Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Now experts say low fat diets are BAD for us

Quote Originally Posted by farreri View Post
    Zippy just posted basically what I was going to say, how many of these overweight people were actually following a true low fat diet?

The science has been skewed by the big meat, dairy, and egg industry who've been funding a lot of these studies are bankrolling the scientists involved. You guys always rail against big agra. You really think big meat/dairy/egg industry has their hands clean?!

Common sense about our anatomy tells us we're supposed by eat plant-based. We have long intestinal tracks like herbivores. We have teeth closest to herbivores. We don't have claws and aren't very fast compared to hunter species. We can't make Vitamin C which is found abundant in plant sources. And the rest of the great ape family we're a part of are plant-based eaters.

You're being suckered by the meat, dairy, and egg industries.

Got to ask, what can you eat on a no-fat diet?
    Nonsense. Please attend a nutrition science class based on modern, proven science. You don't understand macronutrients. Your "common sense" may be common, but it's also wrong (for most people-and all but a few active people who won the genetic lottery).
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My policy: just eat as much 'real' food as I possibly can and ignore all studies/rhetoric, etc.. Everyone has a viewpoint on nutrition and none of us know which viewpoint is best, and probably none of them is universally better than the rest. Eat when your hungry and stop stressing over food. Your body will thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    My policy: just eat as much 'real' food as I possibly can and ignore all studies/rhetoric, etc.. Everyone has a viewpoint on nutrition and none of us know which viewpoint is best, and probably none of them is universally better than the rest. Eat when your hungry and stop stressing over food. Your body will thank you.
    Cool policy, bro.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

The science has been skewed by the big meat, dairy, and egg industry who've been funding a lot of these studies are bankrolling the scientists involved. You guys always rail against big agra. You really think big meat/dairy/egg industry has their hands clean?!
    I am sure there is skewing on both sides. Big Agra has the advantages since they have the USDA to be their attack dog too. I am not talking about factory farm food. I am talking about clean food, that is raised the way they are supposed to be raised and aren't fed chemical-laden grains and given antibiotics and steroids.

Common sense about our anatomy tells us we're supposed by eat plant-based. We have long intestinal tracks like herbivores. We have teeth closest to herbivores. We don't have claws and aren't very fast compared to hunter species. We can't make Vitamin C which is found abundant in plant sources. And the rest of the great ape family we're a part of are plant-based eaters.
    That's not common sense, we do have canine teeth. Also if you believe in the Bible then you would know that the Creator made us to eat meat. Leviticus 11 KJV

You're being suckered by the meat, dairy, and egg industries.
    I cannot be a sucker to that industry, I already explained my position above.

Got to ask, what can you eat on a no-fat diet?
    No fat is fat-free.

Bagels

Lenders Brand: Garlic, Onion and Plain

Thomas New York Style Bagels Plain

Breakfast Bars

Betty Crocker Sweet Rewards Fat Free: Blueberry, Brownie, Double Fudge, Strawberry

Health Valley Fat Free Fruit Bars: Apple, Apricot

Health Valley Fat Free Blueberry Breakfast Bakes

Health Valley Fat Free Blueberry Granola Bars

Health Valley Fat Free Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

Healthy Choice Chocolate Sandwich Bar

Healthy Choice Fat Free Chocolate Chip

Healthy Choice Fat Free Granola Blueberry-Apple

Healthy Choice Fat Free Strawberry

Cereal

General Mills: KIX, Lucky Charms

Health Valley: Blue Corn Flakes, Fat Free Granola Os, Healthy Fiber Multi Bran Flakes, Fiber 7 Flakes

Kelloggs: All Bran, Apple Jacks, Common Sense Oat Bran, Frosted Flakes, Raisin Bran, Rice Krispies

Nabisco: Cream of Rice, Cream of Wheat Brown Sugar Cinnamon, Cream of Wheat Original

Quaker Oats: Life, Oat Bran Hot Cereal, Puffed Rice, Puffed Wheat

*You’ve decided to have a barbeque during the weekend. What foods or condiments contain no fat?

Barbeque Sauce

Heinz Thick Rich Fat Free

KC Masterpiece: Mesquite and Hickory Flavor

Lea Perrins Original

Bulls-Eye Original

Baked Beans

Bushs Vegetarian Baked Beans

Heinz Vegetarian Beans No Meat

S&W Fat Free Baked Beans With Maple Sugar

Burgers

Boca Meatless Ground Burger

Franklin Farms Chili-Burger

Gardenburger Veggie Medley

Yves The Good Burger

Morningstar Farms Ground Meatless

*You want to make a sandwich. What bread contains no fat?

Bread

Country Hearth 99% Fat Free

Natures Own Light: Premium White, Sourdough, White

Thomas Pita Bread White and Wheat

Deli Farms International Plain Pita

Wolferman Deluxe English Muffins Low Fat

Wonder Light

*Want to treat yourself to a little something sweet? Is it no wonder that the small Tic Tacs (all flavors) have no fat in them. What other sweets offer no fat?

Cake and Brownie Mixes

Angel Food Cake Mix

Arrowhead Mills Brownie Mix

Betty Crocker Fat Free Sweet Rewards- Chocolate Brownie Mix, Lemon

Cookies

<>

Famous Amos Fat Free: Chocolate Brownie, Fig Fruit Bars, Strawberry Bars

Frookie Fat Free: Apple Spice, Lemon Wafers, Vanilla Wafers, Banana, Cranberry Orange, Devils Food

Pepperidge Farm Fat Free: Fudge Brownie, Blondie

Weight Watchers Smart Snackers Fig Fruit Filled

Candy

Brocks: Candy Corn, Glitters, Orange Slices

Certs: Wintergreen

Jolly Ranchers Assorted Candies

Live Savers: Regular Fruit Flavors

Ocean Spray Fruit Waves Hard Candy

Tic-Tacs (all flavors)

Ice Cream and Popsicles

Edy’s Fat Free

<>

Hagen-Daz Sorbet Popsicle: Chocolate, Wild Berry

Klondike Fat Free Big Bear Ice Cream Sandwich

Luigis Italian Ice

Mama Tishs Italian Ices

Minute Maid Juice Bars

Popsicle: Fantastic Fruity Pops, Firecracker, Fruit Flavored

Starburst Fruit Juice Bars

Welchs Light Fruit Juice Bars

Pudding

Hunts Fat Free Chocolate Pudding

Jell-O Cook and Serve Chocolate

Jell-O Fat Free: Pudding and Pudding Snacks Chocolate, Tapioca Pudding Snack Fat Free

Jell-O Gelatin: All Flavors

Jell-O Instant: Chocolate, Vanilla

Jell-O Rice Pudding

Royal Carmel Custard

Royal Gelatin: All Flavors

Swiss Miss Fat Free Vanilla Pudding Snack

*If you’re a snacker, grab a cracker. Here are some crackers with no fat:

Crackers

Nabisco Fat Free Saltine

Snackwell Fate Free: Cracked Pepper Crackers, Wheat

Venus Fat Free Crackers: Garden Vegetable, Garlic Herb, Multi-Grain, Toasted Onion, Toasted Wheat

*You’re supposed to get at least five servings-a -day of fruits and vegetables. Which ones contain no fat?

Fruits and Vegetables

Apples, bananas, asparagus, cabbage, all citrus varieties, carrots, celery, cherries, cranberry juice, lettuce, pears, peaches, tomato, sauerkraut and all brands of fruit cocktail

*Ready to spend the night with a movie and a bowl of popcorn and a glass of… Which brands offer no fat?

Popcorn

ACT II 99% Fat Free Microwave Popcorn

Vics Gourmet Caramel Popcorn Fat Free

Weight Watchers Microwave Popcorn

Soda and Other Drinks

Lipton Teas, A & W Cream Soda, 7-Up, Canada Dry, Country Time Lemonade, Diet Coke, Hawaiian Punch, Tahiti Treat, Diet Pepsi, IBC Cream Soda, Hires Root Beer, IBC Diet Root Beer, RC Cola, All Flavors of Snapple, Sprite and Sunkist
    http://www.free-fad-diets.com/a-list...ds-to-buy.html

And people wonder why so many people are obese.
    Last edited by donnay; 05-26-2016 at 07:17 PM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I am sure there is skewing on both sides. Big Agra has the advantages since they have the USDA to be their attack dog too. I am not talking about factory farm food. I am talking about clean food, that is raised the way they are supposed to be raised and aren't fed chemical-laden grains and given antibiotics and steroids.

That's not common sense, we do have canine teeth. Also if you believe in the Bible then you would know that the Creator made us to eat meat. Leviticus 11 KJV

No fat is fat-free.

Our teeth and our digestive system are very different from that of carnivores. We are omnivores- designed to eat a wide variety of foods. Our canines are too small to rip animal flesh to eat. We can eat meat but are not optimized for it.

Eat fat to stay slim: Sceptical? So was SARAH VINE until she tried a diet revolution that she's kept up for over a year

By Sarah Vine for the Daily Mail
    Published: 16:53 EST, 12 June 2016

First of all, a disclaimer: I’d never say I was perfect.

I would not be seen dead in a bikini and the last time my upper arms saw the light of day, the Queen Mum (gawd bless her) was still knocking back pink gins and having a flutter on the 3.45 at Aintree.

My spaghetti ain’t courgetti - and though I try my best to be a sugar-free zone, the occasional scoop of ice cream does, I’m ashamed to say, find its way into my gullet. Washed down, more often than not, with a nice glass of wine.

That said, knocking on 50, fully menopausal and with a long-term underactive thyroid condition (in weight loss terms, a bit like running the London Marathon with a small elephant strapped to your ankles), I am in better physical nick than I’ve been for more than a decade.

I still have too much visceral fat (the technical term for a spare tyre), but the rest of me, when I scrutinise my carcass in a full-length mirror, is... well, it’s OK. Not going to win any beauty pageants, I’ll grant you, but presentable.

To what do I owe this very pleasing transformation?

To nutritionist and personal trainer Zana Morris, an affable Irishwoman who, long before the National Obesity Forum (NOF) announced that eating fat could help keep weight off, introduced me via her revolutionary book - The High Fat Diet - to a way of eating that, despite my persistent cheating and ongoing lack of discipline, has transformed my shape.

Just to recap: two weeks ago, the NOF published a report that sent seismic waves through the diet industry and got a lot of people very hot under the collar.

In a nutshell, the charity overturned decades of perceived wisdom about the benefits of a low-fat diet in preventing heart disease and high cholesterol.

Instead of insisting on a low-calorie, low-fat diet, the authors of the report claimed that a diet rich in ‘good’ fats - avocado, cheese, fresh meat and dairy products - could help protect the heart and lower levels of obesity.

In particular, anything labelled ‘low-fat’, ‘lite’ or ‘low cholesterol’ was to be avoided like the plague, and people should return to eating natural, unadulterated foods.

What ought to have triggered an interesting debate instead triggered various knee-jerk reactions.

Public Health England (PHE) dismissed the report as an ‘opinion’ paper and called it irresponsible and misleading.

It reiterated its advice to ‘base meals on starchy carbohydrates, especially wholegrains’, ‘eat at least five portions of a variety of fruit and vegetables each day’ and ‘cut back on food and drink high in saturated fat, salt, sugar and calories’.

This advice is not wholly wrong, of course. But it is stubbornly resistant to certain aspects of the NOF report that suggest a more intelligent approach to tackling obesity is needed.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...evolution.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I eat real butter..lots of nuts and seeds,avocados, olive oil. My LDL is 104. Working to get it below 100. My doctor said he can't believe I lowered it without statins.

Those are mostly healthy oils (less saturated). Good for you!

No fat is fat-free.

You need to carefully read labels on things labeled "fat free" or "Sugar free". If it contains less than three grams per serving- not zero. What some things do is reduce the serving size. The most obvious offender is "I Can't Believe It Is Not Butter" spray. Label says "Fat Free" right on it so it must be- right? The second ingredient is oil. That is fat (first is water). What about serving size? "One spray". Who uses just one spray of it? One spray qualifies for the "fat free" label but two sprays does not so they stick with one spray (it used to list a suggested serving of 1.25 sprays- how do you get a quarter of a spray?) . They claim over 1,000 servings per tiny bottle! http://www.icantbelieveitsnotbutter....l-butter-spray

Coffee creamers are another. Try Coffeemate Vanilla fat free. Serving size is one tablespoon.
    Regular version lists water, sugar, and vegetable oil as the first three ingredients.
    Fat Free lists water, sugar, and vegetable oil as the first three ingredients. If it has vegetable oil is it fat free?
    Sugar free? Water, CORN SYRUP (a sugar), and vegetable oil. Not really sugar free either.

Salt an issue? Again, labels can be deceiving. I was once checking labels on chili. Canned things like chili normally have tons of salt so no surprise large amounts were found. But one said "lower sodium" yet it listed more salt than some of the other varieties of the same brands.

You can't go by what it says on the front of the package.

https://www.coffee-mate.com/Products...1-24bfac27e69a Click on "Nutritional information" for each product at the link).

As for fat free items like the ones in the list above- some are substituting more sugar for the fat to keep the flavor. Not necessarily better for you. Sugar free items can use either more fats or artificial sweeteners.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 06-13-2016 at 05:43 PM.

In a damning report that accuses major public health bodies of colluding with the food industry, the National Obesity Forum and the Public Health Collaboration said most of what we are told about healthy eating is wrong.

And their highly controversial report cites studies which show a higher-fat, lower-carb diet to be superior.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-calories.html
    This escaped everybody. Look who the National Obesity Forum is funded by, groups that basically all benefit from people being fat and sick, including Big pHARMa, a surgical company, the meat industry, a major weightloss company, and an artificial sweetener company.

Our Partners

All-Party Parliamentary Group on Obesity
    Department of Health
    National Institute of Clinical Excellence
    Royal College of Paediatricians
    Association for the Study of Obesity
    National Audit Office
    Korean Academy of Family Physicians
    National Association of Primary Care
    LighterLife UK Limited
    Roche Products Ltd
    Abbott Laboratories
    Slim Fast Foods Ltd
    Safeway Foods plc
    Tanita UK Ltd
    Sanofi-Aventis Ltd
    Mantis Surgical Equipment Ltd
    GlaxoSmithKline UK Ltd
    Canderel
    British Meat Nutrition Education Services
    Carlton TV Ltd
    The Obesity Awareness and Solutions Trust
    The British Liver Trust.

http://www.nationalobesityforum.org....t-the-nof.html

Obesity charity board members quit in dietary advice row

Most members of UK’s National Obesity Forum board resign after report urges people to eat fat and stop counting calories

More than half the board of Britain’s leading anti-obesity charity have resigned over its controversial dietary advice, which has led to internal rows and condemnation from government public health officials.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...dietary-advice

Obesity charity board members quit in dietary advice row

Most members of UK’s National Obesity Forum board resign after report urges people to eat fat and stop counting calories

More than half the board of Britain’s leading anti-obesity charity have resigned over its controversial dietary advice, which has led to internal rows and condemnation from government public health officials.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...dietary-advice
    Meh, doesn't mean much. "Diets" that require counting calories don't work for the typical person. They work for atheletes and the like. Sounds like the NOF is upset more about seeming "scientific" than pragmatic and practical. More power to them if that's their goal.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234