Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Cities Can't Grow All Their Own Food

Why Cities Can't Grow All Their Own Food

http://conservationmagazine.org/2016...heir-own-food/

If all of Seattle’s land in full sun were planted out with crops, it would produce just over 21 percent of the food necessary. But this would require installing gardens on every rooftop, as well as ripping up streets and other impervious surfaces to plant vegetables. And at a certain point, a city without a functioning street grid isn’t really a city anymore.

If grassy areas throughout Seattle (not just in residential zones) were converted to agriculture, this would yield four percent of the city’s food needs. The tradeoffs here aren’t trivial – where would the kids play soccer? – but the authors say that this number represents a reasonable estimate of Seattle’s maximum food crop production capacity (MFCPC)

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I do not think you could cut anything off the vine in Seattle , knives are illegal there if I recall , city ordinance .

This would be true in most cities. New York City has almost no green space, but I can go to Washington Square Farmer's Market and find the most delicious apples ever, grown not too far away. There is a permanence to farming. Land has to be set aside and tended. It doesn't really belong in a place where there is no place to do it. There are many places where farming is doable and desirable. It's good that people aren't concentrated in those areas.
    Last edited by euphemia; 04-26-2016 at 09:41 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I think this is pretty obvious. It takes a 60x60 plot to grow a 50lb bag of rice in a season. Urban agriculture is more about supplementing fresh vegetables and salad; maybe some small scale aquaculture... not land intensive meat and grains that provide bulk calories.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Or what about doing indoor farming with massive underground hydroponic farms, that should be feasible I think.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

I believe that where there's a will, there's a way. All it would take is people going hungry and every resident would be out planting.

City living has become too convenient for people to run to the market or other places to pick up their food. Most people have become too dependent on others to supply them with food.

Victory gardens were planted during WW I and II to prevent food shortages. Hopefully, history will not repeat itself.
    Last edited by donnay; 04-27-2016 at 10:02 AM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Lots of farmland southeast of Seattle..

But ya nothing like pulling up your own organic kale out of the ground and sautéing with some butter and garlic.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

This is true of all cities. Hell, could Rome grow enough to feed itself?
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm sure I'm missing some point being made here..maybe carry over from another thread...?
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post

But ya nothing like pulling up your own organic kale out of the ground and sautéing with some butter and garlic.
    Hipster food. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post

Make sure the soil is high in heavy metals.
    "The Patriarch"

It's not true where I live. There's enough bare land in town here to grow all the food needed for everyone in a hundred-mile radius, but people would rather just raise big lawns and roll over and over the ground on their riding mowers, compressing the soil and filling the air with the stench of incompletely-burned gasoline and the sound of unmuffled internal combustion engines about 16 hours a day from April through October, while pouring their money into gas and oil and mower parts and service and herbicides and artificial fertilizer. All because it never even occurred to them to do anything else with that land.
    Last edited by Suzu; 04-27-2016 at 07:13 AM.

Protection from theft costs?

Quote Originally Posted by Suzu View Post
    It's not true where I live. There's enough bare land in town here to grow all the food needed for everyone in a hundred-mile radius, but people would rather just raise big lawns and roll over and over the ground on their riding mowers, compressing the soil and filling the air with the stench of incompletely-burned gasoline and the sound of unmuffled internal combustion engines about 16 hours a day from April through October, while pouring their money into gas and oil and mower parts and service and herbicides and artificial fertilizer. All because it never even occurred to them to do anything else with that land.
    Most people in the city don't have lawns big enough to justify a riding lawn mower. And in Seattle probably a majority of them use electric or push mowers. But I see all kinds of of yards with vegetables being grown in them there, that doesn't mean they are self sustaining though.
    "The Patriarch"

I thought this was really cool (video quality not so great, video content fascinating):

Their site:
    http://www.growingpower.org/

Article:
    http://wakeup-world.com/2011/07/26/p...ed-on-3-acres/

Eliot Coleman lives in Maine.

Year-round Growing with Eliot Coleman
    http://www.growingagreenerworld.com/year-round-growing/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chicago is full of the wrong kind of dirt to grow anything other than more corruption.

Well, you know, the kids need to play soccer and stuff. They do it for the kiddies, man. They do it for the kiddies. Heh.

Anyway. I planted some seeds this year. I'm not in the best of health at the moment to be turning dirt and whatnot so I just planted in last year's plot. Not really meant to feed me and the kid but just stuff that I want that I don't like to buy/will not buy from mainstream agricultural suppliers.

There is ONE, and only one reason why cities can't grow their own food.
    It's because as soon as someone undertakes figuring out how to do it, the city is going to shut him down.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

but people would rather just raise big lawns and roll over and over the ground on their riding mowers, compressing the soil and filling the air with the stench of incompletely-burned gasoline and the sound of unmuffled internal combustion engines about 16 hours a day from April through October, while pouring their money into gas and oil and mower parts and service and herbicides and artificial fertilizer.
    I always saw such a bitterness in that process. lol

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Quote Originally Posted by J.Michael View Post
    Well, you know, the kids need to play soccer and stuff. They do it for the kiddies, man. They do it for the kiddies. Heh.
    Yes, reminds me of a Janet Reno explanation of Waco. "We had to kill the children to save them."

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    It's because as soon as someone undertakes figuring out how to do it, the city is going to shut him down.
    Exactly. Agenda 21

Hey. Knock it off, man. Where else will the kids play soccer!?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Damned straight! I have zero interest in being a farmer, but not because it never occurred to me. More like, it totally occurred to me, I grew a little and said, "Screw this! I'll happily pay someone else to do it for me."

Division of labor is a win/win.

(what do you think farm tractors run on, sweetie?)

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Exactly. Agenda 21
    I wasn't even thinking that far. I am thinking about all the petty dictators running the city bureaucracies.
    The moment they find out about something like that, it's all over.

A bag of compost is a fire hazard.
    This area isn't zoned for it.
    You didn't pull the permits for that structure.
    The engineer in charge of that permit has never heard of anything like this, and they don't pass plans they don't understand.
    Hey, our inspector was there at exactly 2:30, and he waited for a whole 45 seconds. It's your fault: be on time next time.
    You can't have livestock within city limits.
    Our officers aren't trained to tell Quinoa from Marijuana. It's your fault for growing that many plants. Be happy it was just your dog and not you.

And on, and on, and on.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

I wasn't even thinking that far. I am thinking about all the petty dictators running the city bureaucracies.
    The moment they find out about something like that, it's all over.

A bag of compost is a fire hazard.
    This area isn't zoned for it.
    You didn't pull the permits for that structure.
    The engineer in charge of that permit has never heard of anything like this, and they don't pass plans they don't understand.
    Hey, our inspector was there at exactly 2:30, and he waited for a whole 45 seconds. It's your fault: be on time next time.
    You can't have livestock within city limits.
    Our officers aren't trained to tell Quinoa from Marijuana. It's your fault for growing that many plants. Be happy it was just your dog and not you.

And on, and on, and on.
    Where do you think they are getting their talking points from?

Additionally, and here’s where the story gets frightening and should cause concern for all property owners in the United States, it appears that in this case these ordinances were adopted verbatim from the United Nations Agenda 21 charter for global sustainable development. Across the United States, and the world, cities and states are adopting, ICC (International Code Council) codes aimed at bringing uniformity to the enforcement of sustainability as decided by regulatory committees acting under the purview of Agenda 21.
    http://www.wakingtimes.com/2014/02/1...0-fines-weeds/

Everything I mentioned has been going on for over a century.
    I can totally appreciate not wanting international government to meddle in our local affairs.
    I can totally appreciate not wanting federal government to meddle in our local affairs.

I'm talking about local government meddling. That has been going on forever, and it's the worst kind, because there are so very few of us who are tuned into it. Lots of Americans are ready to get out of the UN or eliminate the FDA. None of those anti-government types is going to give up on the possibility of calling the cops first when their neighbors are playing music at 10pm.

The division of labor is a good thing. Not everyone should be devoting resources to farming.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    The division of labor is a good thing. Not everyone should be devoting resources to farming.
    I think every adult should have at least a bonzai tree. Just personal suggestion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast