Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to Survive an Elevator Free Fall

I'm Bob Wiley.
    I'd rather walk up 50 flights of stairs rather than take the elevator.

My fear is getting stuck in an elevator. For days on end.
    Like this guy:

But with the added fun of being in there with a bunch of strangers.
    Let the cables snap at that point. It would be a relief.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I always just take the stairs anyway.

If I forget this thread- will I have time to pull out my cell phone and look up what to do between the time the elevator fails and it hits the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    Use the altimeter app on your phone. You must have the paid version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    If I forget this thread- will I have time to pull out my cell phone and look up what to do between the time the elevator fails and it hits the ground?
    You should probably get the altimeter app timmy suggests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Video notes that there has only been one elevator crash because its cable broke- and that was in 1945 when a plane hit the Empire State Building. The only occupant survived a 75 story fall. And more people die on stairs and escalators. But if you take the stairs, it will be better for your long term health.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-25-2016 at 12:37 PM.

Bring a parachute, open the top hatch and pray.

(And yeah I know that's not going to work very well )
    "I am a bird"

How do elevators prevent freefall?

About 224,000 results

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...38.gL42Ov8dxX4

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    How do elevators prevent freefall?

About 224,000 results

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...38.gL42Ov8dxX4
    How do elevators cause pregnancy?

About 3.6 million results.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post

Where's the link? :D

Oh my! I can't imagine myself in that situation. It's creeping me out!

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.5mU_MsHDN0I

*shrugs* It came up with millions the other day for me. I probably left off the question mark or something equally stupid.

My point was that there being a lot of results for something is hardly a ringing endorsement.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    *shrugs* It came up with millions the other day for me. I probably left off the question mark or something equally stupid.

My point was that there being a lot of results for something is hardly a ringing endorsement.
    Or just be very careful and don't sit commando on dirty elevator floors.

New NYC ad campaign: Stay put if you're trapped in elevator

NEW YORK (AP) — New York City is starting an ad campaign that urges people to stay put if they're trapped inside a stalled elevator.

According to the city buildings department, five people died and 51 were injured in elevator accidents last year. The agency says the worst deaths occurred when passengers tried to save themselves.

The Daily News (http://nydn.us/29n9YaW) reports that the "Stay Safe. Stay Put" ad campaign being launched Wednesday encourages elevator passengers to remain calm and push the elevator's alarm button.

Other advice: Don't try to pry open the doors or jump up and down. That could affect the brake system and shift the car. And don't leave the car through any other means until emergency responders arrive.

And don't worry about a free-fall. The buildings department says that just won't happen.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/nyc-ad-ca...602.html?nhp=1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Step 1: Take the stairs.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123