Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop owner's English-only ordering policy stirs controversy

Shop owner's English-only ordering policy stirs controversy

*sigh*

MILWAUKEE -- The owner of a custard shop backed down on his English-only ordering policy after it sparked controversy Thursday, CBS Milwaukee affiliate WDJT-TV reports.

"We prefer to speak English, when you come you will be greeted in English," Ron Schneider, owner of Leon's Frozen Custard Shop, said in a statement to the station. "If you speak Spanish we will try to accommodate you but if we don't have anyone that can speak Spanish, well we can do sign language or something."

Schneider said the original policy was not to discriminate but instead was the easiest way to conduct business.

Darryl Morin, with the League of United Latin American Citizens, said their office has received many calls recently about the policy.

"Well surprised, right? Everybody loves Leon's. It's an institution here in town. That being said we still need to make sure they operate within the law," Morin said.

He said the group plans to request an investigation with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and that a meeting was planned with Schneider Friday.

State Rep. Josh Zepnick, who represents that district, said he also hopes to meet with the owner.

"We can move things forward, and let's find some other stuff to do together as a community and not this fighting," Zepnick said. "I think frozen custard is worth enjoying, not fighting over."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/wisconsi...inkId=24710599
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Where's the CBS-stirred controversy over the Arabic-only policies of certain Chicago cab companies?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

I'll have an order of controversy, to go, please.

I never speak spanish while having blackberry frozen custard .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    A word to the wise.

Reported.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Right up there with "Never eat spinach with a stranger".

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

That's actually written into our support contracts with our Central and South America customers.
    But in our case, it's to cover our asses in case things go really south with a customer and they decide to sue. That way we have it documented that we were under no contractual obligation to communicate in Spanish.
    That said, we do have a guy who is fluent (and I'm learning as much as I can to get on that bandwagon too) because they are still customers and we are trying to make them happy....

....which, I thought, was the point of running a business. Personally I think this place has calculated incorrectly.
    They should have a sign facing the employees that says "Disculpe, no hablo espanol. Por favor seleccione de la tabla" and have a laminated copy of selections for them to point to.
    I mean, how freaking hard is that? Forty seconds with Google translate and five minutes of printing and laminating, and you just got a bunch of customers.

But no, I guess it's easier to just tell them to piss off.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Also, I gotta say, I'm only on day 70 of studying Spanish, and there's a reason why the Foreign Service Institute rates it as a Category I language (easiest for English speakers to learn). The only other language I've studied in any depth is German, which is a Category II, but even though English is a Germanic language, Spanish is SO much easier to cope with. There is a ton of vocabulary crossover, comparatively weak genders and article shifts, and the words are mostly in the same order.

If you're not one of those who thinks Spanish speaking people in America are sub-humans, and you honestly believe they're people, then you don't have much excuse... install DuoLingo on your phone at least and start picking it up.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Another really simple fix would be, for those persons who can only speak spanish - just learn to say the words "custard", "small", "medium" and "large" in english! If the custard is that important to them, you'd think they'd be happy to do so. WTFs the matter with people?!

By the way, if you watch the video you'll see that the complaining jerk who wanted to place his order in spanish, already knew how to speak english - he just felt like whining for the attention. It's not as if spanish-speaking persons were being turned away. Now all the SJWs think they have a license to promote hatred of the owner and to destroy his small business.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Forty seconds with Google translate and five minutes of printing and laminating, and you just got a bunch of customers.

But no, I guess it's easier to just tell them to piss off.
    Obviously someone thought they'd get more customers by catering to those who dislike Spanish speaking people.

The only other language I've studied in any depth is German, which is a Category II, but even though English is a Germanic language, Spanish is SO much easier to cope with. There is a ton of vocabulary crossover, comparatively weak genders and article shifts, and the words are mostly in the same order.
    German so hard is not. If to Yoda you listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

They should force him to accept pesos too.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I know enough spanglish to either have a damn good time or get thrown in jail....

Mexicans are just too damn lazy to learn English.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

That's actually written into our support contracts with our Central and South America customers.
    But in our case, it's to cover our asses in case things go really south with a customer and they decide to sue. That way we have it documented that we were under no contractual obligation to communicate in Spanish.

Same here. The contract requires that they have an English speaking technical lead. Whats funny though - most of these LAM folks speak better English than the average American, even though English is a second language. The problem is that some of my colleagues, like many Americans, have trouble with the accents. So one might be speaking to someone in the LAM region who is using perfect English, but the accent makes verbal communication nearly impossible. Same with APJ/India - perfect English, albeit derived from England - so add an accent and odd nuances (peanuts are called ground-nuts)

Good on you for picking up multiple languages. You'll really stand out in the business world.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Title VII of 1964 Civil Rights Act needs to burn in hell.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is an obvious example of the difference between What is Right, and What is Easy.

Lets face it, learning a new language is quite hard. The choice of many (not all) non english speakers to do two things, to do the right thing, which is to learn the language of the community in which they live, and yes, that is quite hard, but also most feel the right thing to do, or, their alternative is to do the easy thing, which is to demand everyone else learn their language. Sadly, these same values are passed on to many generations of kids that grow up that also make the choice of what is easy, which is to not learn english. It is always easier to demand someone else take responsibility for your own actions, which here, means to try to force someone else to learn your language rather than learn a new language yourself.

Much of this depends greatly on where a person lives. I remember a quote that said something to the effect of "we are citizens of our native tongue". If I moved to Russia, people in Russia would expect I learn to speak Russian. If I moved to Portugal, people there would expect me to learn to speak Portuguese. Likewise, a Russian or Brazillian or Equadorian moves here, we expect them to learn to speak english. I think that is only fair because there are two major perspectives conflicting with each other: the perspective of the Individual, and the perspective of the collective Society. These two perspectives are not in sync. What I think many people feel is happening is that we get single individuals demanding an entire society learn to speak their language instead of the individual changing themselves to become a part of that society. One person learn english or fifty thousand learn to speak spanish. Eventually those numbers shift and one becomes ten, ten becomes a hundred, hundred becomes a thousand. We end up with a total conflict between two societies, one of which having grown by expecting their host to adapt to their demands and displace their native citizenry by claiming things like "Microaggression" or other utter nonsense such as the display of the national flag of your host country as "Racist".

The true responsibility of any society is to protect the value of its individuals. With that having been said, the expectations of immigrants to adapt their entire societies to satisfy the easy demands of individual immigrants to change their entire language to suit them is the result of a failure of that society to protect its individuals. Its nothing more than a conflict of personal psychology vs group psychology. The easy choice for an individual is the hard choice for the society, which in this case appears to be in direct conflict with the hard choice of an individual being the easy choice for society. It is easy for a society to take from the individual and expect they always fend for themselves, yet, provide no support to the individual when they are challenged by things that are beyond their ability to control.

Not everyone was "lucky" enough to be born in a country they want to be born in. I cant hold the individuals responsible for things that are beyond any measure of their control, such as being born of any skin color, gender, nationality, who their parents are, etc. I do charge each of those individuals with adopting the group values when they do have an ability to learn a foreign language, despite it being hard. I didnt move to their country and demand they all learn to speak my language, but it is somehow okay for them to do that to us? If they want to be "American", then come here to be "Americans", not Immigrants in America. Are you hispanic? Beyond your control, but learning english is within your power. Be an "American" if you want to live in America. Otherwise, youre just a tourist. The willingness of the individual to support the society and the group values such as language in which they live is what strengthens that community. Continuing efforts to undermine the things that bring that society together and overwhelm the support structures of that society only cause the very things that the immigrating individuals moved to escape to arise in their new home.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Speaking other languages is mostly about adopting an accent. For instance, if I want to speak Oriental, I substitute an "r" for an "l" in the word English. In Oriental it is pronounced "Eng-rish." To speak Mexican you can substitute an "e" for an "i" in a word like "lizard. In Mexican it is pronounced "Leeezard." It's really not that hard to speak other languages.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Speaking other languages is mostly about adopting an accent. For instance, if I want to speak Oriental, I substitute an "r" for an "l" in the word English. In Oriental it is pronounced "Eng-rish." To speak Mexican you can substitute an "e" for an "i" in a word like "lizard. In Mexican it is pronounced "Leeezard." It's really not that hard to speak other languages.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to phill4paul again.

The easy and obvious solution is just to deport everyone who can't speak English.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Learning other languages is not all that hard if you listen to people. My daughter spent 10 weeks in Brazil and came home fluent in Brazillian Portuguese.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Learning other languages is not all that hard if you listen to people. My daughter spent 10 weeks in Brazil and came home fluent in Brazillian Portuguese.
    Really? Then why wont so many immigrants do that HERE!?!?!?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Really? Then why wont so many immigrants do that HERE!?!?!?
    Because English is a racist language, we should learn everybody else's and quit using it.
    "The Patriarch"

Also, I gotta say, I'm only on day 70 of studying Spanish, and there's a reason why the Foreign Service Institute rates it as a Category I language (easiest for English speakers to learn). The only other language I've studied in any depth is German, which is a Category II, but even though English is a Germanic language, Spanish is SO much easier to cope with. There is a ton of vocabulary crossover, comparatively weak genders and article shifts, and the words are mostly in the same order.

If you're not one of those who thinks Spanish speaking people in America are sub-humans, and you honestly believe they're people, then you don't have much excuse... install DuoLingo on your phone at least and start picking it up.
    Why is it up to me to learn to speak their language? And why are you insinuating I'm racist if I don't? What kind of bull$#@! is that?
    "The Patriarch"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valli6 View Post
    Another really simple fix would be, for those persons who can only speak spanish - just learn to say the words "custard", "small", "medium" and "large" in english! If the custard is that important to them, you'd think they'd be happy to do so. WTFs the matter with people?!

By the way, if you watch the video you'll see that the complaining jerk who wanted to place his order in spanish, already knew how to speak english - he just felt like whining for the attention. It's not as if spanish-speaking persons were being turned away. Now all the SJWs think they have a license to promote hatred of the owner and to destroy his small business.
    I think Mr. Butthurt could probably forego the custard anyway.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Look over there, everybody! Shiny, twirly thing!

Operating within the law? Choice of language in which one does business constitutes a point of law?

This is why the ultimate choice for this land will be lay down or fight to the death. There will be no "political" solution.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Seinfeld's soup Nazi?

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post

This is why the ultimate choice for this land will be lay down or fight to the death. There will be no "political" solution.
    People who go looking for a fight and view violence as the only solution to our problems aren't often as successful in the endeavor as those who are ready for one.

I notice that you promote this logic that blood must be spilled or that we have to go looking for a physical fight as the preferred solution a lot here. Is that what you think we're endorsing here?

All restaurants should have to have translators on staff. Think of how many jobs it would create.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    People who go looking for a fight and view violence as the only solution to our problems aren't often as successful in the endeavor as those who are ready for one.

I notice that you promote this logic that blood must be spilled or that we have to go looking for a physical fight as the preferred solution a lot here. Is that what you think we're endorsing here?
    You see what you want, a common enough failing of men.

In case you did not read quite carefully, nowhere did I endorse any such thing. I have merely observed that which is the most likely truth of the matter. We could go into a long discussion as to why it is so, but suffice to say that your thoughts erect your perceptual reality. When looking at thought and perception statistically, considering a valid population such at that of the American people, certain elements become apparent and certain consequences the most likely to follow.

The broader political perception in America has flown swiftly away from that which holds freedom high in its esteem. This is readily observable almost anywhere you look. People want their personal versions of pretty slavery to be made the universal standard for all men. They have NO respect for the wishes of their fellows.

For those who want freedom, how precisely does anyone think they are going to get it? Do they believe that talk and supplication are going bring it to their tables? Stomping and tantrums?

We live in a nation where close to a majority call for imprisonment or death to those who do not toe their philosophical lines. Where do you think such circumstance will lead?
    Last edited by osan; 05-21-2016 at 10:59 AM.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast