Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Now experts say low fat diets are BAD for us

Now experts say low fat diets are BAD for us

Now experts say low fat diets are BAD for us: Obesity charity claims we should stop counting calories and eat more healthy fats - but the Government brands advice 'irresponsible'

By Fiona Macrae for the Daily Mail and Anna Hodgekiss and Madlen Davies for MailOnline
    Published: 19:05 EST, 22 May 2016

Cutting back on butter, cream, cheese and other fatty foods is fuelling the obesity epidemic with disastrous consequences for health, experts have warned.

In a damning report that accuses major public health bodies of colluding with the food industry, the National Obesity Forum and the Public Health Collaboration said most of what we are told about healthy eating is wrong.

The report's authors say the epidemic's roots lie in the modern-day obsession with low-fat diets, while snacking between meals is making people fat.

And their highly controversial report - which has been slammed by many other experts for being 'irresponsible' - cites studies which show a higher-fat, lower-carb diet to be superior.

It states: 'Eating a diet rich in full-fat dairy – such as cheese, milk and yoghurt – can actually lower the chance of obesity.

'The most natural and nutritious foods available – meat, fish, eggs, dairy products, nuts, seeds, olives, avocados – all contain saturated fat.'

Calling for a 'major overhaul' of dietary guidelines, today's report claims:

* Processed foods labelled 'low fat', 'lite', 'low cholesterol' or 'proven to lower cholesterol' should be avoided at all costs

* People with type 2 diabetes should eat a fat-rich diet rather than one based on carbohydrates.

* Sugar should be avoided and we should stop counting calories.

* The idea that exercise can help you 'outrun a bad diet' is a myth.

* Instead, a diet low in refined carbohydrates but high in healthy fats is 'an effective and safe approach for preventing weight gain and aiding weight loss', and cuts the risk of heart disease.

* The report's authors call for a return to 'whole foods' such as meat, fish and dairy, as well as high fat healthy foods including avocados, arguing that 'eating fat does not make you fat'.

* Eating a diet rich in full fat dairy - such as cheese, milk and yoghurt - can actually lower the chance of obesity.

* Saturated fat does not cause heart disease, while full fat diary can actually protect the heart.

It states: 'The most natural and nutritious foods available - meat, fish, eggs, dairy products, nuts, seeds, olive, avocados - all contain saturated fat.

'The continued demonisation of omnipresent natural fat drives people away from highly nourishing, wholesome and health promoting foods.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-calories.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Best thing anyone can do is to disregard ALL the so called experts when it comes to food......

Try to eat things that you know to be healthy and not messed with by chemists, your body will crave what it needs if given healthy choices.

My mothers advice still rings true; "If the wrapper is better for you than what's inside it don't eat either."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Best thing anyone can do is to disregard ALL the so called experts when it comes to food......

Try to eat things that you know to be healthy and not messed with by chemists, your body will crave what it needs if given healthy choices.

My mothers advice still rings true; "If the wrapper is better for you than what's inside it don't eat either."

Sage advice.

My mother always said, "if you cannot pronounce the ingredients on the wrapper then put it back."
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Sage advice.

My mother always said, "if you cannot pronounce the ingredients on the wrapper then put it back."
    That doesn't work for me as I know what most are. Knowing what most are, does work for me though.

I really don't know when the last time was I ate something I didn't made from scratch. (at home that is) Except for maybe my bread but it comes from a bakery that doesn't use any additives or they specifically note which.. I eat organic meat and dairy. Crops that are pesticide intensive I try to get organic as well.

I eat varied, not too much but slightly more fatty than the average person. No particular diet. Just varied.
    "I am a bird"

I think it's a balance. If ya eat a bunch of calories you don't need, you're going to get fat, no matter where they come from and fat is high in calories. BUT you need healthy fat to lose weight. When I need to drop a few pounds quickly, I count my calories (fat, too) and have a little fat with every meal. For example, a grilled piece of boneless, skinless chicken breast with a spinach salad topped with vinegar and a drizzle of olive oil or I may have two over easy eggs on top of a bed of greens and I count the yolks as my fat. You can lose weight going fat free (I have) but it sucks and I noticed that I can lose more, faster if I have a little healthy fat with each meal. As a matter of fact, when I hit a plateau on my low fat diet, I would eat a burger patty with some spinach to jump start weight loss again. Seriously, I can lose 10 lbs in a week. Not the healthiest thing to do but sometimes I do it when an event's coming up. I just started a weight purge today because I ate like a pig on vacation and kept on pigging out when I got back. I put on 10 fricking pounds! My goal is to drop it before a cool wine tasting event on June 3. Two weeks, ten pounds - I've totally got this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    That doesn't work for me as I know what most are. Knowing what most are, does work for me though.

I really don't know when the last time was I ate something I didn't made from scratch. (at home that is) Except for maybe my bread but it comes from a bakery that doesn't use any additives or they specifically note which.. I eat organic meat and dairy. Crops that are pesticide intensive I try to get organic as well.

I eat varied, not too much but slightly more fatty than the average person. No particular diet. Just varied.
    Yea, but her mom said ingredients she cannot pronounce and not ingredients she doesn't know what it is. There is a problem with that too because if govt required natural foods to be labeled like processed foods, most people wouldn't be able to pronounce the ingredients either. Can you imagine trying to pronounce the chemical name for the dye nature uses in making apples red?

Actually, I looked it up and its not that hard to pronounce, but you get the point.

Chemical name: 2-phenylchromenylium

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Yea, but her mom said ingredients she cannot pronounce and not ingredients she doesn't know what it is. There is a problem with that too because if govt required natural foods to be labeled like processed foods, most people wouldn't be able to pronounce the ingredients either. Can you imagine trying to pronounce the chemical name for the dye nature uses in making apples red?

Actually, I looked it up and its not that hard to pronounce, but you get the point.

Chemical name: 2-phenylchromenylium
    If you had to put every chemical compound that's in an apple on the label you'd need a really big label. The thing is that you should put the things on the label which in nature wouldn't ordinarily be found in said product. "Added compounds" or whatever really.

I think for a lot of people though, there's the choice. Do you get an imperfect apple, or do you get a perfect one that's laced with whatever... Label or no label, it doesn't make a big difference I think. People generally don't give a $#@!.
    "I am a bird"

If you had to put every chemical compound that's in an apple on the label you'd need a really big label. The thing is that you should put the things on the label which in nature wouldn't ordinarily be found in said product. "Added compounds" or whatever really.

I think for a lot of people though, there's the choice. Do you get an imperfect apple, or do you get a perfect one that's laced with whatever... Label or no label, it doesn't make a big difference I think. People generally don't give a $#@!.
    Exactly, if someone added red apple color(2-phenylchromenylium) to a corn based cereal, then he would have to label it. Going by the pronounce rule, someone who cannot pronounce it would avoid said cereal when he/she eats red apples without any question.

Sadly, most people would choose a perfect looking apples even though it might contain all sorts of cancer inducing chemicals over a natural ugly looking one. People don't give a $#@! but they follow trends, this is why the food industry fights labeling laws cos people will eat stuff until they are told to stop eating it and without labels, it would be much harder to tell the consumers what to avoid(good or bad).

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Exactly, if someone added red apple color(2-phenylchromenylium) to a corn based cereal, then he would have to label it. Going by the pronounce rule, someone who cannot pronounce it would avoid said cereal when he/she eats red apples without any question.

Sadly, most people would choose a perfect looking apples even though it might contain all sorts of cancer inducing chemicals over a natural ugly looking one. People don't give a $#@! but they follow trends, this is why the food industry fights labeling laws cos people will eat stuff until they are told to stop eating it and without labels, it would be much harder to tell the consumers what to avoid(good or bad).
    I don't know what it's like in the US but I suspect it's similar.

Many food additives over here are labeled as 'natural coloring or natural flavor', things like that, in fact they have been grown by GMO by using GMO bacteria as a factory. Now I have no problem with that but I would like it if that was disclosed. I'd like 'natural' to mean, something that would ordinarily happen in nature, not that it's produced by something that's alive rather than a chemical reaction. Because a living thing is also a chemical factory...

Most of the fruit I eat is fruit I grow myself that's harvestable in summer/fall, I don't eat a lot of fruit apart from that.. The only fruit I buy are citrus fruits of all kinds. They don't grow that well over here. I'll use those year round but the stuff that grows here I only eat when it's in season and I either eat my own or get local grown produce.

I just relate stuff to what it looks like in my garden, if it looks too perfect, it isn't good. That's my rule of thumb. It should still look tasty though.
    "I am a bird"

I don't know what it's like in the US but I suspect it's similar.

Many food additives over here are labeled as 'natural coloring or natural flavor', things like that, in fact they have been grown by GMO by using GMO bacteria as a factory. Now I have no problem with that but I would like it if that was disclosed. I'd like 'natural' to mean, something that would ordinarily happen in nature, not that it's produced by something that's alive rather than a chemical reaction. Because a living thing is also a chemical factory...

Most of the fruit I eat is fruit I grow myself that's harvestable in summer/fall, I don't eat a lot of fruit apart from that.. The only fruit I buy are citrus fruits of all kinds. They don't grow that well over here. I'll use those year round but the stuff that grows here I only eat when it's in season and I either eat my own or get local grown produce.

I just relate stuff to what it looks like in my garden, if it looks too perfect, it isn't good. That's my rule of thumb. It should still look tasty though.
    Not everybody have the luxury to do that. For me, I try as much as possible to eat foods that are made with ingredient found it nature, I don't always succeed but put some effort into that goal. Also, I am not really bothered eating ingredients man synthesized if its found in nature. 2-phenylchromenylium for the most part is 2-phenylchromenyliumn regardless of who the creator is.

Article goes on to say that saturated fats are not good for you as well. It also does not present any evidence (studies, statistics) to support the claims. It is described as an "opinion paper". (Daily Mail likes "click bait" articles). It does suggest cutting snacks and suggests that this was the problem with obesity- noting that most of the recommended foods in the piece are not high in saturated fats.

There is good evidence that replacing saturated fats with unsaturated fats can help lower cholesterol, it says.
    Found primarily in oils from plants, unsaturated fats can be either polyunsaturated or monounsaturated.
    Monounsaturated fats help protect our hearts by maintaining levels of HDL cholesterol while reducing levels of LDL cholesterol.
    Monounsaturated fats are found in:
    olive oil, rapeseed oil and their spreads
    avocados
    some nuts, such as almonds, brazils and peanuts
    There are two types of polyunsaturated fats: omega-3 and omega-6.
    Some types of omega-3 and omega-6 fats cannot be made by the body and are therefore essential in small amounts in the diet.
    Omega-6 fats are found in vegetable oils such as rapeseed, corn, sunflower and some nuts.
    Omega-3 fats are found in oily fish such as mackerel, kippers, herring, trout, sardines, salmon and fresh tuna.
    Polyunsaturated fats can help lower the level of LDL cholesterol.

Eating a bowl of butter will not make you skinny.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 05-23-2016 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Article goes on to say that saturated fats are not good for you as well - noting that most of the recommended foods in the piece are not high in saturated fats.
    What the hell are you blathering about?

'The most natural and nutritious foods available – meat, fish, eggs, dairy products, nuts, seeds, olives, avocados – all contain saturated fat.'

* Saturated fat does not cause heart disease, while full fat diary can actually protect the heart.
    The article goes back and forth between experts who disagree on the subject, but it seems to be saying that saturated fat is good overall.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Article goes on to say that saturated fats are not good for you as well. It also does not present any evidence (studies, statistics) to support the claims. It is described as an "opinion paper". (Daily Mail likes "click bait" articles). It does suggest cutting snacks and suggests that this was the problem with obesity- noting that most of the recommended foods in the piece are not high in saturated fats.

Try it-

You cannot lose weight w/o fats.

Saturated fats are necessary!
    There is no spoon.

They are necessary- in limited amounts. Too much of anything is not good for you. Moderation in all things.

noting that most of the recommended foods in the piece are not high in saturated fats.

There is good evidence that replacing saturated fats with unsaturated fats can help lower cholesterol, it says.
    Found primarily in oils from plants, unsaturated fats can be either polyunsaturated or monounsaturated.
    Monounsaturated fats help protect our hearts by maintaining levels of HDL cholesterol while reducing levels of LDL cholesterol.
    Monounsaturated fats are found in:
    olive oil, rapeseed oil and their spreads
    avocados
    some nuts, such as almonds, brazils and peanuts
    There are two types of polyunsaturated fats: omega-3 and omega-6.
    Some types of omega-3 and omega-6 fats cannot be made by the body and are therefore essential in small amounts in the diet.
    Omega-6 fats are found in vegetable oils such as rapeseed, corn, sunflower and some nuts.
    Omega-3 fats are found in oily fish such as mackerel, kippers, herring, trout, sardines, salmon and fresh tuna.
    Polyunsaturated fats can help lower the level of LDL cholesterol.
    lol...c'mon zippy, you just took the part of the article that contained the Government recommendations and pasted it, taking out the part where they mention that they are government recommendations!!

The part you snipped out:

There are different types of fat and some are better for us than others, the Government claims.

To cut the risk of heart disease, the Government recommends cutting the amount of saturated fat - found in meat and dairy products - with unsaturated fat.
    The whole point of the article was to say that the government claims are wrong.

Zippy, have you ever tried a low carb diet? If not maybe you shouldn't give advice about it.. I eat all the coconut oil, grass fed butter and animal products I want, along with a bunch of mostly low-starch veggies.. as long I don't eat much carbs my body fat will decrease. Eating fat doesn't make you fat - eating carbs makes you fat. Your body produces body fat using carbs, not dietary fat.
    Last edited by dannno; 05-23-2016 at 01:23 PM.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

The report's authors say the epidemic's roots lie in the modern-day obsession with low-fat diets, while snacking between meals is making people fat.
    ...and again to note- they provide not data or studies to support their claims.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 05-23-2016 at 01:26 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Snacking on carbs.

Guess what? Carbs are cheap and they are easy to store. Sometimes I eat more carbs because I'm too busy or it's just more convenient. I gain some body fat during those times. Then I cut the carbs and eat more fat and the body fat melts away.

So you were snacking more. (I haven't found any link to the original report yet).

I did find an article on their website http://www.nationalobesityforum.org.uk/ about promoting healthy foods. Funny- saturated fats are not mentioned.

New study gets more people buying healthy foods

A new study, the first of its kind in the UK, indicates that shoppers are more likely to buy healthy foods in the supermarket if faced with strong visual health prompts at point of sale.

Led by Damian Edwards, Behavioural Advisor to the National Obesity Forum, the Healthier Choices Pilot saw the sale of fresh fruit rise by 20% and the sale of frozen fruit by nearly 30% in a trial supermarket over a 15 week period.

In the Morrisons Salford Supermarket, Edwards installed life size cut outs of doctors and nurses by the fruit and veg section with ‘Let’s Shop Healthier’ slogans around the store and outside. Floor stickers at the fish counter also provided further prompts. Free ‘bags for life’ were also available for shoppers to pick up at the fresh produce section when purchasing fruit or vegetables.

Welcomed by both the National Obesity Forum and the Department of Health, the aim of the study was to discover if there is a low-cost sustainable way of positively affecting shopping habits that could promote healthier food choices.

Traditional health promotion provides detailed literature and messages around how and why particular types of food might be good for us. This new study simply arranged striking life-size images of health professionals in uniform positioned next to the target foods. The images seemed to trigger a phenomenon known as ‘Priming’ i.e. the idea that individuals may become pre-disposed to make certain choices in one environment if influenced by triggers in a previous or linked environment.

If applied at supermarkets nationwide the initiative could increase the average daily consumption of fruit and as such improve the health of the two thirds of the population who are not currently eating the recommended five portions of fruit and veg daily.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 05-23-2016 at 01:41 PM.

So you were snacking more.
    No, I'm talking about replacing a meal that I would fix myself, veggies, meats and maybe some fruit, with a burger or tacos or something because I'm out and about and eating paleo is fairly difficult when you don't cook your own food. Or maybe because I'm staying with other people, or travelling. I could get a lettuce wrap, but then I don't get the meat juices and I have to eat it like a salad. That's how I make my burgers at home, but I don't mind eating it like a salad at home and my dog gets the meat juices - at least somebody gets them. Since I'm skinny to begin with, it's fine to do once in a while for the sake of convenience, I just have to moderate how often I eat like that or else I start gaining a few lbs.

I did find an article on their website http://www.nationalobesityforum.org.uk/ about promoting healthy foods. Funny- saturated fats are not mentioned.
    Just read the quotes I posted above, they clearly said that saturated fats protect the heart and are contained in the most nutritious foods. The quotes you kept posting and referring to were the government indoctrination quotes that were intended to offset what was being said by the group.
    Last edited by dannno; 05-23-2016 at 01:59 PM.

Humans developed the brain they have by a diet high in fat.

Where was primative man getting all that saturated fat to develop the brain from? What were they eating? Ice cream and butter? If they were eating meat- most wild meat is pretty low in fats.

Where was primative man getting all that saturated fat to develop the brain from? What were they eating? Ice cream and butter? If they were eating meat- most wild meat is pretty low in fats.
    Palm and coconut oil?

There have been some theories promoted that mans large brain growth could only have come from a diet very high in EFA/DHA and iodine. So probably seafood of some sort.

Too much of anything is not good for you. Moderation in all things.
    I think this is the key.

In a slightly different context, I see people wanting full servings of "substitutes", as though it will be better for them. I've always told my wife, I'd rather have a smaller portion of the real thing, than make a compromise of quality for quantity.

Moderation...

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Probably same stuff I eat up North if the Mrs is not along . Bears , salmon etc

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    There have been some theories promoted that mans large brain growth could only have come from a diet very high in EFA/DHA and iodine. So probably seafood of some sort.
    A guy ought to have some scallops with the escargot and roasted Giant Sloth. I would suggest a Merlot with that .

They ate high fat organ meats first.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    They ate high fat organ meats first.
    Moose heart , Buffalo tongue , Dove hearts etc , all pretty tasty

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    My goal is to drop it before a cool wine tasting event on June 3. Two weeks, ten pounds - I've totally got this.
    Will they be pairing Franzia with Bolonga and Velveeta on a Ritz?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

What the other half of the article says,

The controversial claims have been heavily criticised by other experts who accused the report's authors of cherry picking evidence to suit their own arguments.

Dr Alison Tedstone, chief nutritionist at Public Heath England, said:

'In the face of all the evidence, calling for people to eat more fat, cut out carbs and ignore calories is irresponsible.

'Unlike this opinion piece, our independent experts review all the available evidence - often thousands of scientific papers - run full-scale consultations and go to great lengths to ensure no bias.

Professor Tom Sanders, of King's College London, said: 'The claim that eating fat doesn't make you fat is absurd. If you eat a lot of fat, you will get fat.'

And Professor John Wass, the Royal College of Physicians' special adviser on obesity, said there was 'good evidence that saturated fat increases cholesterol'.

He added: 'What is needed is a balanced diet, regular physical activity and a normal healthy weight. To quote selective studies risks misleading the public.'

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast