Thread: Texas town elects pro-marijuana mayor; police chief and city leaders resign in protest

Cool Texas town elects pro-marijuana mayor; police chief and city leaders resign in protest

Texas Town Elects Pro-Marijuana Mayor, Several Employees Resign in Protest

SouthCANN Editor
    May 21, 2016

The citizens of the city of Whitewright, TX — population 1,604 — knew exactly what they were getting when they elected Jeremiah Looney as their Mayor earlier this month. A combat Army veteran who served two tours in Iraq and who now advocates for the rights of veterans to use medical marijuana, Mayor Looney has admitted to self-medicating with cannabis and fights for the rights of other patients to do the same.

But several city leaders are unimpressed with the “will of the people” and have chosen to resign instead of serving under someone who has promised to reduce the harm done to patients by the war on cannabis. On Friday the city lost its police chief, city secretary, city judge, clerk of court and utility clerk over Looney’s election. Former Whitewright city secretary Beth Woodson told KXII Channel 12 that she resigned from her position because she “morally and ethically can’t work for the new mayor because of his stance on marijuana”.

read more:
    http://www.southerncannabis.org/texa...esign-protest/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The town will be much better off without the reefer madness idiots around. Great news that they quit. They have more time to clutch pearls now.

downsizing government. sounds like win-win.

If only it were that simple everywhere......

I hope those former "employees" all contract painful and debilitating diseases without free insurance and have to turn to weed......
    Last edited by tod evans; 05-21-2016 at 03:45 PM.

On Friday the city lost its police chief, city secretary, city judge, clerk of court and utility clerk over Looney’s election. Former Whitewright city secretary Beth Woodson told KXII Channel 12 that she resigned from her position because she “morally and ethically can’t work for the new mayor because of his stance on marijuana”.
    lost?
    the only thing the city lost is vast sums of pension payments. still a win, imo.
    Seattle Sounders 2016 MLS Cup Champions 2019 MLS Cup Champions 2022 CONCACAF Champions League - and the [un]official football club of RPF

just a libertarian - no caucus

Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    Is that all it took?
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

she resigned from her position because she “morally and ethically can’t work for the new mayor because of his stance on marijuana”.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    What a great blueprint for other towns to copy!
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by danda View Post
    downsizing government. sounds like win-win.
    Was my very first thought.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

It tickles me to no end to see the drug warriors out of a "job"........

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    What a great blueprint for other towns to copy!
    exactly.

new mayor for the win!

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Jeremiah Looney

city@whitewright.com

Address: 206 W Grand Ave.
    Whitewright, Texas 75491

Phone: (903)364-2219
    Fax: (903)364-3001

Texas Town Elects Pro-Marijuana Mayor, Several Employees Resign in Protest

SouthCANN Editor
    May 21, 2016

The citizens of the city of Whitewright, TX — population 1,604 — knew exactly what they were getting when they elected Jeremiah Looney as their Mayor earlier this month. A combat Army veteran who served two tours in Iraq and who now advocates for the rights of veterans to use medical marijuana, Mayor Looney has admitted to self-medicating with cannabis and fights for the rights of other patients to do the same.

But several city leaders are unimpressed with the “will of the people” and have chosen to resign instead of serving under someone who has promised to reduce the harm done to patients by the war on cannabis. On Friday the city lost its police chief, city secretary, city judge, clerk of court and utility clerk over Looney’s election. Former Whitewright city secretary Beth Woodson told KXII Channel 12 that she resigned from her position because she “morally and ethically can’t work for the new mayor because of his stance on marijuana”.
    Whitewright? Looney?

"The Patriarch"

The news story I read stated he did not believe in recreational usage, purely medical cannabis and ONLY for PTSD veterans. Not exactly "Pro" marijuana.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    If only it were that simple everywhere......

I hope those former "employees" all contract painful and debilitating diseases without free insurance and have to turn to weed......
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tod evans again.
    In a just universe....
    "The Patriarch"

Wow. A happy ending, for once.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    On Friday the city lost its police chief, city secretary, city judge, clerk of court and utility clerk over Looney’s election.
    The city has suffered a great loss. My heart and prayers go out to them, during this difficult time.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Whitewright? Looney?

Those are common names in Texas, I don't get your joke.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    The city has suffered a great loss. My heart and prayers go out to them, during this difficult time.
    I hope they don't lose their pensions, that might be a difficult time indeed
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

loveshiscountry

Whitewright city secretary Beth Woodson told KXII Channel 12 that she resigned from her position because she “morally and ethically can’t work for the new mayor because of his stance on marijuana”

Robbing people of their money and jailing them when no ones rights have been violated is moral and ethical?

Quote Originally Posted by loveshiscountry View Post
    Whitewright city secretary Beth Woodson told KXII Channel 12 that she resigned from her position because she “morally and ethically can’t work for the new mayor because of his stance on marijuana”

Robbing people of their money and jailing them when no ones rights have been violated is moral and ethical?
    Reads to me like she thinks sick people consuming manufactured chemicals on a doctor's orders is fine, but a sick person consuming one of God's Own Inventions on a doctor's orders is pure evil.

I hope the people of that town have enough sense to be relieved they got those insane people out of those particular positions of power and responsibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Former Whitewright city secretary Beth Woodson told KXII Channel 12 that she resigned from her position because she “morally and ethically can’t work for the new mayor because of his stance on marijuana”.
    Afterward, Mrs. Woodson met up with the rest of officials who resigned to discuss their grievances over drinks.

Officer Friendly on busting guys smoking weed, "Hey, there's nothing I can do...I don't make the laws I just enforce them. If you don't like it get the law changed."

Town votes in pro-medical pot mayor.

Officer friendly, "Oh hell no. I quit." (Officer friendly would rather quit then risk no longer being able to arrest people for smoking a plant).