Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul and endorsement of presumptive nominee

Rand Paul and endorsement of presumptive nominee

Please take any personal pro-Trump or anti-Trump emotions out of the equation and lets look at it from a purely practical standpoint. Rand has already said he's going to endorse the eventual nominee no matter who it is. If Trump romps tonight as expected, he'll almost certainly be that person barring any GOPe dirty tricks at the convention that Rand wouldn't want to be associated with anyway.

Donald Trump is not a particularly ideological person but one thing he does value tremendously is loyalty. If Rand were to be the first "anti-Trump" to turn around and endorse The Donald he'd secure himself a tremendous amount of good will from the incoming President. That would be extremely helpful to Rand in pursuing his legislative priorities in the Senate.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    $#@!.

NO.

//
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

No.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    No.
    But why? Remember, we are analyzing this from a strictly pragmatic political perspective. Rand has already committed to endorsing the nominee, so the idea that he won't endorse Trump at all is pretty much off the table. It's either endorse him now, or endorse him later. Later gets us nothing. Now gets Rand lots of good will he can use to advance the cause of Liberty in the Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulMall View Post
    But why? Remember, we are analyzing this from a strictly pragmatic political perspective. Rand has already committed to endorsing the nominee, so the idea that he won't endorse Trump at all is pretty much off the table. It's either endorse him now, or endorse him later. Later gets us nothing. Now gets Rand lots of good will he can use to advance the cause of Liberty in the Senate.

To endorse anyone would be to alienate, unnecessarily, a portion of his potential voters. There is nothing to gain, and everything to lose.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Nope, he won't get anything. Trump hates him.

Also, I don't know if you know this or not but Trump hasn't yet been nominated.
    "I am a bird"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    To endorse anyone would be to alienate, unnecessarily, a portion of his potential voters. There is nothing to gain, and everything to lose.
    Rand has dropped out. He doesn't need voters anymore. The only election in his future is the Senate race which he will walk away with.

Nope, he won't get anything. Trump hates him.

Also, I don't know if you know this or not but Trump hasn't yet been nominated.
    Trump has a tremendous capacity for forgiveness. If Rand were to endorse him, they'd be fast friends.

And this hypothetical is premised on Trump securing a resounding victory tonight. He won't be 100% certain of the nomination of course, but if you wait until it is 100% certain you'll be among the laggards and there will be absolutely nothing to gain.

Let's see, Mitch McConnell, Mitt Romney...why not?
    "The Patriarch"

I don't think so. But, I have often wished that he and Ron would meet with him to discuss issues and give suggestions.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    I don't think so. But, I have often wished that he and Ron would meet with him to discuss issues and give suggestions.
    Should he also meet with Sanders?
    Stop believing stupid things

Quote Originally Posted by Tywysog Cymru View Post
    Should he also meet with Sanders?
    Personally, I think Sanders is too far gone.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    Personally, I think Sanders is too far gone.
    But Sanders is taking on the establishment!
    Stop believing stupid things

Rand has dropped out. He doesn't need voters anymore. The only election in his future is the Senate race which he will walk away with.

Trump has a tremendous capacity for forgiveness. If Rand were to endorse him, they'd be fast friends.

And this hypothetical is premised on Trump securing a resounding victory tonight. He won't be 100% certain of the nomination of course, but if you wait until it is 100% certain you'll be among the laggards and there will be absolutely nothing to gain.
    They're not going to know if he's the nominee until after the first ballot. Rand will be a RNC delegate. Maybe he writes his own name in when he's unbound.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Now gets Rand lots of good will he can use to advance the cause of Liberty in the Senate.
    How?

NO.

Please take any personal pro-Trump or anti-Trump emotions out of the equation and lets look at it from a purely practical standpoint. Rand has already said he's going to endorse the eventual nominee no matter who it is. If Trump romps tonight as expected, he'll almost certainly be that person barring any GOPe dirty tricks at the convention that Rand wouldn't want to be associated with anyway.

Donald Trump is not a particularly ideological person but one thing he does value tremendously is loyalty. If Rand were to be the first "anti-Trump" to turn around and endorse The Donald he'd secure himself a tremendous amount of good will from the incoming President. That would be extremely helpful to Rand in pursuing his legislative priorities in the Senate.
    More harm than good , so , No.

He will endorse whoever the likely nominee is, just like he endorsed Mitt in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    How?
    By earning the goodwill of the future President.

He will endorse whoever the likely nominee is, just like he endorsed Mitt in 2012.
    But if he waits until the point when everybody starts endorsing Trump, he gains nothing from it. You have to be ahead of the curve a bit to reap any benefits.

But if he waits until the point when everybody starts endorsing Trump, he gains nothing from it. You have to be ahead of the curve a bit to reap any benefits.
    What benefits do you think Rand would get from endorsing Trump?
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    What benefits do you think Rand would get from endorsing Trump?
    Trump would appreciate it and feel that he owes Rand something. Since Trump is essentially non-ideological on far more issues than the average President, that means there are a wealth of things he doesn't really care about one way or the other that Rand could take advantage of and use to cash his chit.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Trump would appreciate it and feel that he owes Rand something. Since Trump is essentially non-ideological on far more issues than the average President, that means there are a wealth of things he doesn't really care about one way or the other that Rand could take advantage of and use to cash his chit.
    So really there is no benefit...

no effing way
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.

H. L. Mencken said it best:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

That's assuming Trump becomes President, which is highly unlikely.

But you said that this would somehow help him advance a liberty agenda or something. How is that?

If Trump becomes President, Rand's most important job will be fighting to make sure none of the laws he wants get passed.

So when Trump sees him doing that, it will undo whatever good will Rand could get by endorsing him a few months earlier than necessary.

??? How could endorsing Trump possible earn Hillary's goodwill?! And why would he want it?
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    How could endorsing Trump possible earn Hillary's goodwill
    Because it would be endorsing the person she wants to win the Republican nomination.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast