Thread: Libertarian candidate poll

Libertarian candidate poll

A site called the Libertarian future has conducted 6 polls over the nomination process so far. Over time Gary Johnson has plummeted and is in a tie with Austin Petersen who is rapidly rising. John McAfee has also gained momentum and support.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Interesting. I'm thinking McAfee is going to do the best going the distance, he will continue to rise as more people learn about his campaign.
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Interesting. I'm thinking McAfee is going to do the best going the distance, he will continue to rise as more people learn about his campaign.
    This is true. Even in 3rd place he still has a really good chance as the Libertarian nomination is chosen by delegates. I believe most of them are unbound/undecided at the moment as well.

It would be really stand up of Peterson to give McAfee the nod this time around, McAfee has already said Peterson should get it in 2020. It is clear to me that McAfee is the only one who can get the mainstream media attention this time around, and let's be honest, that's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by afwjam View Post
    It would be really stand up of Peterson to give McAfee the nod this time around, McAfee has already said Peterson should get it in 2020. It is clear to me that McAfee is the only one who can get the mainstream media attention this time around, and let's be honest, that's all that matters.
    I agree, but you have to remember that his campaign is fully funded by grassroots and he has made around $60,000 I believe. It would kind of be a stab in the back to his supporters if he didn't stick it out till the convention.

I would like to see him as McAfee's VP honestly. I know he already picked Weiss but I am not sure how that will work out as the delegates also choose the VP, not the nominee. A McAfee/AP ticket is still possible, and optimum in my opinion.

Your right, that would be a stab in the back. Mcafee/AP ticket would be fine by me.

Hate to say it, but the LP ought to draft Ron Paul. He has name recognition, relevant experience, and proven integrity.

With all of that, the Libertarian Party could do well. As in unprecedented, extraordinarily, magnum opus well.

2016 is just shaping up to be that kind of year. All that is needed is for the party to get the attention it deserves. And Ron Paul could accomplish that like no other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Hate to say it, but the LP ought to draft Ron Paul. He has name recognition, relevant experience, and proven integrity.

With all of that, the Libertarian Party could do well. As in unprecedented, extraordinarily, magnum opus well.

2016 is just shaping up to be that kind of year. All that is needed is for the party to get the attention it deserves. And Ron Paul could accomplish that like no other.
    I wish, but I'm pretty sure Ron Paul is finished with politics.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by afwjam View Post
    I wish, but I'm pretty sure Ron Paul is finished with politics.
    Yes. Or, at least, I'm sure he sincerely believes so. But if drafted, will he not run?

I think the theory should be tested.
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Im game as long as McAfee is the backup plan. I really want someone people can get excited about, the BS is to heavy this season.

McAfee has astonishing name recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    McAfee has astonishing name recognition.
    Yes, yes he does. But he leans toward the clown in some ways. And the field is very heavy with clowns this year. For once, being a clown is not the way to stand out.

He also lacks relevant experience, and that will weigh heavy with many voters. Johnson is better in that respect, but worse in others.

The nation needs a decent Libertarian Party choice this year, and the Libertarian Party needs someone like Ron Paul. I feel they must risk Ron Paul refusing, even if it does seem like a no confidence vote to the candidates they have. There is too much which could be gained if Ron Paul bowed to the pressure and allowed his hat to be thrown in the ring for him.

And he might. After all, he did not promise not to run for a third party. He hasn't done that for four years now.

Yes. Or, at least, I'm sure he sincerely believes so. But if drafted, will he not run?

I think the theory should be tested.
    Its entirely possible if enough delegates were to write in his name. If we could find a way to contact them it might work.

I agree, Ron Paul would be the best, if he would have ran libertarian in 2012 after it became obvious he would not win would have been amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by younglibertarian View Post
    Its entirely possible if enough delegates were to write in his name. If we could find a way to contact them it might work.

I agree, Ron Paul would be the best, if he would have ran libertarian in 2012 after it became obvious he would not win would have been amazing.
    He could not. He had promised not to.

But as I say, he hasn't made that pledge lately. And honestly, the situation is much more favorable today than it was four years ago. For example, neither major party was running a full-on clown four years ago. Nor was either running an outright criminal.

Now both are. That makes a difference.

He could not. He had promised not to.

But as I say, he hasn't made that pledge lately. And honestly, the situation is much more favorable today than it was four years ago. For example, neither major party was running a full-on clown four years ago. Nor was either running an outright criminal.

Now both are. That makes a difference.
    Ah you are right I forgot about that.

Any ideas on getting Ron's Name thrown in the pot? Could some of us become delegates? How can we contact delegates? Maybe I should start a new thread?

Ron is 80 guys. He's busy enough with his tv show and podcasts. Plus, let him enjoy his retirement.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sujan View Post
    Ron is 80 guys. He's busy enough with his tv show and podcasts. Plus, let him enjoy his retirement.
    Is it possible for a good man to enjoy doing nothing while evil flourishes? Especially if he is uniquely positioned and equipped to do something about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sujan View Post

I'm not questioning the work of the Ron Paul Liberty Report or Institute, but don't you think a presidential bid (even if unsuccessful) would be far more effective at spreading the liberty message?

Heck he wouldn't even hardly have to campaign.

Yes, yes he does. But he leans toward the clown in some ways. And the field is very heavy with clowns this year. For once, being a clown is not the way to stand out.

He also lacks relevant experience, and that will weigh heavy with many voters. Johnson is better in that respect, but worse in others.

The nation needs a decent Libertarian Party choice this year, and the Libertarian Party needs someone like Ron Paul. I feel they must risk Ron Paul refusing, even if it does seem like a no confidence vote to the candidates they have. There is too much which could be gained if Ron Paul bowed to the pressure and allowed his hat to be thrown in the ring for him.

And he might. After all, he did not promise not to run for a third party. He hasn't done that for four years now.
    Contrariwise, I think clowning is the only real way to compete this cycle.

The LP would be fools not to nominate Johnson now. Trump just won the nomination. A huge and unprecedented portion of the GOP hates him. Johnson was a successful governor with real name recognition. The rest of the candidates are nobodies. With so many disafected GOP voters looking for a protest candidate the LP could break 5% and get matching funds. It could be a game changer for them. It's time for them to stop the circular firing squad and step up to be a real party.

That said, I'll vote for whoever they nominate as long as it's not some wacko for legal child molesting or something.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    The LP would be fools not to nominate Johnson now. Trump just won the nomination. A huge and unprecedented portion of the GOP hates him. Johnson was a successful governor with real name recognition. The rest of the candidates are nobodies. With so many disafected GOP voters looking for a protest candidate the LP could break 5% and get matching funds. It could be a game changer for them. It's time for them to stop the circular firing squad and step up to be a real party.

That said, I'll vote for whoever they nominate as long as it's not some wacko for legal child molesting or something.
    Yep. There are lots of writers and GOP bloggers who are itching for an alternative right now. They're not as influential as say, Hannity, but people read their blogs and many of them have day jobs as businessmen and attorneys and they have lots of disposable income, to say nothing of the Koch brothers (for better or worse). I won't put it past the National Review to endorse Johnson over Trump.

Petersen lacks name recognition, and MacAfee is too much of gadfry.

I respectfully understand why associating with such people would turn your stomach. But understand opportunities like to gain inroads in American political mainstream DO NOT COME ALONG EVERY FOUR YEARS. If we pass this opportunity by, Senator Sasse might get the aforementioned support, 25% of the general electorate vote (or more) and become reap of the benefits of being the kingmaker.

Is it possible for a good man to enjoy doing nothing while evil flourishes? Especially if he is uniquely positioned and equipped to do something about it?
    Ask yourself that when you're 80. Seriously, he's too old to run for Prez, it takes too much work, travel etc..
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Ask yourself that when you're 80. Seriously, he's too old to run for Prez, it takes too much work, travel etc..
    Yep. The man has done enough. Let him be to do things he wants to do. As it is, we're Ron Paul now.

I would like to see a library of sorts around here dedicated to his works and thoughts on things, though. There is much here as it is but it's just so fragmented and lost.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 05-03-2016 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by younglibertarian View Post
    I'm not questioning the work of the Ron Paul Liberty Report or Institute, but don't you think a presidential bid (even if unsuccessful) would be far more effective at spreading the liberty message?

Heck he wouldn't even hardly have to campaign.
    Of course he would. Hillary is much better known than he is by the general public. As is Trump.
    "The Patriarch"

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Michael View Post
    Yep. The man has done enough. Let him be to do things he wants to do. As it is, we're Ron Paul now.
    Ron Paul has done what probably nobody else could have, now it's up to the rest of us to make sure it wasn't in vain.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Ron Paul has done what probably nobody else could have, now it's up to the rest of us to make sure it wasn't in vain.
    Yep. He sure has. We're lucky to see a Ron Paul come along every century or so. It'll get worse before it gets better, though, as far as the rest of us go. And that'll have to run its course, too. Which I suppose you know. Seems like a lot of us carry a compass pointing in a different direction depending on any given specific thing. Will have to work that out if we don't want to keep leading ourselves in circles. Some feelings will get hurt along the way. Some busted pride maybe. Is what it is. Going to have to suck it up and work around it.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 05-04-2016 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Contrariwise, I think clowning is the only real way to compete this cycle.