Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: #NeverTrump Circles the Drain as Republicans Accept the Reality of Donald Trump

#NeverTrump Circles the Drain as Republicans Accept the Reality of Donald Trump

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presid...5/18/39079961/
    The #NeverTrump movement is collapsing as Donald Trump asserts himself as the Republican nominee.

Only 15 percent of Republicans are still vowing not to back Trump in the general election, according to a new Fox News poll. Trump is getting 82 percent Republican support. Seven percent of Republicans are in Hillary Clinton’s camp, while four percent would vote for a third-party candidate and four percent will not vote. Another four percent are still undecided.
    The #NeverTrump movement, led by onetime television star Glenn Beck and professional political consultants like Ben Howe and commentators like Jamie Weinstein, has been fading. While these pundits and political-class types choose to remain in Never-Never Land, the rest of the party is clearly growing up.
    Trump cemented his alpha male status in the GOP with his Tuesday night interview with Megyn Kelly, the fierce anti-Trump cable news entertainer whose battles with Trump so obsessed her that she even changed her hairstyle to reflect strength.
    Daily Caller editor Jamie Weinstein, who recently got engaged to Trump critic and former Breitbart News reporter Michelle Fields, is also waking up:
    If the presidential winner is the candidate voters would most like to have a beer with, is there any question Trump will be president?
    BOWLING GREEN, Kentucky – Washington liberals are trying to push through the so-called DREAM Act, which creates an official path to Democrat voter registration for 2 million college-age illegal immigrants.
    Rand Paul 2010

Booker T. Washington:
    Cast it down among the eight millions of Negroes whose habits you know, whose
    fidelity and love you have tested in days when to have proved treacherous meant the ruin of your firesides.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Libertarian candidates draw attention, as #NeverTrump campaigners look elsewhere
    By David Weigel May 22 at 1:30 PM

Bill Weld, the former Republican governor of Massachusetts who now seeks the Libertarian Party's nomination for vice president, has already received the sort of attention third-party candidates dream of. In an interview with the New York Times, Weld said he could "hear the glass crunching on Kristallnacht" when he contemplated Donald Trump's deportation agenda. In an interview with CNN, Weld talked confidently about a Libertarian campaign being able to "nudge the Democrats toward the economic center" and "nudge the Republicans to get away from their antiabortion stance."

Yet the outnumbered but determined band of conservatives looking for a third-party savior are looking elsewhere. On Saturday morning, pollster Doug Schoen released the results of a poll conducted in mid-May with 1,000 likely voters. Fifty-one percent liked the idea of a third-party candidate. Twenty percent would favor a "generic" candidate in a race with Trump and Hillary Clinton. The Libertarian Party, which will decide next weekend whether to nominate Weld for vice president and former New Mexico governor Gary Johnson for president, got no mention at all.

The paradox confronting would-be third-party voters, and Libertarians in particular, is how to exploit the opportunity of a general election with two major party candidates who are viewed unfavorably. In recent days, the #NeverTrump faction has been stuck on a treadmill, latching onto polls that show up to 22 percent of voters would vote for former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney if he ran.

But Romney, who has not given a public political speech since campaigning with Ohio Gov. John Kasich (R) ahead of that state's primary, has reportedly ruled out a bid of his own. And in today's Washington Post-ABC News poll, the sort of voters allegedly amenable to a Romney bid -- conservatives who do not trust Trump -- were seen to have swung behind the nominee. A full 96 percent of "very conservative" voters say they now back Trump. It's one of several factors catching Trump up in the horse race with likely Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, a trend that is also contradicting an early #NeverTrump argument that the mogul would blow the election no matter how conservatives voted.

Those conservatives also have little reason to get behind a possible Johnson-Weld ticket. Both men are antiabortion and gay rights advocates. Both have moved toward a less interventionist foreign policy -- Weld, a one-time Iraq War booster, has had to move faster. Austin Petersen, the most social media-savvy of Johnson's opponents, has aggressively courted conservative tastemakers such as Glenn Beck to warn that the possible anti-Trump coalition would fracture if Johnson won. Reason magazine (Disclosure: I worked there from April 2006 through November 2008.) greeted Weld's entry into the 2016 race with a column arguing that he "wasn't libertarian at all."

"Weld is more of a moderate 'socially liberal, fiscally conservative' type, with 'fiscally conservative' defined by Massachusetts standards and with 'socially liberal' defined in terms a Michael Bloomberg could embrace," wrote Reason senior editor Jesse Walker. "That may well be better than the average Republican officeholder of 1991, but when it comes to the 2016 race . . . well, if I wanted to elect an Iraq hawk for gun control, I could vote for Hillary Clinton."

Away from the new-media glare, Weld has found himself walking back old statements and endorsements in conversations with the activists who will choose the party's nominee. On Saturday, he bundled some of his explanations into a Facebook post, assuring readers that "since law school, my bibles have always been The Constitution of Liberty, and The Road to Serfdom, by Friedrich Hayek."

He defended his two-decade old support for gun control, or "modest restrictions on certain types of firearms," by saying he "was deeply concerned about gun violence, and frankly, the people I represented were demanding action." He apologized for his own decision to back Kasich in the primaries, after Libertarian activists raised a stink about Ohio's onerous ballot rules.

"I am now aware that Governor Kasich has taken actions to make ballot access in Ohio much more difficult and costly for Libertarians," Weld wrote. "At no point did I have any knowledge about efforts to restrict ballot access."

With every answer, Weld — and Johnson — have been trying to hew more closely to a Libertarian Party agenda that only occasionally comports with #NeverTrump. In his CNN interview Sunday, Weld, like Johnson, said that he had no contact with the Republicans who insist they want a third-party candidate.

"I wouldn’t pitch other pols until we get a critical mass," Weld said. "Obviously, we have something to sell."
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ook-elsewhere/
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by RandallFan View Post
    #NeverTrump Circles the Drain
    It is because the #NeverTrump movement is infested with Neocons (FOX, Kristol, Boot, Kagan, etc.). All they tried to do is push more neoconservatives. As a result it was DOA . #NeverNeocons.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    By David Weigel
    Seriously? Weigel has never been our friend. Think!!!
    Last edited by LibertyEagle; 05-23-2016 at 08:33 AM.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

//
    Last edited by cajuncocoa; 07-19-2016 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    Neither has Trump.
    Well the more I found out about Trump, I changed my mind. He is not the friend of libertarians who want to suck up to liberals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    Americans in general are jedi masters of blaming every other person.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhandorder View Post
    Well the more I found out about Trump, I changed my mind. He is not the friend of libertarians who want to suck up to liberals.
    Being anti-war is not 'suck(ing) up to liberals'. It is a sound and principled position taken by people with enough sense to know there is more prosperity in peace than in war.

If liberals want to join us, even though it's a setback to the drive to put he federal government in charge of everything and everyone, how is that us sucking up to them? And why wouldn't we have enough sense to welcome them? Because Fox News told you they all have leprosy, or cooties or something, and you believed them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

//

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Seriously? Weigel has never been our friend. Think!!!
    ^^ notice how this one constantly attacks.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    It is because the #NeverTrump movement is infested with Neocons (FOX, Kristol, Boot, Kagan, etc.). All they tried to do is push more neoconservatives. As a result it was DOA . #NeverNeocons.
    What is funnier is that they were trying to rebrand themselves as 'constitutional conservatives'

//

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Being anti-war is not 'suck(ing) up to liberals'. It is a sound and principled position taken by people with enough sense to know there is more prosperity in peace than in war.

If liberals want to join us, even though it's a setback to the drive to put he federal government in charge of everything and everyone, how is that us sucking up to them? And why wouldn't we have enough sense to welcome them? Because Fox News told you they all have leprosy, or cooties or something, and you believed them?
    I am talking about accusing Trump of inciting "violence".

If it was up to you we would constantly cover at any time liberals come screaming out our rallies. And if someone snaps you will scream at how Ron and Rand need to get ahead of the crowd to denounce them. At that point most people will be $#@! that good luck to you and your principles.

They went after him for being a racist and misogynist. And all of you left inclined jumped down that hole.

You are right about the authoritarian stuff. I just don't think we will get a non authoritarian for the next 50 years.

I am talking about accusing Trump of inciting "violence".

If it was up to you we would constantly cover at any time liberals come screaming out our rallies. And if someone snaps you will scream at how Ron and Rand need to get ahead of the crowd to denounce them. At that point most people will be $#@! that good luck to you and your principles.

They went after him for being a racist and misogynist. And all of you left inclined jumped down that hole.

You are right about the authoritarian stuff. I just don't think we will get a non authoritarian for the next 50 years.
    I guess if any of that had ever happened at a Ron or Rand Paul rally, we'd know. But since neither ever made a habit of offending people just to make red meat Republicans laugh and giggle, I guess we'll never know.

And since Republicans seem to no longer be capable of nominating someone who doesn't offend people just to make them giggle, I guess there'll never be another Republican president, either. I sure don't remember Reagan deliberately torpedoing his chances in the general election just to get a few primary votes.

I guess if any of that had ever happened at a Ron or Rand Paul rally, we'd know. But since neither ever made a habit of offending people just to make red meat Republicans laugh and giggle, I guess we'll never know.

And since Republicans seem to no longer be capable of nominating someone who doesn't offend people just to make them giggle, I guess there'll never be another Republican president, either. I sure don't remember Reagan deliberately torpedoing his chances in the general election just to get a few primary votes.
    I did not find him offensive. I find it offensive that people would show up to shut him down because of his stances on immigration.

I did not find him offensive. I find it offensive that people would show up to shut him down because of his stances on immigration.
    As I said in another thread, if he wanted his rallies to be adult conversations he could either be less offensive, like the Pauls, or limit entry to his rallies, like the Bushes. Since he does neither, I can only assume he wants this stuff to happen so he can make his red meat Republican audiences giggle.

And that's what he gets. So?

As I said in another thread, if he wanted his rallies to be adult conversations he could either be less offensive, like the Pauls, or limit entry to his rallies, like the Bushes. Since he does neither, I can only assume he wants this stuff to happen so he can make his red meat Republican audiences giggle.

And that's what he gets. So?
    How about neither? How about rallying his people? How about using the bully pulpit?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm still never Trump. I think 2 former governors is a formidable ticket for the LP and I will vote for them.

He's not the friend of any libertarians at all. Nor any conservatives. Only liberals.

How about neither? How about rallying his people? How about using the bully pulpit?
    None of it brings pulpits to my mind. Bullies, yes. Pulpits, no.

Finally. If libertarians want to oppose Trump, fine, but they're smart to drop the #NeverTrump tag like a poison bomb. Soon the most vocal remnant clinging to it will be Beck, Levine, and their little circle of psychos.

Quoting one of the most war-agenda presidents in US history doesn't help your cause.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovecraftian4Paul View Post
    Finally. If libertarians want to oppose Trump, fine, but they're smart to drop the #NeverTrump tag like a poison bomb. Soon the most vocal remnant clinging to it will be Beck, Levine, and their little circle of psychos.
    This is a good point, look at who rallies to this. I'm not nor ever will be on board with Trump, but those that use that hashtag on social media are predominantly Cruz supporters and neo cons in general with a smattering of liberty minded people.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    I'm still never Trump. I think 2 former governors is a formidable ticket for the LP and I will vote for them.
    You said it. Two former governors on the same ticket is formidable, indeed. It must be one of the most mainstream, establishment tickets the LP has ever seen. And that's certainly a good thing for both the LP and the average voter, IMO. It gives the LP something it hasn't had in past elections: a veneer of respectability, which the media eats up. Already, I've noticed an uptick in media reports.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    Libertarians haven't changed (neither has Ron Paul.) It's those who support Trump who have changed. And not for the better.
    Just what if people are trying to support the guy or gal that is closest to their world view in 2008 & 2012 that was Ron, in 2015 it was Rand....2016 for some it is Trump. I don't understand the vitriolic nature of many of the posts against the strategists on RPF these days coming from the purists.
    Et cognoscetis veritatem et veritas liberabit vos

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    NOBT
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by ProBlue33 View Post
    Just what if people are trying to support the guy or gal that is closest to their world view in 2008 & 2012 that was Ron, in 2015 it was Rand....2016 for some it is Trump. I don't understand the vitriolic nature of many of the posts against the strategists on RPF these days coming from the purists.
    strategists
    lol
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by ProBlue33 View Post
    Ron and Rand are/were mission supporting candidates, Trump is not.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Ron and Rand are/were mission supporting candidates, Trump is not.
    Trump's candidacy, while not libertarian by many positions, holds strategic value for advancing the mission, so dividing candidates into "mission supporting" and non "mission supporting" camps is misleading. The mission is advanced going forward by focusing on both positions, and the strategic aspects of campaigns that impact liberty.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

Quote Originally Posted by Peace&Freedom View Post
    Trump's candidacy, while not libertarian by many positions, holds strategic value for advancing the mission, so dividing candidates into "mission supporting" and non "mission supporting" camps is misleading. The mission is advanced going forward by focusing on both positions, and the strategic aspects of campaigns that impact liberty.
    I didn't make those categories, Bryan did.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ial-Candidates
    Last edited by CPUd; 05-23-2016 at 10:35 PM.

//
    Last edited by cajuncocoa; 07-19-2016 at 09:55 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast