Thread: The rise in marijuana use among seniors - CBS Sunday Morning

The rise in marijuana use among seniors - CBS Sunday Morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VneCaYJUHNE

More and more Americans age 55 and older are using marijuana. Many - converts who previously preached the dangers of drugs - are advocates for the medicinal benefits of cannabis in treating the aches and pains of aging. Barry Petersen reports.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There are lots of my parents generation who have been stoners for literally decades...

My generation (Boomers) are the same way....

Problem with both our generations is the power hungry moral majority...

Wow. The 1:30 minute mark...the number of 55 and over increased dramatically from 2013 to 2014 2.8 mil to 4.3 mi.

CBS This Morning also did a segment -- great reports both of them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0WUn4WHi-o

Did you know the 55-and-older crowd is now the fastest-growing demographic of pot users in the country? Barry Petersen takes a look at how the newest marijuana customers are becoming more serious about their cannabis consumption.
    Last edited by jct74; 05-21-2016 at 09:41 AM.

My mom tried it for the first time a few years ago. She has back problems, nothing really bad, and hates the side effects of the pain pills the doctor gave her. Plus, she's not suppose to have her happy hour when she's taking them so we were looking for an alternative. It worries me when she washes her pain pills down with a cup of wine. Her younger sister has arthritis and smokes weed instead of taking pain pills and it works great for her so we convinced my mom to give it a shot. It didn't turn out well. She burned down that joint like it was a cigarette. It was like partying with a middle schooler. She was spilling her wine and talking in tongues by the time we cut her off. We've decided to revisit the idea but I'm looking for something less potent - apparently, we got some "good stuff".
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

180 marijuana plants found at 77-year-old Congressional candidate’s home

CROSSVILLE, TN (NBC News) – Flo Matheson, a candidate for Congress in Tennessee has no hesitation when it comes to speaking out about smoking pot.

Flo is facing legal problems. More than 180 marijuana plants were found on her property.

She denies knowing about the grow operation but doesn’t hesitate to talk about what she calls a bad law.

“I smoke marijuana,” Matheson said. “I’m guilty, I did it.”

It’s not often you hear about a 77-year-old woman running for office admitting to smoking weed. She knows it’s illegal but also says there’s no such thing as bad publicity and is now using that to help her campaign.

“I really don’t regret that this happened,” Matheson said. It’s been a life changing experience for me and in that it has made me more defiant and determined to try and get these laws changed.”
    “I guess I would say I smoke it about 2 or three times a week.”

Matheson said she understand people doubting her leadership after breaking the law, but isn’t too worried about it.

“I do,” Matheson said while laughing. “But, I tell ya I don’t feel that bad about breaking a bad law.”

She even admitted to making oil.
    http://kxan.com/2016/05/20/77-year-o...row-operation/

How many Boomers turn 65 every day?

A couple of puffs as opposed to the whole damn thing will help avoid nonsense. If you got some of the "good stuff" for real, then its VERY powerful compared to what a lot of people are used to smoking say 20, 30 even only 10 years ago.

If smoking a joint 30 years ago was like have 3 beers, smoking one today would be like doing 12 shots all at once and wondering why you feel like a mac truck hit you.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    My mom tried it for the first time a few years ago. She has back problems, nothing really bad, and hates the side effects of the pain pills the doctor gave her. Plus, she's not suppose to have her happy hour when she's taking them so we were looking for an alternative. It worries me when she washes her pain pills down with a cup of wine. Her younger sister has arthritis and smokes weed instead of taking pain pills and it works great for her so we convinced my mom to give it a shot. It didn't turn out well. She burned down that joint like it was a cigarette. It was like partying with a middle schooler. She was spilling her wine and talking in tongues by the time we cut her off. We've decided to revisit the idea but I'm looking for something less potent - apparently, we got some "good stuff".
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim;6221662[B
    ]A couple of puffs as opposed to the whole damn thing will help avoid nonsense.[/B] If you got some of the "good stuff" for real, then its VERY powerful compared to what a lot of people are used to smoking say 20, 30 even only 10 years ago.

If smoking a joint 30 years ago was like have 3 beers, smoking one today would be like doing 12 shots all at once and wondering why you feel like a mac truck hit you.
    Impossible! It'd be easier to get her less potent weed.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Maybe easier, but the lesser of the options. A bit of the good stuff is...well...good.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    A couple of puffs as opposed to the whole damn thing will help avoid nonsense. If you got some of the "good stuff" for real, then its VERY powerful compared to what a lot of people are used to smoking say 20, 30 even only 10 years ago.

This ^^^ I can tell you from experience! I'm 63, weed 40 years ago was fun, roll some with banana papers, pass a few around and everything was good. Today, the tiniest amount in a bowl totally wrecks me. (Do they still use the term "wrecked").

The Mac truck comment is exactly where it puts me. I honestly can't enjoy the "mild buzz" anymore with this new stuff. I like the mild buzz anything else and I'm thinking about outer space and forget what I'm talking about in mid-sentence, lol.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Even decent stuff these days is crazy strong compared to 40 years ago. The truly powerful stuff will knock you on your ass with one puff that you hold for 4 or 5 secs and exhale.

I got wrecked a few nights ago. I'm still not sure where all that time went

Quote Originally Posted by sam1952 View Post
    This ^^^ I can tell you from experience! I'm 63, weed 40 years ago was fun, roll some with banana papers, pass a few around and everything was good. Today, the tiniest amount in a bowl totally wrecks me. (Do they still use the term "wrecked").

The Mac truck comment is exactly where it puts me. I honestly can't enjoy the "mild buzz" anymore with this new stuff. I like the mild buzz anything else and I'm thinking about outer space and forget what I'm talking about in mid-sentence, lol.

Small pipe. One hit at a time.

nearing my one year soon. (July)

Many benefits,,

And with the AK 47 I have lately,, I have not used Aspirin in a couple months.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Small pipe. One hit at a time.

nearing my one year soon. (July)

Many benefits,,

And with the AK 47 I have lately,, I have not used Aspirin in a couple months.
    Okay, that's a doable idea. Thanks!

Small pipe, small bong, vaporizer. All viable options for 1 toke at a time as opposed to mindlessly reefing on a joint and travelling to another Universe.

Okay, that's a doable idea. Thanks!

Maybe it's just people retiring and/or quitting the rat race?

I know one of the first things I'd like to do, if I didn't have Uncle Sucker's piss tests hanging over me, is get buzzed.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post

I don't think pot is better now than it used to be at all. Especially some of the stuff they call good. When I used to smoke 40+ years ago I could take a few hits and be stoned all day now even the good stuff seems to wear off pretty fast at least for me it does. I don't like pot that makes me sleepy and hungry either. I like it to make me feel up and like doing something.

I don't know what you're smoking. It's scientifically accurate to state that today's pot is MUCH more potent then decades ago.

Also...when it comes to "sleepy" or "energized" and the effects of different strains...weed is not weed is not weed. There are sativa and indica strains and then many, many hybrids that are grown for specific highs/effects and practical uses.

There are strains grown to help with pain and insomnia and provide more of a head buzz (more likely to make u feel sleepy after 30 or 45 mins). There are types grown for energy...to help with lethargy...body buzz types...the latter is BY FAR my favorite type. I get energized and dare I say **extremely** horny. Complete 180 from the former type.

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I don't think pot is better now than it used to be at all. Especially some of the stuff they call good. When I used to smoke 40+ years ago I could take a few hits and be stoned all day now even the good stuff seems to wear off pretty fast at least for me it does. I don't like pot that makes me sleepy and hungry either. I like it to make me feel up and like doing something.
    Last edited by Seraphim; 05-21-2016 at 01:00 PM.

IT'S A TRAP! Once they're all in prison, they lose the SS payments, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    Lines dear, snort lines.......

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Lines dear, snort lines.......
    I can't that stuff makes my heart hurt just give me some good up weed.