Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Cities Can't Grow All Their Own Food

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    I think every adult should have at least a bonzai tree.
    Please define "bonzai" (if you were not simply misspelling "bonsai").

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    misspell busted

bonzai!

Last edited by presence; 04-27-2016 at 05:25 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Not enough farmers?

misspell busted
    No, it's compounded. The guy in that pic is yelling "BANZAI!"

This is the first time I ever learned that bonsai and banzai were two different things.

I always just thought that yelling "Banzai!" was something like shorthand for, "Japan is awesome! We have bonsai trees!"

misspell busted
    I think you should grow them, and we could have a system wherein people on this forum make microdonations to the site and receive Bansai as a gift, NPR style.

Then those present would present cents for a present from Presence.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    The division of labor is a good thing. Not everyone should be devoting resources to farming.
    It would certainly do some of the city folk I've met some good to farm for their food...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    It would certainly do some of the city folk I've met some good to farm for their food...
    Sure, some good. But it does them even more good to specialize on other things where they have a comparative advantage and leave the farming to those who can do so more efficiently, and then trade goods and services with one another.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I think you should grow them, and we could have a system wherein people on this forum make microdonations to the site and receive Bansai as a gift, NPR style.

Then those present would present cents for a present from Presence.
    There is no "bansai" in the Japanese language, only "bonsai" and "banzai".

This is the first time I ever learned that bonsai and banzai were two different things.

I always just thought that yelling "Banzai!" was something like shorthand for, "Japan is awesome! We have bonsai trees!"
    The actual meaning of "banzai" is (roughly) "long life". Non-Japanese speakers often confuse "banzai" with a war cry. It is probably because the Japanese soldiers shouted "Tennouheika Banzai! (天皇陛下万歳!)" when they were dying during World War II. In this context what they meant was "Long live the Emperor".

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Sure, some good. But it does them even more good to specialize on other things where they have a comparative advantage and leave the farming to those who can do so more efficiently, and then trade goods and services with one another.
    US strategy deliberately destroyed family farming in the US and abroad and led to 95% of all grain reserves in the world being under the control of six multinational agribusiness corporations.
    http://investmentwatchblog.com/kissi...rain-reserves/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Isn't that what Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge were doing in Cambodia, IIRC?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post

Why animals kill their masters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Why animals kill their masters.
    Watchu talking about? That's a picture of a citified steak and salad right there.

loveshiscountry

That's salads and stuff. Not real food like cow or pig.

Guys, don't you realize that we have something called division of labor, which without, we all would be working as hard as we could to barely survive? I get the nostalgia of being self sufficient, but get over it. Cities don't need to produce a scrap of food when there are rural farmers the world over ready to trade for it (and they have the comparative advantage in food production).
    Tax is theft. War is murder. Conscription is slavery. Government is organized crime.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12