Thread: Dilma Rousseff Targeted in Brazil by Lawmakers Facing Scandals of Their Own

Dilma Rousseff Targeted in Brazil by Lawmakers Facing Scandals of Their Own

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/15/wo...their-own.html

BRASÍLIA — Paulo Maluf, a Brazilian congressman, is so badly besieged by his own graft scandals that his constituents often describe him with the slogan “Rouba mas faz.” Translation: He steals but gets it done.

But like an array of other scandal-plagued members of Brazil’s Congress, Mr. Maluf says he is so fed up with all the corruption in the country that he supports ousting President Dilma Rousseff.

“I’m against all the dubious horse-trading this government does,” said Mr. Maluf, 84, a former Săo Paulo mayor who faces charges in the United States that he stole more than $11.6 million in a kickback scheme.

The drive to impeach Ms. Rousseff is gaining momentum. A pivotal vote to send her case to the Senate for a possible trial is expected over the weekend, and several of the political parties in her governing coalition abandoned her this week, leaving her especially vulnerable.

But some of the most vocal lawmakers pushing to impeach Ms. Rousseff are facing serious charges of graft, electoral fraud and human rights abuses, uncorking a national debate about hypocrisy among Brazil’s leaders.

“Dilma may have dug her own grave by not delivering on what she promised, but she is untainted in a political realm smeared with excrement from top to bottom,” said Mario Sergio Conti, a columnist for the newspaper Folha de S. Paulo. “She didn’t steal, but a gang of thieves is judging her.”

Ms. Rousseff is deeply resented in Brazil, having presided over the worst economic crisis in decades, a huge corruption scandal engulfing the national oil company and the fall of millions of middle-class Brazilians into poverty.

In the impeachment case, she is not facing charges of graft. Instead, she is accused of using money from giant public banks to cover budget gaps, damaging Brazil’s economic credibility.

Ms. Rousseff, then, is something of a rarity among Brazil’s major political figures: She has not been accused of stealing for herself.

Eduardo Cunha, the powerful speaker of the lower house who is leading the impeachment effort, is going on trial at the country’s highest court, the Supreme Federal Tribunal, on charges that he pocketed as much as $40 million in bribes. Mr. Cunha, an evangelical Christian radio commentator and economist who regularly issues Twitter messages quoting from the Bible, is accused of laundering the gains through an evangelical megachurch.

Vice President Michel Temer, who is expected to take over if Ms. Rousseff is forced to step aside, has been accused of involvement in an illegal ethanol-purchasing scheme.

Renan Calheiros, the Senate leader, who is also on the presidential succession chain, is under investigation over claims that he received bribes in the giant scandal surrounding the national oil company, Petrobras. He has also been accused of tax evasion and of allowing a lobbyist to pay child support for a daughter from an extramarital affair.

Altogether, 60 percent of the 594 members of Brazil’s Congress face serious charges like bribery, electoral fraud, illegal deforestation, kidnapping and homicide, according to Transparency Brazil, a corruption-monitoring group.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Is the U.S. Backing Rousseff's Ouster in Brazil? Opposition Holds Talks in D.C. for 3 days

Is the U.S. Backing Rousseff's Ouster in Brazil? Opposition Holds Talks in D.C. for 3 days:

Brazil’s lower house of Congress on Sunday voted to impeach the country’s President, Dilma Rousseff, sending the removal process to the Senate. In an act of unintended though rich symbolism, the House member who pushed impeachment over the 342-vote threshold was Dep. Bruno Araújo, himself implicated by a document indicating he may have received illegal funds from the construction giant at the heart of the nation’s corruption scandal. Even more significantly, Araújo belongs to the center-right party PSDB, whose nominees have lost four straight national elections to Rousseff’s moderate-left PT party, with the last ballot-box defeat being delivered just 18 months ago, when 54 million Brazilians voted to re-elect Dilma as president.

Those two facts about Araújo underscore the unprecedentedly surreal nature of yesterday’s proceedings in Brasília, capital of the world’s fifth largest country. Politicians and parties which have spent two decades trying, and failing, to defeat PT in democratic elections triumphantly marched forward to effectively overturn the 2014 vote by removing Dilma on grounds that, as today’s New York Times report makes clear, are, at best, dubious in the extreme. Even The Economist, which has long despised the PT and its anti-poverty programs and which wants Dilma to resign, has argued that “in the absence of proof of criminality, impeachment is unwarranted” and it “looks like a pretext for ousting an unpopular president.”

Sunday’s proceedings, conducted in the name of combatting corruption, were presided over by one of the democratic world’s most blatantly corrupt politicians, House speaker Eduardo Cunha, who was recently discovered to have stashed millions of dollars in secret Swiss Bank accounts that have no possible non-corrupt source and who lied under oath when he denied to Congressional investigators that he had foreign bank accounts. Of the 594 members of the House, as The Globe and Mail reported yesterday, “318 are under investigation or face charges” while their target, President Rousseff, “herself faces no allegation of financial impropriety.”

Many on the Brazilian left believe that the US is actively engineering the current instability in their country in order to get rid of a left-wing party that has relied heavily on trade with China, and instead usher in a more pro-business, pro-US government which could never win an election on its own.

Although no real evidence has emerged proving this theory, a little-publicized trip to the US this week by a key Brazilian opposition leader will likely fuel those concerns. Today – the day after the impeachment vote – Sen. Aloysio Nunes of the PSDB will be in Washington to undertake three days of meetings with various US officials as well as with lobbyists and assorted influence-peddlers close to Clinton and other leading political figures.

AMY GOODMAN: I wanted to ask Andrew Fishman about the role of former secretary of state under President Bill Clinton, Madeleine Albright, and also the CEO of Kellogg Corporation.

ANDREW FISHMAN: Yes. Senator Aloysio Nunes is in Washington. Yesterday, he was hosted in a private luncheon by the Albright Stonebridge Group, which is Madeleine Albright’s firm, and the former CEO of Kellogg is also the co-chair of the firm. We’ve tried to get in contact with them. We asked them who would be attending. They said it’s a closed-door meeting, with no media access, for Washington political leaders and for business leaders. One of the—one of the senior advisers affiliated with the Albright Stonebridge Group has been—is the leader of an organization down here that’s very involved in the push against the Dilma government. And so, as Mark was saying, it seems that while the U.S. government hasn’t made any official stance on their opinion with—in terms of Lula and Dilma and impeachment, it seems pretty obvious as to what their stance is and which side they’re supporting or would support.

Last edited by charrob; 04-20-2016 at 09:05 PM.

I stood next to that duck while impeachment votes were being announced.

Here's the deal:

No one here is under any delusion that any of the parties are free of corruption.

Dilma has not been charged with any crimes, but she was head of the board of directors at Petrobras while all of the theft was occurring.

The fact that she is being ousted on a "technicality" is neither here nor there.

The fact that she is being ousted by people who are also corrupt is also of very little practical significance.

What matters is that the people of this country who are not total communists have been able to hold the party that is currently in power accountable.
    Donald Trump > SJW ass-tears

Gotta love how the commies at "Democracy Now" want to call it a "coup" when more than 2/3rds of the Congress (representatives of the people) have made this decision.

I guess that "democracy" only matters to commies when it suits them...

Quote Originally Posted by Petar View Post
    I stood next to that duck while impeachment votes were being announced.

Here's the deal:

No one here is under any delusion that any of the parties are free of corruption.

Dilma has not been charged with any crimes, but she was head of the board of directors at Petrobras while all of the theft was occurring.

The fact that she is being ousted on a "technicality" is neither here nor there.

The fact that she is being ousted by people who are also corrupt is also of very little practical significance.

What matters is that the people of this country who are not total communists have been able to hold the party that is currently in power accountable.

Petar, my biggest issue is that the day after the impeachment the U.S. government was already involved in 3 full days of meetings that were already setup with the opposition. I strongly believe in self-determination of other countries and believe it is wrong for the U.S. to be pushing things and intervening in other countries affairs.

By the way, the original article at the top of my post was from the page of the Ron Paul Institute (click on the link at the top of my post). So is Ron Paul a ""commie"" too because this issue was discussed on his site? It was precisely _that_ article that was being discussed on the Democracy Now video that you condemned.

I don't know the details but from what has been stated, Dilma's so-called "crimes" are not impeachable. We all have presidents who we do not like -- it doesn't mean legally these presidents can be impeached. I mean Obamacare has been proven to be a disaster, but does that mean the people of the U.S. can impeach Obama for this? The Pentagon has "lost" millions of taxpayer dollars in Iraq: does that mean Obama can be impeached for that? From what I am seeing, most of the people going after Dilma are the very ones who are completely corrupt and the ones who should be impeached from their congressional roles. It seems wrong that those who are completely corrupt are voting to impeach someone who is innocent of that corruption. But that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by charrob; 04-20-2016 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by charrob View Post
    Petar, my biggest issue is that the day after the impeachment the U.S. government was already involved in 3 full days of meetings that were already setup with the opposition. I strongly believe in self-determination of other countries and believe it is wrong for the U.S. to be pushing things and intervening in other countries affairs.

By the way, the original article at the top of my post was from the page of the Ron Paul Institute. So is Ron Paul a ""commie"" too because this issue was discussed on his site?

I don't know the details but from what has been stated, Dilma's so-called "crimes" are not impeachable. We all have presidents who we do not like -- it doesn't mean legally these presidents can be impeached. I mean Obamacare has been proven to be a disaster, but does that mean the people of the U.S. can impeach Obama for this? The Pentagon has "lost" millions of taxpayer dollars in Iraq: does that mean Obama can be impeached for that? From what I am seeing, most of the people going after Dilma are the ones who are completely corrupt and the ones who should be impeached from their congressional roles. It seems wrong that those who are completely corrupt are voting to impeach someone who is innocent of that corruption. But that's just my opinion.
    Washington is going to meddle no matter what, but I don't believe that whatever they are up to really is the driving force behind Dilma's impeachment.

Anyone here who is not a total commie is just completely sick and tired of the Worker's Party, and one thing that operation "Lava Jato" revealed is the extent of their (along with every other party's) corruption.

If Dilma had not been chairman of the board of Petrobras at the time that the corruption had occurred, then it's possible that she would not have dug her own grave by this point.

The Congress has found a technicality, but the reason that they have found this technicality is because the people have been consistently taking to the streets en-masse.

I would not say that Ron Paul is a commie, but I would say that his institute seems to only be interested in pinning the ills of the whole planet on Washington and NATO.

The world just is not that simple.

And why should Americans not have taken to the streets and demanded Obama's impeachment for his crimes agains the Constitution (such as Obamacare?).

Screw democracy, the turds need to be flushed!

Also, it's not like Cunha (the guy leading the opposition) is out of the woods himself...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petar View Post
    Also, it's not like Cunha (the guy leading the opposition) is out of the woods himself...
    They should vote in one of your tranny friends.

Quote Originally Posted by TheUglyTruth View Post
    They should vote in one of your tranny friends.
    No they shouldn't.