Thread: High school wants to shut down off-campus 'Jesus Lunch'

High school wants to shut down off-campus 'Jesus Lunch'

I highlighted the parts where the skrool is twisting themselves in knots over this:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/...sus-lunch.html

There’s a religious liberty standoff underway in Middleton, Wisconsin.

On one side is a group of Christian moms armed with Chick-fil-A sandwiches and 400 homemade brownies. On the other side are public school administrators who believe that Jesus and plump juicy chicken breasts are “divisive.”

The controversy surrounds an off-campus lunch event involving students at Middleton High School known as “Jesus Lunch.”

The high school allows students to eat lunch off-campus. In 2014 a small group of parents began meeting with their children in a nearby park — providing home cooked meals along with a Christian-themed, inspirational message.

The small weekly gatherings in the fall and spring eventually morphed into a popular gathering spot for hungry kids — with nearly 500 turning out for all sorts of goodies — ranging from Chick-fil-A sandwiches and fresh fruit to hundreds of homemade brownies.

“We show up every week just to show the love of Jesus,” parent Beth Williams told me. “Our mission statement for Jesus Lunch is ‘food for the body, nutrition for the soul.’”

Superintendent Donald Johnson and Principal Stephen Plank called the off-campus religious gatherings “divisive” and they want the weekly non-denominational meetings shut down.

“We believe that religious or political events do not have a place in our school or on our campus, except when sponsored by a student group in accordance with our rules, which require prior approval,” the pair wrote in an email sent to parents on April 12.

The district accused the moms of violating all sorts of rules — especially in the area of food preparation. They implied the parents are putting their children in danger by hosting the weekly picnics.

“The policies in question include food handling, visitors to campus, and expectations around student organized events,” the administrators wrote. “We are in no way interested in opposing religious practice in otherwise legal circumstances.”

The district said parents are ignoring “food handling standards.”

“Food of any kind that is served to students must be approved by the school/district to ensure food safety, cleanliness and health,” they wrote. “In addition, many students are subject to food allergies, so additional protocols must be followed to safeguard students with these conditions.”

I grew up in the Deep South. Had a school administrator slandered the great homemakers in my town like they did in Middleton -- they would’ve been facing a mob armed with cast iron skillets.

“These are mothers,” attorney Phillip Stamman told me. “they are spending all their time and effort to show love for these kids and now they are being attacked by a superintendent and principal — trying to intimidate them.”

Stamman is representing the moms as they figure out how to respond to the school district’s hostility towards home-cooking and Jesus.

“The [school district] is going after them because they are spreading a religious message,” Stamman tells me. “They are upset because they are sharing Christianity.”

The attorney has a valid point. What if it had been a gathering of students protected under “non-discrimination laws”? I suspect the district would not only have approved the gathering -- but also endorsed it.

And their argument over the safety of the food is a bit of a stretch. The district doesn’t seem to have a problem with kids going to McDonalds or Taco Bell. So why are they so bothered by youngsters gathering off campus in a public park?

Well, the district is arguing that the public park is technically off campus. They have a lease agreement with the city that allows them to use the park during school hours. So the district contends the moms and their offspring are technically on school property.

“The parents contend that it is their First Amendment Right to provide free food and hold a religiously oriented event on this property during school hours,” the administrators wrote. “The District believes that we have jurisdiction of this leased property, which is part of our campus.”

The moms believe that even though there is a lease agreement — that doesn’t make the public space off-limits.

“Fireman's Park -- a public park owned by the City of Middleton -- remains accessible to everyone in the public for the purposes of assembly and free speech,” they wrote in a statement. “By law, the lease agreement between the city and the School District of Middleton does not privatize the park. The City of Middleton has sent us a letter this week and acknowledged our rental agreement of the pavilion at Fireman's Park.”

So hence, the standoff — between the goodhearted moms and a bunch of public school administrative bullies who don’t under the concept of free speech or religious liberty.

I suspect the principal and superintendent are about to discover a valuable life lesson. You don’t tug on Superman’s cape and you don’t mess with a bunch of moms armed with homemade brownies.
    In otherwise legal circumstances
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If it's off campus, just tell the school to take a hike.

government skool - why would one expect anything less?
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

"The high school allows students to eat lunch off-campus."

That's their real problem.
    I compiled a "brief" history of events since October 2008 that are defining the global currency war and the role that gold is playing:

Tin Foil Hats, Economic Reality and the Total Perspective Vortex

Also, have you contacted your Congressional Rep and asked them co-sponsor Ron Paul's Rep. Paul Broun Jr.'s HR 1098 77: Free Competition in Currencies Act?

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post

"And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    If it's off campus, just tell the school to take a hike.
    It's obviously a typo. The district's saying it has a lease on the park, so it's technically on campus. But this doesn't make any sense -- if it's a public park the moms and the students have just as much right to use it as the district does. The food preparation objection is nonsense.

We weren't allowed to eat lunch off campus when I was in high school;
    so I always snuck off campus for lunch.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

We were allowed to eat off campus.

“Food of any kind that is served to students must be approved by the school/district to ensure food safety, cleanliness and health,” they wrote.
    Nothing says food safety, cleanliness and health like a high school cafeteria.

“In addition, many students are subject to food allergies, so additional protocols must be followed to safeguard students with these conditions.”
    I would hope a high school kid with allergies would have the good sense to not eat something that could cause a reaction. These aren't toddlers we're talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    We weren't allowed to eat lunch off campus when I was in high school;
    so I always snuck off campus for lunch.
    At my school you had to be a senior, they had people checking student IDs at the exit.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    government skool - why would one expect anything less?
    Yes.

This was never an issue in my church/area churches/parents supported Christian grade school and high school where we brought our own lunches.

Christians worried about this should figure out what happens when they expect a supposedly secular institution with a gun to respect their faith and choices.

The world is supposed to hate Christians, hello. This includes what naturally occurs in "government".
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Reason number 64,359 to home school.

“Food of any kind that is served to students must be approved by the school/district to ensure food safety, cleanliness and health,” they wrote. “In addition, many students are subject to food allergies, so additional protocols must be followed to safeguard students with these conditions.”

I suspect the principal and superintendent are about to discover a valuable life lesson. You don’t tug on Superman’s cape and you don’t mess with a bunch of moms armed with homemade brownies.
    Yeah right...until the school sends these guys to clear their asses out.

I can't think of anything more boring than a "Jesus Lunch", they should just let them do it.

The college I went to had a famous street where there would be dozens of parties on any Friday or Saturday night right on the cliffs of the ocean. Good times. Some years ago they decided to start shutting down parties on that street and pushing them throughout other areas in the town. One of the reasons was that once in a while someone would get drunk and fall off the cliff - usually an out of town person - and in fact the one that really got them to clamp down was a very pretty girl from out of town who came to party with her friends. Her friends claimed that she said she needed to use the restroom and went off - right after the cops came to bust up the party. She was never found.

Since I spent many years there I can tell you what probably happened. The fences around the patios there are usually about 3 feet high. She probably went down to the next patio, which was probably empty. Then she probably skipped over the fence into the bushes next to the cliffs to urinate. She was an outdoorsy girl and would have been totally comfortable with this. Then she probably saw the cops coming to break up the party and got scared that she was going to be cited for public urination and tried to hide - at that point she probably fell off the cliff. I am damn near certain the cops practically chased this girl off the cliff, to shut down a party for no reason, which they had been doing a lot of where there was 'public access' because they were trying to cut down on underage drinking - but what that did was it made people start shuttering off their houses and locking them up so people couldn't come in, otherwise they could be ticketed by police.

In fact due to the new policy against "open parties" that "served alcohol" the police were sending college student looking agents around with empty 18 packs on their shoulders to try and get into anywhere people were drinking - if they let them in, they would bust it up. When I went there, you could often go into people's houses and apartments and use their restroom, because there were usually random people over partying at most of these places. As the police were putting a stop to this, public urination became more common. The town became less friendly and open. More cliques and private parties ruined the atmosphere. All these restrictions led to this girl's death, which then lead to an even heavier hand in enforcement.

So now the parties still happen, but they don't happen as much on that beach front street anymore - but what does happen on that beach front street is the Jesus freaks come out and have a BBQ - they serve free "Jesus Burgers". I happened to drive by a few weeks ago at around 11:30pm... it was the saddest site I've ever seen.. Expecting to see people out partying and having a good time since there were plenty of people out partying that night, all I see a bunch of college students, presumably sober, standing around looking at each other's feet, quietly, no music.. giant plumes of smoke coming up from the BBQ.. the rest of the street was practically vacant.. It makes me so sad that the students aren't able to experience all the good times my friends, my community and I had in the years I spent there.

The End.
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Expecting to see people out partying and having a good time since there were plenty of people out partying that night, all I see a bunch of college students, presumably sober, standing around looking at each other's feet, quietly, no music.. giant plumes of smoke coming up from the BBQ.. the rest of the street was practically vacant.. It makes me so sad that the students aren't able to experience all the good times my friends, my community and I had in the years I spent there.

The End.
    The End is $#@!ing right.

Oh, and that BBQ smoke?

Banned.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-BAN-IT!!-quot
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 04-15-2016 at 01:14 PM.

If this was an LGBT event teaching kids off campus (or on campus) how to use sex toys the school admins would be all for it cause....tolerance. Same if it was instructions on Islam or Judaism.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    If this was an LGBT event teaching kids off campus (or on campus) how to use sex toys the school admins would be all for it cause....tolerance. Same if it was instructions on Islam or Judaism.
    Yup that they would.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    That, right there ^^^^^, is just a glorified Lunchable. Without the little pouch of fruit punch.
    #NashvilleStrong

Make it a muslim luncheon where no pork is served ... Or a buddhist vegetarian lunch. Or jewish.

This needs to be slapped down into the dirt hard, fast, and in the meanest way imaginable. Those school admins need to limp away from this bitterly sore with the awareness of just what impossible scummy low-lives they are.
    Through lives and lives shalt thou pay, O' king.

Freedom will be stolen from you in a heartbeat if you do not behave as a wild and ravening beast pursuant to its protection.

"Government" is naught but a mental construct, a script to which people meekly accept and play out their assigned roles by those with no authority to dictate such.

Pray for reset.

Care to explain this in some detail, that we may make sense of your position?

Freedom will be stolen from you in a heartbeat if you do not behave as a wild and ravening beast pursuant to its protection.

"Government" is naught but a mental construct, a script to which people meekly accept and play out their assigned roles by those with no authority to dictate such.

Pray for reset.

I'm guessing they also advocate for a longer school calendar, longer school hours.. maybe even barbed wire fences.

I went to a public high school that did not allow students off campus during the school day. Parents knew where their kids would be during the school day. Parents had a measure of control over the school system - the admin is responsive when parents get involved. Had my school allowed kids to leave during lunch, there would have been a lot more problems with drugs (and kids making really poor choices).

My comment was not specific to the circumstances of the "Jesus lunch". I don't care about that one way or another. If parents are bitching about it to the administration, you are going to get a response like what is described in the OP. The situation is entirely avoidable by keeping the kids on campus. This isn't a liberty issue IMO. Local issue is local.
    I compiled a "brief" history of events since October 2008 that are defining the global currency war and the role that gold is playing:

Tin Foil Hats, Economic Reality and the Total Perspective Vortex

Also, have you contacted your Congressional Rep and asked them co-sponsor Ron Paul's Rep. Paul Broun Jr.'s HR 1098 77: Free Competition in Currencies Act?

IParents had a measure of control over the school system - the admin is responsive when parents get involved.
    No they aren't. Parents across the nation, for example, have had a cow about "common core". The schools have not been responsive, save perhaps to politely suggest to parents to screw off.

Not sure what planet it is to which all this responsiveness can be found, but it is not planet America.

Pray for reset.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I went to a public high school that did not allow students off campus during the school day. Parents knew where their kids would be during the school day. Parents had a measure of control over the school system - the admin is responsive when parents get involved. Had my school allowed kids to leave during lunch, there would have been a lot more problems with drugs (and kids making really poor choices).

My comment was not specific to the circumstances of the "Jesus lunch". I don't care about that one way or another. If parents are bitching about it to the administration, you are going to get a response like what is described in the OP. The situation is entirely avoidable by keeping the kids on campus. This isn't a liberty issue IMO. Local issue is local.
    Sounds like AmeriKa to me.

Lock you up to prevent bad life choices.

Freedom!

I reread the article and didn't see where the school district claimed there had been complaints from other parents. I feel certain that would've been brought up if there had been.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

This place is about on the West side of Madison . Madison is the defacto commie capital of the entire area. So , naturally godless commies would be opposed to Jesus lunch and probably any other lunch not paid for by taxpayers .