Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Now experts say low fat diets are BAD for us

Asians have low rates of cancers and heart disease and live longer that we typically do. And they don't eat much meat. Their diet is low fat and lots of vegetables.

http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/t...nal-asian-diet

Folks in Asian countries tend to have lower rates of cancer, heart disease, and obesity than Americans, and they typically live longer, too. Researchers suspect that owes largely to their diet: a low-fat, healthy eating style that emphasizes rice, vegetables, fresh fruit, and fish, with very little red meat.
    How does The Traditional Asian Diet work?

It depends – there isn’t one Asian diet. Working with the Cornell-China-Oxford Project on Nutrition, Health, and Environment, Oldways, a nonprofit food think tank in Boston, developed a consumer-friendly Asian diet pyramid that revolves around daily consumption of rice, noodles, breads, millet, corn and other whole grains, along with fruits, veggies, legumes, seeds, nuts and vegetable oils. Fish and shellfish (or dairy) are optional each day, and you can have eggs, poultry and something sweet once a week. Red meat is allowed once a month. The pyramid also calls for six glasses of water or tea each day; sake, wine, and beer are OK in moderation. Remember to stay physically active, and you’re set.

Examples of Asian diet veggies and tubers include: bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, bitter melon, bok choy, carrots, eggplant, galangal, leeks, sweet potatoes, taro root, turnips, and yams. Fruits range from apricots, coconut, and mangoes, to rambutan and tangerines. Oldways suggests getting your grains by focusing on barley, dumplings, naan, buckwheat, rice, and noodles (such as soba, somen, rice, and udon). Examples of fish and seafood are abalone, clams, cockles, eel, mussels, and octopus. And don’t forget herbs and spices like amchoor, basil, clove, masala, mint, turmeric, curry leaves, and fennel.

Because this is an eating pattern – not a structured diet plan – you’re on your own to figure out how many calories you should eat to lose or maintain your weight, what you’ll do to stay active, and how you’ll shape your Asian menu.

The Asian diet’s geographical base is broad, spanning Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, North Korea, South Korea, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam, among other countries. Each Asian region has its own distinct flavors and cooking styles, but they all share one food in common: rice. It’s a widespread staple, though it’s prepared and eaten differently from place to place. It’s used, for example, as a main ingredient in treats like cake and candy, fermented to make wine or beer, and offered to the Gods to ensure a good harvest.
    It isn't all just genetics either. As they become more "Americanized" and consume a more "American diet" their health becomes more like the rest of us too. Tossing soy sauce on vegetables and rice isn't exactly eating an Asian diet. They also tend to eat a large variety of foods in smaller amounts than we do.

Even though the Asian diet is linked with weight loss, followers are often compelled to abandon their traditional ways when they move to the United States, conforming instead to the standard American diet. In one study, researchers at the University of California at Berkeley analyzed whether the desire to fit in might cause U.S. immigrant groups to eat less healthy foods. They found that Asian Americans who were questioned about their ability to speak English were three times more likely to name a prototypically American food as their favorite. When their American identity was challenged, they ordered and ate more typically American dishes, consuming 182 extra calories and 12 additional grams of fat per day than they did when their identities weren’t challenged.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 05-25-2016 at 12:55 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Where are the stats they have lower life expectancy?
    The ones on welfare who eat a bunch of grains shipped in from the west probably.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Asians have low rates of cancers and heart disease and live longer that we typically do. And they don't eat much meat. Their diet is low fat and lots of vegetables.

Most asians I know love red meat.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

And now that they are becoming more wealthy, they are eating more closer to the western diet by eating more meat and dairy and their rate of obesity and diabetes is going through the roof. People just don't want to hear the truth about what diets higher in animal foods will do. I guess when you get used to eating like kings and queens, you don't want to go back closer to eating like peasants.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by farreri View Post
    Zippy just posted them.

Not true.

"even if you eat foods without cholesterol, the carbs, fats and proteins all break down eventually and release carbon, which your liver turns into cholesterol."
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/dise...olesterol1.htm

This is a biased low carb site that has to promote drinking lots of coffee to have energy on their recommended low carb diet. If you look at sites promoting high carb diets, they never promote coffee, but virtually ALL low carb sites do. I wonder why?!

I should have said the use for statins, not the need as you don't need them even if you want to lower your cholesterol. All you have to do to lower your cholesterol is lower your intake of animal products.

Well since I think too much cholesterol is unhealthy, so I wouldn't technically call them a scam (they do lower cholesterol as advertised), but definitely not needed unless you're lazy or too spoiled to want to reduce your intake of animal foods.
    I had high cholesterol when I was 16. I never paid any attention to it. My older brother was dumb enough to take statins because doctors. He finally stopped though. There isn't even any heart disease history in our family.
    "The Patriarch"

This is one thing I do agree with Donnay on- that statins are powerful and potentially dangerous drugs. They are prescribed much more than they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I had high cholesterol when I was 16. I never paid any attention to it. My older brother was dumb enough to take statins because doctors. He finally stopped though. There isn't even any heart disease history in our family.
    If heart disease is strictly a genetic thing, then the rates would not keep increasing like they are doing. Yes, I think it's dumb to take statins just like it's dumb to take any shortcut route instead of fixing the root of the problem. If you want to lower your cholesterol, lower your intake of cholesterol-containing foods. It's not exactly rocket science.

If heart disease is strictly a genetic thing, then the rates would not keep increasing like they are doing. Yes, I think it's dumb to take statins just like it's dumb to take any shortcut route instead of fixing the root of the problem. If you want to lower your cholesterol, lower your intake of cholesterol-containing foods. It's not exactly rocket science.
    I just don't worry about it.
    "The Patriarch"

Zippy just posted them.
    Although access to stores and Western food has caused the Inuit diet to shift toward westernized eating, their own historical diet is fascinating. A vegetarian would have a hard time living with a traditional Inuit tribe. Because they live in a barren, cold environment, their diet is heavily based on different meats and only occasionally features some berries and seaweed. Even in modern times, fruit and vegetables are scarce and expensive to import, so they still rely on the land quite a bit.

Inuit have always been expert hunters that can (and will) capture almost anything. The meats they consume include caribou, narwhal, walrus, seal, and various fish and birds. Even polar bears sometimes appear on the menu. There are many traditional ways to prepare food: drying, cooking in seal oil, or burying it until it ferments naturally. Some foods aren’t cooked at all. Some consider frozen, raw whitefish a delicacy.

Although it’s easy to think that a diet that relies so heavily on meat leads to serious health problems, the Inuit who follow this diet are actually among the healthiest people in the world. This “Inuit Paradox” has long been the subject of considerable scientific interest.
    http://listverse.com/2013/09/09/10-f...about-eskimos/

Not true.

"even if you eat foods without cholesterol, the carbs, fats and proteins all break down eventually and release carbon, which your liver turns into cholesterol."
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/dise...olesterol1.htm

This is a biased low carb site that has to promote drinking lots of coffee to have energy on their recommended low carb diet. If you look at sites promoting high carb diets, they never promote coffee, but virtually ALL low carb sites do. I wonder why?!

The body requires insulin to process carbohydrates, but NOT to process fats. And even though fat contains more calories than carbohydrates, it is actually carbohydrates that are stored in the body as fat.

Before the discovery of insulin, the only treatment for diabetes was a very high-fat, zero-carb diet. Because fats slow down the entry of sugar into the bloodstream, it is good for diabetics, and for everyone, to eat fats together with carbohydrates. Dietary fats assist in lowering the glycemic index of carbohydrate foods and help to stabilize blood sugar.

Saturated fats do not cause insulin resistance. Trans-fats are the culprits that cause insulin resistance, yet sadly researchers often confuse trans-fats with saturated fats. When people are told to stop eating saturated fats, unfortunately they can end up eating more trans-fats instead.

Consuming saturated fats (coconut oil, butter, lard, and meat fat) helps to protect against the damaging effects of polyunsaturated vegetable oils and trans-fats, which are relatively new to the human diet.
    https://www.coconutsecret.com/saturatedfats2.html

I should have said the use for statins, not the need as you don't need them even if you want to lower your cholesterol. All you have to do to lower your cholesterol is lower your intake of animal products.

Well since I think too much cholesterol is unhealthy, so I wouldn't technically call them a scam (they do lower cholesterol as advertised), but definitely not needed unless you're lazy or too spoiled to want to reduce your intake of animal foods.
    It is now believed that cholesterol is not the cause of heart disease but rather a potent antioxidant weapon against free radicals in the blood, and a repair substance that helps heal arterial damage. High serum cholesterol levels often indicate that the body needs cholesterol to protect itself from high levels of free-radical-containing fats. It is needed in a poorly nourished body to actually protect our bodies from a tendency towards heart disease and cancer.

The cause of heart disease is no longer attributed to saturated fats and cholesterol, but rather a number of factors inherent in modern diets, including an excess consumption of vegetable oils and hydrogenated fats. The onset of pathogenic plaque leading to heart disease, has now been associated with the disappearance of antimicrobial saturated fats from the food supply that once protected us against viruses and bacteria, such as tropical oils like coconut and palm, as well as animal fats like raw dairy, lard, tallow, etc.

In a study published over a decade ago on cooking oils in the Journal of the Indian Medical Association, a New Delhi hospital compared modern day polyunsaturated oils (such as sunflower, safflower, soy and corn oils) to coconut oil in relation to heart disease and Type II diabetes. The researchers found that while heart disease and diabetes had increased with consumption of polyunsaturated vegetable and seed oils, it decreased with traditional oils like coconut oil.

Numerous population studies have shown that people living in countries where large quantities of coconut oil and other saturated fats are consumed, have remarkably good cardiovascular health.

At first this observation confused many researchers, because they did not recognize the difference between medium chain fatty acids (MCFA) and other fats. New research however, has demonstrated that the MCFAs in coconut oil protect against heart disease.
    https://www.coconutsecret.com/saturatedfats2.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

https://www.coconutsecret.com
    I'll take your arguments more serious if you don't post evidence from commercial sites trying to hype the products they're selling.

it is actually carbohydrates that are stored in the body as fat.
    Then how come this girl, who practically only eats carbs--and copious amounts at that, is rail thin?
    Last edited by farreri; 05-25-2016 at 11:35 AM.

I'll take your arguments more serious if you don't post evidence from commercial sites trying to hype the products they're selling.
    No you won't.

Then how come this girl, who practically only eats carbs--and copious amounts at that, is rail thin?
    She doesn't look healthy to me--she looks malnurioused. Has no muscle tone. Hair is thin, frizzy and dry. Her boobs are fake.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

No you won't.
    Don't be so close minded.

She doesn't look healthy to me--she looks malnurioused. Has no muscle tone. Hair is thin, frizzy and dry. Her boobs are fake.
    It's obvious you don't like that girl, probably because she's vegan and preaches a low fat diet, because you didn't even answer my question.

From the unbiased source you posted (lol), it said "it is actually carbohydrates that are stored in the body as fat." My question was if that is so, how come that Freelee girl is so thin that she looks malnourished to you? Why isn't she morbidly obese from eating more carbs that practically anyone on the planet?

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Most likely won the genetic lottery. Same reason some guys put on muscle mass ridiculously esaily (ala Kali Muscle) and some of us are hard-gainers. Outliers don't determine rules. The typical person should stick to a nutrition plan designed for their lifestyle.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 05-25-2016 at 01:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Most likely won the genetic lottery. Same reason some guys put on muscle mass ridiculously esaily and some of us are hard-gainers. Outliers don't determine rules. The typical person should stick to a nutrition plan designed for their lifestyle.
    That and she probably does do a lot of exercise.. if she ate more fat and protein and less carbs, she would have more muscle tone.

(Before/after paleo)

(Before exercise/diet)

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Most likely won the genetic lottery.
    Her boyfriend is very lean too on the same high carb diet. She used to be plump when she ate the typical heavy meat and dairy diet the average Australian/American eats while also exercising more than she does now. That doesn't sound like good genes to me. Sounds like it's the right diet.

Same reason some guys put on muscle mass ridiculously esaily (ala Kali Muscle) and some of us are hard-gainers.
    You think Kali Muscle is full natty brah? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    if she ate more fat and protein and less carbs, she would have more muscle tone.
    You don't think this is good muscle tone?

As expected after sharing my last pic I was hit with the typical comments of "you're too skinny! Ugh anorexic, boney, I'm concerned, gross eat something!" (particularly on Facebook). These are NOT the legs of someone starving themselves who can barely walk around the block! These are the muscles of someone who has excellent blood tests, is strong, fit, and healthy and who NEVER restricts calories. Learn the difference before looking like a jealous out of shape hater #societyctfu

https://www.facebook.com/TheBananaGi...type=3&theater

You don't think this is good muscle tone?

It's weird, it's like her quads are huge, like the hugest I've ever seen on a normal looking female, but every other muscle on her body is tiny..

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's weird, it's like her quads are huge, like the hugest I've ever seen on a normal looking female, but every other muscle on her body is tiny..
    She's a cyclist with a classic cyclist's physique; muscly legs with a thin upper body.

The fats that will keep you slim: Why you should be eating avocado, yoghurts and LARD (and putting margarine in the bin)

By Emily Chan and Anucyia Victor for MailOnline
    Published: 04:01 EST, 26 May 2016

The debate over the amount of fat in our diet has just become more confusing thanks to a new report.

After a study released earlier this week suggested that low fat diets are doing more harm than good, many people who thought they were health conscious are now contemplating an entirely new eating plan embracing the very ingredient they believed was the enemy.

So which fats should we embrace, and which are still no-nos? FEMAIL talked to the experts to find out.

The report by the National Obesity Forum and the Public Health Collaboration said the advice to cut back on butter, cream, cheese and other types of fatty foods is wrong.

It states: 'Eating a diet rich in full-fat dairy – such as cheese, milk and yoghurt – can actually lower the chance of obesity.

'The most natural and nutritious foods available – meat, fish, eggs, dairy products, nuts, seeds, olives, avocados – all contain saturated fat.'

The authors behind the report say saturated fat does not cause heart disease, while full fat diary can actually protect the heart.

But nutritionist Sarah Flower told FEMAIL that the report does not give us a free pass to eat all fatty foods.

'We have all been conditioned to avoid fats since the 1970s so to suddenly hear that fat is good, causes confusion,' she said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/fo...fats-slim.html

Reposting the article in the OP?

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Reposting the article in the OP?
    Not the same article.

It is another source of the exact same story. Both citing the same source.

The link you just posted:

The report by the National Obesity Forum and the Public Health Collaboration said the advice to cut back on butter, cream, cheese and other types of fatty foods is wrong.
    the OP:

In a damning report that accuses major public health bodies of colluding with the food industry, the National Obesity Forum and the Public Health Collaboration said most of what we are told about healthy eating is wrong.
    Also published within a couple of days from each other.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 05-26-2016 at 01:25 PM.

It is another source of the exact same story.

The link you just posted:

the OP:
    Uh huh...

The meat, dairy, and egg associations have been spending many millions in the last couple decades to skew science for these kinds of headline news to keep confusing people about the truth. They are funding most of these pro-fat studies which is such a conflict of interest.

Nuts and oils have good fats (less saturated). Those are good for you. You must have a fairly high metabolism (I used to- things have slowed down lately- started in mid 30's).

If you like a full fat yogurt- check these out. Best I have ever had. http://www.noosayoghurt.com/

Kinda pricey though. The grocery store near me sells them for about $2.00- when on sale. Really creamy. In Colorado (where they are made) I saw them for about $1.50.
    I just buy cream from the local dairy and make my own and put fruit in it if I want when I eat it.

That sounds good too!

The meat, dairy, and egg associations have been spending many millions in the last couple decades to skew science for these kinds of headline news to keep confusing people about the truth. They are funding most of these pro-fat studies which is such a conflict of interest.
    What you seemingly miss through this whole thread is that for over 40 years the science got behind low fat/no fat diets and we have seen chronic illnesses and obesity boom.

I don't need some scientists who were paid by some special interest group to tell me their theory has failed miserably.

It's really sad how basic common sense has taken a back seat in this country because some scientist said, "Blah, blah, blah..."

What does the average American who is obese actually eat? Is it low fat with lots of fruits and vegetables? Is the recommendations which failed? Or is it the failure of people to follow them?

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philp...iet-sad-charts

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 05-26-2016 at 01:38 PM.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What does the average American who is obese actually eat? Is it low fat with lots of fruits and vegetables? Is the recommendations which failed? Or is it the failure of people to follow them?

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philp...iet-sad-charts

That article is not specific to obese people. It does not even define "obese". I have known many rail-thin people who regularly eat what the article calls crap food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

What you seemingly miss through this whole thread is that for over 40 years the science got behind low fat/no fat diets and we have seen chronic illnesses and obesity boom.
    Zippy just posted basically what I was going to say, how many of these overweight people were actually following a true low fat diet?

I don't need some scientists who were paid by some special interest group to tell me their theory has failed miserably.
    The science has been skewed by the big meat, dairy, and egg industry who've been funding a lot of these studies are bankrolling the scientists involved. You guys always rail against big agra. You really think big meat/dairy/egg industry has their hands clean?!

It's really sad how basic common sense has taken a back seat in this country because some scientist said, "Blah, blah, blah..."
    Common sense about our anatomy tells us we're supposed by eat plant-based. We have long intestinal tracks like herbivores. We have teeth closest to herbivores. We don't have claws and aren't very fast compared to hunter species. We can't make Vitamin C which is found abundant in plant sources. And the rest of the great ape family we're a part of are plant-based eaters.

You're being suckered by the meat, dairy, and egg industries.

Got to ask, what can you eat on a no-fat diet?
    Last edited by farreri; 05-26-2016 at 02:41 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast