Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California's smoking age raised from 18 to 21 under bills signed by Gov. Brown

California's smoking age raised from 18 to 21 under bills signed by Gov. Brown

California's smoking age raised from 18 to 21 under bills signed by Gov. Brown
    Smoking and vaping laws signed in California

Gov. Jerry Brown on Wednesday signed a pack of bills that will raise the smoking age in California from 18 to 21, restrict the use of electronic cigarettes in public places and expand no-smoking areas at public schools.
    Brown did not comment on the other bills that he signed, but state Sen. Ed Hernandez (D-West Covina) said approval of his bill raising the smoking age will save lives.

“The governor’s signature on Tobacco 21 is a signal that California presents a united front against Big Tobacco," Hernandez said in a statement. "Together, we stand to disrupt the chain of adolescent addiction."

The package of bills was touted as the “most expansive” effort to control tobacco use in the state in more than a decade. The bills were backed by a coalition of medical groups including the American Heart Assn, American Lung Assn., American Cancer Society and the California Medical Assn.
    “California took a step backwards today by reclassifying vapor products as tobacco,” the group said in a statement. “Stigmatizing vapor products, which contain no tobacco, and treating them the same as combustible tobacco while actively seeking to economically penalize smokers attempting to switch is counterproductive to public health.”
    Brown’s signature makes California the second state in the nation to raise the tobacco age to 21, following Hawaii. Hernandez authored the bill in an effort to reduce the number of young people who start smoking.
    Under other legislation signed by the governor, electronic cigarettes are considered to be tobacco products and cannot be used in restaurants, theaters, bars and other places where smoking has long been banned. They also cannot be marketed to minors.
    “The e-cigarette is nothing more than a new delivery system for toxic and addictive nicotine,” Leno said Wednesday. “Ensuring that e-cigarettes fall under California’s comprehensive smoke-free laws is critical to protecting public health, especially given the alarming rate at which young people are picking up these devices."
    Other measures signed by the governor will:

— Close loopholes in the ban on smoking in workplaces to include warehouses, gambling clubs, motel lobbies, covered parking lots and other public areas left out of the existing law.

— Expand the tobacco-free campus law to include more areas of charter schools and public school facilities and offices.

— Raise the licensing fee for tobacco retailers from a one-time $100 charge per location to $265 annually, and boost the annual fee for distributors and wholesalers from $1,000 to $1,200 to better cover the state’s enforcement costs.
    More: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-p...504-story.html
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Los Angeles, CA

Now young adults will smuggle cjgs to Cali from other neighboring states.

Quote Originally Posted by Chomp View Post
    Now young adults will smuggle cjgs to Cali from other neighboring states.
    nice for my business Thanks gov.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Los Angeles, CA

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    nice for my business Thanks gov.
    Now it will be as in NYC. Forget Hawaii, it is land in the ocean without bordering states where 18 or 19. Now adults 18+ will drive to Nevada, Oregon, and Arizona to buy smokes not by packs, but by whole cartons. The black market will jump in California as it is in NYC. Plus fake ID as it goes with alcohol.

Now it will be as in NYC. Forget Hawaii, it is land in the ocean without bordering states where 18 or 19. Now adults 18+ will drive to Nevada, Oregon, and Arizona to buy smokes not by packs, but by whole cartons. The black market will jump in California as it is in NYC. Plus fake ID as it goes with alcohol.
    How will they pay cops to strangle people for selling gray market products if folks are paying vice taxes to other states? It doesn't add up.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Los Angeles, CA

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    How will they pay cops to strangle people for selling gray market products if folks are paying vice taxes to other states? It doesn't add up.
    Welcome to a totalitarian state !

And by the flip of a pen, an ordinary person has been turned into a criminal. You cant make a group of people healthier by turning them into criminals for any unhealthy but victimless crimes. This isnt about health, its about control.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

California: 21+ to get cigs or vape, only 18+ for marijuana.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

so messed up wow steer them to get stoned....
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno

18-21 year olds need to be collectively saying you'll get our taxes when we get our full rights.

Escapism FTW!

I'd been smoking weed and tobacco, drinking shine too for several years before turned 18.........

Ate my first sugar cube at 12...

Los Angeles, CA

Next, they say to adults 18-20 to go to the back of the bus. But the elderly aged adults to be euthanized. The land of the slaves and a home of the cowards !

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I'd been smoking weed and tobacco, drinking shine too for several years before turned 18.........

Ate my first sugar cube at 12...

not everyone has the sense to regulate consumption as well as you do. but hey let them fry,I don't care just stop feeding them on my tax dollar and my hard work.

I am just saying these Regs are BS and also not all people that do drugs are lazy......
    James Madison

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I started paying taxes at 15 , graduated High School,joined the Army @ 17 , got to vote @ 18 , but I could buy cigarettes out of a vending machine .LOL

Los Angeles, CA

Because this generation of young adults are nothing, but cowards. Their predecessors of the past had courage to protest any forms of prejudice legislated by government. Today, our evil nation only can do is oppressing her citizens, whether things are being based on ages or Faith morals. And motivating radical thugs in other countries like Egypt, Syria, Ukraine to topple their leaders, because this evil Uncle Sam wants to rule the world. Sorry, my friends on this RP forum. It might be rude , but I have to tell the truth.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Because this generation of young adults are nothing, but cowards. Their predecessors of the past had courage to protest any forms of prejudice legislated by government. Today, our evil nation only can do is oppressing her citizens, whether things are being based on ages or Faith morals. And motivating radical thugs in other countries like Egypt, Syria, Ukraine to topple their leaders, because this evil Uncle Sam wants to rule the world. Sorry, my friends on this RP forum. It might be rude , but I have to tell the truth.
    This generation of young adults aren't the ones passing the laws. It's their predecessors, the ones that you are holding up on a pedestal that are the ones that are currently fking this country. Look in the mirror.
    A sense of danger gives birth to fear. And fear is the time-honored cross for the crucifixion of liberty.

Los Angeles, CA

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    This generation of young adults aren't the ones passing the laws. It's their predecessors, the ones that you are holding up on a pedestal that are the ones that are currently fking this country. Look in the mirror.
    Sadly, people forgot words of Thomas Jefferson and Patric Henry. " Give me liberty or give me death ! " Death seems to be better. Fortunately poverty is far best. Poverty always motivates the oppress to rise, when the economic and political hard times painfully hit the land.

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    It's the useless pieces of $#@! in my generation that have brought all of us to this point...

It's the useless pieces of $#@! in their generation that let the behavior continue.....

Los Angeles, CA

Some Americans started leaving the US looking for better places where more liberties still in place.

Some Americans started leaving the US looking for better places where more liberties still in place.
    Run, fight or submit..........

Burn one = 21
    Kill for my freedoms = 18

How do the motherfuckers have ANY credibility left? Oh yeah, guns, cages, and laws allowing them to subjugate us.

Turn out the lights, the party's over.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I started paying taxes at 15 , graduated High School,joined the Army @ 17 , got to vote @ 18 , but I could buy cigarettes out of a vending machine .LOL
    And they gave you a pack of matches in the bargain!

Los Angeles, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Slave Mentality View Post
    Burn one = 21
    Kill for my freedoms = 18

How do the motherfuckers have ANY credibility left? Oh yeah, guns, cages, and laws allowing them to subjugate us.

Turn out the lights, the party's over.
    \
    Kill for freedoms ? What freedoms ! ? Freedoms are dead. You now must die at war for Uncle Sam's hegemony and for your oppression at home. With our tyrants, drinking age will be 25 tomorrow. I am not kidding, my friend.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Los Angeles, CA

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    And they gave you a pack of matches in the bargain!
    Matches and lighters at 21, too. Bad days ! Energy drinks will be targets for 21.

I am now half tempted to try to convince California to outlaw Coffee for anyone under 21 also, being more morbidly curious just to see if they are $#@!ing stupid enough to do it...

Sadly, I think they probably would ban Coffee to under 21 also...
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    I am now half tempted to try to convince California to outlaw Coffee for anyone under 21 also, being more morbidly curious just to see if they are $#@!ing stupid enough to do it...

Caffeine is a stimulant, all stimulants are the same in the eyes of those looking to exercise control over others...

Speed kills.

Los Angeles, CA

No kidding, my friend. One time on the radio, I heard that coffee houses were targeted. Claims that teens and young ADULTS drinks strong coffees. And pushing hope for this over adult age 21. Same with energy drinks. No lies.

Energy drinks. 18-21 yr. olds would be rioting in the streets.

Los Angeles, CA

Adult Californians who live closer to NV, OR, and AZ borders will have no problems to go to buy smokes. Where I live, to drive to AZ closest place is 2 hrs as to drive to San Diego. The convenient stores, supermarkets, etc are going to be rich there on sigs sales on 18-20 years old Californians. There no border customs between states nationwide. Who does check adult New Yorkers as they use commuter trains to neighboring Long Island and Yonkers ? Are there SS cops who check all train commuters and motorists ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast