Thread: Shootings running 50 percent higher than last year as Chicago braces for the summer

Shootings running 50 percent higher than last year as Chicago braces for the summer

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...523-story.html

The number of people shot in Chicago is running 50 percent above this time last year as the city braces for the summer, traditionally its most violent period.

So far this year, at least 1,382 people have been shot in Chicago and at least 244 of them have died of their wounds. Last year at this time, 904 people had been shot, 157 of them fatally.

May already has seen summerlike gun violence. More people have been killed so far this month than in all of May 2015.

The toll from this past weekend was five dead and 40 wounded in shootings. Two weeks earlier, over the Mother's Day weekend, eight people were killed and 42 were wounded in Chicago, the city's most violent since the end of September, according to a Tribune analysis.

Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson released a brief statement over the weekend saying, “As we look toward the summer months ... violence will not be tolerated."

Johnson included no details on how his department plans to fight it. But the department sent out a request last Friday asking for volunteers to work overtime during the Memorial Day weekend.

During the Memorial Day weekend last year, 12 people were killed and 44 were wounded, a toll only slightly higher than the previous weekend.

The casualties from this past weekend included a dispatcher for the city's 311 system who was shot and killed as she left a Starbucks about two blocks from police headquarters. Yvonne Nelson was hit in the chest when a gunman opened fire on a rival nearby, police said.

On Saturday evening, nine people were shot -- one fatally -- in about an hour and a half, according to police. That included two separate incidents in which three people were wounded by gunfire and a shooting in Englewood that left a 26-year-old man dead.
    Englewood saw another fatal shooting outside a liquor store at Garfield Boulevard and State Street. Semial Sigle was fighting with two other men outside Midway Liquors after midnight Saturday when someone fired shots, hitting him in the chest. He was taken to Stroger Hospital and pronounced dead.

Less than three hours later, police responding to the back of a residence in the 7900 block of South Ellis Avenue found Michael Wickliffe with gunshot wounds to the abdomen and arm. Wickliffe, of suburban Harvey, was pronounced dead at Jackson Park Hospital.

The weekend’s most recent homicide was Sunday afternoon in Park Manor, when 20-year-old Gregory Carr was shot several times in a drive-by. He lived less than a block away from where he was killed, officials said.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We need a commonsense solution to this rising gun violence.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    We need a commonsense solution to this rising gun violence.
    We need to have a confarsation.

Laws will surely fix this!

Strict, no nonsense gun laws will stop this violence!

Oh-wait..............

Does Chicago need "The Purge"?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Does Chicago need "The Purge"?
    Sounds like they think so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

Impossible.

Guns are banned, for all intents and purposes, in Chicago.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Has anyone tried asking the shooters to submit to a universal background check?

Obviously Chicago needs to order bigger stickers... apparently some rude people don't seem to understand that Chicago is a gun free zone.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well...to me it sounds like they have a self correcting problem.

Perhaps Black Lives Matter will go in and stop the violence?
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

I say let it burn to the waterline. It's CHICAGO, after all.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.