Thread: New Mississippi law allows concealed carry without a permit

New Mississippi law allows concealed carry without a permit

Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant signed the "Church Protection Act" into law Friday.

The law allows church members to act as armed security, as long as they have permits and firearms training. It even permits church members to use deadly force, if need be.

But as WHBQ learned, there's a clause in the law that actually broadens gun owners' rights throughout the state, not just in the church.

Some Mississippi legislators said the bill could have been called the "Mississippi Concealed Carry Law," because it lets law abiding citizens conceal and carry without a permit.

"I have been carrying ever since the law passed for open carry," said Dennis Koontz as he walked around a Horn Lake gun shot. He had a 40-caliber pistol on his side, but he does not have a permit.

Now, under the Church Protection Act, he can conceal the same gun.

The interpretation comes from the closing lines of the new law. It reads as follows:

"A license under this section is not required for a loaded or unloaded pistol or revolver to be carried upon the person in a sheath, belt holster, shoulder holster or in a purse or handbag."

"I think the Second Amendment gives us a right to carry weapons," Koontz said. "We shouldn't have to get a permit or (be) paying anybody to do something."

Some gun owners in the Magnolia State disagreed. They said not requiring a permit is a bad idea.

"It shows that you accomplished something," Derek Hinds said of permits.

"That is your permit. It is just like a driver's license," gun owner James Clark said. "That permit goes to you. It would cover your backside."

The truth, we learned from legislators, is that getting a basic conceal carry permit in Mississippi has always been fairly easy.

You pay the money, you pass the background check and you get the permit. No training is required.

The new law does not take effect on July 1, like some others. It was written in such a way that it takes effect immediately.

Legislators said they hope that by encouraging more people to conceal carry, more people will apply for enhanced carry permits that require extensive class work and training. And in turn, those people will be allowed to carry concealed in most places in the state.
    http://www.wsbtv.com/news/trending-n...rmit/220412375
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I might have to rethink adding Mississippi to the property hunting list
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

You may want to wait a bit for all of the yahoos to all kill each other off, before visting Mississippi.

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    "[Getting a permit] shows that you accomplished something," ?? Yeah, sure, but what does that have to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    "[Getting a permit] shows that you accomplished something," ?? Yeah, sure, but what does that have to do with anything?
    FWIW, in Oklahoma, I had to take an 8 hr class, pass a written test and a shooting test, in order to get my CCP. It wasn't all that tough, but I did learn a thing or three in the process.

There was also a criminal back ground check by the sheriff and an FBI fingerprint check, required. Cost about $100 overall, and it's only good for 10 years. Now we also have an open carry option for the CCP folks.
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 04-16-2016 at 01:30 PM.

Like a participation prize permit, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Approval, pride, belonging.

What a feeling. 'Cause bullets, tyranny, and feelings yo.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Accomplishing something doesn't necessarily imply that it's a good thing. It certainly accomplishes something; acquiring a permit.
    "I am a bird"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am proud to say I played a very small part in this!
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I would like to see the exact wording of this new law. So far what I've seen above is a bit confusing as it seems that you can only "carry" in a Church?? What about walking down the street or shopping somewhere?

Some Mississippi legislators said the bill could have been called the "Mississippi Concealed Carry Law," because it lets law abiding citizens conceal and carry without a permit.
    Ok, am I the only one who sees a problem with this? You don't need a law to allow people their natural rights. You just need to repeal any law that got in the way of it. By creating a law dictating what the government lets you do, they are really saying that the government has the right to dictate.

I mean, I suppose it's better than the alternative, but there's some really unfortunate language there.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Ok, am I the only one who sees a problem with this? You don't need a law to allow people their natural rights. You just need to repeal any law that got in the way of it. By creating a law dictating what the government lets you do, they are really saying that the government has the right to dictate.

I mean, I suppose it's better than the alternative, but there's some really unfortunate language there.
    *Darn*
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CaptUSA again.
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

I haven't read this one specifically, but that is pretty much what all the Constitutional Carry bills do... repeal the clauses that require a permit to carry
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Man, you said it. I cringe every time I hear somebody use the word "permit." People on Yahoo are constantly asking questions about concealed carry, referring to it as a "permit." I might expect it there because these people can't even do a simple internet search. I do however, see the term used on gun forums.

I think RPF member Ronin had a good quote from Confucius about how words and language shape culture and attitudes, but I can't remember it right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Man, you said it. I cringe every time I hear somebody use the word "permit." People on Yahoo are constantly asking questions about concealed carry, referring to it as a "permit." I might expect it there because these people can't even do a simple internet search. I do however, see the term used on gun forums.

I think RPF member Ronin had a good quote from Confucius about how words and language shape culture and attitudes, but I can't remember it right now.
    "When words lose their meaning, people will lose their liberty." -- Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    I might have to rethink adding Mississippi to the property hunting list
    FWIW, I've spent 3 weeks at the coast and 2 weeks in central Mississippi. Both locations exceeded my expectations. Not sure why MS has a bad rep, but IME it is undeserved. It has it's rough areas, but every state has those. The three weeks I spent at the coast were in June, and to me the heat & humidity was borderline intolerable - that's the only negative thing I have to say about the state. (The time I spent at the coast was pre-Katrina, btw.)

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post

Joking, right??
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    Joking, right??
    I assume Confucius meant it when he said it. <shrug>

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Thanks!
    You're welcome!