Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Ted Cruz fought to outlaw dildos in Texas

Lightbulb Why Ted Cruz fought to outlaw dildos in Texas

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Cruz's legal team tried to ban "obscene device" sales

LOL. What a free marketer -

The brief insisted that Texas, in order to protect "public morals," had "police-power interests" in "discouraging prurient interests in sexual gratification, combating the commercial sale of sex, and protecting minors." There was a "government" interest, it maintained, in "discouraging…autonomous sex." The brief compared the use of sex toys to "hiring a willing prostitute or engaging in consensual bigamy," and it equated advertising these products with the commercial promotion of prostitution. In perhaps the most noticeable line of the brief, Cruz's office declared, "There is no substantive-due-process right to stimulate one's genitals for non-medical purposes unrelated to procreation or outside of an interpersonal relationship." That is, the pursuit of such happiness had no constitutional standing. And the brief argued there was no "right to promote dildos, vibrators, and other obscene devices." The plaintiffs, it noted, were "free to engage in unfettered noncommercial speech touting the uses of obscene devices," but not speech designed to generate the sale of these items.
    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...-devices-texas

How is a vibrator a threat to public morals?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    "There is no substantive-due-process right to stimulate one's genitals for non-medical purposes unrelated to procreation or outside of an interpersonal relationship" - Ted Cruz Legal Brief
    You can't make this $#@! up.

Freedom for All! *(Conditions Apply)

To hell with Social Justice Warriors and their shennanigans
    Last edited by jllundqu; 04-13-2016 at 03:42 PM.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Duplicate thread
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

- Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Duplicate thread
    Yep, Collins beat me by a minute.

Ted wanted to remain the only dildo in Texas $#@!ing his people.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    Yep, Collins beat me by a minute.
    But he didn't post a teaser. You win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

"There is no substantive-due-process right to stimulate one's genitals for non-medical purposes unrelated to procreation or outside of an interpersonal relationship."
    So it's cool if I let my husband use it on me?
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

BTW, according to trump trolls this site is full of Cruz supporters. The RPF Cruz brigade should be jumping on this thread any minute to defend their man. Waiting...
    Last edited by undergroundrr; 04-13-2016 at 04:05 PM.

So Ted Cruz is all about Freedom.... as long as it doesn't affect his personal religious beliefs... then $#@! freedom because, Jesus.

- Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    BTW, according to trump trolls this site is full of Cruz supporters. The RPF Cruz brigade should be jumping on this thread any minute to defend their man. Waiting...
    Not a member of the Cruz brigade, but Reason offered the obvious defense:

This is all fun stuff and will no doubt lead to some very clever jokes on The Daily Show. But there were also some very serious legal questions at stake. Namely, what limits does the U.S. Constitution place on the legislative power of state governments, and what role do federal judges play in enforcing those limits? Related to that, what sort of unenumerated rights (if any) are protected from state infringement by the 14th Amendment?

Cruz's argument in this case will be instantly familiar to every student of constitutional law, and it goes like this: The 14th Amendment is not a limitless fount of unwritten rights and it is not a blank check authorizing federal judges to overturn every state law they happen to find obnoxious or outdated. The states have always enjoyed broad authority to regulate in the name of health, safety, and public morals (so the argument goes) and the sex toy ban falls squarely within the scope of that longstanding state police power. If the people of Texas don't like the law, they should take their complaint to the ballot box, not to the federal courthouse.
    I would add this originated with Mother Jones, and it is always interesting how in the eyes of the left, the Constitution allows things like bans on large cups of soda and "assault weapons", but advertising sex toys on neon billboards is a Constitutional right.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Not a member of the Cruz brigade, but Reason offered the obvious defense:
    Exactly... Cruz was trying to say that the federal government had zero authority to overturn Texas law on the issue... which I happen to agree with
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Cruz wasn't exactly wrong. He was defending the Texas law against the illegal federal interference with it. That said, the Texas law was insane and Cruz should have STFU. This makes Cruz look very stupid, even though he was technically correct. This makes Cruz look like a Muslim extremist and completely out of touch with even 1970s America. I don't take a personal position, but clearly this would rightfully hurt Cruz in a general election.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cruz has a good point. The same reasons used to outlaw prostitution can and should be used to outlaw dildos, vibrators, insertable fruit, etc.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

I fought the dildo, and the dildo won. (sung to the tune of I fought the law)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Cruz wasn't exactly wrong. He was defending the Texas law against the illegal federal interference with it. That said, the Texas law was insane and Cruz should have STFU. This makes Cruz look very stupid, even though he was technically correct. This makes Cruz look like a Muslim extremist and completely out of touch with even 1970s America. I don't take a personal position, but clearly this would rightfully hurt Cruz in a general election.
    How much leeway does a Solicitor General have when deciding which State laws to defend?

Cruz's solicitor general office had the task of preserving the law.

In 2007, Cruz's legal team, working on behalf of then-Attorney General Greg Abbott (who now is the governor), filed a 76-page brief calling on the US Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit to uphold the lower court's decision and permit the law to stand.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

But it this way. I live in New Hampshire and $#@! no I didn't vote for Cruz.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

And I thought perhaps he was confused and thought somebody was selling a Ted Cruz doll.
    Last edited by Dr.3D; 04-13-2016 at 06:40 PM.

Dildos are male genocide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Pinochet is the model
    Liberty preserving authoritarianism.
    Enforced internal open borders was one of the worst elements of the Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    And I thought perhaps he was confused and thought somebody was selling a Ted Cruz doll.
    Ewww...

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Ewww...
    Well, he does sort of resemble one.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Well, he does sort of resemble one.
    Mine are brightly colored and make me smile. Cruz is neither, he's just a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    They violate our precious bodily fluids too -

Doctor Strangelove II, starring Ted Cruz - the defence of the women series.

Dildos are unconstitutional and a communist plot to steal our precious bodily fluids!
    Ted Cruz for Prezident!
    Last edited by SpiritOf1776_J4; 04-13-2016 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    Funny. horrifying. And it makes it seem.. so Holy

Glad I don't live in Texas. He'll still be senator when this is all over.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

What a joke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic