Thread: Defense bill would require women to register for draft

Defense bill would require women to register for draft

Women would have to register for the draft under an amendment added to an annual defense bill Wednesday.

“If we want equality in this country, if we want women to be treated precisely like men are treated and that they should not be discriminated against, then we should support a universal conscription,” Rep. Jackie Speier (D-Calif.) said.

The House Armed Services Committee voted 32-30 to include the amendment in the 2017 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA).

Congress has been debating what to do about the draft since Defense Secretary Ash Carter opened up all combat jobs to women late last year.
    In 1981, the Supreme Court ruled that women did not have to register for the draft because combat jobs were closed to them.

With that reason now moot, some lawmakers have argued women should now register. Others want women to remain exempt, while still others say this is the opportune time to abolish the draft altogether.

As originally drafted, the NDAA would have asked the Pentagon to conduct a study on the matter and would not have taken a position.

Rep. Mac Thornberry (R-Texas), chairman of the committee, said he believes Congress needs answers on the benefits of and alternatives to the current draft system before making a decision.

But Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.), who is opposed to women in combat and in the draft, offered the amendment to force discussion on the issue. He introduced a standalone bill earlier this year for the same reason.

“The draft is there to get more people to rip the enemy’s throats out,” said Hunter, who voted against his own amendment. “I don’t want to see my daughters put in a place where they have to get drafted.”

Both “coffeehouse liberals in San Francisco” and “conservative families who pray three times a day” oppose including women in the draft, he added.

Speier took issue with the idea that liberals don’t support women registering for the draft.

“While you could be offering this as a gotcha amendment, I would suggest that there’s great merit in recognizing that each of us have an obligation to be willing to serve our country in time of war,” she said.

Rep. Chris Gibson (R-N.Y.) added that if women were drafted, they wouldn’t be forced into jobs that they aren’t equipped to do.

“What we have right now is standards-based,” he said. “The fact of the matter is, if we need hundreds of thousands of folks to serve, that hasn’t changed any reality of if it’s going to be standards-based of who’s going to be in the infantry and who might be supporting.”

Rep. Mike Coffman (R-Colo.), who introduced a bill in the House to abolish the draft, continued to support that position, saying many Americans of draft age are ineligible for service and that families of influence tend to be able to avoid the draft in wartime.

“If we look at Iraq and Afghanistan, in the height of the conflicts, there was never a discussion in the Department of Defense to resort to conscription,” he said. “I think the selective service is unnecessary.”
    http://thehill.com/policy/defense/27...ster-for-draft
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Duncan Hunter- who wrote the bill- says he does not want it to pass but intended it to stir discussion about women in the military (ex-marine who served in Iraq in 2003 and 2004).

Doubtful any good comes of anything , but I guess one could hope the draft would be done away with all together.

There shouldn't be one woman anywhere near a combat zone as long as we have plenty of able body neocon "men" screaming for war on the home front.

If I were 90 years old and in a wheel chair, I would rather go to the front lines than send any woman in my family. A country that values it's women so little that they send them off to fight wars for the elite, won't stand for long.

And just to add, I don't think any boys should die in any of these recent wars either.

House Speaker Paul Ryan Thursday called for a congressional re-examination of the draft, following a committee vote to advance a measure that would require women to register for the Selective Service.

"We need to take a comprehensive look at the entire Selective Service process," Ryan, R-Wis., said when asked about the provision to draft women into the military. "And we shouldn't just deal with one issue at a time."

Late Wednesday, the House Armed Services Committee voted 32-30 to amend the National Defense Authorization Act with language requiring women to register for the Selective Service.

The proposal was introduced by Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Calif., a former Marine who said he pitched the amendment to force Congress to discuss the whether women should serve on the front lines in the military.

Hunter, who does not believe women should register for the draft, voted against the amendment.

Under current law, "almost all male U.S. citizens and male immigrants, who are 18 through 25, are required to register with Selective Service." The last draft, however, occurred more than 40 years ago during the Vietnam War.

The entire NDAA measure passed by a vote of 60-2 early Thursday morning.

Ryan announced Thursday he'll move the legislation to the floor for a vote, which means it is likely to pass the House with the Hunter amendment included.

"We have to bring NDAA to the floor," Ryan said. "Not doing NDAA is not an option."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ry...rticle/2589830
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-21-2016 at 10:58 PM.

No civilized society puts women in combat.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

This, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    There shouldn't be one woman anywhere near a combat zone as long as we have plenty of able body neocon "men" screaming for war on the home front.

If I were 90 years old and in a wheel chair, I would rather go to the front lines than send any woman in my family. A country that values it's women so little that they send them off to fight wars for the elite, won't stand for long.

And just to add, I don't think any boys should die in any of these recent wars either.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    People should not be drafted, sex be damned.

If by chance there was ever a just war I like to think families would decide amongst themselves who would fight on their behalf.

The idea that a bunch of stuffed shirts can conscribe your child to die on their behalf doesn't float.

Last draft in this country was in 1972.

There was a bill introduced earlier this year that would abolish the Selective Service System
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...Service-System

H.R. 4523 cosponsors:

Rep Chaffetz, Jason [UT-3] - 2/24/2016
    Rep Coffman, Mike [CO-6] (introduced 2/10/2016)
    Rep DeFazio, Peter A. [OR-4] - 2/10/2016
    Rep DeSaulnier, Mark [CA-11] - 4/14/2016
    Rep Polis, Jared [CO-2] - 2/10/2016
    Rep Rohrabacher, Dana [CA-48] - 2/10/2016
    Rep Upton, Fred [MI-6] - 4/15/2016

Citizens are a disposable resource to the status quo when their power is threatened by those citizens.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

... wrote the bill- says he does not want it to pass but intended it to ...
    What a mess - putting something in that can't be fixed now? I call it political BS.

Reminds me of Ron Paul putting in pork for his constituency and then voting
    against it knowing it would pass anyhow. The ONE thing Dr. No would do that
    really disappointed me. (Ron Paul still earns a 99% perfect record in my book.)

Duncan Hunter- who wrote the bill- says he does not want it to pass but,,,,,
    Then he should not have proposed it. Period.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

I remember.
    I was early Volunteer Army. Enlisted in 74. started active early 75. was at Ft Polk when we left Nam.

I remember that many have wished to reinstate the draft over the years since.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

We all need to contact our Congressmen and Senators, and tell those pieces of $#@! to leave the girls alone. This is sick. Plus rep for the names of those who voted for this damnable amendment.
    Last edited by William Tell; 04-29-2016 at 05:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    We all need to contact our Congressmen and Senators, and tell those pieces of $#@! to leave the girls alone. This is sick. Plus rep for the names of those who voted for this damnable amendment.
    Text of amendment:
    http://docs.house.gov/meetings/AS/AS...8-Amdt-224.pdf

Roll call vote:
    http://docs.house.gov/meetings/AS/AS...0-20160427.pdf

Unfortunately, Walter Jones voted for it.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Well $#@!, I don't want my son forced into a position where he has to rip out throats or have his ripped out either. So GFY.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to specsaregood again.
    Last edited by Cissy; 05-01-2016 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Then he should not have proposed it. Period.
    Classic backpedaling. "Oh I really didn't want it to pass, but if it had...."

Any change that makes it less likely that the draft will be used is a positive change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    Any change that makes it less likely that the draft will be used is a positive change.
    The strongest opposition to wars came when there was a draft and people's sons and daughters may be sent off to fight. With a volunteer army, people don't care as much. Not having a draft makes wars easier.

The strongest opposition to wars came when there was a draft and people's sons and daughters may be sent off to fight. With a volunteer army, people don't care as much. Not having a draft makes wars easier.
    So are you supportive of a draft?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Wars? No, unless in self defense. Draft? If it makes war less likely, yes. But again, we have not had one since 1972 so it is unlikely we will return to one anytime soon. I had to register. People don't care if they don't have skin in the game.

Which is really not that long ago. The veterans that haven't died or gone crazy are plentiful, as are those who bought their way out of the line. There were many more who weren't drafted, but joined because of the threat hanging over their heads. Join early and you might get in good enough with the military not to be sent to the worst spots. It shows a naive faith in humanity in hindsight, but it also made the draft look smaller.

Likewise, there's no draft now, but there was the scholarship scam. People I went to school with were quick to point out we "haven't had a big war in a long time" and took the scholarship money to get a cheap/free education that looked great on a resume. Their timing was largely decent, since most of them would have been close to finishing by the time 2001 rolled around, but those just a year or two behind would also find that education came with a really high cost.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wars? No, unless in self defense. Draft? If it makes war less likely, yes. But again, we have not had one since 1972 so it is unlikely we will return to one anytime soon. I had to register. People don't care if they don't have skin in the game.
    So you are supportive of a draft, I see.
    Last edited by Danke; 05-01-2016 at 12:56 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Draft is by definition war. You are forcing people to do something against their will otherwise. That is war.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

People don't care if they don't have skin in the game.
    What game?
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    What game?
    Figure of speech of course. If people share the costs of something, they tend to demand (or tolerate) less of it than if it costs them nothing.

True of most things. Take healthcare for example. If you have insurance, you may pay little to no money out of pocket to go see the doctor. That can lead you to going to the doctor even when you did not need to. You get an expensive prescription medicine when a cheap over the counter remedy might have worked just fine. Why not? It didn't cost you anything (at least not directly- people don't connect that to the insurance premiums they or their employer pay for them). That means higher demand for medical services which leads to higher costs paid for healthcare due to the over- use.

If there is a draft and people don't want their sons or daughters to go to war, they will be more opposed to starting a war in the first place and want to end it sooner. If the army is volunteer- who cares if we go to war? Those people wanted to join up.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 05-01-2016 at 06:59 PM.

If there is a draft and people don't want their sons or daughters to go to war, they will be more opposed to starting a war in the first place and want to end it sooner.
    Wrong..

There was a draft because no one was volunteering..

People of the North opposed Lincolns war on the South.. So they were drafted..

People opposed US involvement in the First World War.. Wilson Drafted them,,, and violently opposed anti-war protests. And that after being elected to keep us out of Europe's war.

Keep it up Zippy.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom