Thread: California’s $64 Billion Bullet Train To Nowhere Gets Delayed … Again

California’s $64 Billion Bullet Train To Nowhere Gets Delayed … Again

(From IBD)

That news came from a contract revision that the Obama administration approved late last week. Instead of finishing the first leg of what is supposed to be a High-Speed Rail service from San Francisco to San Diego by 2018, the new deadline is 2022, which will be seven years after the January 2015 groundbreaking.

Even when completed, the first leg will only run from Madera (population 63,105) down to Shafter, a small town north of Bakersfield. Not exactly a heavy transportation corridor.

That stretch, by the way, was picked because it was deemed the most “shovel ready” when the Obama administration was passing out stimulus funds. But even now, the state’s High Speed Rail Authority hasn’t put down any tracks, and has bought up less than half the land it needs in the Central Valley, according to Politico.

http://www.againstcronycapitalism.or...delayed-again/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Boondoggle Express.

If it's going through Bakersfield, it isn't going to directly serve San Francisco at all, unless they convert the Bay Bridge and the BART system to accommodate it. It'll terminate in Oakland or Richmond.

South of Bakersfield, this will hardly be a high speed run, because that stretch goes straight up to Tehachapi. This run has a railroad on it. It was built by the Southern Pacific, which is now part of the Union Pacific. And the Santa Fe, now the BNSF, has trackage rights on it. It's the busiest stretch of single track railroad in the whole world, and the wealth of the world travels on it. It's steep and winding, and its right of way is often barely wider than the trains that use it.

How are they going to build another, different type of line through there without interfering in the extensive business of those two railroads? Why would they, considering no train could possibly traverse the stretch quickly? Why didn't they go down the coast instead? Are they crazy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    If it's going through Bakersfield, it isn't going to directly serve San Francisco at all, unless they convert the Bay Bridge and the BART system to accommodate it. It'll terminate in Oakland or Richmond.

South of Bakersfield, this will hardly be a high speed run, because that stretch goes straight up to Tehachapi. This run has a railroad on it. It was built by the Southern Pacific, which is now part of the Union Pacific. And the Santa Fe, now the BNSF, has trackage rights on it. It's the busiest stretch of single track railroad in the whole world, and the wealth of the world travels on it. It's steep and winding, and its right of way is often barely wider than the trains that use it.

How are they going to build another, different type of line through there without interfering in the extensive business of those two railroads? Why would they, considering no train could possibly traverse the stretch quickly? Why didn't they go down the coast instead? Are they crazy?
    Is that purely a rhetorical question?

DAMN! No wonder they want a bullet train. They're building about as far around the long way as they possibly can without invading Nevada! But it won't do them any good, because they cross ever major mountain range in the state except the Sierra-Nevadas. Not even Bullet Trains can do the curves and grades of mountain trackage quickly.

Los Angeles to Diego via Berdoo? Are they going to outlaw the existing San Diegan just to keep it from embarrassing their Bullet Train by getting there sooner the old fashioned way--by going the right direction?

Thank you for answering my question. These people are crazy.

Liberals love trains. It's a symptom of the disease.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    DAMN! No wonder they want a bullet train. They're building about as far around the long way as they possibly can without invading Nevada! But it won't do them any good, because they cross ever major mountain range in the state except the Sierra-Nevadas. Not even Bullet Trains can do the curves and grades of mountain trackage quickly.

Los Angeles to Diego via Berdoo? Are they going to outlaw the existing San Diegan just to keep it from embarrassing their Bullet Train by getting there sooner the old fashioned way--by going the right direction?

Thank you for answering my question. These people are crazy.

I would have to agree wholeheartedly, besides, I've been there, who in the hell wants to go to Bakersfield or Madera if they don't have to? esp. when you could have much better scenery on the shorter route.

PS. now I also know why it is costing billions and billions to build as well, it isn't cheap to grade through multiple mountains.
    Last edited by libertyjam; 05-25-2016 at 04:27 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wouldn't it be cheaper to just let everybody fly for free between LAX and SFO/SJC?

Quote Originally Posted by libertyjam View Post

I would have to agree wholeheartedly, besides, I've been there, who in the hell wants to go to Bakersfield or Madera if they don't have to? esp. when you could have much better scenery on the shorter route.

PS. now I also know why it is costing billions and billions to build as well, it isn't cheap to grade through multiple mountains.
    Definitely. First they go down the peninsula, then they cut right across a mountain range that no private railroad was ever stupid enough to try to conquer. This lands them in the San Joaquin Valley, which is a box canyon, so they have to squeeze in amongst the SP line over Tehachapi, so they cut back west to LA, then go due east. And both times they abandon that Pacific Ocean scenery which made the Coast Daylight and the San Diegan popular tourist attractions back in the day.

Boondoggle is right.

You can't even call that the Mark of Zorro line, because it forms a double Z. Maybe they'll have ZZ Top play at the ribbon cutting. Except those old men will be long dead by then...

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Wouldn't it be cheaper to just let everybody fly for free between LAX and SFO/SJC?

The US War Machine’s Annual Budget Could Buy Every Homeless American a $1 Million Home (of course everyone would just want to be homeless then)

Guess Bakersfield must be gonna be the new hotspot , LOL

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Guess Bakersfield must be gonna be the new hotspot , LOL
    Stealing from the long time title holder, Needles?

Unban Ronin.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Unban Ronin.
    IIRC, it was his choice.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Liberals love trains. It's a symptom of the disease.
    Yep. Voters approved it. Majority rules, just like when lemmings all agree to run off a cliff together.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    IIRC, it was his choice.

Did he give a reason?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    IIRC, it was his choice.
    not sure about that - http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-beyond-repute

^ that thread just sounded like a bitchfest
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

I bet they use a tunnel boring machine and just tunnel through. Who cares if the cost goes to a trillion.

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

LOL

They're going to settle for a 10.6 billion dollar high speed run from Bakersfield up to Merced.

That's hilarious.

Did he give a reason?
    Best I can remember he told me he was getting in trouble because of his religious posts about Paul. Apparently, people found them offensive and there was some drama. That's what he told me but there are two sides to every story so there ya go..
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Unban Ronin.
    He said he does not want to hang out with you .
    Do something Danke

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There are two Californians Vowing to patronize the rail already ,
    a cotton farmer and a Hay broker,
    they have committed themselves to using the rail at least 9 times per year,
    provided the growing season and markets are favorable.
    Last edited by Stratovarious; 02-12-2019 at 06:32 PM.