Thread: Are discriminaton laws "thought crimes"?

Are discriminaton laws "thought crimes"?

It's perfectly legal to hire and fire someone based on certain thoughts (if you don't like the person for example), but it's illegal based on other thoughts (the person is a member of a protected group). Isn't that a thought crime?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If they can catch you thinking about discriminating, probably.

Anti-discrimination laws are thought crimes. The laws are impossible to enforce. Besides all the moral issues with violating free association, they are really bad economics.

Wages across the board are priced similarly to a stock. Anti-discrimination laws create lawsuit risk. So the wages of a protected group like women or the disabled get lowered by some percentage to account for the increased risk of hiring them.

it is ironic that equal pay laws make pay slightly more unequal for women.

I really do not like the way society is now making decisions based on race, sleeping partners, and gender fluidity. It seems that when discrimination is defined based on these three categories, it then creates discrimination based on other criteria. The human race has always been diverse. Clearly some people where mistreated in certain ways, but it seems a very bad idea to make work, political, or business decisions based on such narrow criteria. What is going to happen when business relies on a minority for their livelihood? That doesn't seem like a good thing for their market.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Anti-discrimination laws are thought crimes. The laws are impossible to enforce. Besides all the moral issues with violating free association, they are really bad economics.

Wages across the board are priced similarly to a stock. Anti-discrimination laws create lawsuit risk. So the wages of a protected group like women or the disabled get lowered by some percentage to account for the increased risk of hiring them.

it is ironic that equal pay laws make pay slightly more unequal for women.
    Also there's going to be less jobs overall because of the added cost.

Every time I see a story on racial controversy I get irritated because I know ultimately it's going to be forced upon us at gunpoint. If it weren't for anti discrimination laws (and other redistribution schemes) I'd be a lot more sympathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I really do not like the way society is now making decisions based on race, sleeping partners, and gender fluidity. It seems that when discrimination is defined based on these three categories, it then creates discrimination based on other criteria. The human race has always been diverse. Clearly some people where mistreated in certain ways, but it seems a very bad idea to make work, political, or business decisions based on such narrow criteria. What is going to happen when business relies on a minority for their livelihood? That doesn't seem like a good thing for their market.
    But federal discrimination laws are not based on those three criteria, in fact sleeping partners and gender fluidity are not even mentioned. The federal law reads
    Title VII prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex and national origin
    And for most states, it reads something like

Protection against discrimination based on various factors, such as race, gender, age, marital status, national origin, religion or disability
    Not to beat a dead horse but the criteria in most states is much larger than race, sleeping partners and gender fluidity, so the criteria is actually very wide not narrow. Also, I think the phrase you are looking for is self segregating and discriminatory not diverse. You can be diverse and still not discriminate based on gender, race, age, martial status, national origin, religion, disability etc etc
    Like Krug said, those laws are pretty hard to enforce unless someone comes out and makes it know that is what they are doing. Apart from those rare instances, these laws are just for show. It wouldn't force you as a business owner to hire even one minority.
    Last edited by juleswin; 04-19-2016 at 09:28 AM.

Race discrimination laws have all kinds of bad outcomes. What about when I go to one of these Japanese Hibachi restaurants expecting to see these great "Japanese" knife wizards and instead I see black and Mexican and white guys (and even some girls)? They all are in the correct costumes but the facial features are way off. I feel like I'm getting scammed. I know for sure it's not like that in Japan so it's a totally bogus experience...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Since the individual is the ultimate minority, I think I should be entitled to anything I want at any time. Anyone who is denying me such is discriminating against a minority and should be punished.

Seriously, though. I have always found it completely exhausting trying to classify people. Segmenting them in my mind into this group or that group... It's a constant struggle to try to define people in that manner since no one ever fits neatly into the same box as someone else. At first, it was a little difficult to see each person as an individual, but after awhile, I couldn't believe I used to do it the other way. Such a relief and way easier to be happy.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    Race discrimination laws have all kinds of bad outcomes. What about when I go to one of these Japanese Hibachi restaurants expecting to see these great "Japanese" knife wizards and instead I see black and Mexican and white guys (and even some girls)? They all are in the correct costumes but the facial features are way off. I feel like I'm getting scammed. I know for sure it's not like that in Japan so it's a totally bogus experience...
    Or Hooters.

Another argument I hear is that a business owner loses his rights as soon as he "opens his business to the public".

I hate that. Sadly I hear it quite often in this forum.
    Last edited by Madison320; 04-19-2016 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    Did you realize that you are paying for a cooking style and technique, not the race of the chef? Culinary people are tavelers and they often go other places to train to learn authentic technique.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Did you realize that you are paying for a cooking style and technique, not the race of the chef? Culinary people are tavelers and they often go other places to train to learn authentic technique.
    Believe that if you want. I want to see "authentic" Japanese cooks and waitresses. You are free to pay for what you like...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.