Thread: Why is Bernie Sanders in Vatican City not New York City?

Why is Bernie Sanders in Vatican City not New York City?

Why is Bernie Sanders in Vatican City not New York City?
    By Elizabeth Landers - Fri April 15, 2016

Vatican City (CNN) - Days before the critical New York primary, one Democratic presidential candidate is somewhere he can't rack up any last-minute primary votes.

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders is at the Vatican to address a conference on social, economic and environmental issues.
    Sanders began his 15-minute speech to the Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences with a showing of solidarity and admiration for Pope Francis, emphasizing their agreement on economic justice.

"There are few places in modern thought that rival the depth and insight of the Church's moral teachings on the market economy," Sanders said, a topic which he himself has been speaking about during the presidential race for months.

His speech Friday largely echoed his regular remarks on the campaign trail in the United States: that the concentration of wealth is in too few hands and the middle class is disappearing.

"We can say that with unregulated globalization, a world market economy built on speculative finance burst through the legal, political and moral constraints that had once served to protect the common good," he said.
    The Sanders campaign rejects the notion that there is any political motivation behind the trip, instead saying the conference is an opportunity for the senator to spread his message of economic inequality.
    Sanders, though, didn't refrain from trumpeting the news on the campaign trail.
    "It goes without saying that I have my strong disagreements with certain aspects what the church stands for but (Pope Francis) has been out there talking about the need for a moral economy," Sanders said to a crowd of a little more than a thousand, who cheered when Sanders announced his trip.
    When asked if it was a smart move to take 36 hours to travel out of the country ahead of one of the most important primary elections in the campaign cycle, Weaver took aim at Sanders' opponent, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

"Hillary Clinton has been out of the state on a number of occasions for high-dollar fundraisers," he said. "We think this is a more important reason to leave the campaign trail for the day."

Bill Press, a Sanders support and CNN political commentator, put it more colorfully: "He may be leaving the state to see the Pope Francis. She is leaving the state to see the Pope George Clooney in California ... So both of them are leaving the state.
    Sanders has heavily praised Pope Francis in the past, telling CNN in September he considered him "one of the great moral and religious leaders of our time and in modern history."
    Lorenza Giammelli, 74, an Italian-American from Syracuse, is a practicing Catholic and a Bernie supporter. In her eyes, the trip is "wonderful."
    "I think it's a very smart move," she said. "I think it's good for the Pope, it's good for (Bernie), too.
    More: http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/15/politi...vatican-visit/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As Bernie Sanders Heads to Vatican, a Visit With Pope Francis Seems in Doubt
    By JASON HOROWITZ - APRIL 15, 2016

On the campaign trail and in Congress, Senator Bernie Sanders has frequently invoked Pope Francis, quoting his writings about the “idolatry of money,” sending solicitations for donations headlined “Why we must listen to Pope Francis” and praising the pope as a “radical” for “speaking out with courage and brilliance about some of the most important issues facing our world.”

Someone was listening. On Friday, Mr. Sanders was scheduled to fly to Rome to address the Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences, in effect the Vatican’s in-house think tank on social, economic and environmental issues.

“We invited the candidate who cites the pope the most in his campaign, and that is Senator Bernie Sanders,” said Bishop Marcelo Sánchez Sorondo, the academy’s chancellor.

Monsignor Sánchez Sorondo, an Argentine who is close to the pope, said that Mr. Sanders’s focus on climate change and his attention to poor people on the margins of society were “very analogous to that of the pope.” He said that made the Vermont senator an obvious person to invite to Friday’s conference, which celebrates the 25th anniversary of an encyclical by Pope John Paul II about the potential pitfalls of the market economy after the fall of the Berlin Wall.
    Among the dozens of academics who belong to the academy are the prominent economists and Sanders allies Joseph E. Stiglitz and Jeffrey D. Sachs. Mr. Sachs conferred with the pope in advance of his encyclical on the environment last year, which called for sweeping political and economic reforms to address climate change.

Reached in Vienna, where he was en route to the Vatican conference, Mr. Sachs, who is a foreign policy adviser to Mr. Sanders, said he was involved in the invitation, but only as a messenger. The Vatican, he said, “reached out to me to ask me how they could reach him. And I said I was happy to forward the invitation to him. Which I did.”
    “The takeaway for 125 years now is the church favors a market economy but one that operates within moral standards,” he said.

Pope John Paul II, a critical figure in the opening up of Eastern Europe, warned in 1991 of the eroding of worker rights, the rising inequality of income, and the ecological disasters that could result from a purely profit-driven economy.
    More: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/16/us...s-vatican.html
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 04-15-2016 at 10:25 AM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

This was a good line...

When asked if it was a smart move to take 36 hours to travel out of the country ahead of one of the most important primary elections in the campaign cycle, Weaver took aim at Sanders' opponent, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

"Hillary Clinton has been out of the state on a number of occasions for high-dollar fundraisers," he said. "We think this is a more important reason to leave the campaign trail for the day."

Bill Press, a Sanders support and CNN political commentator, put it more colorfully: "He may be leaving the state to see the Pope Francis. She is leaving the state to see the Pope George Clooney in California ... So both of them are leaving the state.

Atheists and Jesuits have a lot in common with each other, I'm surprised that Bernie hadn't already been over there to pal around with the current Son of Perdition when he first ascended to the position several years ago.

The Pope admitted to "greeting" Bernie.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Pandering for NY Catholic votes, with the assistance of a brother Marxist?

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic