Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Survive an Elevator Free Fall

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    BTW, how do you know when it's a few feet from the ground when you are enclosed in an opaque box?
    Use the altimeter app on your phone. You must have the paid version.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    If theres even a chance of this happening, we need to increase elevator safety regulations until this never happens again.

This is 2016 folks. People shouldnt be dying in elevators anymore. Write your congressmen.
    Just ban them all together. Not only would it would prevent elevator deaths, it would also help solve the obesity problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Just ban them all together. Not only would it would prevent elevator deaths, it would also help solve the obesity problem.
    Ban buildings over 1 story tall

Ban buildings over 1 story tall
    Its working well for San Francisco. No elevator deaths that I am aware of.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    When I was little, I used to kinda freak out about escalators and revolving doors. AARRGGHH!
    I worked at a datacenter where access was via revolving door controlled by RFID and fingerprint. If you tried to jump in the door without swiping and printing, it will lock in the middle closed position and if you are not absurdly claustrophobic you might remember to hit the "reverse button" inside the chamber and back your way back out into the lobby.

BTW, how do you know when it's a few feet from the ground when you are enclosed in an opaque box?
    Not that that is really a viable solution of course, but elevators where hydraulics give out or cables snap usually retain power enough to tell you the floors passing by.

Just remember, you will be near weightless (elevator will be at near freefall, not actual freefall) so you will not really have enough resistance on the floor to provide enough force to reduce your descent very much at all. You'd have to have legs like a cheetah, low weight high mass super acceleration, and time it less than a half second from the impact, or even if you had the super-human strength and speed in your legs, you wouldn't just bust through the top with equal injurious force and THEN slam into the bottom.

I have an irrational fear of elevator free falls but I feel better knowing what to do. Instead of laying flat, what about sitting like they tell you during tornado drills. My mom used to call it the stick your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye pose.

http://www.livescience.com/33445-how...cmpid%3D514627
    How to survive ? Take the stairs .

Ya know, I really hate to dangle. I guess you're dangling in an elevator, maybe that's why I hate them. At Six Flags, I'll ride any roller coaster but I won't ride those buckets that take you from one side of the park to the other. The other Animals like 'em but I'd rather walk. They got me in one once and started rocking it and screaming "We're all gonna diiiiie". I was crying when I got off that thing and swore I'd never do it again.
    What about this space elevator ?

Let me tell you, it's fun to ride... Properly scary too the first time. (And those cables actually break from time to time)
    Last edited by luctor-et-emergo; 04-24-2016 at 03:16 AM.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    What about this space elevator ?

Let me tell you, it's fun to ride... Properly scary too the first time. (And those cables actually break from time to time)
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

It'll be okay Suz...

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    It'll be okay Suz...

I'll need that, a change of clothes, and a box of Franza to wash down a handful of Valium before I could even get near that thing.

I'll need that, a change of clothes, and a box of Franza to wash down a handful of Valium before I could even get near that thing.
    There are lots of things to do with gumbyfied women that are more fun than puking in a glider........

There are lots of things to do with gumbyfied women that are more fun than puking in a glider........
    In that case, I'd be more fun without the Valium, the Depends (unless you''re into that sort of thing), and you might want to cut me off at 2 cups of Franzia.

In that case, I'd be more fun without the Valium, the Depends (unless you''re into that sort of thing), and you might want to cut me off at 2 cups of Franzia.
    You're getting old.............

Ducks and weaves.....

I'm sure you'd have fun.
    "I am a bird"

Only if you're into explosive diarrhea, screaming and barfing. O_o

I'm sure you'd have fun.

You're getting old.............

Ducks and weaves.....
    *sigh* Yeah, the hangovers hurt more than they used to...

Only if you're into explosive diarrhea, screaming and barfing. O_o
    I've seen people barf but I haven't heard of people having explosive diarrhea from flying gliders... Screaming ? Meh, most people who are scared shut up and turn white/pale.
    "I am a bird"

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    *sigh* Yeah, the hangovers hurt more than they used to...
    Just wait............Getting old ain't for pussy's.

I've seen people barf but I haven't heard of people having explosive diarrhea from flying gliders... Screaming ? Meh, most people who are scared shut up and turn white/pale.
    Not me. I'm a shameless screamer. Loud and proud.

Just wait............Getting old ain't for pussy's.

Gawd, I hope Franzia doesn't go out of business.

Gawd, I hope Franzia doesn't go out of business.
    Don't worry Valium will still be around even if boxed wine isn't.......

Use the stairs instead.
    No, no, no. Bad plan. You might fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Just do jumping jacks really fast until its all over. Better yet try doing a split, since most of us can't do a full split it will only go there on full impact cushioning our fall. I wonder why they call them splits anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Just do jumping jacks really fast until its all over. Better yet try doing a split, since most of us can't do a full split it will only go there on full impact cushioning our fall. I wonder why they call them splits anyway?
    You're a genius! Thanks, you may have saved a life!

And it would keep those uppity old people and wheelchair-bound folks from living above the first floor.

Elevators are a gamble no matter what at this point. Some of the nastier accidents have nothing to do with falling.

Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    And it would keep those uppity old people and wheelchair-bound folks from living above the first floor.

Elevators are a gamble no matter what at this point. Some of the nastier accidents have nothing to do with falling.

a platform or compartment housed in a shaft for raising and lowering people or things to different floors or levels.

What you posted is still an elevator
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    a platform or compartment housed in a shaft for raising and lowering people or things to different floors or levels.

What you posted is still an elevator
    I'm pretty sure I could survive a accident on one of those babies.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast