View Poll Results: What do you prefer to grill on?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gas

7 33.33%
  • Charcoal

10 47.62%
  • Other

4 19.05%

Thread: What do people here grill on?

What do people here grill on?

Charcoal, gas, or something else? I'm just curious. I tossed my gas grill because it was rusting out and I didn't feel like taking it apart and replacing the parts at some point. I was thinking about buying a charcoal grill instead. I've always liked food grilled over charcoal better. It's like a real Bar-B-Que. You know? With gas, it seems like you may as well be cooking indoors.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No gas here. Never even had one, lol. They surely serve a purpose namely convenience but I'll stick to charcoal and wood.
    "The Patriarch"

Propane is only for the kitchen range, the shop, and the Cajun cooker.
    I have a round Weber classic for grilling. If you get the chimney for starting coals, and you use lump instead of briquettes, then it's really not any more time than propane.
    Lump doesn't seem to burn as hot, which I like because with briquettes there always seems to be way too much heat and I end up cooking in a ring around the outside.
    With the chimney, you don't have to burn off a bunch of kerosene - you just start the coals and dump and cook. By the time you go in and get the meat ready, the coals are ready to rock.

I actually don't grill steak, though. I strictly pan-fry, and if you've ever heard people talk about there being a lot of smoke... they aren't kidding, it's a hell of a lot of smoke. Which is what the Cajun cooker is for. I put my big cast iron pan on the cooker outside and pan fry steaks that way.
    I can go either way on pork chops, too: either grilled on coals or pan fried.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

fire pit & wood , propane grill , charcoal grill and a smoker , so , four ways I guess .Based on amount of time , number of people etc

Hm. I'll have to check out the chimney. I've never used one. You're like a pro with this stuff, fisharmor. Heh.

When I was a kid we had one of those grills made out of bricks. And, then, pop sent me to drag wood to it. It was okay tasting but I like the charcoal better.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    fire pit & wood , propane grill , charcoal grill and a smoker , so , four ways I guess .Based on amount of time , number of people etc
    Oh yeah. Hm. I forgot about smokers. That's good stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Michael View Post
    Hm. I'll have to check out the chimney. I've never used one. You're like a pro with this stuff, fisharmor. Heh.

When I was a kid we had one of those grills made out of bricks. And, then, pop sent me to drag wood to it. It was okay tasting but I like the charcoal better.
    You should give wood another try, when it's done right you can't beat the flavor. It takes a little practice but it's not rocket science.
    "The Patriarch"

I use fruit tree wood chips in the smoker ( chicken quarters , wild turkey , salmon, mallards etc ) and hickory in the smokehouse ( deer hams ) .

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    You should give wood another try, when it's done right you can't beat the flavor. It takes a little practice but it's not rocket science.
    I know. Heh. It is good stuff on a wood fire. Thing is my dad always did the cooking on it so I never really paid attention to how he did it. It's one of the few things I never paid attention to with him. I know he had a big dang fire when he started it up, though. He was usually about half lit up himself with the Pabst or beast but it was sure enough right on the plate when all was said and done. I suppose it does take some practice with the wood. And, then, with different woods, too.

I know. Heh. It is good stuff on a wood fire. Thing is my dad always did the cooking on it so I never really paid attention to how he did it. It's one of the few things I never paid attention to with him. I know he had a big dang fire when he started it up, though. He was usually about half lit up himself with the Pabst or beast but it was sure enough right on the plate when all was said and done. I suppose it does take some practice with the wood. And, then, with different woods, too.
    Beer and BBQ, can't get any more American than that. That is meant as a compliment for a change. I've done my share of grilling half or fully lit, lol.
    "The Patriarch"

Beer and BBQ, can't get any more American than that. That is meant as a compliment for a change. I've done my share of grilling half or fully lit, lol.
    Eeeeeyep. I quit drinking a long time ago but I still think about throwing a few cold ones back now and again. But like what you're talking about here with Beer and BBQ. I used to travel a lot in my younger years and led a pretty worldly lifestyle with the booze. Living in and out of hotels and whatnot in a different city every other few days. That went on for years, man.

But you're right, a beer and a BBQ is something else entirely. I miss it.

We have a smoker we rarely use and big ass gas grill that I use about twice a week in the winter and almost daily in the summer. I hate heating up the house and it's convenient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Eeeeeyep. I quit drinking a long time ago but I still think about throwing a few cold ones back now and again. But like what you're talking about here with Beer and BBQ. I used to travel a lot in my younger years and led a pretty worldly lifestyle with the booze. Living in and out of hotels and whatnot in a different city every other few days. That went on for years, man.

But you're right, a beer and a BBQ is something else entirely. I miss it.
    I plan on doing my share this summer, out on the road. Concerts, camping and such. We haven't done squat for a few years, time to get back out there.
    "The Patriarch"

Charcoal. Weber Grill. Use a chimney. Anything from hotdogs to 12 hr. smoked pork butt. If you intend to make long cooks (like 12 hr. smoking a butt or the 3 hrs. for good ribs) use the Weber hinged cooking grate with side access.

I like the Master Touch series for ease of ash disposal and easy temp (air flow) adjust.

I've got a simple, no frills, clam shell weber.

I burn pretty much exclusively apple in it.

I polled "other" because I don't use "commercial charcoal".

Generally I start a fire with dry maple... then once its burning I add wet apple, then add meat.

Mist spray with water to maintain smoke and keep temps from rising too high.

If its a large roast... grill for 30-45 minutes over apple... then oven roast or crock pot indoors.
    Last edited by presence; 05-05-2016 at 01:03 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I like the Master Touch series for ease of ash disposal and easy temp (air flow) adjust.
    Yep, that's the guy. Although, don't forget about the veggies. We like to do skewered peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes, coated with olive oil and some salt and pepper.
    The onions always go on separate skewers because they take a long time at lower heat. I'd almost rather gorge myself on properly grilled onions, than the meat. Almost.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    I've got a simple, no frills, clam shell weber. I burn pretty much exclusively apple.

Apple is my favorite. I also like mesquite from time to time.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Yep, that's the guy. Although, don't forget about the veggies. We like to do skewered peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes, coated with olive oil and some salt and pepper.
    The onions always go on separate skewers because they take a long time at lower heat. I'd almost rather gorge myself on properly grilled onions, than the meat. Almost.
    Every time I walk past the skewered shish-kabobs at the grocery store where they have the meat and vegetables mixed on the skewer I want to just smack somebody.

I hit "other" 'cause I use both.........

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I hit "other" 'cause I use both.........
    YUP..

my choice is Fire.. by any means..

Exhaust manifold works in a pinch,, or traveling.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Another Weber man.

Not that I have the automatic ash dumping and the burled walnut handles and the sterling-plated lower vent control arm. No, I have an inherited 1966 Weber which still lets me control the fire perfectly, and is seasoned to a fare-thee-well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Another Weber man.

Not that I have the automatic ash dumping and the burled walnut handles and the sterling-plated lower vent control arm. No, I have an inherited 1966 Weber which still lets me control the fire perfectly, and is seasoned to a fare-thee-well.
    Frikken Luddites.

We have a gas grill that was a Father's Day gift about six years ago. Husband cooks on that.

I don't personally care what I cook on. I have a lot of scout experience and can cook something on any kind of fire.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi