Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: **OFFICIAL 2016 NFL SEASON THREAD**

**OFFICIAL 2016 NFL SEASON THREAD**

Post your thoughts on the 2016 NFL season - this thread will run past the Super Bowl. [mod edit]
    Last edited by cajuncocoa; 08-26-2016 at 09:10 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Cowboys first pick, #4 overall Ezekiel Elliott:

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

That kid has game , I kind of liked him even though I always root against the Buckeyes , until I saw that .

The Titans picked up some size and speed, for sure. They picked up a top notch offensive tack, defensive tackle, linebacker, safety, and the Heisman Trophy winner, Derrick Henry. They all sound like stand up guys.
    Last edited by euphemia; 05-01-2016 at 09:21 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

The Titans traded the #1 pick, and subsequent maneuvering from that got them 10 picks this year, and 2 extra next year.

Titans coach Mike Mularkey called DeMarco Murray shortly after the team drafter Heisman Trophy winner Derrick Henry in the second round. Coach told the veteran, "You're still going to be the guy who carries the load for us." There won't be drop off when you come out.
    The Derrick Henry pick was a big ??, because they already got DeMarco Murray in the offseason. But I get why they picked him. None of the runners on the team from last year were very consistent. I still thought they should have picked Ohio St. WR Tyler Boyd in that spot. The rest of the group looks good. Conklin will be a week 1 starter, and Dodd will be in the rotation on defense. The new GM has a scouting background, and many of the later round picks were drafted based on their projected year 2 value.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Other than the Vikings , I think the Titans and Jags did well.

LOL I like this guy Sebastian Tretola:

On Marcus Mariota winning the Heisman Trophy instead of him: “I’ll talk to him about it when I get there. I was definitely robbed. And I definitely have some concerns to address with him about that.”

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Other than the Vikings , I think the Titans and Jags did well.
    Yeah, the Jags did really well, and the guys they picked in previous drafts are starting to get better. It's going to suck playing them 2 times a year.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    //
    Last edited by cajuncocoa; 08-26-2016 at 09:10 PM.

I was really hoping Dallas would pick up a high quality QB to groom to be Romo's eventual (I shed a single manly tear...) replacement.

They tried (Paxton Lynch), but didn't get it.

We'll see how Prescott does....

...probably just a backup (Hey, can't be worse than Weeden...can he?)

RB for first pick?

Jerry Jerry, why?! There's nothing wrong with the RB position. You can run a monkey through that. It's all about Romo and the Great Wall.

...which is why I was happy to see a high pick go to an OLB. That was a good call.

The real need though (other than QB for the future) was D, on all fronts. And they did get a lot of them, so we'll see if that pays off.

Final thought: "Crop Top" had better be the second coming of Emmitt Smith, for what he cost. And get a damn shirt!

Yeah, they did one for every team:
    http://uproxx.com/sports/nfl-game-of-thrones-logos/

//
    Last edited by cajuncocoa; 08-26-2016 at 09:09 PM.

//
    Last edited by cajuncocoa; 08-26-2016 at 09:08 PM.

Panthers -Super Bowl bound, again
    No - No - No - No

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    I was really hoping Dallas would pick up a high quality QB to groom to be Romo's eventual (I shed a single manly tear...) replacement.

They tried (Paxton Lynch), but didn't get it.

We'll see how Prescott does....

...probably just a backup (Hey, can't be worse than Weeden...can he?)

RB for first pick?

Jerry Jerry, why?! There's nothing wrong with the RB position. You can run a monkey through that. It's all about Romo and the Great Wall.

...which is why I was happy to see a high pick go to an OLB. That was a good call.

The real need though (other than QB for the future) was D, on all fronts. And they did get a lot of them, so we'll see if that pays off.

Final thought: "Crop Top" had better be the second coming of Emmitt Smith, for what he cost. And get a damn shirt!
    I haven't followed pro ball since Marino was the man for the Dolphins, nor was I a fan of the Cowboys. But, I think a lot of people are going to be very surprised at Dak Prescott. I am a Miss State fan, and know his career pretty well. When you look at his college numbers, and all the records he set, keep one thing in mind. He did that while running for his life, as the O line was atrocious. His senior year he did it with no line, and no running game to keep defenses honest. And in the SEC West.

He'll need a couple of seasons to mature some more, learn schemes, and get used to the pace of the pros, but he is one of the most studious players anyone has ever seen (he lived in the film room and ran extra team practices), a natural leader, honestly a great kid, and that SOB is TOUGH. And I mean TOUGH. Both physically and mentally. With someone like Romo to learn from, a (what looks to be being built at Dallas) solid run game, and an offensive line that actually blocks, he could very well show why a lot of people from the SEC are talking about what a gold mine pick he was for the Cowboys.

It's not guaranteed, but he could very well turn into a guy who can tote the load for them.
    Last edited by Intoxiklown; 05-27-2016 at 04:42 AM.
    "Self conquest is the greatest of all victories." - Plato

DALLAS JOFFREYS: An overinflated sense of entitlement and a massive ego. Joffrey thinks Joffrey is the greatest, but really everyone just hates him.
    I appreciate that the author, even though not a fan, had the good sense to put Dallas first on his list, where we obviously belong..

Quote Originally Posted by Intoxiklown View Post
    I haven't followed pro ball since Marino was the man for the Dolphins, nor was I a fan of the Cowboys. But, I think a lot of people are going to be very surprised at Dak Prescott. I am a Miss State fan, and know his career pretty well. When you look at his college numbers, and all the records he set, keep one thing in mind. He did that while running for his life, as the O line was atrocious. His senior year he did it with no line, and no running game to keep defenses honest. And in the SEC West.

He'll need a couple of seasons to mature some more, learn schemes, and get used to the pace of the pros, but he is one of the most studious players anyone has ever seen (he lived in the film room and ran extra team practices), a natural leader, honestly a great kid, and that SOB is TOUGH. And I mean TOUGH. Both physically and mentally. With someone like Romo to learn from, a (what looks to be being built at Dallas) solid run game, and an offensive line that actually blocks, he could very well show why a lot of people from the SEC are talking about what a gold mine pick he was for the Cowboys.

It's not guaranteed, but he could very well turn into a guy who can tote the load for them.
    I like that he "lived in the film room." So did/does Romo.

We'll see, hope you're right.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

They're saying he's OK but damn he only played 3 snaps:
    Tony Romo fine despite leaving with back injury after third play

I know they keep giving him massive contract extensions, but at some point, quality of life after football has to be a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post
    Panthers -Super Bowl bound, again
    I doubt it . Probably Vikings or Packers .

I'm gonna stick this here for those of you who want to watch football but don't want to pay for cable.

How to Stream Live NFL Football Games This Season
    By Thorin Klosowski
    Life Hacker
    August 26, 2016

The NFL regular season will kick off in a few weeks, and if you don’t want to mess with rabbit ears, cable subscriptions, and regional blackouts, that means it’s time to look into your streaming options. Like previous years, it’s a mess.

This year, Twitter is getting into the streaming video mix with Thursday night streams, DirecTV’s NFL Sunday Ticket is expanding its availability to more people, and PlayStation Vue and Sling TV are adding NFL Network. Which is all to say: streaming NFL games is somehow more complicated than previous years, even though it looks like you have more options.

As always, you can get the majority of in-market games from CBS, Fox, and NBC with a good antenna, but that can be unpredictable and still requires a TV, instead of giving you the freedom to watch on any screen you like. Let’s run down your other options.

Twitter Will Stream 10 Thursday Night Games

Earlier this year, Twitter purchased the streaming rights to 10 Thursday Night Football games. Alongside Twitter’s online stream, CBS, NBC, or the NFL Network will broadcast these games on cable and over-the-air:

Week 2, Sept. 15: New York Jets at Buffalo Bills
    Week 3, Sept. 22: Houston Texans at New England Patriots
    Week 5, Oct. 6: Arizona Cardinals at San Francisco 49ers
    Week 6, Oct. 13: Denver Broncos at San Diego Chargers
    Week 7, Oct. 20: Chicago Bears at Green Bay Packers
    Week 11, Nov. 17: New Orleans Saints at Carolina Panthers
    Week 13, Dec. 1: Dallas Cowboys at Minnesota Vikings
    Week 14, Dec. 8: Oakland Raiders at Kansas City Chiefs
    Week 15, Dec. 15: Los Angeles Rams at Seattle Seahawks
    Week 16, Dec. 22: New York Giants at Philadelphia Eagles
    At this point, it’s still not clear exactly how these streams will work, though we can safely assume that Twitter’s NFL landing page will walk you through the process once the season starts. Twitter will also have pre-game Periscope broadcasts and in-game highlights. You won’t need a Twitter account to view the feed, and the NFL Network will broadcast all the games not included in the Twitter deal.

Sling TV and PlayStation Vue Have Most Over-the-Air Games

Cable-cutters have two main options to stream live TV: PlayStation Vue andSling TV. Both will give you access to NFL games this season. PlayStation Vue is $30-$40/month depending on your region and has apps for PS3, PS4, and most other set-top boxes. You can also access PlayStation Vue on Android and iOS, though the mobile apps require a TV-connected device like a Roku or PlayStation. Sling TV, on the other hand, is $40/month and has apps for most set-top boxes, Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, and Xbox One.

Unfortunately, channel availability complicates things a bit. Plus, even though they’re streaming video services, both are still susceptible to regional blackouts, so you’ll only get the same games as your local over-the-air networks, which sucks.

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2016/08/...hor/cut-cable/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

i see Cajun deleted numerous posts yesterday...wonder if this was in relation to the Seahawks killing Dallas and putting Romo on the bench by Avril...?

c'mon Cajun, it was only a pre-season game....................but i enjoyed it...

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post

I know they keep giving him massive contract extensions, but at some point, quality of life after football has to be a factor.
    He has played before with a similar injury, but 9/11 seems a bit optimistic:
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...oken-bone-back

Local media is cautiously optimistic about our Titans. It appears the extra size and speed they picked up in the draft, and some later acquisitions have been helpful. The mentality seems different, and I think the players and coaching staff will drag upper management kicking and screaming into a winning mode.

As much as I think of Derrick Henry, I was a little concerned that the Titans were giving up on their investment in the passing game. I think the partnership of Henry and Mariota has veen very effective so far, and perhaps the running game will set up the passing game.
    #NashvilleStrong

Why did Cajun leave?
    I am the spoon.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Local media is cautiously optimistic about our Titans. It appears the extra size and speed they picked up in the draft, and some later acquisitions have been helpful. The mentality seems different, and I think the players and coaching staff will drag upper management kicking and screaming into a winning mode.

As much as I think of Derrick Henry, I was a little concerned that the Titans were giving up on their investment in the passing game. I think the partnership of Henry and Mariota has veen very effective so far, and perhaps the running game will set up the passing game.
    Henry came in before halftime so he could play some with the 1st team O line. They haven't had a legit runner since Chris Johnson's 2nd year, now they have 2. Both Henry and Murray can catch as well, and have similar running styles. The fullback Fowler was Henry's blocker when they were both at Alabama, so they have some chemistry. Mariota is very good at misdirection, and they all seem on the same page.

The biggest surprise so far has been #19 Tajae Sharpe. He was 4th or 5th round and is going to be the #1 WR. They got 2 good vets in Harry Douglas and now Andre Johnson. Rishard Matthews they got from the Dolphins looks OK. Kendall Wright could have a better year, but he keeps getting hamstring injuries. Justin Hunter might get cut, and they already shipped DGB to the Eagles. Craig Stevens just retired though, he was the #1 blocking TE.

The mentality is a lot different this year. The ownership and GM situation is much better. Amy Adams Strunk bought a house in Green Hills, the new GM is from Union City. They are both more involved than in seasons past. A lot of the coaching staff came out of the old Steelers system, they are building it like the playoff/SB teams from the late 90's.

I feel hopeful about them. They have good men playing for them and have played well so far tonight.
    #NashvilleStrong

This was a designed fake, it kept the first defender from committing to the tackle:

https://twitter.com/TLambertFB/statu...96601153609729

https://twitter.com/JoshNorris/statu...88618151608320

Vikings look good so far .

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post

I think he needs to seriously consider retiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    I think he needs to seriously consider retiring.
    They are now saying he will be out 6-10 weeks, so will probably be out of playoff contention by the time he gets back.

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast