Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trump the Popular Bigot. Is Bigotry and Racism back in Style?

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordan View Post
    Bro. It's a post about the misuse of the word Bigotry.
    What is your idea of the proper use of the word? It may be that you're the one misusing it.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    This is a great example of what they call projecting.

cognitive dissonance is strong with this one...
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
    - Mark Twain

"I'm Ron Paul, I'm a Congressman from Texas serving in my tenth term, I am the champion of the Constitution." 05/03/07 - revolution restarts

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Hey don't call me a progressive, I am a Ron Paul republican.
    I didn't call you a progressive, I said you AND the progs are trying to blame Trump for the insane notions that people are concocting about his plans. And you are. And it's asinine.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post

I SWAG, that looks just about right.

How, exactly, did they get this data?

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    How, exactly, did they get this data?
    Google search which doesn't mean $#@!. It doesn't say who is using it or what their intent for searching the N word is.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulMall View Post
    Trump is not really "anti-immigrant". In his 2013 CPAC speech Trump specifically mentioned how ridiculous it was that high quality Canadian and European immigrants are put on waiting lists forever. The mothers of four of his five children are immigrants. Trump is very much pro-immigration. What separates him from the Establishment is that Trump believes we should have an immigration system that benefits Americans while the Establishment believes in one that benefits corporations and the rest of the world.
    Okay just anti "undesireable" immigrant. Close enough to the same thing. I don't think someone is anti immigrant just because their oppose illegal immigration, but Trumps rhetoric is way over the top. I will agree immigration policy needs to be reformed but a wall or a ban list of people based on their religion is just nuts.

[IMG]

Does this mean that Google is somewhat racist by extension since this graph is a representation of their users' activity? What is Google doing to attract this user base?

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordan View Post
    I think people are too stubborn to face reality. People are starting to realize that Trump isn't a racist or a bigot...He's a stone cold realist who isn't afraid to say what he thinks. And there lies his appeal. We live in a world dominated by PC culture. Where people think one thing, and say another for fear of social exclusion. This PC culture must be resisted, and there is only one candidate who is calling out PC bs for the farce that it is. And that is why this "bigot" is so popular.
    And that "bigot" is so popular because he has become the most vocal critic of these "liberal" SWCs:

Obama took a veiled shot at Trump over his comments about Muslims
    Business Insider-Apr 22, 2016
    In an interview with the German newspaper Bild, President Barack Obama took a veiled shot at Donald Trump's rhetoric aimed at Muslims.

Hillary Clinton Wears Hijab In Latest Campaign Ad…

Really, a google search of the word '******' to determine racism? You realize that there are probably more rap songs with the word in the lyrics than there are white people who use it. It's more likely that people are on google trying to find the lyrics to 'that song they heard on the radio' than an indication of racism, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Really, a google search of the word '******' to determine racism? You realize that there are probably more rap songs with the word in the lyrics than there are white people who use it. It's more likely that people are on google trying to find the lyrics to 'that song they heard on the radio' than an indication of racism, lol.
    They did attempt to disambiguate, and admit their study is not a perfect indicator:
    For the PLOS ONE paper, researchers looked at searches containing the N-word. People search frequently for it, roughly as often as searches for "migraine(s)," "economist," "sweater," "Daily Show," and "Lakers." (The authors attempted to control for variants of the N-word not necessarily intended as pejoratives, excluding the "a" version of the word that analysis revealed was often used "in different contexts compared to searches of the term ending in '-er'.")
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ing-to-google/

Original source:
    http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...0122963.ref001

They did attempt to disambiguate, and admit their study is not a perfect indicator:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ing-to-google/

Original source:
    http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...0122963.ref001
    Why attempt to gauge racism by looking at google searches of a single word? What about black racism? Blacks are FAR more racist than whites on the whole. Somehow I doubt they'll try to gauge that.

Why attempt to gauge racism by looking at google searches of a single word? What about black racism? Blacks are FAR more racist than whites on the whole. Somehow I doubt they'll try to gauge that.
    They were building on a study involving black mortality rates:
    In this study, we examined a previously developed Internet-based measure of “area racism” that did not rely on the provision of responses to survey questions and is less susceptible to social desirability bias; it may also more directly assess racial attitudes in a geographic area [23]. This measure, calculated based on Internet search queries containing the “N-word”, was strongly associated with the differential in 2008 votes for Barack Obama, the Black Democratic presidential candidate, vs. 2004 votes for John Kerry, the White Democratic presidential candidate. Studies have found that Internet searches on other subjects, including religiosity and firearms, reflect socio-demographic characteristics of the underlying population [24, 25]. For example, the percent of a state’s residents believing in God explains 65% of the variation in search volume for the word “God” [23]. Internet queries of health conditions have also been used for disease surveillance, including influenza outbreaks, and have been found to be a stronger predictor than pharmacy records [26, 27]. Socially unacceptable attitudes or actions may also be less likely to be censored on the Internet given perceptions of anonymity, and may in fact serve as an outlet for unpopular beliefs.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I don't think that Trump is a racist, but he clearly is happy for to get racists' votes.
    Stop believing stupid things

I didn't call you a progressive, I said you AND the progs are trying to blame Trump for the insane notions that people are concocting about his plans. And you are. And it's asinine.
    His actual plans (or at least his statements thereabout, I don't think he has any plans, like a goldfish) are genuinely insane.

Like, for instance, deporting 10+ million people at a cost of hundreds of billions of dollars and mass civil unrest only to let 99% of them back in.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    You realize that there are probably more rap songs with the word in the lyrics
    That's spelled with an "a."

In short, regardless of what Trump has actually said (or not said), people feel more comfortable being racist in an open, proud way than I've seen before. It's also an extension of decades of fighting racism by pointing the finger at other races, which is a bit like bombing to promote peace. It's not an encouraging trend to me. It's not Trump's fault, either. It's the inevitable result of what's been going on over the years coupled with a perceived positive connotation to "telling it like it is" on one side and becoming part of a "movement" on the other end of the spectrum. Then you have others saying the way to fight all of this is to make safe spaces and avoid certain pronouns, and to impose tolerance on the rest of the nation at whatever cost --- in dollars and dignity.

God help us all.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    In short, regardless of what Trump has actually said (or not said), people feel more comfortable being racist in an open, proud way than I've seen before.
    That's because, whatever Trump's own views on race (I assume they're quite mainstream, in a NYC context), he has intentionally exploited latent racist/nationalist sentiments in the GOP (fueled by the left's overreach on racial issues in recent decades) to drive his otherwise laughable presidential ambitions (or, assuming he's not totally delusional, self-promotional ambitions).
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 05-02-2016 at 08:19 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic