Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Coinbase staff person reading this forum?

Any Coinbase staff person reading this forum?

How the heck does someone get in touch with Coinbase? They're not answering email and I can't find a phone number to call. I am locked out of my account because I forgot to change my phone number inside of it and thus can't receive the security code to log in.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    support@coinbase.com

How can I contact Coinbase Support?

Apr 13, 2016

Our team is always ready to assist via email, live chat, Twitter, and our Community. We believe these support mediums work best for the evolving needs of our customers.
    https://support.coinbase.com/custome...nbase-support-

or submit ticket

https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/emails/new
    Last edited by presence; 04-25-2016 at 06:49 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

They aren't responding to email. Or to "tickets".

Quote Originally Posted by Suzu View Post
    They aren't responding to email. Or to "tickets".
    Give it a few.

they reply in 1-2 days, no phone support
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

I hope you aren't using Coinbase for anything more than a quick fiat -> btc exchange.

Here's a hint: bitcoin was created to remove points of central control and trusted third parties such as banks. Coinbase is essentially a bitcoin bank. see the problem?

said another way: if you don't personally hold the private keys to your bitcoin... they are not YOUR bitcoin. at any moment... poof!
    Last edited by danda; 04-25-2016 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by danda View Post
    I hope you aren't using Coinbase for anything more than a quick fiat -> btc exchange.

Here's a hint: bitcoin was created to remove points of central control and trusted third parties such as banks. Coinbase is essentially a bitcoin bank. see the problem?

said another way: if you don't personally hold the private keys to your bitcoin... they are not YOUR bitcoin. at any moment... poof!
    Are you suggesting they might be gone?

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    Give it a few.
    a few what -- weeks?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No, don't trust anyone in a trusttless system is the message.

unlikely, coinbase is legit

the implication is that when you hold coins in wallet YOU are the banker, when you hold coins on exchange... the exchange is your banker.

I hold coins 100% on exchange... but I bank in multiple accounts at multiple exchanges to mitigate exchange implosion risk; goxxed.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Well I finally heard from them after sending a message on Twitter. Apparently in this kind of situation, you have to deal with a third-party authentication system called "Authy". Too bad there's nothing about this in the Coinbase FAQ. Anyway it then takes another 2-3 days to solve the problem, and it may not be able to be solved at all unless you own a cell phone -- which I don't. But Authy assumes everyone has and uses cell phones, apparently.

Well I finally heard from them after sending a message on Twitter. Apparently in this kind of situation, you have to deal with a third-party authentication system called "Authy". Too bad there's nothing about this in the Coinbase FAQ. Anyway it then takes another 2-3 days to solve the problem, and it may not be able to be solved at all unless you own a cell phone -- which I don't. But Authy assumes everyone has and uses cell phones, apparently.

You can Authy from any PC with internet connection

https://www.google.com/#q=authy+from+pc&gws_rd=ssl

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    You can Authy from any PC with internet connection
    I don't even understand your statement, because I don't understand the word "Authy" to be a verb. If it is in fact a verb, what does it mean "to Authy"?

Are you saying that I will have install an "app" on my computer, just to get my phone number changed with Coinbase???

In any event, better hope I can solve this, because I told myself next time I see the value of BTC nearing $500 I would sell my minuscule stake, because I need the cash so desperately, and what this means for all of you folks if I succeed and do sell what I have, then the price will immediately go through the roof, because my luck with money in any form is as bad as it gets.

So, as long as I can't get into my Coinbase account, you can count on the value of BTC staying fairly low. If on the other hand I had cash to spare and wanted to BUY, all you guys would see your own holdings fall to about 20% of what they are currently worth, because falling that far in value is what happens anytime I buy any form of crypto currency. So be very glad that I can't afford any BTC!

I don't even understand your statement, because I don't understand the word "Authy" to be a verb. If it is in fact a verb, what does it mean "to Authy"?

Are you saying that I will have install an "app" on my computer, just to get my phone number changed with Coinbase???
    "to Authy" would be to use the app "Authy" either on a phone, tablet, or PC to authenticate with "2FA"; two factor authentication

I'm not familiar with Authy... but there's another one called "Google Authenticator" that I have used, and many others that works similarly.

I'm pretty sure Authy is a firefox addon or chrome addon.

"Authy" generates "tokens" which verify your identity.

more on what it is here:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/199262/auth...ion-made-easy/

Thanks for that... What happened with me is Coinbase instructed me to go to this link:

https://www.authy.com/phones/change

On the bottom of that page is a string of five icons, none of which I recognize. The only other option is shown below those icons. I had to tell "Authy" that I don't have access to my phone, even though it is sitting right here and I most definitely DO have access to it.

Then I get an email from Authy saying "We're reviewing your petition to change your cellphone." And I don't have a cellphone.

It goes on to say how long it will take, and that the process can't be sped up.

So I emailed them back:

My phone is a land line. I don't own a cell phone. Never have. You won't be able to send text messages to my phone.

Please note, I also do not have voice mail, caller ID, or any of the other frills offered by the local phone company. If there is no answer, it means I am out of range. I might even just be in the next room with the water running and not hear the ring. It is not a cordless phone. I can't use a cordless or cellular phone, nor any wireless "device". I have internet service via a non-wireless-enabled modem using an ethernet cord.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well I figured out how to add "Authy" to my web browser, but I have no clue how to use it. Am I supposed to be able to log into Coinbase with a code from it without having to get a phone call? If so, how on EARTH does that work? I am utterly clueless. I go to Coinbase.com and STILL can't log in. I did get a phone call after installing Authy, to verify my phone number. They insisted on having my "cellphone" number, but I filled in the land line number anyway, and got the call.

Only if somebody else has your cell phone and username/password

The whole process is just to help keep your $#@! safe. If a hacker steals your username and password, they still can't login to your account unless they also have your cell phone.

If you don't have a cell phone they will probably be able to help you figure something out, but the process is a good way to keep people's accounts secure.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

unlikely, coinbase is legit

the implication is that when you hold coins in wallet YOU are the banker, when you hold coins on exchange... the exchange is your banker.

I hold coins 100% on exchange... but I bank in multiple accounts at multiple exchanges to mitigate exchange implosion risk; goxxed.
    I have no idea what this "wallet" is or how to use it. Whatever it is, I would just lose it anyway, so it doesn't matter. I just want to get OUT of anything to do with computers, crypto currencies, authentication codes, "apps", etc. etc. FOREVER. It is too much of a headache!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Only if somebody else has your cell phone and username/password

The whole process is just to help keep your $#@! safe. If a hacker steals your username and password, they still can't login to your account unless they also have your cell phone.

If you don't have a cell phone they will probably be able to help you figure something out, but the process is a good way to keep people's accounts secure.
    So, you are saying that if someone got hold of "my" cellhphone -- and I have never owned or even used a cellphone -- etc. that Coinbase itself could have vanished the way Mt. Gox did?

So, you are saying that if someone got hold of "my" cellhphone -- and I have never owned or even used a cellphone -- etc. that Coinbase itself could have vanished the way Mt. Gox did?
    No, I'm saying if they had your cell phone and your username/password to the account then they could transfer the coin to their own wallet.

If you have a significant amount of savings on exchanges and plan on holding onto it, it is probably a good idea to keep some yourself, but I just do what pres does and hold it on multiple exchanges. If one goes down, I still have lots of coin on other exchanges or wallets.
    Last edited by dannno; 04-26-2016 at 02:21 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

It's a bad idea to keep money on exchanges. They disappear and run off with people's funds practically every month. I would've thought people would've learned that lesson by now. but to each their own....

horse to water:
    https://www.bitaddress.org
    ( click "Paper wallet", print, send funds to address. Put in secure place. done. )
    Last edited by danda; 04-26-2016 at 04:05 PM.

It's a bad idea to keep money on exchanges. They disappear and run off with people's funds practically every month. I would've thought people would've learned that lesson by now. but to each their own....

horse to water:
    ( click "Paper wallet", print, send funds to address. Put in secure place. done. )
    For the most part very good advice.

but if you must do otherwise:

rule 1: don't bank at $#@!coin exchanges
    rule 2: don't bank at new exchanges
    rule 3: don't bank at one exchange
    rule 4: there are several high volume very legit exchanges... keep your funds with the family
    rule 5: when funds are at an exchange keep tabs on them, submit tickets same day something is wrong

I algo trade; so my funds must be available at all times.

I stick to bitfinex and btce for the most part.

I use 2 accounts at each; I split my holdings 4 ways. I use 4 different email addresses at 4 different domains.

One bot controls it all in terms of buy/sell.

The odds that finex and btce go under in one day seems slim.

crypto long, moar coinz short!
    Last edited by presence; 04-26-2016 at 04:21 PM.

Well I figured out how to add "Authy" to my web browser, but I have no clue how to use it. Am I supposed to be able to log into Coinbase with a code from it without having to get a phone call? If so, how on EARTH does that work? I am utterly clueless. I go to Coinbase.com and STILL can't log in. I did get a phone call after installing Authy, to verify my phone number. They insisted on having my "cellphone" number, but I filled in the land line number anyway, and got the call.
    usually you have to use the app to generate a 6 digit number... then you have 30 seconds to enter your password and that number at the site you're authenticating with.

might be different with authy but that's my experience with 2fa via desktop

Lastly, for security we'll use your number to send you a registration pin. You can get one via SMS or Phone Call.
    so did you get your registration pin?

then you register your authy app

then you should be able to plug your email address into the authy app... the authy app recognizes the address and your device...

then it kicks out a 6 digit code

you go to coinbase with that and your coinbase password before the timer expires.... and you're in

if timer expires just generate new 6 digit code

you are proving that you know your coinbase account name, you know your coinbase account password, you know your email address, and you're standing in front of your authy registered device, which has a phone number associated with it and a pin number you were given when you registered the device.

If it helps ease your concerns any... I'm very bullish here btcusd on a 10 day forecast level.

I have no idea what this "wallet" is or how to use it. Whatever it is, I would just lose it anyway, so it doesn't matter. I just want to get OUT of anything to do with computers, crypto currencies, authentication codes, "apps", etc. etc. FOREVER. It is too much of a headache!!!!
    unfortunate its been such a hassle, new tech on the bleeding edge

anything I can do to be an ambassador just ask,
    never neglect the self interested community element of bitcoin
    Last edited by presence; 04-26-2016 at 04:39 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    btw, even though coinbase has been around for a while and seems "legit" they have frozen many customer's funds. I've seen many complaints of this on reddit. Once that happens, people have no recourse but to comply with demands or forfeit their funds.

just google: coinbase freeze site:reddit.com

horse to water:
    You make it sound so simple... I went to the site and am still clueless.

so did you get your registration pin?
    For what? I don't know....

then you register your authy app
    No idea how that's done....

then you should be able to plug your email address into the authy app... the authy app recognizes the address and your device...
    If you say so....

then it kicks out a 6 digit code
    I believe you....

you go to coinbase with that and your coinbase password before the timer expires.... and you're in
    I couldn't do that without someone talking me through it the first time.

you are proving that you know your coinbase account name
    I didn't even know the account had a name....

you know your coinbase account password, you know your email address, and you're standing in front of your authy registered device, which has a phone number associated with it and a pin number you were given when you registered the device.
    The "device" means the computer, yes? If I could figure out how to "register" it, and get this PIN, I'd probably be on my way....

If it helps ease your concerns any... I'm very bullish here btcusd on a 10 day forecast level.
    It might help ease my concerns if I knew what you were talking about! I know what "bullish" means but I don't understand "10 day forecast level".

anything I can do to be an ambassador just ask,
    never neglect the self interested community element of bitcoin
    Again, I don't understand what you're telling me.
    But thanks for saying it.

ok the pin is supposed to come to you via SMS text message on a cell phone; thats the reason they asked for a cell phone number from you.... you should have got a 4 digit pin to authenticate your device (PC) when you got the phone call.

you should have got a 4 digit pin to authenticate your device (PC) when you got the phone call.
    I got a two-digit code. 82. I entered it into the box it was supposed to go into. Then it asked me if I want to add some accounts. I said yes. Then it asked for a six-digit code which I did not have. I guess that code is supposed to come from Coinbase -- maybe by phone? but they don't have my correct phone number -- and I think I would have had to be logged in on Coinbase to get that code, anyway... but since being unable to log in on Coinbase is the whole reason I am having this trouble, I seem to be chasing my own tail or something like that.

I'm very bullish here btcusd on a 10 day forecast level.
    You never explained what you meant by this, so I make this assumption: You thought bitcoin would keep increasing in value for the coming ten days. Right?

Well, now that I am FINALLY able to log into my Coinbase account (and I have NO IDEA how I managed that, because every move I made seemed to be leading me farther from being able to log in), it's worth more than $20 less than it was worth when you wrote the above.

So which is it: My assumption was wrong, or your bullish idea? Or something else? More importantly, what does the future hold?
    Last edited by Suzu; 04-28-2016 at 04:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast