Thread: Kerry expresses reservations about all-volunteer U.S. military

Kerry expresses reservations about all-volunteer U.S. military

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said on Wednesday he feels all Americans should find a way to serve their country, suggesting the need for a renewal in public service that could also affect the military.

"I have deep reservations about just an all-volunteer military," Kerry said at a forum on the Vietnam War at the University of Texas in Austin.

"There should be shared responsibility among all Americans," he said. "I think that is one of the best ways you don’t have wars."

Kerry also said numerous deployments overseas under the current system placed enormous burdens on military families.

"Every American ought to find a way to serve, somehow. It doesn’t have to be in the military. I like the idea that everybody ought to give back something," he said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKCN0XP080
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    These people have lost their mind.

"There should be shared responsibility among all Americans," he said. "I think that is one of the best ways you don’t have wars."

lol is he Phuckin' serious?
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

It is public service when you do it voluntarily. When you are forced to do it, it is slavery; you $#@!.

Quote Originally Posted by ZENemy View Post

Unfortunately Yes. He is serious,, and he is also dishonest.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

"I think that is one of the best ways you don’t have wars."
    He may have a point. If there was a draft, there might be more protests and less armchair warriors...especially after all of these never-ending wars.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

When the Congress Critters and President themselves lead troops into battle I will support a draft...
    "I know the urge to arm yourself, because that’s what I did. I was trained in firearms. When I walked to the hospital when my husband was sick, I carried a concealed weapon. I made the determination that if somebody was going to try to take me out I was going to take them with me."

Diane Feinstein, 1995

Probably just too many in the current army are figuring out that war is just a racket.

What a change from when he was protesting war and the military back during Vietnam. HOw unsurprising. Those in power want more of it. What better way than to subject every American to even further brainwashing through "basic training"?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Drafting people is how you end up with duds like Kerry , so if I was a General , I would be opposed.

Quote Originally Posted by ZENemy View Post
    These people have lost their mind.

Of course he is. But the only way to not have wars is to make sure that congressmen and families are first in line.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Of course he is. But the only way to not have wars is to make sure that congressmen and families are first in line.
    Too true!

Im not a fan of Micheal Moore but his segment were he asked congressmen to sign their kids up for military service really makes your point.
    "One thing my years in Washington taught me is that most politicians are followers, not leaders. Therefore we should not waste time and resources trying to educate politicians. Politicians will not support individual liberty and limited government unless and until they are forced to do so by the people," says Ron Paul."

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    It is public service when you do it voluntarily. When you are forced to do it, it is slavery; you $#@!.
    Exactly!
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.