Thread: Obama just called out Rand Paul

Obama just called out Rand Paul

Obama is making a speech about a tax enforcement plan and treaties he is pushing. He called out Rand as someone who is blocking him.

He kind of stammered before saying that Rand is "quirky" on the issue.

Update:

Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 05-07-2016 at 12:58 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand Paul pushes repeal of Obama tax law despised by Americans living abroad

Says Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) has forced many to renounce U.S. citizenship

By Ralph Z. Hallow - The Washington Times - Tuesday, March 10, 2015

“Not only is FATCA dangerous with respect to the privacy protections owed to every American — home or abroad — it has threatened the livelihood of millions of Americans working or living overseas,” said Sen. Rand Paul, Kentucky Republican.

Rand Paul, the Kentucky senator and 2016 Republican presidential hopeful, is leading an effort to repeal a tax law prized by President Obama but despised by millions of Americas who live and work outside the United States.

Mr. Paul formally introduced legislation this month in the Senate to reverse the main requirements of the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act, saying the law has wrongly deprived American ex-patriots of access to banking services, violated their privacy and forced many to renounce their citizenship.
    “Not only is FATCA dangerous with respect to the privacy protections owed to every American — home or abroad — it has threatened the livelihood of millions of Americans working or living overseas,” Mr. Paul said.

One of those is Roger G. Johnson, a U.S. Army major in the first Iraq War who says the law forced him to face agonizing personal and financial decisions just so he could continue working in the Czech Republic with his wife.

“I once got trapped in an enemy minefield with no good choices —
    getting hit with FATCA felt a bit like that,” said Mr. Johnson, who
    “had to choose between renouncing my U.S. citizenship or face onerous tax penalties.”

Speaking from a home he maintains in Fresno, California, he added, “I am a proud American who served his country in uniform during wartime as well as in peacetime. I was born an American and never considered that any circumstance could arise which could cause me to consider renouncing my U.S. citizenship.”

FATCA has forced him to go through the expensive and arduous process of transferring his property to his wife’s name.

His situation was like many of the 7.6 million Americans who live abroad and are affected by FACTA.

The law was passed by a Democratic Congress and signed by Mr. Obama in 2010 with the stated goal of preventing Americans living overseas from cheating on their taxes. But the law has had far-reaching consequences beyond that.

It requires foreign banks to monitor and report to the Internal Revenue Service on the banking of Americans residing overseas or risk severe punishment.
    Mr. Paul said the reporting requirements violate the privacy guaranteed by the Constitution and added a costly burden on banks, many of whom have chosen to stop serving overseas Americans rather than comply.

“As a result, the private data of American accounts is forfeited, and foreign banks have approached the onus of this law by shutting their doors to U.S. citizens,” Mr. Paul said.

If Americans like Mr. Johnson cling to their U.S. citizenship,

they face double taxation

by the U.S. and foreign governments and huge financial penalties because, they say, the Obama law rests on the assumption that all Americans living and working abroad are tax cheats — and so are automatically treated as guilty until they can prove innocence.

The senator first introduced legislation in 2013 to reverse the impact of FACTA, but it went nowhere in a Democratic-controlled Senate. With Republicans now in charge, he hopes to move the bill to the floor for a vote. It has no co-sponsors yet and was referred to the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations for initial review.

Whether the bill advances or not, it gives Mr. Paul a forum to raise some of his favorite issues — tax fairness, privacy and government overreach — as he gears up his 2016 presidential bid.

Rand’s bill would unarguably repeal FATCA by erasing the act’s seven key provisions,”

explained Jim Bopp, a Republican lawyer who also serves as treasurer and general counsel for Republicans Overseas, a group that is going to court to challenge the constitutionality of FACTA.

Mr. Johnson is a plaintiff in that lawsuit.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...sed-/?page=all
    Last edited by presence; 05-06-2016 at 10:35 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

FU obama.....tax enforcement.........BS.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

the law has wrongly deprived American ex-patriots of access to...
    Typo or intentional smear?

Rand has been blocking them for 5 years!

Wow! Rand should run for POTUS...!

Oh wait...
    Freedom Report

Twitter Page

"I am convinced that there are more threats to American liberty within the 10 mile radius of my office on Capitol Hill than there are on the rest of the globe." -- Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    I would think that would be considered high praise on this forum.

Obama calling out Rand should be seen as a badge of honor. He's doing something right if he's pissing Obama off.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Outstanding. WTG Rand!

Perhaps that is why the Trump supporters are floating the idea of Rand being the V.P. They want him out of the Senate when Trillary is sworn in. Thank goodness he won't have anything to do with the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Obama is making a speech about a tax enforcement plan and treaties he is pushing. He called out Rand as someone who is blocking him.

He kind of stammered before saying that Rand is "quirky" on the issue.

This is so awesome. Rand is really quite good at keeping front and center in the big conversations that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Perhaps that is why the Trump supporters are floating the idea of Rand being the V.P. They want him out of the Senate when Trillary is sworn in. Thank goodness he won't have anything to do with the idea.
    Rand could run a successful Senate campaign and be a VP candidate.

Trump would be smart to get Rand as his VP...but somehow I don't see Rand going for it.

Then again Trump might be dumb to get Rand Paul...sadly Americans are too stupid to see Rand Paul as a good choice when he was the best choice for President (and I don't feel Rand is anything like his dad).
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

Any video of the Obama comment about Rand?

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Any video of the Obama comment about Rand?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No. Ex-patriot is simply the generic term for someone living outside of their home country. For instance, Americans living on Mexico or Costa Rica are referred as American ex-patriots.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Too bad Obama could not have called out Rand sooner. Or maybe even declared Obama war on Rand. It would have been very helpful to Rand's campaign.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

lol nice catch, I lean typo

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    No. Ex-patriot is simply the generic term for someone living outside of their home country. For instance, Americans living on Mexico or Costa Rica are referred as American ex-patriots.
    actually

expatriate

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    actually expatriate
    You're right! LOL. I didn't even catch it and repeated it.

Quote Originally Posted by iNoob View Post
    Nice. Added to OP.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

That video warms my heart.

LOL @ Obama, he can shove it. Go Rand Go!

"stop it!" says obama as he cries to the teacher.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    This is so awesome. Rand is really quite good at keeping front and center in the big conversations that matter.
    Unfortunately the conversations that matter to Boobus are Where to go potty, Fracking, and Yuge walls.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Unfortunately the conversations that matter to Boobus are Where to go potty, Fracking, and Yuge walls.
    Nuclear Winter? Yeah, not important at all. Now where does Russia produce its Cheerios so we can go piss in them?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel999 View Post
    Trump would be smart to get Rand as his VP...but somehow I don't see Rand going for it.
    Rand would bring nothing to the table in terms of helping Trump get elected and Trump would be losing an irreplaceable ally in the Senate for pushing through his foreign policy and trade positions. It would be an idiotic decision for Trump, and equally idiotic for Rand since Senator is a far more powerful position than Vice President.

Well, that is certainly an argument in favor of bitcoin.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulMall View Post
    Rand would bring nothing to the table in terms of helping Trump get elected and Trump would be losing an irreplaceable ally in the Senate for pushing through his foreign policy and trade positions. It would be an idiotic decision for Trump, and equally idiotic for Rand since Senator is a far more powerful position than Vice President.
    Exactly, although I think a Trump advisor said that Trump would basically be outsourcing his job to the VP. Then again, his advisors have been saying all kinds of things lately.

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic