Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Treasury to Announce Harriet Tubman to Replace Jackson on $20 bill

Treasury to Announce Harriet Tubman to Replace Jackson on $20 bill

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...10-bill-222204

Of course... our currency needs 'diversity' too! No matter... I always thought Andrew Jackson on a Federal Reserve Note was ironic and sad.

Treasury Secretary Jack Lew on Wednesday will announce a decision to keep Alexander Hamilton on the front of the $10 bill and put leaders of the movement to give women the right to vote on the back of the bill, sources tell POLITICO.

Treasury will also announce that it plans to replace former President Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill with Harriet Tubman, the sources said. There will also be changes to the $5 bill to depict civil rights era leaders.

Lew's decision comes after he announced last summer that he was considering replacing Hamilton on the $10 bill with a woman. The announcement drew swift rebukes from fans of Hamilton, who helped create the Treasury Department and the modern American financial system. Critics immediately suggested Lew take Jackson off the $20 bill given the former president's role in moving native Americans off their land. Jackson may remain on the $20 bill in some capacity.

Lew told POLITICO last July that Treasury was exploring ways to respond to critics. “There are a number of options of how we can resolve this,” Lew said. “We’re not taking Alexander Hamilton off our currency.”
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Shameful, just shameful. Harriett Tubman wasn't even a President. Our government has no respect for our currency anymore.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Shameful, just shameful. Harriett Tubman wasn't even a President. Our government has no respect for our currency anymore.
    They could at least have chosen an attractive woman.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUglyTruth View Post
    They could at least have chosen an attractive woman.
    Thats thier plan...make it it so ugly that we all go cashless.......
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

this woman helped free the slaves, shame on all of you. and the founders all had their appearances all embellished on their portraits...FWIW

however i dont agree with banishing Jackson, war hero of 1812

Guess money can't be referred to as Dead Presidents anymore. What are we gonna rap about now?

Quote Originally Posted by liveandletlive View Post
    this woman helped free the slaves, shame on all of you.
    Are you saying African-Americans are now free? All they did is trade is trade one owner for another. I guess now you can see they're equal to white Americans as they have the same owner (the state).

Benjamin Franklin was not a president- $100 bill. Only restriction is that a person on money cannot be living. They don't all have to be dead white male presidents. Hamilton ($10 bill) was also not a president.

Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-21-2016 at 02:13 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by liveandletlive View Post
    this woman helped free the slaves, shame on all of you. and the founders all had their appearances all embellished on their portraits...FWIW

however i dont agree with banishing Jackson, war hero of 1812
    Jackson said his greatest accomplishment as president was 'killing' the central bank... his likeness on a federal reserve note is (and always has been) a giant "F_ck you!" to his memory and contribution.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2006/12/7/278792/-

Great article: (SNIP)

The following year, when its charter ran out, the Second Bank of the United States, ceased functioning as the nation's central bank. Biddle was later arrested and charged with fraud. He was tried and acquitted, but died shortly thereafter, while still tied up in civil suits.

After his second term as President, Jackson retired here to the Hermitage outside of Nashville to live out his life. He is still remembered here for his determination to kill the Bank. In fact, he killed it so well that it took the "money changers" 77 years to undo the damage.

When asked what his most important accomplishment had been, Jackson replied, "I killed the Bank."
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

The only reason I care at all is because they have to pay to have new plates for printing made.. just another way to waste money
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

They need to make new plates anyways as old ones wear out. Not a huge expense in the costs of printing notes. The costs are more in the inks and somewhat in the papers. Presidents on US money are pretty rare until the 20th Century.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-20-2016 at 01:12 PM.

Lady Liberty was the one who graced our currency before we became an empire and Liberty was lost.

Well, as you might gather from my handle, I <3 Harriet. That said, I can think of better ways to honor her than branding fiat currency.

Here is a friend's take on it:

"So a gun-totting, liberty minded, female Republican replaces the founder of the modern Democratic party on the $20 dollar bill"

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    Well, as you might gather from my handle, I <3 Harriet. That said, I can think of better ways to honor her than branding fiat currency.
    Yeah, like naming a federal courthouse after her.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Benjamin Franklin was not a president- $100 bill. Only restriction is that a person on money cannot be living. They don't all have to be dead white male presidents.

Are you sure? His name sounds like he could have been a President.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe that will help some to slow down or stop Andy's grave spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    Lady Liberty was the one who graced our currency before we became an empire and Liberty was lost.

Ew. No wonder she was replaced.
    - Kim Kardashian

Ew. No wonder she was replaced.
    I agree, now that's what I call a tub, man.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUglyTruth View Post
    I agree, now that's what I call a tub, man.
    You obviously fail to appreciate The Texan's subtle sarcasm.... read a few more of his posts for reference.

- Diogenes of Sinope

They need to make new plates anyways as old ones wear out. Not a huge expense in the costs of printing notes. The costs are more in the inks and somewhat in the papers. Presidents on US money are pretty rare until the 20th Century.
    I was looking at some 1860's fractional currency today @ the local coin shop . One had a picture of the treasury Sec. I think , one did have Washington.

Au contraire, Zip. The plates are engraved by hand. It is a very painstaking process.

http://www.moneyfactory.gov/uscurren...neyismade.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj4Kk_ykJhU
    Last edited by euphemia; 04-20-2016 at 06:17 PM.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I am 100% for it.

Next up: LINCOLN, GRANT.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray N Rothbard View Post
    I am 100% for it.

Next up: LINCOLN, GRANT.
    Its a shame that our greatest president of all time is on the penny only, a coin no longer used anymore.

Maybe we need to add a new denomination into the currency, to better honor Him.
    - Kim Kardashian

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    The only reason I care at all is because they have to pay to have new plates for printing made.. just another way to waste money
    As I said, it is not cheap or fast to do it. Being done by 2020 is a bit of a stretch, even with an administration that works in a timely way. Money printing is a very interesting process if you use these links:

#NashvilleStrong

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Au contraire, Zip. The plates are engraved by hand. It is a very painstaking process.

http://graphicartsmag.com/articles/2...ting-currency/

Only in the last 12 years has the engraving process become digital and previously all plates were hand-engraved. The new process uses a plastic mould and assembly process for making a full step and repeat master die through heat and pressure. This plastic master is treated with a light coating (conductive agent) and placed into a nickel bath for 14-16 hours where the nickel “grows” or adheres to the plastic master. The Bureau of Engraving and Printing has some of the last siderographers (SID-er-og-ra-phers) in the world, and these individuals bring together each individual intaglio engraving onto a master plate and correct for imperfections. The Bureau has two intaglio presses, including an Intaglio 10 Press, which uses a direct inking system and can produce 8,000 sheets per hour. The second intaglio press is called the Super Orloff, which has an indirect inking system of plate to blanket to engraving.

The plates do eventually need to be replaced, however the variety of Monopoly-looking money in circulation is already ridiculous. Remember George Washington dollar coins? I was a cashier when that was the new thing. People had no idea wtf they were. It went the same with the new colorful money, and the money with the big giant heads. Everything was done under the guise of stopping counterfeiting, except that all it does is confuse the hell out of people.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    The plates do eventually need to be replaced, however the variety of Monopoly-looking money in circulation is already ridiculous. Remember George Washington dollar coins? I was a cashier when that was the new thing. People had no idea wtf they were. It went the same with the new colorful money, and the money with the big giant heads. Everything was done under the guise of stopping counterfeiting, except that all it does is confuse the hell out of people.
    Don't worry "they'll" create authenticating pens for the new money...

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    The Presidential Dollar Coin series have been a huge flop, but it's a mistake carried over from the ill-conceived Sagagawea dollar.

I fully support a dollar coin instead of a bill, but it should be better designed and preferably in silver-colored metal to tie into the old silver dollar coins in wide circulation until the 60s.

It's not cheap or fast. And given the slowness of this administration, it will be well past 2020. I follow money for a hobby. The series 2009 J... $100s are just now hitting circulation. This is 2017. Series are not generated every year, but there have been repeated problems with this particular bill. Part of the problem had to do with the president's slackness in making appointments, and the other had to do with the utter lack of job qualifications of tax cheat Tim Geitnner and now high priest of political correctness Jacob Lew, hence, all the silliness.
    #NashvilleStrong

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast