Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malware Removal

Malware Removal

Does anyone have a free Malware Removal tool that you may recommend?

- ML

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I used to run nod32 back in the day, but I don't know if they still have a free product.

HijackThis! is good for semi-automated detection/removal, looks like now they have been acquired by Trend Micro and rolled it into a more complete system:
    http://free.antivirus.com/us/
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Try Malwarebytes: https://www.malwarebytes.org/dl-confirm/
    If the malware prevents instalation of antimalware, you can try malwarebytes chameleon: https://www.malwarebytes.org/chameleon/

There is also Kapersky virus removal tool: http://www.kaspersky.com/antivirus-removal-tool?form=1
    McAfee Stinger: http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/f...s/stinger.aspx

For spyware/adware, unwanted programs, hijackers, etc. : superantispyware: http://www.superantispyware.com/
    (Click the free version)
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

first step to effectively removing malware is removal of microsoft from your computer

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    first step to effectively removing malware is removal of microsoft from your computer
    this stopped being true about 10 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    this stopped being true about 10 years ago
    strange... I've been on open source linux for well over a decade... I've never once run a virus scan or had to deal with malware in all that time.

if closed source microsoft has come so far.... why is malware still an issue?

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

I've never once had malware or a virus on any of my Windows machines. Not once.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Landon View Post

- ML

Did you get worked out yet or no?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    FWIW, I second the Malwarebytes recommendation.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

- ML
    The "HowTo" thread here has some good removal advice: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.p...re-removal.35/

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Did you get worked out yet or no?
    I'm still working on it. I'm not sure if I have a virus or not. My computer went haywire when I tried to go on a website for a Semi-Pro Football team. I had a notice pop up that said a virus got through onto my computer and since then a lot of my files on Task Manager have a *32 after them. The *32 wasn't there previously.

Any ideas on what would cause that other than a virus?

Thanks.
    - ML

can you still open the files that have been renamed?

I'm still working on it. I'm not sure if I have a virus or not. My computer went haywire when I tried to go on a website for a Semi-Pro Football team. I had a notice pop up that said a virus got through onto my computer and since then a lot of my files on Task Manager have a *32 after them. The *32 wasn't there previously.

Thanks.
    - ML
    On windows those are usually programs that link to 32-bit system runtimes/libraries. Back when they transitioned from 16-bit to 32-bit they started putting 32 in the 32-bit filenames to differentiate from the 16-bit runtimes. Today we are going through the same situation with 64-bit systems- the standard is now predominantly 64-bit, but some software is still built for 32-bit, and requires to link to 32-bit runtimes. If you are just now seeing them, it is likely because you installed (knowingly or not) something that is linking to these 32-bit runtimes. They were probably already there, but if you run something that depends on them, they will have to start up (which you will notice in task manager).
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    can you still open the files that have been renamed?
    The file itself hasn't been renamed but there is a *32 after the file name in the Task Manager. I am still able to open the regular file.

Thanks for your help.

- ML

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    On windows those are usually programs that link to 32-bit system runtimes/libraries. Back when they transitioned from 16-bit to 32-bit they started putting 32 in the 32-bit filenames to differentiate from the 16-bit runtimes. Today we are going through the same situation with 64-bit systems- the standard is now predominantly 64-bit, but some software is still built for 32-bit, and requires to link to 32-bit runtimes. If you are just now seeing them, it is likely because you installed (knowingly or not) something that is linking to these 32-bit runtimes. They were probably already there, but if you run something that depends on them, they will have to start up (which you will notice in task manager).
    I assumed it had to do with the virus incident because that's when they all switched to showing *32. My computer seems to be running fine.

Thanks.

- ML

screen shot your task manager; post imgur

all of the running programs with *32... do right click "open file location" ; copy paste the locations they are running here
    Last edited by presence; 05-11-2016 at 05:30 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ArcSoft\Connection Service\Bin

C:\Program Files (x86)\AdFender

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0

C:\Program Files (x86)\VTech\DownloadManager\System

C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Shared files

C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP CoolSense

C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin

C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch

C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP On Screen Display

C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Software Update

C:\Program Files (x86)\HP SimplePass

C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer

C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update

C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD10

C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\YouCam

Let me know if I copied and pasted incorrectly...

Thanks for the help.
    - ML

Thanks.
    - ML
    A lot of times those popups on web pages are just trickery t olure you into installign something. And they're usually java script or some kind of flash popup. And, then, those things push your cpu of the charts.

If it wasn't an actual antivirus that gave you a popup, then, you likely don't have a virus.

If you're running Windows, here is what I'd do.

First go to this page and run this online virus scan. It's ESET. http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner-popup/

Then Get a good Hosts fuile. Here is the one I use. Just right click the zip file, download it to your downloads folder and, tyhen, unzip it, right-click the MVPS.bat file and run as administrator.

Then install, update and immunize your system with SpywareBlaster - https://www.brightfort.com/spywareblaster.html - check this for updates once in a while, too.

What these two will do is keep the stuff from being able to make a connection on your system. And in most cases you won't be able to even get malware or spyware unless you knowingly install it.

Of course, Malwarebytes is good, too. I run that once in a while. But only after the fact of those other ones I've listed.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ArcSoft\Connection Service\Bin

C:\Program Files (x86)\AdFender

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0

C:\Program Files (x86)\VTech\DownloadManager\System

C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Shared files

C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP CoolSense

C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin

C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch

C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP On Screen Display

C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Software Update

C:\Program Files (x86)\HP SimplePass

C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes

C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD10

C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\YouCam

Let me know if I copied and pasted incorrectly...

Thanks for the help.
    - ML
    Those are actually legit processes. They don't need to be running all of the time, though. They're likely scheduled to run at startup. That's what is going on. Your cpu is maxed out with all of that running, I'd imagine.

The HP, cyberlink and Kodak stuff is likely what is killing you. Maybe itunes, too. Java udate doesn't need to be running. You can disable that in control panel and just check in manually once in a while. I don't even run Java myself.

So, then, if you type MSConfig from the run command in your start menu it'll tell you what is running at startup and you can eneble/disable from there.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 05-11-2016 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Those are actually legit processes. They don't need to be running all of the time, though. They're likely scheduled to run at startup. That's what is going on. Your cpu is maxed out with all of that running, I'd imagine.

The HP, cyberlink and Kodak stuff is likely what is killing you. Maybe itunes, too. Java udate doesn't need to be running. You can disable that in control panel and just check in manually once in a while. I don't even run Java myself.

So, then, if you type MSConfig from the run command in your start menu it'll tell you what is running at startup and you can eneble/disable from there.
    If you look at my list of processes, which ones are not necessary? I'm not too computer savvy but I would like to cut down on the number of programs running when I start up. I figured out how to disable the processes from running at the start up but before I start disabling them I want to make sure I don't disable the wrong ones.

- ML

If you look at my list of processes, which ones are not necessary? I'm not too computer savvy but I would like to cut down on the number of programs running when I start up. I figured out how to disable the processes from running at the start up but before I start disabling them I want to make sure I don't disable the wrong ones.

- ML
    Okay. Hold on a second. I'll check them off. But in the mean time go down to your tooltray/notification area dwn there in the lower right hand corner of your toolbar and right click on your HP, itunes and cyberlink icons (they'll be there) and open each one to change their settings. They should all have things within them that you can disable from running unless you specifically call on them to run.

So, yeah. Hold on a second.

Here you go, man. You might have to disable some of these from within the programs themselves, though. Particularly your HP printer stuff and the Kodak stuff. Probably the cyberlink stuff, too. So, then, open them and go through their settings.

But you can still run MsConfig command, too, to disable. Better to do so from within the program itself if it's possible, though.

Last edited by Natural Citizen; 05-11-2016 at 08:31 PM.

I'd second Malwarebytes.

Whether or not that helps in this particular situation, it's an excellent FREE malware removal software.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I would uninstall Ad-Aware, too. That's a matter of choice. Adblock plus is way better and doesn't use resources like an actual program (Ad-Aware).

And you can enable/disable adblock plus per site. Like for RPF, you could disable adblock so that Bryan generates ad revenue for the site. It's just little red icon down in the bottom status bar of your browser that you can right-click to enable/diable per site.

But still do the stuff there in post #19, though. The MVPS.Bat file, especially.

Java update you can turn of in Control Panel/Java
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 05-11-2016 at 08:31 PM.

the itunes helper is an add-on in your browser, I think.

Tools/manage add-ones in your browser settings.

Global Security Settings for Flash - This you do through your browser itself...

https://www.macromedia.com/support/d...manager02.html

A lot of people don't even know this is exists but it does. And it works. Go through each tab and select settings you want.

helpful thread - good advice

check each instance; make sure all of the internet explorers in your task manager all point back to that location

One of his IE instances from that screenshot is the 64-bit IE, so it should have a different file path. Kinda curious the *32 ones are using hella memory compared to the other one.

The (x86) in the path leads to the 32-bit program versions. The other path to program files leads to 64-bit versions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast