Thread: Fake in China: 488 million social media posts a year

Fake in China: 488 million social media posts a year

http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/20/tech...egy/index.html

May 20, 2016

The Chinese government cranks out 488 million fake social media posts a year in an effort to divert attention away from sensitive issues, a new study estimates.
    The researchers describe a "massive secretive operation" carried out by government employees, highlighting just how far China is willing to go to control news and information.
    Many foreign websites and social networks, including Google (GOOGL, Tech30) and Facebook (FB, Tech30), are blocked in the country, and authorities closely monitor and censor activity on homegrown social media sites.
    The new study, led by Harvard University data scientist Gary King, looks at China's "Fifty Cent Party," referring to the people rumored to be paid 50 Chinese cents (US$0.08) by the government for each positive social media comment they write and post.
    The "Fifty Cent Party" is often perceived as weighing in on the government's side in political debates on the Internet. But the study disputes that, suggesting that the posts actually shy away from arguments and controversial issues.
    Instead, their aim is to "regularly distract the public and change the subject," the researchers say. "Most of these posts involve cheerleading for China, the revolutionary history of the Communist Party, or other symbols of the regime."
    One post they reference reads, "I carry the red flag, stained with the blood of our forefathers, and unswervingly follow the path of the Chinese Communist Party!"
    The study also contests the idea that the "Fifty Cent Party" is mainly made up of ordinary citizens hired for a pittance. The researchers suggest most of the fabricated posts appear to be written by workers at government agencies contributing on top of their regular duties.
    And in fact, there's no evidence they're being paid extra for the posts despite the popular "Fifty Cent Party" term. Doing so may be part of their job, or they could be rewarded in performance reviews, the study speculates.
    It was based primarily on more than 40,000 posts contained in a leaked trove of emails sent in 2013 and 2014 from the Internet Propaganda Office of Zhanggong, a district with a population of about half a million in the southeastern province of Jiangxi. The researchers used that information to extrapolate the number of government-fabricated posts that could be posted nationwide.
    They say the emails they studied included messages from workers claiming credit for carrying out their "Fifty Cent" assignments.
    Such posts tend to spike during key periods -- after social unrest or around a major political event -- suggesting "a high level of coordination on the part of the government," the study says.
    The Cyberspace Administration of China, the country's internet regulator, didn't immediately respond to a request for comment Friday.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The "Fifty Cent Party" is often perceived as weighing in on the government's side in political debates on the Internet.
    Wow, good thing we don't have that here
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Having just returned from my 20-something time in China I don't doubt this for a second. The media is so closely monitored and squelched there it's probably only second to N. Korea. Most life in China is pretty good (especially if compared to 20+ years ago) and there's more prosperity there than at any time in the history of China but the goons there take their job of "control" very seriously. You can get away with any minor violation with ease and those are never seriously enforced but don't say anything in public about government policies unless you are supporting same. It's sad really. I see how cowed they are and most of them know they are cowed. The biggest difference between the cowed sheeple there and the cowed sheeple here is that our sheeple actually believe they are NOT cowed...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Back in 2007/08, they were all over Youtube every time the subject of Tibet came up. Their English (or lack of it) gave them away - their grammar was never quite right, but since half the college grads I know seem to end up in CHina teaching English, I'm sure that's no longer a problem

How are the mass resignations of CCP membership coming along?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Back in 2007/08, they were all over Youtube every time the subject of Tibet came up. Their English (or lack of it) gave them away - their grammar was never quite right, but since half the college grads I know seem to end up in CHina teaching English, I'm sure that's no longer a problem
    You sure they were Chinese govt agents? I remember during the Ukrainian crisis, people on youtube usually accused me of being a Kremlin troll just because I sided with Russia. Also, I seriously doubt the Chinese gave a $#@! about what some nobody on the internet thinks about them.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    You sure they were Chinese govt agents? I remember during the Ukrainian crisis, people on youtube usually accused me of being a Kremlin troll just because I sided with Russia. Also, I seriously doubt the Chinese gave a $#@! about what some nobody on the internet thinks about them.
    [/video]
    Well, no - not sure. But the talking points seemed rehearsed, and they would swarm. There was something off about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    How are the mass resignations of CCP membership coming along?
    LOL

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.