Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grocery, convenience stores can't sell cold beer, appeals court says

Grocery, convenience stores can't sell cold beer, appeals court says

*sigh*

Hoosiers who want to buy cold beer will have to keep going to liquor stores to do so.

An effort to invalidate Indiana's cold-beer statute failed — again — following an appeals court decision that keeps the status quo: Grocery and convenience stores can only sell beer at room temperature.

The ruling comes more than two years after the Indiana Petroleum Marketers and Convenience Store Association filed a federal lawsuit seeking to overturn the state's decades-old law that prohibits gas stations, convenience stores and grocery stores from selling cold beer, but allows liquor stores to do so.

The trade association claimed the law is discriminatory and violates the Equal Protection Clause of the U.S. Constitution. It also argued that the statute takes revenue away from its members.

Last year, federal district Judge Richard Young ruled that the state law is constitutional and Indiana has a rational basis for not allowing grocery and convenience stores to sell chilled beer. The trade association appealed the ruling, but the federal appeals court judges upheld it in a 3-0 decision.

The state argued that liquor stores are subject to stricter regulations "designed to enhance the State's ability to limit and control the distribution of alcohol." For example, no one younger than 21 is allowed in liquor stores. Hours and days of operation also are restricted.

"Indiana explains that the goal of this regulatory scheme is to curb underage beer consumption by limiting the sale of immediately consumable cold beer," the opinion says.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2...says/77361550/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Do it for the children. If just one underage person is prevented from drinking cold beer it will be worth it. Never mind that ID is required at both locations.
    "The Patriarch"

Do it for the children. If just one underage person is prevented from drinking cold beer it will be worth it. Never mind that ID is required at both locations.
    I hope they also require an ID when you buy ice and coolers....just to be extra safe.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Idea's so stupid they need to be enforced at gunpoint....
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I hope they also require an ID when you buy ice and coolers....just to be extra safe.
    Yes, yes, excellent point.
    "The Patriarch"

Perhaps just to hopefully deter the number of DWI/DUIs. One in ten drivers heading toward you is, by legal definition, drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Perhaps just to hopefully deter the number of DWI/DUIs. One in ten drivers heading toward you is, by legal definition, drunk.
    Like I said...

Idea's so stupid they need to be enforced at gunpoint....
    "The Patriarch"

Well why haven't they taken out the MADD supporters by now?

For Heavens sake, if they're such a hazard you'd think that with their illogical, illegal and irresponsible behavior these hooligans would have slaughtered the MADD people wholesale after a couple of decades worth of decadence.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Well why haven't they taken out the MADD supporters by now?

For Heavens sake, if they're such a hazard you'd think that with their illogical, illegal and irresponsible behavior these hooligans would have slaughtered the MADD people wholesale after a couple of decades worth of decadence.
    How many folks are killed and injured by drunk drivers each year, in the US?

What difference does it make?

To answer your question, I don't know, nor do I care.

Drunk driving has always been illegal, upping the ante with road blocks and life sentences hasn't deterred people one iota and neither will this silly piece of legislation.

Personally I'd rather share the road with professional drunks than texting teens and soccer moms but I don't want legislation against either, and I certainly don't want enforcement of said legislation.

Grocery and convenience stores can only sell beer at room temperature.
    Walk-in Fridge, problem solved.
    "I am a bird"

Bathtubs are what really concern me.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    What difference does it make?

To answer your question, I don't know, nor do I care.

Drunk driving has always been illegal, upping the ante with road blocks and life sentences hasn't deterred people one iota and neither will this silly piece of legislation.

Personally I'd rather share the road with professional drunks than texting teens and soccer moms but I don't want legislation against either, and I certainly don't want enforcement of said legislation.
    Do it for the children Tod.
    "The Patriarch"

Do it for the children Tod.
    How ignorant and thoughtless of me..........

well now beer drinkers will have time to think about getting drunk while the beer cools.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    well now beer drinkers will have time to think about getting drunk while the beer cools.
    Absolutely, some poor shlub that just spent a day in the sun working should have a cooling off period before drinking any beer.
    "The Patriarch"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    A whole thirty seconds with compressed air.

Can't you imagine the outrage today if a farmer kept an iced keg on the passenger side floorboard of his hay truck to keep the teenagers bucking bales?

Today's world is an absolute mess........

A whole thirty seconds with compressed air.

Sorry babe I tried to ++rep you but I have to +rep others before I can +rep you again.

This could be the business opportunity an HVAC expert needs to make millions...

12 pack insta-chillers on the sidewalk outside these stores...

1 buck, 1 minute, cold beer........

What was that about Indiana being the freest, best state in the nation?
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    What was that about Indiana being the freest, best state in the nation?
    Bogus propaganda?

The liquor store owners do not want competition and grease the palms of the right Rep.'s , Senators and judges . This is strictly about protecting monopoly money and always has been .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    The liquor store owners do not want competition and grease the palms of the right Rep.'s , Senators and judges . This is strictly about protecting monopoly money and always has been .
    Absolutely.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Liquor store owners have the added bonus of no Sun sales that they will never let go of . They would be out the extra cost of operating 7 days to compete with groceries that already do. Now , they just make all those sales on Sat and save the cost of labor .

Bogus propaganda?
    I suppose it would depend on what you compare it to . The corruption is limited to openly known areas. That alone probably puts it in the better 20 percent or so
    Last edited by oyarde; 05-17-2016 at 08:54 AM.

Buy your beer, take it home, put it in the fridge, drink it there later, when it's cold. Sober up, THEN go drive.

Buy your beer, take it home, put it in the fridge, drink it there later, when it's cold. Sober up, THEN go drive.
    Not that long ago it was...

Load the canoes, tents, coolers, fishing poles and dry-bags full of un-politically correct items in the pick-up.........Stop at the liquor store for a few cases and ice, crack a round and fill the coolers in the parking lot....

Drive to the put-in point, unload gear and women, have another round plus one for the road and run shuttle.......Stop at the liquor store on the way back from dropping off the shuttle vehicles, grab another case and a handle, have another round and put-in to watch the sun come up........

Minus rep, mom.....
    "The Patriarch"

Minus rep, mom.....
    Find a good lawyer, son. -Rep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast