Thread: Hostess stuff back on shelves

Hostess stuff back on shelves

Son, whose young eyes can't find his dirty socks managed to spy boxes of Twinkies and Ding-Dongs during our store run a few days ago...

Anybody have the scoop what's going on with Hostess?

A few years ago I remember they went belly-up and my google-fu hasn't been productive...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mr Animal brought some Twinkies last week. I haven't had one since I was a kid and now I remember why. It tasted like sugar and bug spray. Seriously, my teenage boys wouldn't even eat them. Mr A ended up taking them to work. What a waste of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Mr Animal brought some Twinkies last week. I haven't had one since I was a kid and now I remember why. It tasted like sugar and bug spray. Seriously, my teenage boys wouldn't even eat them. Mr A ended up taking them to work. What a waste of money.
    I let son have a box of the dark colored wax coated hockey pucks but I haven't had any........

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I let son have a box of the dark colored wax coated hockey pucks but I haven't had any........
    Mr A also bought some of those cupcakes but I didn't try one of those. It took two whole cups of Franzia to wash the Twinkie taste out of my mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

The company died, the brands still live on.

"Hostess, Inc" became "Old HB, Inc" in bankruptcy proceedings, which is dead, bankrupt, liquidated. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_HB

the brands and assets were distributed like this:

Sold to Apollo and Metropoulos

In January 2013, a joint venture by Apollo Global Management and C. Dean Metropoulos and Company became the leading bidder to purchase Dolly Madison and the Hostess brand of snacks.[57] Silver Point Capital, Grupo Bimbo and Hurst Capital also placed bids for both brands.[54][55][58][69] On March 12, Apollo and Metropoulos won the bid to buy the brands from Hostess for $410 million.[70] The deal was approved by a bankruptcy court, and C. Dean Metropoulos and Company principal Daren Metropoulos announced that Hostess products would be sold again on July 15.[71]
    Sold to Bimbo Bakeries USA

Bimbo Bakeries USA outbid Flowers Foods for the rights to Beefsteak on February 28, 2013,[72][73] and the deal was approved by a bankruptcy court on March 20.[74] In August, the trademarks of J. J. Nissen and the web domain jjnissenbreads.com were transferred to Bimbo Bakeries,[75] which later purchased other regional Hostess bread brands: Colombo, Cotton's, Emperor Norton, Fisherman's Wharf, Parisian and Toscana.
    Sold to Flowers Foods

In January 2013 it was announced that Flowers Foods had offered to buy six of Hostess' bread brands, including Wonder Bread. The deal, initially structured at $360 million, involved 20 bakeries and 38 depots.[76] Flowers Foods won the bid to purchase five of the six bread brands (except Beefsteak, purchased by Grupo Bimbo) on February 28.[72] The deal went through a bankruptcy court in March and was completed on July 22, 2013.[77][78] The five brands are Butternut Bread, Home Pride, Merita Breads, Nature's Pride and Wonder Bread.[51]
    Sold to Lewis Brothers Bakeries

The rights to the following Hostess brands were sold to Lewis Brothers Bakeries in December 2013:[79]

• Blue Ribbon
    • Braun's
    • Bread du Jour
    • Continental
    • Countess
    • County Fair
    • D'Agostino's
    • Daffodil Farm
    • Di Carlo
    • Millbrook
    • Nancy Martin
    • Old World
    • Ozark Mill
    • Pantry Pride
    • Sap's
    • Weber's

Sold to McKee Foods

McKee Foods, owner of Hostess competitor Little Debbie, purchased the Drake's snack cakes on March 14, 2013 for $27.5 million.[63][80] After the deal passed a bankruptcy court, McKee began selling the snacks on September 23.[81]
    Sold to United States Bakery

United States Bakery won the auction for four northwestern Hostess bakeries on March 15, 2013 for a reported $30.85 million,[62][82] and the deal was approved by a bankruptcy court that month. The brands were Eddy's, Grandma Emile's, Standish Farms and Sweetheart Bakery.[62] As of December 2015, the rights to the Baker's Inn and Dutch Hearth brands remain unsold.[83][84]

so...

Twinkies now come from Apollo (subsidiary named "Hostess, LLC", not to be confused with "Hostess, Inc")
    your Wonderbread is now from Flowers Foods,
    Eddy's comes from US Bakery,
    Drakes Cakes is now McKee Foods

etc.
    Last edited by presence; 04-29-2016 at 09:23 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Hostess Twinkie and double chocolate Donette junkie here. They've been back for some time here.

Still no SusieQs back yet though.

I bet you're well preserved.

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I bet you're well preserved.

Yep, between Hostess and Coca Cola addiction, I figure I must be durned near immortal by now.

LOL!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I call bull$#@! on that time lapse. I've never gotten a tomato to go unmolded for 20 days.

Also, I had totally forgotten Hostess went belly up. Shows you how important it was to me.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I call bull$#@! on that time lapse. I've never gotten a tomato to go unmolded for 20 days.

Also, I had totally forgotten Hostess went belly up. Shows you how important it was to me.
    Screw the tomato. How about that Twinkie? No change at all.