Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 50 year study on spanking

50 year study on spanking

Funny how it works in my house....

From Drudge;

50-Year Study Finds Spanking Doesn’t Work

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2016/...g-doesnt-work/

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — To spank, or not to spank?

It’s an issue that’s long plagued parents, but new research being called the most comprehensive analysis on spanking says it doesn’t work.

Researchers from the University of Texas at Austin and University of Michigan looked at 75 studies involving more than 150,000 children over 50 years. They found that children who were spanked were more likely to defy their parents.

Family discussions about discipline can often leave a house divided.

“We talk to them, we try to figure out this is what we need to do and this is what we should do. We don’t do the whole spanking thing,” said Jennifer Jarvis.

She says just talking about it is enough to bring her daughter to tears.

“I’m not even mad or angry and look, she’s about to cry,” she said.

Other families believe it can be an effective punishment technique. With seven kids, Carolyn Tevis’ mother was often alone and outnumbered.

“She would always say ‘wait till your daddy gets home.’ That’s how we were raised. And my dad did spank us. But not abuse us,” she said.

Now, a five-decade study published in the Journal of Family Psychology reveals spanking doesn’t make kids behave better right away, and it often leads to worse behavior in the long run.

Researchers also found children who are spanked are more likely to be aggressive and antisocial.

But many parents we spoke to like Ericka Sexton disagree, saying a little tough love teaches some valuable life lessons.

“I think we need more spankings because they did better. Kids respected elders back then, now it’s a little bit different,” she said.

Researchers did point out that the effectiveness of spanking ultimately depends on the individual child.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Compared to what?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I thought this was a study about Congress.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

And switching to water boarding is not a good option either.

Stefan Molyneux points out how a childhood history of getting spanked
    and/or having crappy parent(s) is tied to and explains most of the
    psychopaths running around trying to control other people's lives
    or exhibiting other "MSM news worthy" dark, edgy behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by FindLiberty View Post

Stefan Molyneux points out how a childhood history of getting spanked
    and/or having crappy parent(s) is tied to and explains most of the
    psychopaths running around trying to control other people's lives
    or exhibiting other "MSM news worthy" dark, edgy behavior.

This guy is an excellent example of how to create a cult following using the internet.

From Drudge;

50-Year Study Finds Spanking Doesn’t Work

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2016/...g-doesnt-work/

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — To spank, or not to spank?

It’s an issue that’s long plagued parents,
    No, It has only relatively recently begun to "plague parents", but only the parents who are laser focused on raising other people's children.

I'll just drop this right here:

http://www.christiandomesticdiscipline.com/

But it's OK when Christians do it....

There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    I thought this was a study about Congress.
    I thought it was about Ted Cruz - but then I remembered that Donald Trump is a non-spanker.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    No, It has only relatively recently begun to "plague parents", but only the parents who are laser focused on raising other people's children.
    I'm more concerned about the other people I'm living with in society. It's not a bad idea to change people's attitudes for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post

So, when did you stop waterboarding and/or spanking your children?

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I'm more concerned about the other people I'm living with in society. It's not a bad idea to change people's attitudes for the better.
    Some of us have been trying, your obnoxious children running around feeling self entitled sniveling about microagressions and safe spaces could have all been cured of their piss-poor attitudes with a tad more butt warming and a lot less blather in their younger years...

Now they're voting.

Some of us have been trying, your obnoxious children running around feeling self entitled sniveling about microagressions and safe spaces could have all been cured of their piss-poor attitudes with a tad more butt warming and a lot less blather in their younger years...

Now they're voting.
    You blame it on not spanking, I blame it on single mother households which are MUCH more common than non-spanking households - also note that more children are physically, emotionally and verbally abused by women than by men.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    You blame it on not spanking, I blame it on single mother households which are MUCH more common than non-spanking households - also note that more children are physically, emotionally and verbally abused by women than by men.
    I've found single mothers to be more prone to spanking or any other type of physical violence than a household where both natural parents are in-situ..

My son's almost 12, going on 25, and I haven't spanked him since he was 2, haven't needed to.

But he knows it's not off the table if he $#@!s up royally...

His mother, who I avoid like the plague, doesn't spank but she grabs and jerks him by his wrists or screams-n-hollers, guilt-trips and any number of untold subtle manipulations that I wholeheartedly disagree with...

I speak calmly and rationally to son, it's when I stop talking that he gets worried, funny thing is he and I can discuss anything in complete honesty whereas his non-spanking, politically correct mother and he co-exist in an adversarial relationship...

Maybe it's conceit but as he grows and starts to mature we get closer in spite of the fact that he knows I'll whup his ass if it's necessary and he pushes his mother away...

If your child was 6' 8" and weighed 300 lbs., how would you choose to discipline him/her?

50 years? Give me a break.

Just gotta be a gubmnt financed study.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    If your child was 6' 8" and weighed 300 lbs., how would you choose to discipline him/her?
    With a big $#@!ing stick.

Not disciplining isn't an option.

With a big $#@!ing stick.

Not disciplining isn't an option.
    And after they take your big $#@!ing stick away from you.

Intelligent non-violent disciplining is the most obvious option.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've found single mothers to be more prone to spanking or any other type of physical violence than a household where both natural parents are in-situ..

My son's almost 12, going on 25, and I haven't spanked him since he was 2, haven't needed to.

But he knows it's not off the table if he $#@!s up royally...

His mother, who I avoid like the plague, doesn't spank but she grabs and jerks him by his wrists or screams-n-hollers, guilt-trips and any number of untold subtle manipulations that I wholeheartedly disagree with...

I speak calmly and rationally to son, it's when I stop talking that he gets worried, funny thing is he and I can discuss anything in complete honesty whereas his non-spanking, politically correct mother and he co-exist in an adversarial relationship...

Maybe it's conceit but as he grows and starts to mature we get closer in spite of the fact that he knows I'll whup his ass if it's necessary and he pushes his mother away...
    Therein lies the rub. Even studies that claim spanking works admit that it has to be applied consistently and rationally. There are plenty of studies "proving" correlation between spanking or not spanking to this, that, and the other thing-but all methods only work when applied in a way that works on specific kids. I've known kids that can take a whoopin' and keep on being brats who go on to be horrible adults. $#@! happens.

ETA: A totally anecdotal example...one of my uncles was a constant sass-talker and brat. My gramma would slap him so hard he fell on the ground, but that never changed him. He's still a smartmouth. And my favorite uncle.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 04-27-2016 at 03:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

And after they take your big $#@!ing stick away from you.

Intelligent non-violent disciplining is the most obvious option.
    You deal with your kids your way and I'll deal with mine my way.

I sincerely hope I never have to whip his ass but I certainly will if it's necessary.

I sincerely hope I never have to whip his ass but I certainly will if it's necessary.
    I did, and they are now all happy, healthy productive adults.

Does that discipline style have a long and valued tradition in your family?

BTW, I was spanked too growing up, till I wouldn't let my mother do it any more.

That is the answer--let parents raise their children the way they see fit.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    There lies the rub. Even studies that claim spanking works admit that it has to be applied consistently and rationally. There are plenty of studies "proving" correlation between spanking or not spanking to this, that, and the other thing-but all methods only work when applied in a way that works on specific kids. I've known kids that can take a whoopin' and keep on being brats who go on to be horrible adults. $#@! happens.
    Neighbor girl, single mom, has 3 boys......Oldest one's one of the best behaved kids you'll ever meet, middle one is really good natured but prone to temper tantrums and the youngest is just hell on wheels....Her two youngest get paddled, the middle one straightens right up but the younger one bucks..........He'll tear $#@! up later in retribution, passive aggressive....

When they come to my house they all behave and even though I have her permission to bust their asses I've never needed to. We all had a frank discussion when she bought the house about how things worked at my house vs her house.........My son hasn't needed to be paddled at her house but she has my permission...

Kids and adults are all different, I don't think it's right to whip kids for every minor, or even major, infraction but on the same hand I think it's wrong to eliminate the option...

I did, and they are now all happy, healthy productive adults.

Does that discipline style have a long and valued tradition in your family?

BTW, I was spanked too growing up, till I wouldn't let my mother do it any more.
    I too stood up to my mother and her wooden spoon...........Paid for it too.

I have no idea what "long and valued" means in relation to spanking or disciplining children?

Spanking is only one method of discipline......But to address what I think your query is, there're six of us evans kids, all with our own kids, all raised in a house where spanking was an option, NOT A REGULAR OCCURRENCE.

3 of us spank our kids when required the other 3 don't and all of the kids are well adjusted and well educated, no discernible difference between households other than the amount of backtalk....The non-spanking parents spend an inordinate amount of time discussing proper behavior with the younger kids, by the time they're 9 or 10 none of them require spanking or excessive explanations...

Neighbor girl, single mom, has 3 boys......Oldest one's one of the best behaved kids you'll ever meet, middle one is really good natured but prone to temper tantrums and the youngest is just hell on wheels....Her two youngest get paddled, the middle one straightens right up but the younger one bucks..........He'll tear $#@! up later in retribution, passive aggressive....

When they come to my house they all behave and even though I have her permission to bust their asses I've never needed to. We all had a frank discussion when she bought the house about how things worked at my house vs her house.........My son hasn't needed to be paddled at her house but she has my permission...

Kids and adults are all different, I don't think it's right to whip kids for every minor, or even major, infraction but on the same hand I think it's wrong to eliminate the option...
    ..... unless they are 6' 8" and weigh 300 lbs. Face it, you can only do it that way because you are bigger and stronger than them. Is that really a good enough reason?

..... unless they are 6' 8" and weigh 300 lbs. Face it, you can only do it that way because you are bigger and stronger than them. Is that really a good enough reason?
    Reread..............

You set forth that I'm spanking kids, that is not what's written.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Reread..............

You set forth that I'm spanking kids, that is not what's written.
    Actually, I don't think I set forth anything.

I don't think it's wrong to eliminate the option .......

But then, I have the NAP to support and live by. BTW, it applies to children too.
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 04-27-2016 at 12:58 PM.

I don't think it's wrong to eliminate the option .......

But then, I have the NAP to support and live by. BTW, it applies to children too.
    See I don't abide by the NAP......

I try and I think it's a good and noble idea but there are some folks who just need their ass whupped and I'm more than game....

Kids get 1,000,000 times more consideration than some swinging dick with an attitude.

I too stood up to my mother and her wooden spoon...........Paid for it too.

I have no idea what "long and valued" means in relation to spanking or disciplining children?

Spanking is only one method of discipline......But to address what I think your query is, there're six of us evans kids, all with our own kids, all raised in a house where spanking was an option, NOT A REGULAR OCCURRENCE.

3 of us spank our kids when required the other 3 don't and all of the kids are well adjusted and well educated, no discernible difference between households other than the amount of backtalk....The non-spanking parents spend an inordinate amount of time discussing proper behavior with the younger kids, by the time they're 9 or 10 none of them require spanking or excessive explanations...

"long and valued" = Across multiple generations of parenting.

"long and valued" = Across multiple generations of parenting.
    My grandparents spanked their kids but they certainly didn't value having to do so any more than my parents did or myself for that matter...

Maybe try more appropriate phrasing?

I don't know any normal parent who "values" spanking their kids.....It's a last resort punishment not the first item out of the drawer...

See I don't abide by the NAP......

I try and I think it's a good and noble idea but there are some folks who just need their ass whupped and I'm more than game....

Kids get 1,000,000 times more consideration than some swinging dick with an attitude.
    Parenting is only the toughest job you ever have when you are doing it right. Different strokes for different folks. <shrug>

Unless women are giving birth to a child that big, one would have to say that hopefully before they are that size they have been disciplined and understand what is right and what is wrong.

Children need discipline and structure in order to be productive adults.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast