Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transgender Teacher Gets $60k After Co-Workers Won’t Call Her ‘They’

Transgender Teacher Gets $60k After Co-Workers Won’t Call Her ‘They’

http://dailycaller.com/2016/05/23/tr...call-her-they/

05/23/2016

A “transmasculine” teacher at an Oregon elementary school has been awarded $60,000 by her school district as compensation for harassment she claims to have suffered on the job, including being referred to by the wrong pronoun.

According to The Oregonian, Leo Soell was born a woman, but now prefers to identify as “transmasculine” and “gender9ueer,” meaning she does not consider herself to be male or female. After getting breast cancer in late 2014, she had her breasts amputated to create a more masculine appearance and changed her name to Leo. Once she returned from medical school in May, 2015, Soell was fully public with her gender-neutral identity.

Once she returned to work, Soell claims she fell victim to relentless harassment from her co-workers. She says employees persisted in calling her hurtful terms like “Miss Soell,” “lady,” and “she.” If a student asked Soell’s sex, she says she was ordered to reply it was a private matter not suitable for discussion at school.

Some teachers were even worse, Soell said. She claimed one teacher screamed at her in the hallway that her gender choice was offensive to God, and she said teachers conspired to use the school’s only gender-neutral bathroom so Soell would have to wait a half-hour or more to use it.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Funny how these "people" are prevalent in government funded jobs yet scarce as hens teeth on construction sites or in private businesses....

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Funny how these "people" are prevalent in government funded jobs yet scarce as hens teeth on construction sites or in private businesses....
    I find your lack of sensitivity disturbing ...

Elementary school....
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Elementary school....
    My kids would be out of there yesterday.

This whole social environment deal is becoming morbidly amusing. In some sense, I look forward to seeing how this all shakes out. Will there be a reckoning with basic midbrain sense, or will SJ Police come to my door and force me to go about in public with dildos issuing from every orifice... or something similarly edifying?
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

When government punishes sexual attitudes, as opposed to crimes against person and property, it interferes with personal freedom and steps beyond the bounds of good law. What's more, when government imposes a social agenda onto the business realm, it deprives everyone of the right to contract freely. In a truly free economy, these laws simply would not exist.

[]

More fundamentally: what is the purpose of law in society? Should it enforce a politically driven perspective on what constitutes virtuous thought and action? That is far too broad a mandate to be compatible with freedom. Law should protect rights: that is, law should prevent and redress acts of violence against person and property. It should not address peacefully expressed conduct, much less presume to police attitudes, however offensive they may be.

[]

Sexual harassment laws are enforced at a moral cost. They do damage to the freedom of speech. They invade privacy. They glorify the government as parental guardian. And the economic costs are immense.

[]

True sexual harassment involves physically invasive behavior. When assault or battery occurs, women should have the opportunity to press criminal charges. When the harassment is verbal, women must be free to confront verbal abuse and refuse to tolerate it. And women should use remedies that almost every company has as a matter of internal policy. In a market economy, there is competition for work environments among firms. But with regulations superimposed on the market, most of the women who report harassment to researchers and the government say they never complained to their employers.
    https://mises.org/library/sex-and-state
    Last edited by presence; 05-24-2016 at 06:37 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post

This whole social environment deal is becoming morbidly amusing. In some sense, I look forward to seeing how this all shakes out. Will there be a reckoning with basic midbrain sense, or will SJ Police come to my door and force me to go about in public with dildos issuing from every orifice... or something similarly edifying?
    I don't see how this all ends well. The nations children being controlled by insane people, what could go wrong?
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hate crime.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Will the issue of abhorrent sexual behavior be "The Issue" that causes proponents of big government to question governments viability?

Doubtful...................

I foresee calls for even more government intervention only this time for a government that does what the offended group wants.......

People are too ignorant to see that government is the problem and not the solution.

Communities are different than governments and permitting members of a community, or the communities themselves, to address government with personal grievances will only empower government. Just as permitting government to oversee and judge communities will empower government.

Until the need to be left alone overrules the need to be provided for communities can expect government to step up and profit handsomely from providing not only what was asked for but what was determined to be in the communities best interests too.

So whether it's h o m o's or religious fundamentalists, foreigners or inbreds, stoners or teetotalers, right-to-lifers or abortion providers that offend your community, by accepting government oversight and her monies you can count on accepting her offensive groups in compromise.

private business are not restricted by the constitution.
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

The articles makes it seem like they awarded him the money because the teachers failed to address him by the proper pronoun but reading more in the story, it turns out that some of the teachers thought they were not just teaching elementary school but were in elementary school themselves and started harassing him.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to say that I am down with the whole gender fluidity behavior, quite frankly, I just don't understand it. But going out of your way to be a dick to your co worker because he/she is a little different is something I cannot tolerate. My solution would be to warn those offenders who can't help but harass the confused man and if they still didn't get the message, I'll fire their asses

Some teachers were even worse, Soell said. She claimed one teacher screamed at her in the hallway that her gender choice was offensive to God, and she said teachers conspired to use the school’s only gender-neutral bathroom so Soell would have to wait a half-hour or more to use it
    And only God knows what other form of real harassment this biased article failed to report on

I foresee calls for even more government intervention only this time for a government that does what the offended group wants.......
    Is it ever any other way?

People are too ignorant to see that government is the problem and not the solution.
    It is way worse than simple ignorance. It is willful ignorance, which itself is but an outward symptom of the internal personal corruption that has taken deep root in the average man.

Communities are different than governments and permitting members of a community, or the communities themselves, to address government with personal grievances will only empower government. Just as permitting government to oversee and judge communities will empower government.
    And yet, when the individual empowers himself, the very government he circumvents comes down on him like 1000 tons of bricks, fresh from the kiln.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

//
    Last edited by osan; 05-24-2016 at 01:51 PM.

I am so glad my grandchildren are going to a private school where everyone knows what gender they are.

........You caught me flat-footed with the notion that you left open the possibility that they would even have set foot in there to begin with.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    HOMESCHOOL WIN!

My wife and I sure do love reading stories like this... we get complete validation, day after day, for making the choice to Homeschool our babies.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    ........You caught me flat-footed with the notion that you left open the possibility that they would even have set foot in there to begin with.
    Not MINE specifically. I was speaking in the general.

"They" obviously don't teach math. "They" would know that "they" are really one person.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I looked up the definition of they. I'm getting gender confused.

they
    T͟Hā/Submit
    pronoun
    pronoun: they
    used to refer to two or more people or things previously mentioned or easily identified.
    "the two men could get life sentences if they are convicted"
    people in general.
    "the rest, as they say, is history"
    informal
    a group of people in authority regarded collectively.
    "they cut my water off"
    used to refer to a person of unspecified sex.
    "ask someone if they could help"
    https://www.google.com/search?source...7j0l5.5443j0j7
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Either its a valid workplace harassment claim or it's not. The district settled prior to court proceedings. The daily caller lifted the story from a different source and left out key details in order to get more clicks to their website and ad revenue.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I looked up the definition of they. I'm getting gender confused.
    Don't try to be politically correct and you'll stop being confused...

Trying to understand or empathize with people who are confused tends to leave regular folks feeling confused...

ever seen idiocracy? that is how this all shakes out.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    The articles makes it seem like they awarded him the money because the teachers failed to address him by the proper pronoun but reading more in the story, it turns out that some of the teachers thought they were not just teaching elementary school but were in elementary school themselves and started harassing him.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to say that I am down with the whole gender fluidity behavior, quite frankly, I just don't understand it. But going out of your way to be a dick to your co worker because he/she is a little different is something I cannot tolerate. My solution would be to warn those offenders who can't help but harass the confused man and if they still didn't get the message, I'll fire their asses

And only God knows what other form of real harassment this biased article failed to report on
    A district investigation, which officials have declined to release, found no proof of harassment.

But Gresham-Barlow officials agreed to a settlement this month that compensates Soell for emotional damages. District leaders also agreed to add gender-neutral bathrooms to all schools, create clear policies about transgender teachers and host mandatory trainings for all Gresham principals, as well as Hall staff.

Soell's case illustrates a gap in the major civil rights fight of the moment: Even as the Oregon and federal departments of education have directed schools to better accommodate transgender students, no such guidelines exist for transgender teachers.http://www.oregonlive.com/education/...ender_tea.html
    juleswin, you're smarter than that.
    "The Patriarch"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    ever seen idiocracy? that is how this all shakes out.
    Yes, I have seen it. A great idea with a horrible execution. Could have been a classic flick. But your point is well taken and I have pondered this very thought myself many times, with ever growing frequency.

If you think about it, it is a perfect strategy for Themme. Reduce the populace to the status of rank idiots and helpless infants and you have them by the parts. Orwell's vision lies at the heart of Theire new world order, but Huxley's showed the daily reality, the face of the world if you will. Why oppress in obvious fashion when you can make it look like a party? The former gets people uptight, angry, and ready to bust heads, whereas the latter results in lots of erections and all manner of harmless carrying on that dissipates the tension and fear, provides people with something they think they want, and thereby cements their positions as MereCogs who will not only go for the scheme, but will risk their own safety to protect and perpetuate it. It's a perfect strategy and it will almost certainly come to reality's pass. True freedom has no future in this world, but I'm getting old and have no intentions of going quietly into that dark night. I will resist even when there is no hope... unless they offer me really bad girls who will allow me to do all the sick and twisted things that roll around in my head. In that case I will lay down and say screw it. Literally.

Yes, I have seen it. A great idea with a horrible execution. Could have been a classic flick. But your point is well taken and I have pondered this very thought myself many times, with ever growing frequency.

If you think about it, it is a perfect strategy for Themme. Reduce the populace to the status of rank idiots and helpless infants and you have them by the parts. Orwell's vision lies at the heart of Theire new world order, but Huxley's showed the daily reality, the face of the world if you will. Why oppress in obvious fashion when you can make it look like a party? The former gets people uptight, angry, and ready to bust heads, whereas the latter results in lots of erections and all manner of harmless carrying on that dissipates the tension and fear, provides people with something they think they want, and thereby cements their positions as MereCogs who will not only go for the scheme, but will risk their own safety to protect and perpetuate it. It's a perfect strategy and it will almost certainly come to reality's pass. True freedom has no future in this world, but I'm getting old and have no intentions of going quietly into that dark night. I will resist even when there is no hope... unless they offer me really bad girls who will allow me to do all the sick and twisted things that roll around in my head. In that case I will lay down and say screw it. Literally.
    Lol, where is that 'best of osan' thread?
    "The Patriarch"

juleswin, you're smarter than that.
    You bring up a good point and that is the possibility of the whole thing being a made up harassment. Still the article should have covered it as the main story i.e. put more emphasis on the harassment accusation instead of the sensational side story of "he sued because of not being referred to by the right pronoun"

Also, be honest with me, would you believe a Police department if they investigated their own and found their people not guilty? If no, then why believe a school district for doing the same. If he was truly harassed at work then I am not too bothered with the payout.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    If he was truly harassed at work then I am not too bothered with the payout.
    I'm thinking you may want to rethink this a bit.

Ask yourself where, precisely, did that money come from? That's a gimme clue.

There is a transgendered master electrician here in Birmingham. She came out as transgendered on a Wednesday morning while doing the underground on a $400 million hospital. Aside from a few odd looks, it has never been an issue and she is one of the finest electricians you'll ever meet. That is on construction sites in Alabama (and elsewhere as she works for a large international EC based out of Birmingham) ; contrast that to these people in a more "refined" profession being dicks for no reason.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm thinking you may want to rethink this a bit.

Ask yourself where, precisely, did that money come from? That's a gimme clue.
    From the school's insurance policy? Regardless of where the money is coming from, it is only $60k and of that 60k, about 15k would be going back to the govt in taxes. If paying out a token amount is what it takes to get these guys to be serious about workplace harassment? then so be it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast