Thread: 'It makes me sick,' police chief says of officer accused in shakedown

'It makes me sick,' police chief says of officer accused in shakedown

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/2-investig...sick/247258317

Apr 28, 2016

CLAYTON COUNTY, Ga. —
    A Clayton County Police officer is off the force after Channel 2 Action News played a recording for the police chief, who said the shakedown it depicts turns his stomach.

A husband and wife said they secretly recorded the officer, and Channel 2 Investigative Reporter Mark Winne obtained the recording.

Mike and Michelle Pierce never thought they’d need to record a police officer. They’ve had little experience with law enforcement. They’re grandparents, and together they run a thrift and salvage business in Griffin.

But before their ordeal ended, they’d get a voice identified as that of Officer Grant Kidd on audio saying, “You pay a thousand dollars up front and then the rest of it you pay after it go [sic] away.”

The bizarre story started when the Pierces decided to buy, at auction, a Toyota Corolla that had been locked up in a Clayton County storage unit where somebody stopped paying the bill.

The Corolla was a good deal, $1,700. But Mike Pierce said he’d found good deals this way before.

“I've bought dump trucks for $2,000 doing the same thing,” Pierce said.

But it turns out the Toyota was a stolen vehicle.

The Pierces said they didn’t know until after they paid for the car and their tow truck driver checked out the car’s vehicle identification number. They said they immediately contacted the Clayton County Police about it and handed the car over.

Three days later, the police mistakenly released it back to them. When a detective told them that was a mistake, the Pierces cooperated as police impounded the car again.

But that was nothing compared to what happened next.

“They arrested us in our store in the middle of the day,” said Michael Pierce.

“We didn't know why. They just threw the cuffs on me and put me in the back of the car,” Michelle Pierce cried as she told Winne. “That was the worst thing.”

Then their story took another strange twist.

As the Pierces faced theft charges for a crime they didn’t commit, they learned a police officer, Grant Kidd, wanted to talk with them.

By this time, the Pierces were out of jail on bond, but nervous about meeting Kidd. He had no official connection to their case.

“We didn't want to talk to him because he was a Clayton County officer and we’ve already been arrested for no reason,” Michael Pierce said. “We were scared to (and) scared not to, so we talked about it at the kitchen table with my kids, and my kids said we’d go meet and talk to him, but they were going to film it…to cover our butts in case we got arrested again.”

The Pierces said Officer Kidd tried to shake them down for money to make the charges go away.

You can hear the voice on the audio making an apparent money-back guarantee: “We ain’t had nothing yet that didn’t go away. If it don’t go away, if it go into the grand jury (inaudible) you get your money back.”

Mike Pierce said Kidd suggested he had someone inside the District Attorney’s Office who could get the case “administratively dismissed” for a price.

Again, the audio recording tells the story. “You'll never see him. He (inaudible) actually works with the DA in the office.” Mr. Pierce asked, “And we won’t get in trouble for bribing?” “No,” the voice identified as Kidd replied. “You ain’t never going to talk to him.”

“It’s unbelievable,” said attorney Lee Sexton, who represented the Pierces in the criminal case.

The charges against Michael and Michelle Pierce were dismissed, but the investigation into Officer Grant Kidd was just beginning.

Sexton Told Winne he immediately contacted Clayton County District Attorney Tracy Lawson.

“I have to give credit to her office. They did a very thorough, intensive investigation into not just the allegations the police made against my client, but the allegations that I was making against the people prosecuting the client,” Sexton said.

D.A. Lawson told Winne, “We immediately turned it over to the FBI.”

Lawson said she doesn’t really believe Kidd had anyone working inside her office, but said, “I would make sure that any employee of mine that took a bribe would get the maximum sentence.”

Winne took the audio of Kidd to Clayton County Police Chief Michael Register.

“Any conceivable reason he could be saying that?” Winne asked. “No,” said the chief. “It certainly is a conversation from my standpoint that just turns your stomach.”

The chief said when he learned of this, he immediately called Kidd in to revoke his official powers, but in the midst of that, Kidd quit.

He added he wishes someone would have told him about the allegations sooner.

Winne tried to reach Kidd by phone, through a lawyer, even went to his home several times, but Kidd never talked to Winne.

As for the Pierces, they’ve hired a civil attorney and filed a lawsuit.

“Instances such as this undermine public trust and confidence in our judicial system,” said attorney Darryl Scott. “Their sense of security has been violated, and they did exactly what they were supposed to do by contacting law enforcement and it backfired.”

The chief said that, outside of Kidd, the case was handled properly.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Such bull$#@!.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Such bull$#@!.
    I know right? The officer was obviously trying to help them by keeping them out of court and look what's happened to him. No good deed goes unpunished.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I know right? The officer was obviously trying to help them by keeping them out of court and look what's happened to him. No good deed goes unpunished.
    Its disgusting, I know. Fortunately, this wouldnt happen in the vast majority of police departments. Most departments treat their Officers much better than this.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Hopefully he finds employment at another PD.
    - Kim Kardashian

Thank God for Police Unions. Without them our heroes would never get a fair shake.

I don't know, he was lying about the DA office. "Lawson said she doesn’t really believe Kidd had anyone working inside her office"
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I don't know, he was lying about the DA office. "Lawson said she doesn’t really believe Kidd had anyone working inside her office"
    He was allegedly lying. Until its proven in a court of law he is innocent. This is one of the few perks officers are allowed, for their hard work and sacrifices.

And would you really trust a woman's opinion on that anyway?
    - Kim Kardashian

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The PD should hire mafiosi. They're better at this sort of thing than cops. This shakedown could've been done much quicker by pros.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

He was allegedly lying. Until its proven in a court of law he is innocent. This is one of the few perks officers are allowed, for their hard work and sacrifices.

That's pretty harsh.

I would have said that he was "unsubstantiatedly fibbing."

I don't trust her opinion, but I would never doubt the integrity of a DA's office.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

“Instances such as this undermine public trust and confidence in our judicial system,”

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.