Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 72

Thread: The dangerous nihilism of Trump voters

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt150 View Post
    I already explained it to you in the other thread. Check it out, and then you won't make any more confused posts in the future.
    I made it clear in the other thread where the source of "derangement" came from. Check it out. Glad to be of help.



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt150 View Post
    I already explained it to you in the other thread. Check it out, and then you won't make any more confused posts in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I made it clear in the other thread where the source of "derangement" came from. Check it out. Glad to be of help.
    You spewed some senseless drivel, which is apparently your specialty.

    Your idea to ally with the neocons out of mutual butthurt against Trump is about the most incomprehensibly stupid idea imaginable.



  4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  5. #33
    I have nothing but nihilism. Politics is a joke. None of these idiots are going to protect you.

  6. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by moostraks View Post
    As a Ron Paul voter, I never wanted the system rigged in my favor. I wanted the village out of my household. I want freedom, not authoritarian control that merely favors my position for as long as "my" authoritarian can maintain control. So, no, all voters do not use their ballot to achieve the same result.
    We were all RP voters. However, right now there is no liberty candidate running. You can choose to opt out until another RP comes along, but don't blame those of us who don't see it the same way.
    Last edited by LibertyEagle; 05-07-2016 at 04:25 AM.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

    Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

    The Property Basis of Rights

  7. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    We were all RP voters. However, right now there is no liberty candidate running. You can choose to opt out until another RP comes along, but don't blame those of us who don't see it the same way.
    I wasn't speaking for anyone but myself, and what drove my support for the candidate to whom you you alluded his supporters were likewise looking to rig the system in their own favor. The motivation I had as a RP voter was not to rig anything but to work towards shrinking things to nonexistent preferably.

    Everyone who posts on RPFs cannot be said to have voted for Ron Paul. Yell all you wish. Some have stated they are or were too young to vote for him.

    Evil is evil, and just like poison, destroys the body that embraces it. When you choose to inflict your flavor of poison upon my household telling me to sit down and drink, don't be surprised when I point out that it isn't candy but poison that YOU and your "friends" are forcing my family and I to accept.I have a vested interest in this outcome, just as do you. You have chosen your ally and I believe him to be vile and his path untenable. I will not sit down and drink the poison just because you like him.

    What seems to be disgusting you is not the belief that my path is one of opting out. You see, if I merely opted out I would not be arguing against YOUR guy. What seems to bother you is that I am thwarting your choice by shining the light on the vile nature of your decision to support him.

    Now, if you and other voters like you, were merely voting to hang yourselves with an authoritarian, I might point out the dangers in your future and leave you to it. If you, and voters like you, were to allow me and mine out of that nifty social contract to live our lives outside of the nonsense you wish to impose upon society, I would again leave you to it. But as you wish to impose your authoritarian upon me and mine, don't think you can bully, guilt, or shame me into standing by idly so you can easily seat your personal dictator on the throne.

    ~~~peace
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota


    Go Forward With Courage

    When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

    Ponca Chief White Eagle

  8. #36
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

  9. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt150 View Post
    You spewed some senseless drivel, which is apparently your specialty.

    Your idea to ally with the neocons out of mutual butthurt against Trump is about the most incomprehensibly stupid idea imaginable.
    The neocons are voting for Clinton.

    Go ahead. Accuse him of voting for Clinton and see what happens. Go ahead.
    'I prefer someone who burns the flag and then wraps themselves up in the Constitution over someone who burns the Constitution and then wraps themselves up in the flag.'--Molly Ivins

    'Well, you can get no more liberty than you give.'--Will Rogers

  10. #38
    The author seems to assume a bit too much about "Trump voters".

    FAIL.
    Through lives and lives shalt thou pay, O' king.

    Freedom will be stolen from you in a heartbeat if you do not behave as a wild and ravening beast pursuant to its protection.

    "Government" is naught but a mental construct, a script to which people meekly accept and play out their assigned roles by those with no authority to dictate such.

    Pray for reset.


  11. #39
    OK, let us see what Huffington Blowhard has to say



    So what does Trump tell us about ourselves, then?
    Starts off on shaky feet.

    By being loud and obnoxious and by having no allegiance to anything resembling the truth, Trump is the perfect personification of politics today.
    Oh yes, and Obama was so perfectly different, which is why some of us put him into office. Twice.

    It’s trite to blame the amorphous “media” for everything,
    Therefore, "amorphous" media must be innocent on all counts? This would appear to be one of the subtexts lurking in this cynical little gem of journalistic virtue.

    but sometimes there are legitimate concerns that need to be addressed.
    Such depth... I... I... I think I'm going to cry...

    Oops, false alarm.

    The political press has responded to their own economic problems by advancing divisive and destructive discourse at the expense of almost everything else. This isn’t unique to any side or agenda, either. And it’s more than simple partisanship; every political outlet in the history of mankind has been partisan. No, it’s worse than partisanship—it’s for-profit nihilism...




    There are animals that can survive in the sulfuric discharge of undersea volcanoes. It’s not the animals’ fault they can survive there and that they thrive in that environment—it’s evolution. Politics today is that sulfuric cloud and Trump is the apex invertebrate. The two sides not only understand each other, they need each other.

    Had this cretin written such a thing about Bammy, the world would still be hearing about it, 8 years later. His credibility just flew the coop... that is, assuming he ever had any.

    When you’ve turned politics into reality TV, you get reality TV personalities running for office.

    Is there no end to this writer's clever little quips?

    When you demand sound bites that only exist to drives clicks, you get politicians who speak only in sound bites that drive clicks. When you substitute brand management over being a real human being, you get the ascent of brands over human beings.
    Because the writer knows what "everyone" demands.

    Trump is a brand
    Yes. So what?

    a simulacrum devoid of nuance and depth.
    When the writer can honestly say he's been giving Trump daily head for at least a year, then his declaration may hold some credit-worthiness. Until then, he is emoting from his anus.

    Trump is a swindler offering empty anecdotes and meaningless solutions to nonexistent problems...
    And the writer's mother is a mongrel crack-ho' who will please any man's willie for $2, discounted to $0.50 on Tuesday and Wednesday on her weekly Working Man's Special.

    See how easy it is to make authoritative statements about the most intimate qualities of other people, the truth of which is anyone's guess?

    Typical Huff Blow fare.

    FAIL.
    Through lives and lives shalt thou pay, O' king.

    Freedom will be stolen from you in a heartbeat if you do not behave as a wild and ravening beast pursuant to its protection.

    "Government" is naught but a mental construct, a script to which people meekly accept and play out their assigned roles by those with no authority to dictate such.

    Pray for reset.


  12. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    OK, let us see what Huffington Blowhard has to say





    Starts off on shaky feet.



    Oh yes, and Obama was so perfectly different, which is why some of us put him into office. Twice.



    Therefore, "amorphous" media must be innocent on all counts? This would appear to be one of the subtexts lurking in this cynical little gem of journalistic virtue.



    Such depth... I... I... I think I'm going to cry...

    Oops, false alarm.










    Had this cretin written such a thing about Bammy, the world would still be hearing about it, 8 years later. His credibility just flew the coop... that is, assuming he ever had any.




    Is there no end to this writer's clever little quips?



    Because the writer knows what "everyone" demands.



    Yes. So what?



    When the writer can honestly say he's been giving Trump daily head for at least a year, then his declaration may hold some credit-worthiness. Until then, he is emoting from his anus.



    And the writer's mother is a mongrel crack-ho' who will please any man's willie for $2, discounted to $0.50 on Tuesday and Wednesday on her weekly Working Man's Special.

    See how easy it is to make authoritative statements about the most intimate qualities of other people, the truth of which is anyone's guess?

    Typical Huff Blow fare.

    FAIL.
    What a persuasive argument. Am wondering which one of the two categories your opinion falls under:
    When the writer can honestly say he's been giving Trump daily head for at least a year, then his declaration may hold some credit-worthiness. Until then, he is emoting from his anus.
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota


    Go Forward With Courage

    When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

    Ponca Chief White Eagle



  13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  14. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by moostraks View Post
    What a persuasive argument. Am wondering which one of the two categories your opinion falls under:

    When the writer can honestly say he's been giving Trump daily head for at least a year, then his declaration may hold some credit-worthiness. Until then, he is emoting from his anus.
    I'm not sure either. But I do know that the HuffPo writer falls under Choice C: All of the Above
    'I prefer someone who burns the flag and then wraps themselves up in the Constitution over someone who burns the Constitution and then wraps themselves up in the flag.'--Molly Ivins

    'Well, you can get no more liberty than you give.'--Will Rogers

  15. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    I'm not sure either. But I do know that the HuffPo writer falls under Choice C: All of the Above
    Ewww...there just ain't enough bleach in this world. Talk about making my skin crawl. No amount of money can be worth that and yet some very pathetic folks have had no problem going there. Yuck, yuck, yuck...need to throw on some Bach and purge my mind for a bit.
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota


    Go Forward With Courage

    When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

    Ponca Chief White Eagle

  16. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by moostraks View Post
    What a persuasive argument. Am wondering which one of the two categories your opinion falls under:
    Am I to take it that you found the article in question sound, truthful, and all that other good stuff?

    As for persuasive - that wasn't my goal. Sarcasm in the face of head-splitting stupidity, OTOH, was.
    Through lives and lives shalt thou pay, O' king.

    Freedom will be stolen from you in a heartbeat if you do not behave as a wild and ravening beast pursuant to its protection.

    "Government" is naught but a mental construct, a script to which people meekly accept and play out their assigned roles by those with no authority to dictate such.

    Pray for reset.


  17. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Am I to take it that you found the article in question sound, truthful, and all that other good stuff?

    As for persuasive - that wasn't my goal. Sarcasm in the face of head-splitting stupidity, OTOH, was.
    OH that was SARCASM...in the face of head-splitting stupidity, you say...how novel!

    I suppose folks nowadays are rewarding with extra Brownie points for replying to posts with nonsensical crassness in lieu of discussion? Or is it just plus rep whoring from the WWE crowd?
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota


    Go Forward With Courage

    When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

    Ponca Chief White Eagle

  18. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by moostraks View Post
    OH that was SARCASM...in the face of head-splitting stupidity, you say...how novel!

    I suppose folks nowadays are rewarding with extra Brownie points for replying to posts with nonsensical crassness in lieu of discussion? Or is it just plus rep whoring from the WWE crowd?
    Good grief... who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?
    Through lives and lives shalt thou pay, O' king.

    Freedom will be stolen from you in a heartbeat if you do not behave as a wild and ravening beast pursuant to its protection.

    "Government" is naught but a mental construct, a script to which people meekly accept and play out their assigned roles by those with no authority to dictate such.

    Pray for reset.


  19. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by moostraks View Post
    I wasn't speaking for anyone but myself, and what drove my support for the candidate to whom you you alluded his supporters were likewise looking to rig the system in their own favor. The motivation I had as a RP voter was not to rig anything but to work towards shrinking things to nonexistent preferably.

    Everyone who posts on RPFs cannot be said to have voted for Ron Paul. Yell all you wish. Some have stated they are or were too young to vote for him.

    Evil is evil, and just like poison, destroys the body that embraces it. When you choose to inflict your flavor of poison upon my household telling me to sit down and drink, don't be surprised when I point out that it isn't candy but poison that YOU and your "friends" are forcing my family and I to accept.I have a vested interest in this outcome, just as do you. You have chosen your ally and I believe him to be vile and his path untenable. I will not sit down and drink the poison just because you like him.

    What seems to be disgusting you is not the belief that my path is one of opting out. You see, if I merely opted out I would not be arguing against YOUR guy. What seems to bother you is that I am thwarting your choice by shining the light on the vile nature of your decision to support him.

    Now, if you and other voters like you, were merely voting to hang yourselves with an authoritarian, I might point out the dangers in your future and leave you to it. If you, and voters like you, were to allow me and mine out of that nifty social contract to live our lives outside of the nonsense you wish to impose upon society, I would again leave you to it. But as you wish to impose your authoritarian upon me and mine, don't think you can bully, guilt, or shame me into standing by idly so you can easily seat your personal dictator on the throne.

    ~~~peace
    Yeah, like I said, you are opting out. Stand up and be proud of it. Everyone has the right to their own choice.
    Last edited by LibertyEagle; 05-07-2016 at 09:22 PM.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

    Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

    The Property Basis of Rights

  20. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Yeah, like I said, you are opting out. Stand up and be proud of it. Everyone has the right to their own choice.
    Lol! Maybe if you repeat it enough and click your heels together? Welcome to the battlefield. Your participation in the primary already gave us our first win, if you did indeed support Trump. Thank you for your support. On to the next round?
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota


    Go Forward With Courage

    When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

    Ponca Chief White Eagle

  21. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    OK, let us see what Huffington Blowhard has to say





    Starts off on shaky feet.



    Oh yes, and Obama was so perfectly different, which is why some of us put him into office. Twice.



    Therefore, "amorphous" media must be innocent on all counts? This would appear to be one of the subtexts lurking in this cynical little gem of journalistic virtue.



    Such depth... I... I... I think I'm going to cry...

    Oops, false alarm.










    Had this cretin written such a thing about Bammy, the world would still be hearing about it, 8 years later. His credibility just flew the coop... that is, assuming he ever had any.




    Is there no end to this writer's clever little quips?



    Because the writer knows what "everyone" demands.



    Yes. So what?



    When the writer can honestly say he's been giving Trump daily head for at least a year, then his declaration may hold some credit-worthiness. Until then, he is emoting from his anus.



    And the writer's mother is a mongrel crack-ho' who will please any man's willie for $2, discounted to $0.50 on Tuesday and Wednesday on her weekly Working Man's Special.

    See how easy it is to make authoritative statements about the most intimate qualities of other people, the truth of which is anyone's guess?

    Typical Huff Blow fare.

    FAIL.
    Hate to break it to you but that Huff Post article was pretty much right on.

    You can hate the Huff all you want, but truth is truth.
    There is no spoon.



  22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  23. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Hate to break it to you but that Huff Post article was pretty much right on.

    You can hate the Huff all you want, but truth is truth.

    If you accept this as truth, that is fine with me. As for myself, I remain skeptical of it because the author supports nothing. He states opinion as fact and that is the problem I have with that drech they published. Had he qualified his statements with the likes of "in my opinion", that would have been a very different article. But this towering avatar of journalism went on as if doling out gems of raw, incontestable wisdom to the lowly and abject-cur readers. That qualifies in my book as pure feces, regardless of the truth value of his words, which remain in a state of non-demonstration.

    I don't care much what people choose to believe, but when I see a great steaming pile, I don't call it a goldfish.
    Through lives and lives shalt thou pay, O' king.

    Freedom will be stolen from you in a heartbeat if you do not behave as a wild and ravening beast pursuant to its protection.

    "Government" is naught but a mental construct, a script to which people meekly accept and play out their assigned roles by those with no authority to dictate such.

    Pray for reset.


  24. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    If you accept this as truth, that is fine with me. As for myself, I remain skeptical of it because the author supports nothing. He states opinion as fact and that is the problem I have with that drech they published. Had he qualified his statements with the likes of "in my opinion", that would have been a very different article. But this towering avatar of journalism went on as if doling out gems of raw, incontestable wisdom to the lowly and abject-cur readers. That qualifies in my book as pure feces, regardless of the truth value of his words, which remain in a state of non-demonstration.

    I don't care much what people choose to believe, but when I see a great steaming pile, I don't call it a goldfish.
    The piece was in the opinion section, so it is implied the whole thing falls in the "in my opinion" category.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

  25. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    The piece was in the opinion section, so it is implied the whole thing falls in the "in my opinion" category.
    Osan has way tooo much time on his hands. Posting gigantic walls of text that he claims to be facts as well. In reality, it's just his opinion. The word hypocrite comes to mind.
    A sense of danger gives birth to fear. And fear is the time-honored cross for the crucifixion of liberty.

  26. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    If you accept this as truth, that is fine with me. As for myself, I remain skeptical of it because the author supports nothing. He states opinion as fact and that is the problem I have with that drech they published. Had he qualified his statements with the likes of "in my opinion", that would have been a very different article. But this towering avatar of journalism went on as if doling out gems of raw, incontestable wisdom to the lowly and abject-cur readers. That qualifies in my book as pure feces, regardless of the truth value of his words, which remain in a state of non-demonstration.

    I don't care much what people choose to believe, but when I see a great steaming pile, I don't call it a goldfish.
    Yeah,when I see a great steaming pile I tend not to call it goldfish either. How much more of a clarification of it being opinion does one need than that it is a blog on HuffPo? Perhaps the syle of writing should have been a clue as to author's intent?
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota


    Go Forward With Courage

    When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

    Ponca Chief White Eagle

  27. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    OK, let us see what Huffington Blowhard has to say

    Starts off on shaky feet.

    Oh yes, and Obama was so perfectly different, which is why some of us put him into office. Twice.
    How's it working out with that mouse living in your pocket?

    Therefore, "amorphous" media must be innocent on all counts? This would appear to be one of the subtexts lurking in this cynical little gem of journalistic virtue.
    Article author is a media idiot. He's going to try and make himself and his fellow media idiots look good. You'll have more luck asking a fish not to breathe water.

    Such depth... I... I... I think I'm going to cry...

    Oops, false alarm.

    Ehh, he's using "nihilist" in the sense of simple "self destruction," which is really the stupid persons sense of the word, but it is not actually invalid.

    Had this cretin written such a thing about Bammy, the world would still be hearing about it, 8 years later. His credibility just flew the coop... that is, assuming he ever had any.
    Much worse things have been written about Obama than simple speculation that he lacks a backbone or may be related to insects and worms, and the world didn't spin off it's axis.

    Is there no end to this writer's clever little quips?
    That's just bog-standard "writing." Everyone who actually gets read punctates points with quips. As I recall, you are quite skilled at this.

    When you demand sound bites that only exist to drives clicks, you get politicians who speak only in sound bites that drive clicks. When you substitute brand management over being a real human being, you get the ascent of brands over human beings.
    Because the writer knows what "everyone" demands.
    The Big6 Media is more of a business model than a political model. They provide what the masses demand. At this point, the masses appear to want everything they know in the entire universe to fit into a single 30 second commercial spot. I used to think this was an example of the media manipulating people to make them stupider. Then I met the masses, and learned that by and large when people collect into large groups they are indeed just that dumb.

    Trump is a brand
    Yes. So what?
    This vehicle logically carries the premise forward, arguing that a "brand" is:

    a simulacrum devoid of nuance and depth.
    There may be just a touch of sophism, because he is largely implying that "people as brands" are devoid of depth, and this is largely true, but from that sweeping observation the author attempts to apply the characteristic to an individual, which is fallacious reasoning. I think the conclusion is correct despite the faulty thinking and fallacious argument, however I can clearly see what the author actually did wrong here. It's like a 3 or a 4 on a sin-scale of 10, and lol you went off like it was an 11:

    When the writer can honestly say he's been giving Trump daily head for at least a year, then his declaration may hold some credit-worthiness. Until then, he is emoting from his anus.
    Trump is a swindler offering empty anecdotes and meaningless solutions to nonexistent problems...
    Now see, this simply looks like an observation to me, not really a conclusion. He supports a couple of his clauses earlier in the story, so he is treating this observation like it were a conclusion. I was wondering the hows and whys of that until I saw that the story is a rhetorical opinion piece. In which case this would appear to follow the classic rhetorical format.

    And the writer's mother is a mongrel crack-ho' who will please any man's willie for $2, discounted to $0.50 on Tuesday and Wednesday on her weekly Working Man's Special.
    She'd need at least $10 to even have enough hours in the day to even support a minimal crack habit.

    See how easy it is to make authoritative statements about the most intimate qualities of other people, the truth of which is anyone's guess?

    Typical Huff Blow fare.

    FAIL.
    Author is a bat$#@! libtard wingnut dingbat, but you know the old yarn about broken clocks and such.

  28. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    The piece was in the opinion section, so it is implied the whole thing falls in the "in my opinion" category.
    I suppose that could excuse the style, but it is still a load in some places where he presumes to know what all "trump voters" think, feel, want, etc. Such does not qualify as valid opinion, IMO. <-- see how easy it is to properly qualify a statement? Taken out of original (editorial) context, the expressive style comes off as something very much other than opinion.
    Through lives and lives shalt thou pay, O' king.

    Freedom will be stolen from you in a heartbeat if you do not behave as a wild and ravening beast pursuant to its protection.

    "Government" is naught but a mental construct, a script to which people meekly accept and play out their assigned roles by those with no authority to dictate such.

    Pray for reset.


  29. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    I suppose that could excuse the style, but it is still a load in some places where he presumes to know what all "trump voters" think, feel, want, etc. Such does not qualify as valid opinion, IMO. <-- see how easy it is to properly qualify a statement? Taken out of original (editorial) context, the expressive style comes off as something very much other than opinion.
    I find nothing wrong with the style- and the overall message is spot on.

    Trump: The Nihilist We Deserve
    07/17/2015 02:16 pm ET | Updated Jul 17, 2015

    John E. Price
    Folklorist. Golfer. Baseball cap enthusiast.

    When I was 16, my aunt bought me the new Donald Trump book. It was full of empty anecdotes and meaningless solutions to nonexistent problems. I think I used it as a doorstop for a while (sorry, Aunt Dee). I guess I never really took “The Donald” seriously. In my eyes, he’s just an archetype: the charlatan, the swindler, the man whose entire identity is mindless narcissism. Snake-oil salesmen don’t care about the “facts” or “truth,” they only care about the next con, the next source of income and fame. That’s Trump’s entire past: whether it’s business, sports, or his TV shows. And like any good profiteer, he knows it!

    So it has come as no surprise to me that the man who uses illegal immigrant labor while milking legal loopholes is now “running for President” on the backs of those very laborers and those very loopholes. Every Trump-related headline can be shortened to: “Blowhard says blowhard thing (video at 11).”

    Most baffling, though, is this notion that “he tells it like it is.” No, he doesn’t. He’s not a self-made man; “sanctuary cities” have lower crime rates; illegal immigration is actually down; the USFL should have stayed a spring league... you get the idea. He’s not even a Republican. He’s probably not even actually running for President!

    Although, it’s not Trump’s fault he’s popular. After all, archetypes are merely reflections of culture. We need folk characters to help us make sense of our surroundings, our values, and our anxieties.

    So what does Trump tell us about ourselves, then?

    By being loud and obnoxious and by having no allegiance to anything resembling the truth, Trump is the perfect personification of politics today.

    It’s trite to blame the amorphous “media” for everything, but sometimes there are legitimate concerns that need to be addressed. The political press has responded to their own economic problems by advancing divisive and destructive discourse at the expense of almost everything else. This isn’t unique to any side or agenda, either. And it’s more than simple partisanship; every political outlet in the history of mankind has been partisan. No, it’s worse than partisanship—it’s for-profit nihilism.

    Today’s outrage industry is just that—an industry. Entire websites have built themselves around daily “scandals“ that reward their bank accounts but leave a wake of bitter and self-righteous keyboard activists floundering for more. It’s no surprise, then, that someone like Trump can enter stage right and become an instant sensation.

    The political media has nurtured and profited off of this environment and now they’re reaping the fruits of their labor. Do you really think that anyone at a major political outlet is unhappy Trump is loud and obnoxious? It’s guaranteed clicks!

    There are animals that can survive in the sulfuric discharge of undersea volcanoes. It’s not the animals’ fault they can survive there and that they thrive in that environment—it’s evolution. Politics today is that sulfuric cloud and Trump is the apex invertebrate. The two sides not only understand each other, they need each other.

    When you’ve turned politics into reality TV, you get reality TV personalities running for office. When you demand sound bites that only exist to drives clicks, you get politicians who speak only in sound bites that drive clicks. When you substitute brand management over being a real human being, you get the ascent of brands over human beings.

    Trump is a brand, a logo, a simulacrum devoid of nuance and depth. Trump is a swindler offering empty anecdotes and meaningless solutions to nonexistent problems. And we love him for it.

    Follow John E. Price on Twitter: www.twitter.com/thejohnprice
    There is no spoon.

  30. #56
    There are animals that can survive in the sulfuric discharge of undersea volcanoes. It’s not the animals’ fault they can survive there and that they thrive in that environment—it’s evolution. Politics today is that sulfuric cloud and Trump is the apex invertebrate. The two sides not only understand each other, they need each other.
    The rub is, there aren't ten percent enough of those to put anyone over in the general election. So, now that they threw seventeen candidates at the typical Republican voter and got what they were after--a media clown that only five percent of the population can stand--they have to keep the great, silent majority from bolting the two-party system upon which they depend.

    In short, this election is at the core the nihilism of Hillary Clinton. She wants to be The First Female President so badly she is endangering the whole game which has kept The Powers That Be in power for decades.

    We will never have a better opportunity. And all because of the nihilism of Hillary. Looked at that way, nihilism doesn't look so bad...
    'I prefer someone who burns the flag and then wraps themselves up in the Constitution over someone who burns the Constitution and then wraps themselves up in the flag.'--Molly Ivins

    'Well, you can get no more liberty than you give.'--Will Rogers



  31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  32. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    Osan has way tooo much time on his hands. Posting gigantic walls of text that he claims to be facts as well. In reality, it's just his opinion. The word hypocrite comes to mind.
    If you have a problem with what I write, how about saying something? This is, IIRC, the first complaint I have ever gotten from you. I'd say you've been remiss in bringing what I am sure are my many shortcomings to light so that I might correct myself with some help.

    As for my "walls of text", if you don't like them, then don't read them. This is a simple thing. It isn't as if I jumped up on your breakfast table this morning, whipped it out and proceeded to piss in your cornflakes, did I?

    As for "hypocrite", perhaps a dictionary is in order... lessee...

    From Samuel Johnson's dictionary of 1785:

    HYPOCRITE. n.f. [hyocrite, French]

    I. A dissembler in morality or religion

    II. A dissembler.


    DISSEMBLER. n.f. [from dissemble.] A man who conceals his truedisposition.

    Given these definitions, I don't think I qualify despite the fact that we communicate by this remote mode through a mostly textual medium. At any rate, there is no intention to anything nefarious or otherwise dishonest, so the term actually does not apply. The way I take you to mean the word is apparently incorrect, even by more modern definitions. It appears we are most of us using this term incorrectly, which is news to me. I, for one, will try to be more careful in the future... but will also have to find the proper word to convey the idea I thought "hypocrite" conveyed. Learn something new every day.

    Finally, regarding "too much time on [my] hands": really? How would you know? Perhaps you also believe that I live in my mom's basement, as well? It is unclear to me why you appear to be taking this personally.
    Through lives and lives shalt thou pay, O' king.

    Freedom will be stolen from you in a heartbeat if you do not behave as a wild and ravening beast pursuant to its protection.

    "Government" is naught but a mental construct, a script to which people meekly accept and play out their assigned roles by those with no authority to dictate such.

    Pray for reset.


  33. #58
    Well, osan, of all the times I've seen you dissect and autopsy a piece of MSM opinion-presented-as-factual hype, that was probably the lease incisive. Which is what happens when one tries to be more accessible by way of being more colorful.

    But it's okay with me. I still love you. And I certainly don't think you were being hypocritical.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 05-08-2016 at 04:09 PM.
    'I prefer someone who burns the flag and then wraps themselves up in the Constitution over someone who burns the Constitution and then wraps themselves up in the flag.'--Molly Ivins

    'Well, you can get no more liberty than you give.'--Will Rogers

  34. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    If you have a problem with what I write, how about saying something? This is, IIRC, the first complaint I have ever gotten from you. I'd say you've been remiss in bringing what I am sure are my many shortcomings to light so that I might correct myself with some help.

    As for my "walls of text", if you don't like them, then don't read them. This is a simple thing. It isn't as if I jumped up on your breakfast table this morning, whipped it out and proceeded to piss in your cornflakes, did I?

    As for "hypocrite", perhaps a dictionary is in order... lessee...

    From Samuel Johnson's dictionary of 1785:

    HYPOCRITE. n.f. [hyocrite, French]

    I. A dissembler in morality or religion

    II. A dissembler.


    DISSEMBLER. n.f. [from dissemble.] A man who conceals his truedisposition.

    Given these definitions, I don't think I qualify despite the fact that we communicate by this remote mode through a mostly textual medium. At any rate, there is no intention to anything nefarious or otherwise dishonest, so the term actually does not apply. The way I take you to mean the word is apparently incorrect, even by more modern definitions. It appears we are most of us using this term incorrectly, which is news to me. I, for one, will try to be more careful in the future... but will also have to find the proper word to convey the idea I thought "hypocrite" conveyed. Learn something new every day.

    Finally, regarding "too much time on [my] hands": really? How would you know? Perhaps you also believe that I live in my mom's basement, as well? It is unclear to me why you appear to be taking this personally.
    I think the traditional usage is correct, and compatible with the definition you present. Someone who makes, or tries to make themselves appear to be something they are not. Pious hypocrisy is someone who pretends like they are free of sin and condemning others, while they themselves behave wickedly out of sight. Perhaps the 18th c Johnson take has the definition slightly broader than I customly apply. If we take this def literally, then a hungry homeless person may be called a hypocrite for hiding his poverty and hunger when he goes on a job interview. Knowing the medium it's also possible that this def would be longer and more precise if there were generally more space available in an 18th c paper dictionary.

  35. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    How's it working out with that mouse living in your pocket?
    Tickles. Better let it out.


    Ehh, he's using "nihilist" in the sense of simple "self destruction," which is really the stupid persons sense of the word, but it is not actually invalid.
    "Nihilism" appears to have undergone some heavy semantic ravaging over the past two centuries.

    That's just bog-standard "writing." Everyone who actually gets read punctates points with quips. As I recall, you are quite skilled at this.
    Well, you got me there. Touché.

    The Big6 Media is more of a business model than a political model. They provide what the masses demand.
    Sad.

    There may be just a touch of sophism, because he is largely implying that "people as brands" are devoid of depth, and this is largely true, but from that sweeping observation the author attempts to apply the characteristic to an individual, which is fallacious reasoning. I think the conclusion is correct despite the faulty thinking and fallacious argument, however I can clearly see what the author actually did wrong here. It's like a 3 or a 4 on a sin-scale of 10, and lol you went off like it was an 11:
    Fair enough. I made the same mistake I've called others to task on, that of responsibility for that which one thinks, etc., in that instead of getting bunched in the undies at the fools who put dinner on this nitwit "author's" plate by reading his ill-begotten, if in places true, fare. Perhaps I'm just being touchy today... had a death in the family yesterday morning, a child I helped raise... no excuses, mind you, but a possible reason. This loss is still sinking in a bit, so perhaps I was a bit edgy. I guess I will have to concede.


    Author is a bat$#@! libtard wingnut dingbat, but you know the old yarn about broken clocks and such.
    Indeed I do. On a similar account, I too have my moments... impossible as that seems to so many.
    Through lives and lives shalt thou pay, O' king.

    Freedom will be stolen from you in a heartbeat if you do not behave as a wild and ravening beast pursuant to its protection.

    "Government" is naught but a mental construct, a script to which people meekly accept and play out their assigned roles by those with no authority to dictate such.

    Pray for reset.


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •