Thread: One more try for our cat rescue...

One more try for our cat rescue...

Tried this about six months ago and it fell flat. Well now the shelter is about to fall flat, so I'll try one more time!

Kitty Safe Haven is a small cat rescue operation in southern Missouri. We take in as many cats as we can handle at a given time, and give them whatever they need, to the best of our ability. Great expense is involved, and we don't usually do any public fundraising. But at this time we have become overwhelmed and must seek help in a bigger way. The cats don't understand "sorry, we don't have the money" when they are in need, the just feel the pain, and it breaks our hearts!

We are a 501(c)3 non-profit and you can search for us on the IRS website-- check the radio button marked "Have filed Form 990-N (e-Postcard), enter our EIN, 27-1520246 in the form, then click "Search".

Please note, no one is paid by Kitty Safe Haven; all contributions go directly to the cats' care. Our largest expenses are vet bills, food and litter, flea control and wormer. Every donation, regardless of size, is greatly appreciated. Many hands make light work! Thank you in advance for your generosity!

Our Paypal address is donations@kittysafehaven.org
    We also have a bitcoin wallet:
    14myCWe3W1mUMLKPCW2fGUQRyGjXVMcAAN

If you'd like to send supplies instead of money, we have a well organized Amazon Wish List:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wi.../WKM4UHS8O361/.

Old-fashioned paper checks should be made payable to Kitty Safe Haven No-Kill Shelter, Inc. and sent to:
    Kitty Safe Haven
    c/o Dave Fleagle
    RR 6 Box 6008
    Ava, MO 65608

We have a fundraiser page online that can be shared on social media, too.

On behalf of the cats, thank you so much.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Suzu, some more non-profit ideas for you and the kitty cats. With All Your Heart, could certainly translate to kitty projects.

Beth's Blog -The Networked Non-profit

With All Your Heart: Project Management For Churches, Christian Schools & Other Faith-Based Organizations

Good luck!
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by bunklocoempire View Post
    Suzu, some more non-profit ideas for you and the kitty cats. With All Your Heart, could certainly translate to kitty projects.

Beth's Blog -The Networked Non-profit

With All Your Heart: Project Management For Churches, Christian Schools & Other Faith-Based Organizations
    Those are some pretty high-brow fundraising sites for a small-time operation like ours, with a budget of under $5k per year, and for someone like me, who's so beat down mentally right now that I barely function.

Good luck!

That we will need, because we absolutely suck at fundraising. Witness this topic with over 80 views so far resulting in precisely $0 raised, and 35+ shares on Facebook, which would have reached at least several thousand people, with the same net result.

You've consistently stated that you suck at fund raising but without a viable long term sustainable operating plan, this problem will never fix itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzu View Post
    Those are some pretty high-brow fundraising sites for a small-time operation like ours, with a budget of under $5k per year, and for someone like me, who's so beat down mentally right now that I barely function.

[/SUB]
    That we will need, because we absolutely suck at fundraising. Witness this topic with over 80 views so far resulting in precisely $0 raised, and 35+ shares on Facebook, which would have reached at least several thousand people, with the same net result.
    Try a bleeding heart video showing cats as they are rescued and as they are finding homes. Stress that ALL funds go directly to the pets. Post it to Facebook. Try to find pet groups on Facebook and post it there. The better the video, the more it will be passed around.

Sorry that I cannot donate money to you for this. I need all I have right now, plus if I were to donate to one, it would be in my own community.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Try a bleeding heart video showing cats as they are rescued and as they are finding homes. Stress that ALL funds go directly to the pets. Post it to Facebook. Try to find pet groups on Facebook and post it there. The better the video, the more it will be passed around.
    That's a very good idea, LE. Now, if only we had a camera that takes video... I've been wanting to get one for years and never could spare the cash even for the cheapest one I could find.

Sorry that I cannot donate money to you for this. I need all I have right now, plus if I were to donate to one, it would be in my own community.
    No problem! Thanks for the sentiments!

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    You've consistently stated that you suck at fund raising but without a viable long term sustainable operating plan, this problem will never fix itself.
    Absolutely correct. I even have a book about how to raise funds for this sort of thing -- "Funds to the Rescue" is the title. I'm sure if I review it I can find something that will work.

Part of the problem has been finding time to dedicate to the chore of fundraising. Just managing a home, a life, half a dozen websites, a book business, garden, yard, and a whole lot of cats takes more hours than even exist in a day, so whatever I do has to be quick and effective. Usually we can manage to cover most if not all of the expenses out of personal funds, and, even though it often means making hard choices, it's the quickest and simplest way of taking care of the necessity. However, sometimes too many unusual and unavoidable expenses come up too close together, and we get pinched. It's at such times that I bite the bullet and do the best I can to generate some contributions, while still trying to juggle many other responsibilities at the same time.

Anyway, thanks very much for the food for thought!

[/SUB]
    What LibertyEagle said, you have to sell this. Fundraising basics are the same for large or small, and there are new and cheaper (even FREE) web based/other do it yourself fund raising tools available almost weekly. (see those links, and explore WELSTech for weekly ideas)

My wife manages an accounting firm that specializes in non-profit tax, audits, and accounting.

Two mistakes I hear of daily with non-profits:

1. Failure to have effective accounting in place. Leading to no clear idea of the mission's true status dollar-wise.

2. Failure to have constant, effective fund chasing in place. No steady fundraising means no steady funds. You can't spend tomorrow what you didn't fundraise today.

Your camera issue? Get creative. Trade a professional videograper/photograper constant plugs for YouTube/facebook ready cat vids/pics. Beg old equipment for plugs, etc.

Here's a couple you might try asking, from what I assume is your neck of the woods:

City of Ava, MO businesses
    MARK FARBIN PHOTOGRAPHY 133 S JEFFERSON ST
    PHOTO SHOOT 232 S JEFFERSON ST

Do you have a web page? An email weekly/monthly update? Maybe this guy likes cats and could point you in the right direction.
    COMPUTER911 REPAIR.COM 207 N JEFFERSON ST

FUNdraising, embrace it! It is the nature of the beast with non-profits. And don't be afraid to delegate!

Sell that mission statement!

Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hi, y'all -- I'm Dave Fleagle and I work with Pat on the Kitty Safe Haven shelter project. I don't usually post on public forums -- but I have been a dedicated Ron Paul supporter for a long time -- so I'll say something here.

Anyone who has enjoyed the company of a cat knows there are certain basic and recurring expenses involved with taking proper care of your little friend. Beyond the cost of daily high-quality food and cat litter there are expenses for flea treatments, an appointment for spaying or neutering. periodic visits to the vet for dental care, medicines for worming, ear mites, etc. Sometimes there are medical emergencies which can be quite expensive to treat (Here I'm thinking of Mickey's blocked intestine which required surgery). Your cat may enjoy a toy and a treat from time to time.

Now multiply that by a population of 20!

Our finances are stretched and stressed right now. We are working on figuring out some ways to secure long-term funding -- but right now expenses are piling up. We'd really appreciate any help you could give. Thanks!

Trade a professional videograper/photograper constant plugs for YouTube/facebook ready cat vids/pics. Beg old equipment for plugs, etc.
    I'm not sure what you mean by the above. Especially the last part. I am just scratching my head!

Here's a couple you might try asking, from what I assume is your neck of the woods:

MARK FARBIN PHOTOGRAPHY 133 S JEFFERSON ST
    PHOTO SHOOT 232 S JEFFERSON ST
    Yeah I know Mark. He lives in Springfield these days. He does still photography only. Are you suggesting that I offer to do something for him, in exchange for an older video camera?

Do you have a web page? An email weekly/monthly update? Maybe this guy likes cats and could point you in the right direction.
    COMPUTER911 REPAIR.COM 207 N JEFFERSON ST
    Yes i know the guy who runs that business, too. Are you suggesting that he could tell me where to find money to support the rescue? We do have a website... currently not very up to date, as I am too busy with other peoples' sites to do much with it. I've tried sending updates by email and found it to be a complete waste of time.

And don't be afraid to delegate!
    I'm not; I only fear overloading anyone kind enough to help out.

Plugs = free advertising/networking

Are you suggesting that I offer to do something for him, in exchange for an older video camera?
    I am suggesting that as a photographer, he may have a line on some equipment that may benefit your mission. You might choose to reciprocate by a prominent mention of the fellow's business on your website. "Cat vids/pics by so and so".

Are you suggesting that he could tell me where to find money to support the rescue?
    I am suggesting that he may want to help spruce up your website in exchange for Kitty Safe Haven's prominent mention of the fellow's business on your newly spruced up website. I am suggesting that a spruced up website may lead to greater volunteer participation in your mission statement, leading to more kitty funds.
    Ron Paul

Plugs = free advertising/networking
    Got it. Thanks.

I am suggesting that as a photographer, he may have a line on some equipment that may benefit your mission. You might choose to reciprocate by a prominent mention of the fellow's business on your website. "Cat vids/pics by so and so".
    I see. I suppose it won't hurt to ask him. But to promote his business (it couldn't be vids, only still pics) by saying that he did work for us would be a lie, because hiring Mark to take pics for us would cost us at least a few months' worth of catfood money, and there's no need to hire him to take pics, because we can and do take those pics ourselves.

I am suggesting that he may want to help spruce up your website in exchange for Kitty Safe Haven's prominent mention of the fellow's business on your newly spruced up website. I am suggesting that a spruced up website may lead to greater volunteer participation in your mission statement, leading to more kitty funds.
    Thanks for that clarification. I'll take it under advisement!

ETA: We generally try to keep a pretty low profile in the local community, lest they inundate us with unwanted cats and add to our overload. So that's one reason we haven't actively cultivated a local email list to recruit volunteers. Another reason is that this is one of the least affluent areas of the country; people around here just do not have much in the way of spare cash for donating to charity. Hell, they won't even care for their own pets most of the time.
    Last edited by Suzu; 05-21-2016 at 06:51 PM.

That's a very good idea, LE. Now, if only we had a camera that takes video... I've been wanting to get one for years and never could spare the cash even for the cheapest one I could find.

Twenty bucks at Walmart will get you a Samsung cell phone with decent video capabilities:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Total-Wire...phone/43389442

You can download a basic video editing program for free, at dvdvideosoft.com:

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products...-Video-Dub.htm