Thread: Whatever Trump’s flaws, he’s got balls.

Exclamation Whatever Trump’s flaws, he’s got balls.

Eric has a point.

The Crush

http://ericpetersautos.com/2016/05/04/the-crush/

by eric • May 4, 2016

Hidden in VW’s announcement yesterday that it was “setting aside” nearly $9 billion to buy back – and destroy – about half a million diesel-powered cars convicted of “cheating” Uncle’s emissions tests was a statement by CEO Matthias Mueller that tells us how craven – and divorced from reality – car company CEOs are these days.

Mueller told reporters that VW will undergo a “wide-ranging transformation” that will end up with the company “focusing more” on “digital services” and “zero emissions” vehicles; that it would be sinking money into “mobility services” such as ride-sharing apps and car-sharing.

Because it looks like selling cars – economically and functionally viable cars – isn’t working much for them.

Well, it was.

But not anymore.

Because Uncle.

Instead of $22k TDI Jettas that can go 50-plus miles on a gallon of fuel, VW’s Matthias wants to “focus” on Germanic Teslas like the electric Golf – which costs almost $30,000 and goes maybe 70 miles on a full charge. VW can’t send me an eGolf to review because the thing can’t make it here in a single trip, in a single day.

Not unless it is carried here on a flatbed.

But the eGolf is “zero emissions” and that makes it politically appealing to politically correct CEOs like Mueller, whose “customer” is Uncle… not us.

If this weren’t the case, VW would be defending its excellent – and hugely popular – TDI-powered cars instead of crushing them. And not “focusing” on electrified idiocies such as the eGolf.

Mueller told reporters VW intends to “make electric cars one of (its) hallmarks” by 2020, by which time – less than four years from now – it plans to introduce 20 new electrified idiocies, notwithstanding the eGolf’s great success (not) and notwithstanding utterly absent market demand for cars that struggle to go anywhere and which need a very long umbilical cord to get there. And which also cost Ludicrous Sums of money and even then still can’t be sold at a profit without open-ended “help” from Uncle.

Reading between the lines – you can almost see the type – Matthias intends to ditch diesels (politically incorrect) in favor of … electric cars.

Because they are “clean” (and, of course, politically correct).

Whether they work being – apparently – beside the point.

It’s crazier than Nicholson in The Shining. The “cheating” TDIs about to be crushed – in what has got to be the most disgusting mass-display of wastefulness and stupidity outside of the Kasich for President campaign – would every one of them easily pass Uncle’ s circa 2000 (model year) emissions fatwas.

Were those cars “dirty”?

Really?

At the time, they were touted as exceptionally “clean.”

Which of course, they were.

Nothing produced since the late 1970s could accurately be described as “dirty.” Once new cars got smart catalytic converters (three-way, with oxygen sensors and the air-fuel ratio constantly fine-tuned by a computer and the fuel precisely metered by fuel injection) emissions became a non-issue, if the issue was air quality and so on.

And new cars have had all that since at least the late 1980s.

But emissions became a political issue – and the public (with the passive connivance of rollover CEOs like Mueller) has been gulled into believing that Great Work remains perpetually to be done (at whatever cost) to reduce emissions to nil.

Well, that’s been done – years ago.

Or damned close to it, anyhow.

As I’ve written about so many times in the past it is beginning to make my teeth ache, 95-plus percent of the exhaust stream of new cars is water vapor and carbon dioxide. Inert gasses that have nothing whatsoever to do with air pollution.

Cars are “clean.” Have been “clean”…. for decades.

This includes VW’s cars.

These agenda-dicks who “caught” VW “cheating” could do a public service by taking some of the “affected” TDI cars and seeing whether they meet Uncle’s standards circa 2000 or even 2005.

My bet is they would.

And if so, then their being tarred-and-feathered as “dirty” is disgustingly dishonest. Remember: Half a million owners of perfectly sound cars are going to be pressured to hand them over to be destroyed over a fractional difference in emissions output that absolutely no one can point to any actual harm resulting from.

Why isn’t anyone – Herr Mueller? – asking about that… ?

What harm has been caused by a TDI-powered VW car “emitting” – says Uncle – “up to 40 times” (but probably a lot less than) a third of a percent more of whatever Uncle has his panties in a bunch about? Define the thing, dammit. Show me a victim before you crucify me.

Or throw away half a million perfectly good cars and flush almost $9 billion dollars down the got-damned toilet.

No wonder Trump is surging.

When the ship is sinking, you grab whatever you can to stay afloat.

Whatever Trump’s flaws, he’s got balls.

Too bad Herr Mueller lacks them.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Posted at EPAutos by me.

I own a 2013 Jetta wagon TDI, bought back in 2013, and my purchase was partly based on the recommendations from this site, that I happen to agree with, and still do.

The car has functioned well, has given great performance, delivered a rock steady mid 40 mpg (50+ is possible with a very delicate foot on the throttle) and has been relatively trouble free.

I do not WANT to take part in this orgy of Uncle mandated waste.

But it appears I will have no choice in the matter, as I am sure any "refuseniks" that tried to hold onto their VW TDIs will be the subject of another decree stating they will no longer be able to obtain the required government permission slips to operate the cars on the roads.

So, combined with the recent government fatwas directed at the energy industry that are going to decimate that sector, this will make three times in my life I have been put out of business by government decree, and now I will have a car stolen from me that I freely bought, enjoyed and was happy driving, by government dictate.

And if I wanted to exercise my "free speech rights" to say what I think should happen to the happy government $#@!s responsible for this, I would quickly be hauled off to prison, in the Land of the Free.

$#@! this place, $#@! what it has become and $#@! and damn the people who did it.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 05-05-2016 at 04:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

$#@! this place, $#@! what it has become and $#@! and damn the people who did it.
    Reported...

I agree that the TDI is a fantastically clean and economical vehicle. In fact I'm thinking of getting one before they crush them (about as stupid an idea as the cash for clunkers). But really, after reading all this, how does it have ANYTHING to do with Trump?? Is trump trying to stop all this madness??
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Wrecking new cars in name of the environment is the BIGGEST MOTHERFUCKING HYPOCRISY THERE IS.

It costs (very much generalized but not less true) about as much energy to BUILD a car as a car CONSUMES in it's entire lifetime...

The upshot is that – despite common claims to contrary – the embodied emissions of a car typically rival the exhaust pipe emissions over its entire lifetime. Indeed, for each mile driven, the emissions from the manufacture of a top-of-the-range Land Rover Discovery that ends up being scrapped after 100,000 miles may be as much as four times higher than the tailpipe emissions of a Citroen C1.

With this in mind, unless you do very high mileage or have a real gas-guzzler, it generally makes sense to keep your old car for as long as it is reliable – and to look after it carefully to extend its life as long as possible. If you make a car last to 200,000 miles rather than 100,000, then the emissions for each mile the car does in its lifetime may drop by as much as 50%, as a result of getting more distance out of the initial manufacturing emissions.
    http://www.theguardian.com/environme...tprint-new-car

P.S. This stuff is really pissing me off as I am in favor of a clean environment... But damn the atmosphere in global discussions about the environment is rather toxic. Facts aren't important anymore. Just opinions and financial interests.
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 05-05-2016 at 03:38 AM.
    "I am a bird"

Our air in the western world is SUPER clean. I remember the air in the 60's and we had quite a bit of smog back then even though there were maybe 1/10th the vehicles on the road. Today I'm in China (been here every year since 94) and if any of these "environmental fulcks" ever come here they would see what REAL pollution is... And even here with the dirty air guess what?? Life goes on, birds sing, doggies bark and children sing. No, this is not to say that it's cool to live in pollution but the effects are greatly exaggerated. Life will be shorter (by whatever percentage - lets guess 10%). Life is also BETTER due to the economy making everyone richer. If you ask most Chinese whether they want the super clean air and have NO jobs, they will choose to deal with the pollution.

You can't run away from the FACT that PEOPLE, by reason of existing, create some level of pollution. The only REAL answer is everyone commit suicide and that will stop the pollution (after the initial damage caused by all our decaying bodies).

Clean energy?? There's NO such thing. Solar? Takes manufacturing to create the cells. Wind?? Same thing. Nuclear?? I don't even want to think about the filth...

THIS ONE

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    You can't run away from the FACT that PEOPLE, by reason of existing, create some level of pollution. The only REAL answer is everyone commit suicide and that will stop the pollution (after the initial damage caused by all our decaying bodies).
    That is the idea and the ultimate end game of the tyrants that rule us.

I agree that the TDI is a fantastically clean and economical vehicle. In fact I'm thinking of getting one before they crush them (about as stupid an idea as the cash for clunkers). But really, after reading all this, how does it have ANYTHING to do with Trump?? Is trump trying to stop all this madness??
    This issue is very important to me and I plead guilty to lifting the Trump quote from the article to use as "clickbait".

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This issue is very important to me and I plead guilty to lifting the Trump quote from the article to use as "clickbait".
    My advice to you is to hold onto that great car and don't let the goons get it ever. I would lock it away if necessary and maybe do some "illegal" thing like getting a wrecked car that's a gas engine and changing over the title to the good diesel car. I could get away with this in Mississippi as we don't have emissions testing here...

THIS ONE

My advice to you is to hold onto that great car and don't let the goons get it ever. I would lock it away if necessary and maybe do some "illegal" thing like getting a wrecked car that's a gas engine and changing over the title to the good diesel car. I could get away with this in Mississippi as we don't have emissions testing here...
    Not that easy in NH with emissions inspections.

Not that easy anywhere, really.

If Uncle issues the proper fatwa, the surveillance grid is tight enough now there will be no possible work around.

Other than keeping it as a static museum display piece.

I don't get it. I thought it was just a software change that was needed.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Yeah in DC...

The last time they bumped up the emissions standards here in NY one of my cars would not pass. You could not smell anything and the exhaust was clear. It was my backup car, I did not have the time to figure it out on my own and every mechanic was "we don't know" by the hour which could run into allot of money.

What really pisses me off is I see so many people driving around with a cloud of smoke behind them getting new inspection stickers. I guess I did not have the right mechanic connections or want to be bothered bribing anyone for a sticker. So I just sold it and so regret it, but I had too much going on to deal with it. Bastards!
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

No.

That was not allowed by our leaders and rulers when proposed.

The only solution acceptable to Uncle was hanging horse piss exhaust sprayers on every one, which would have cost more in installation costs and lawsuits than just buying them up and destroying half a million good cars.

The software is reporting false emission data and the emission won't be fixed with a change in software.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    The software is reporting false emission data and the emission won't be fixed with a change in software.
    I had originally thought that the software didn't make the emissions standards kick in at higher speeds and that a software fix would take care of it. Is this not correct, or did I just get it wrong?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    No, it did not report false info, it de-rated and de-tuned the engine when it detected that it was being tested, thus giving true lower readings.

Used to do the same thing years ago with "analog" engines just prior to inspection...advance the timing and lean out the carb until it was just barely running.

But the under performance would be noticeable and result in even more emissions due to the engine having to work harder to perform any work.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 05-05-2016 at 11:47 AM.

No, it did not report false info, it de-rated and de-tuned the engine when it detected that it was being tested, thus giving true lower readings.

Used to do the same thing years ago with "analog" engines just prior to inspection...advance the timing and lean out the carb until it was just barely running.

But the under performance would be noticeable and result in even more emissions due to the engine having to work harder to perform any work.

But this COULD be done. Change the software to make the car always drive in the de-tuned mode. You would get lousy gas mileage but at least you could keep your car. In fact, you could swap out your engine control module for the test and put back the good one after the test...

THIS ONE

But this COULD be done. Change the software to make the car always drive in the de-tuned mode. You would get lousy gas mileage but at least you could keep your car. In fact, you could swap out your engine control module for the test and put back the good one after the test...
    That's precisely why Uncle will issue a fatwa saying that no state shall be permitted to register a VW TDI.