Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 56

Thread: Utah GOPer Says Access To Pornography Violates His 'Right To Not View It'

  1. #1

    Utah GOPer Says Access To Pornography Violates His 'Right To Not View It'

    The sponsor of a recently passed Utah resolution declaring that “pornography is creating a public health crisis” appeared on the Family Research Council’s “Washington Watch” program yesterday to defend the measure, which the governor signed on Tuesday, and allege that the availability of pornography is violating his “First Amendment right to not view it.”

    State Sen. Todd Weiler, a Republican, urged libraries and McDonalds restaurants with WiFi to block pornography websites, claiming that he has heard anecdotally that children go to McDonalds to view pornographic websites: “I said to McDonalds, ‘You’re a family restaurant and you market to children, why would you want to be a purveyor of pornography?’”

    “You know, the librarians will put their hands over their hearts and talk about the First Amendment and yet if these libraries and these McDonalds were giving cigarettes to our children, we’d all be up in arms, we’d be picketing them,” he said. “But somehow it’s okay if they deliver pornography to them.”

    Tony Perkins, the president of the Family Research Council and the host of the program, compared the availability of pornographic websites at such locations to “second-hand smoke,” saying that children and families can end up watching porn from other people’s computers and “the public has a right not to be confronted with this.”

    “That’s what I think is often lost in the First Amendment discussion,” Weiler said, “because someone may have the First Amendment right, according to the U.S. Supreme Court, to view pornography, but what about my First Amendment right to not view it?”

    Weiler went on to hail British Prime Minister David Cameron for his government-led push to block pornographic websites in the U.K., mentioning that he asked Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, to introduce a similar plan in the U.S.
    - See more at: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/conten....j9ARWfOR.dpuf


    I guess he's not watching the Ted Cruz female look alike 6 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    Bet he's at risk for prostate cancer.....

  4. #3
    I'd seriously rather give kids cigarettes than porn.

    That said its disappointing that conservatives feel the need to couch their arguments in post enlightement rights based language
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Liberty View Post
    I'd seriously rather give kids cigarettes than porn.
    So you want to give kids lung cancer AND prostate cancer??
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc


    "Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

    "Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Liberty View Post
    I'd seriously rather give kids cigarettes than porn.

    That said its disappointing that conservatives feel the need to couch their arguments in post enlightement rights based language
    Why would you want to give kids anything not approved by their parents?

    Which conservative has voiced an opinion that you believe you're justified in judging?

  7. #6
    “That’s what I think is often lost in the First Amendment discussion,” Weiler said, “because someone may have the First Amendment right, according to the U.S. Supreme Court, to view pornography, but what about my First Amendment right to not view it?”
    What about my 1st amendment right to not have to view People of Walmart pictures?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

    Donald Trump / Rand Paul (Vice Pres) 2016!!!!

  8. #7
    Next thing you know he'll have women in burkas, lest they be subject to the death penalty dare they show an ankle or a wrist.

  9. #8
    Twitter: B4Liberty@USAB4L
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    They are what they hate.” - B4L


    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Next thing you know he'll have women in burkas, lest they be subject to the death penalty dare they show an ankle or a wrist.
    It's not the worst idea anyone's ever had. Women should be forced to dress more modestly, get us back to our Christian roots.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

    Donald Trump / Rand Paul (Vice Pres) 2016!!!!

  12. #10
    I see crazy talk there in the OP quote, and I sure ought to know it when I read it!

  13. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Why would you want to give kids anything not approved by their parents?
    I wouldnt, that said there shouldn't be civil penalties for smoking cigarettes , even ofr kids. Porn should be banned
    Which conservative has voiced an opinion that you believe you're justified in judging?
    I just mean the way the OP is framed "right to not view".... not everything should be framed in terms of rights and the obscene should be banned because its evil period.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

  14. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Liberty View Post
    I just mean the way the OP is framed "right to not view".... not everything should be framed in terms of rights and the obscene should be banned because its evil period.
    PoW should be banned because its evil, for sure.

    In general, obscenely fat people should also be banned, noone wants to look at that.

    Banning stuff is fun. My second favorite hobby.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

    Donald Trump / Rand Paul (Vice Pres) 2016!!!!

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Liberty View Post
    I wouldnt, that said there shouldn't be civil penalties for smoking cigarettes , even ofr kids. Porn should be banned


    I just mean the way the OP is framed "right to not view".... not everything should be framed in terms of rights and the obscene should be banned because its evil period.
    Obscene is in the eye of the beholder.

    If one is set on banning things he'd be wise to stick to things with clear definitions.

    if one's goal is a smaller government he must give up the idea of banning anything.

  16. #14
    Is there some constiturionally protected right to McDonalds?
    Maybe Mormon KFC's can advertise "no wi-fi"? Free Market FTW.
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

  17. #15
    I'd seriously rather give kids cigarettes than porn.
    Women should be forced to dress more modestly, get us back to our Christian roots.

    Modern
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com at its finest.

  18. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by ligant View Post
    I'd seriously rather give kids cigarettes than porn.
    Women should be forced to dress more modestly, get us back to our Christian roots.
    Me thinkith thou art a nutjob.......

    What, pray-tell, other behaviors would you like to force women to do?

    I'd like to suggest that you try forcing the women in your own family to behave in manners you find pleasing and see how they take it...

    I'll tell you here and now that you won't be forcing the women in my family to do anything unless you go through me first.



  19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  20. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Me thinkith thou art a nutjob.......

    What, pray-tell, other behaviors would you like to force women to do?

    I'd like to suggest that you try forcing the women in your own family to behave in manners you find pleasing and see how they take it...

    I'll tell you here and now that you won't be forcing the women in my family to do anything unless you go through me first.
    Methinks he doth know not how to quote people correctly
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

    Donald Trump / Rand Paul (Vice Pres) 2016!!!!

  21. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Methinks he doth know not how to quote people correctly
    I probably don't..........

    Care to help me out wise one?

    [edit]

    Could be I get the dumbass award this mornin'........

    I'm going to go wrestle with a board, at least I can usually outwit boards...
    Last edited by tod evans; 04-27-2016 at 08:28 AM.

  22. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Obscene is in the eye of the beholder.

    If one is set on banning things he'd be wise to stick to things with clear definitions.

    if one's goal is a smaller government he must give up the idea of banning anything.
    I don't see how that last bit follows, government can be smaller without being non-existant.

    I think Biblical principle is clear that covenant-breaking display of sexual perversion is way different than lots of the other common things that our government today prohibits with no reason.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

  23. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Liberty View Post
    I don't see how that last bit follows, government can be smaller without being non-existant.

    I think Biblical principle is clear that covenant-breaking display of sexual perversion is way different than lots of the other common things that our government today prohibits with no reason.
    Thing is you don't know that the "porn" in question isn't good ol' Southern Baptists going at it for some spending money on their 15th anniversary...

    Or a couple from the Assembly of God ministry putting on a couples demonstration for newlyweds...

    What's porn to one may not be porn to another just as your interpretation of scripture won't ring true to all Christians.

    As with all things government bans, there's some group of idiots calling for the ban because the issue offends them for some reason or another.

    Don't be one of the idiots calling for government to enforce your ideas/morals or ethics on everybody.

    Better to put government in her place where she can't interfere with you when you enforce your beliefs on your family...

    Otherwise you get a government that'll tell you what is moral/ethical or perverse and she'll enforce her beliefs with goons-n-guns........

  24. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Liberty View Post
    I wouldnt, that said there shouldn't be civil penalties for smoking cigarettes , even ofr kids. Porn should be banned


    I just mean the way the OP is framed "right to not view".... not everything should be framed in terms of rights and the obscene should be banned because its evil period.
    Why did you skip my post? Did you miss the prostate health thread? Why do you promote poor prostate health and poor overall health?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc


    "Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

    "Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

  25. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Methinks he doth know not how to quote people correctly
    Seriously.... when are you selling tickets to your next show

    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TheTexan again.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

    It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

  26. #23
    If you don't want your kids watching porn... be better parents and control what they have access to.

    Government need not intervene.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

    It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

  27. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    So you want to give kids lung cancer AND prostate cancer??
    When I was a teen, I didn't need porn to inspire me to uh (how shall I put this?)... relieve my potential for prostate cancer. I had a very active imagination.



  28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  29. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    When I was a teen, I didn't need porn to inspire me to uh (how shall I put this?)... relieve my potential for prostate cancer. I had a very active imagination.
    Pretty sure he wants to ban that too
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc


    "Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

    "Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

  30. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Pretty sure he wants to ban that too
    What? Active imaginations?

  31. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Thing is you don't know that the "porn" in question isn't good ol' Southern Baptists going at it for some spending money on their 15th anniversary...

    Or a couple from the Assembly of God ministry putting on a couples demonstration for newlyweds...

    What's porn to one may not be porn to another just as your interpretation of scripture won't ring true to all Christians.

    As with all things government bans, there's some group of idiots calling for the ban because the issue offends them for some reason or another.

    Don't be one of the idiots calling for government to enforce your ideas/morals or ethics on everybody.

    Better to put government in her place where she can't interfere with you when you enforce your beliefs on your family...


    Otherwise you get a government that'll tell you what is moral/ethical or perverse and she'll enforce her beliefs with goons-n-guns........
    ^this^
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers


    "When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous


    “The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

  32. #28
    Well for Pete's sake, let's all be sure to make the world just absolutely perfect, just for you. Would you care for an egg in your beer?

  33. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Why did you skip my post? Did you miss the prostate health thread? Why do you promote poor prostate health and poor overall health?
    I dont. Ideally people would get married younger and we'd probably have arranged marriages.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

  34. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Pretty sure he wants to ban that too
    Not really, that's not really enforceable

    What you do to yourself doesn't really have covenantal ramifications the way spreading perversion does.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •