Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 45

Thread: Trumpís Favorable Rating Rivals Reaganís in 1980

  1. #1

    Default Trumpís Favorable Rating Rivals Reaganís in 1980

    A new Associated Press poll released today found after months of media and GOP establishment attacks a majority of Americans overwhelmingly view Trump negatively.

    Seven in 10 people, including close to half of Republican voters, have an unfavorable view of Donald Trump.

    Six in 10 people have an unfavorable view of Ted Cruz even though the liberal media has not started its campaign of destruction against the Texas senator.

    Grandma Hillary has a 55% unfavorable rating.

    Trump is wildly popular with Middle Class voters but that doesn’t impress the Beltway elites.

    Ronald Reagan’s favorable rating was also at 30% back in March 1980.



    The elites also worried about Ronald Reagan’s chances back in March 1980.

    The CSMonitor reported, via Free Republic:

    The nation’s Republicans are working against the clock to answer two key questions: Can conservative Ronald Reagan possibly attract enough independent and Democratic votes to win in November?

    An if he is likely to lose, has former President Gerald Ford time enough to challenge him for the GOP nomination?

    The consensus among political experts is that time has probably already run out for Gerald Ford, though he still appears the stronger choice to beat Jimmy Carter in November.

    But some experts caution: Don’t count Ronald Reagan out as a national candidate for the fall. He is not, they say, “a McGovern or a Goldwater” — fringe candidates who led their parties to one-sided defeats in 1972 and 1964. Intellectuals don’t want to take him seriously, but he does well with working-class voters. He would take the West, challenge President Carter in the South, and do well in the pivotal Midwest states like Ohio and Illinois, whose southern regions titled toward Carter in 1976, they say.

    Back in March 1980 the establishment said the same thing about Ronald Reagan.

    They said he could never defeat Jimmy Carter.

    He was too divisive.

    Reagan trailed Carter by 15 points in February-March 1980.


    http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016...-reagans-1980/



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    ďI donít think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,Ē he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. Heís the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

  4. #3

    Default

    It is the direction his negatives are going. Reagans were steadily dropping all of fall 1979 and spring of 1980 as people got to know him, Trumps negatives on the other hand have been climbing as people got to know him.
    Last edited by klamath; 04-09-2016 at 04:35 AM.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

  5. #4

    Default

    April 25, 1980



    Then this

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPB1aJ2RPt8

    Carter was one of the most unpopular incumbent presidents to run for re-election ever, 28% approval his last year. And that was before the hostage crisis. He was actually primaried as a sitting president, against Ted Kennedy who the far left loved and these primaries went on right up until the day before the convention when Kennedy dropped out. Democrats were about as divided and unenthusiastic about him as it gets.

    Reagan on the other hand established as the frontrunner within the first few primaries in late February. Bush was essentially his only real opponent the entire way, and it couldn't have been all that "divisive" if he chose Bush as his VP running mate. Reagan clinched the nomination mid May and by that time the GOP was solidly both behind him and against Carter.

  6. #5

    Default

    This.

    Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post
    It is the direction his negatives are going. Reagans were steadily dropping all of fall 1979 and spring of 1980 as people got to know him, Trumps negatives on the other hand have been climbing as people got to know him.
    This.

    Quote Originally Posted by Murray N Rothbard View Post
    April 25, 1980



    Then this

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPB1aJ2RPt8

    Carter was one of the most unpopular incumbent presidents to run for re-election ever, 28% approval his last year. And that was before the hostage crisis. He was actually primaried as a sitting president, against Ted Kennedy who the far left loved and these primaries went on right up until the day before the convention when Kennedy dropped out. Democrats were about as divided and unenthusiastic about him as it gets.

    Reagan on the other hand established as the frontrunner within the first few primaries in late February. Bush was essentially his only real opponent the entire way, and it couldn't have been all that "divisive" if he chose Bush as his VP running mate. Reagan clinched the nomination mid May and by that time the GOP was solidly both behind him and against Carter.
    And this.

    And this point I don't expect Trump to even get the GOP nomination. And no it won't be "stolen" from him. He's losing it fair and square.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

    Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

    "I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

    "We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

    "It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

  7. #6

    Default

    Even if there is resemblance in their favorable ratings, these are not 1980s and there are some key differences between the two.

    First, Reagan did not switch his stances and had always been a conservative.

    Reagan's democratic party opponent had not voted for Iraq war.

    Reagan supported Islamic Jihadis/pre-ISIS1.0 against Russians.

    Bluedog neocons supported Reagan, today they prefer Hillary or Cruz.



    It is not the same.



    Semi-related

    Iran to build statue to commemorate capture of U.S. sailors
    Washington Times-Mar 19, 2016




    http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...hell-with-iran

  8. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murray N Rothbard View Post
    April 25, 1980



    Then this

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPB1aJ2RPt8

    Carter was one of the most unpopular incumbent presidents to run for re-election ever, 28% approval his last year. And that was before the hostage crisis. He was actually primaried as a sitting president, against Ted Kennedy who the far left loved and these primaries went on right up until the day before the convention when Kennedy dropped out. Democrats were about as divided and unenthusiastic about him as it gets.

    Reagan on the other hand established as the frontrunner within the first few primaries in late February. Bush was essentially his only real opponent the entire way, and it couldn't have been all that "divisive" if he chose Bush as his VP running mate. Reagan clinched the nomination mid May and by that time the GOP was solidly both behind him and against Carter.
    There you go again, clouding the issue with facts. Trumpettes won't roll with that.
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. Its got electrolytes.



    H. L. Mencken said it best:


    ďDemocracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.Ē


    "As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

  9. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Bluedog neocons supported Reagan, today they prefer Hillary or Cruz.
    "Bluedog neocons" would actually be the type of people to support Trump over Cruz. They see Cruz as too ideologically conservative.
    Castle/Bradley 2016

  10. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Even if there is resemblance in their favorable ratings, these are not 1980s and there are some key differences between the two.

    First, Reagan did not switch his stances and had always been a conservative.

    Reagan's democratic party opponent had not voted for Iraq war.

    Reagan supported Islamic Jihadis/pre-ISIS1.0 against Russians.

    Bluedog neocons supported Reagan, today they prefer Hillary or Cruz.



    It is not the same.



    Semi-related

    Iran to build statue to commemorate capture of U.S. sailors
    Washington Times-Mar 19, 2016



    http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...hell-with-iran
    Reagan was for tax cuts. But he also signed the largest tax hikes in history (both as Governor of California and as President- the biggest increase at the time in both jobs- yes, he was consistant). He was against welfare but expanded the welfare system. "Man is not free unless government is limited" yet it grew from 5 million employees to 5.3 million- and that does not count his expansion of the military. Under Clinton, the number of government employees fell to 4.1 million- the smallest in decades. He was a lot less conservative than many think he was.

    As mentioned, the biggest problem for Carter was the hostage crisis which weighed heavily on him and distracted him. "America Held Hostage" was a nightly program every night after the news (it later turned into "Nightline" and expanded coverage to other stories). In the election, there was also a strong third party candidate- John Anderson.

    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-09-2016 at 12:45 PM.
    "The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." - William Gibson

    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to. This post may include statements I don't personally agree with.

  11. #10

    Default

    Psychics are a dime a gross and 2012 has nothing to do with 1980. presidential polls before the primaries are worth even less.

    The election will be stolen from Trump, despite the voter's overwhelming preference, and you haters will wear a Clinton presidency like an e coli jumpsuit for 8 excruciating years.

  12. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bossobass View Post
    Psychics are a dime a gross and 2012 has nothing to do with 1980. presidential polls before the primaries are worth even less.

    The election will be stolen from Trump, despite the voter's overwhelming preference, and you haters will wear a Clinton presidency like an e coli jumpsuit for 8 excruciating years.
    A Trump candidacy would pretty much guarantee a Clinton presidency. Trump supporters love to talk about polls...until they go against their guy. I remember some Trump supporters saying "Don't believe the polls saying Trump is behind by 10% in Wisconsin. Other polls show he's ahead." Well those polls were indeed wrong. Trump lost by 13% instead of 10%. People talk about how Trump is going to trash Hillary? How is he going to do that? He talks about her voting for the Iraq war? Well when she voted it he openly supported it, then lied and said he never had. He's going to attack her on Benghazi? After Benghazi he called her the best secretary of state ever. He's going to attack her on Libya? He called for a full U.S. invasion of Libya. rump supporters were declaring that he would take out Hillary like he supposedly took out Ted Cruz with the "sex scandal." Only...that didn't work and Cruz went up in the polls. As for the election being "stolen" from Trump, he's having trouble earning it. It's becoming increasingly unlikely that he will break 1237. Not only has he capped out in the popular vote with only 3 men left in the race, but his ground game sucks so bad that he's not picking up all of the delegates in the states he won.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

    Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

    "I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

    "We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

    "It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

  13. #12

    Default

    If he ends up with the most delegates (a likely scenario at this point) can you say he did not "earn" a nomination? If a nomination does not go to the guy with the most delegates then why even have the primary and caucus system? Maybe just have some backroom party leaders declare who they want to be their candidate. Save all that time and money spent on the primary and put it towards the general election.
    "The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." - William Gibson

    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to. This post may include statements I don't personally agree with.

  14. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    If he ends up with the most delegates (a likely scenario at this point) can you say he did not "earn" a nomination? If a nomination does not go to the guy with the most delegates then why even have the primary and caucus system? Maybe just have some backroom party leaders declare who they want to be their candidate. Save all that time and money spent on the primary and put it towards the general election.
    $#@! no, he has to win fair and square. It is the reason for the delegate system in the first place, to keep someone from skating in with 35% of the vote. It is a good thing to have the nominee voted in by the majority of the party. At the convention, the delegates represent the party. I'm not sure how the Democrats do theirs though.
    ďI donít think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,Ē he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. Heís the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

  15. #14

    Default

    If someone comes into the convention 100 delegates short of a majority and can't swing 100 unbound over to his side, they have no business trying to be president.
    ďI donít think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,Ē he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. Heís the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

  16. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    $#@! no, he has to win fair and square. It is the reason for the delegate system in the first place, to keep someone from skating in with 35% of the vote. It is a good thing to have the nominee voted in by the majority of the party. At the convention, the delegates represent the party. I'm not sure how the Democrats do theirs though.
    So they should give it to somebody who got even FEWER votes than that person? That makes even less logical sense.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-09-2016 at 03:24 PM.
    "The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." - William Gibson

    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to. This post may include statements I don't personally agree with.

  17. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    So they should give it to somebody who got even FEWER votes than that person?
    If they have a majority of the delegate votes, yes. That's the reason they have delegates. Pure democracy has been shown throughout history to be a bad thing.
    ďI donít think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,Ē he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. Heís the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

  18. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    If he ends up with the most delegates (a likely scenario at this point) can you say he did not "earn" a nomination? If a nomination does not go to the guy with the most delegates then why even have the primary and caucus system? Maybe just have some backroom party leaders declare who they want to be their candidate. Save all that time and money spent on the primary and put it towards the general election.
    It is all about a true majority. We do NOT have a president until he reaches a true majority of the electors. Any thing less the 270 does not make a president. It is the very building block of a republic not a democracy.
    In 2007 when I was a delegate candidate for Ron Paul in California, I sure as hell shouldn't of been forced to vote for McCain because he got the most votes. If Ron withdrew I as one of 3 elected representatives of my congressional district should have the right to determine how I should best change my vote to represent the people that elected me, NOT who got the most popular votes especially if that person didn't begin to get 50% of the overall vote. Trump is actually getting more delegates than his vote totals because of the winner take all system. If he still can't win with that then the problem is with his campaign.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

  19. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post
    It is all about a true majority. We do NOT have a president until he reaches a true majority of the electors. Any thing less the 270 does not make a president. It is the very building block of a republic not a democracy.
    In 2007 when I was a delegate candidate for Ron Paul in California, I sure as hell shouldn't of been forced to vote for McCain because he got the most votes. If Ron withdrew I as one of 3 elected representatives of my congressional district should have the right to determine how I should best change my vote to represent the people that elected me, NOT who got the most popular votes especially if that person didn't begin to get 50% of the overall vote. Trump is actually getting more delegates than his vote totals because of the winner take all system. If he still can't win with that then the problem is with his campaign.
    In popular vote totals, Trump has collected almost two million more than Cruz- 8 million to six million. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...ote_count.html That means he has one third more of the popular vote so far than Cruz.

    Can you make the argument that Cruz and not Trump should be the nominee since Trump has the most delegates and the largest portion of the popular vote? Should the prize go to the #2 finisher?
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-09-2016 at 04:23 PM.
    "The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." - William Gibson

    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to. This post may include statements I don't personally agree with.

  20. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    In popular vote totals, Trump has collected almost two million more than Cruz- 8 million to six million. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...ote_count.html That means he has one third more of the popular vote so far than Cruz.
    Al Gore had more of the popular vote than GW Bush.
    ďI donít think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,Ē he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. Heís the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

  21. #20

    Default

    And see how that turned out? Two major wars, the Great Recession? Exploding government spending and debt- going from nearly balanced budget to $trillion deficits? (not claiming Gore would have been better and Congress shares the blame as well)

    Popular vote count:
    Bush: 50,456,002
    Gore: 50,999,897

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...election,_2000
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-09-2016 at 04:30 PM.
    "The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." - William Gibson

    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to. This post may include statements I don't personally agree with.

  22. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    And see how that turned out? Two major wars, the Great Recession? Exploding government spending and debt- going from nearly balanced budget to $trillion deficits? (not claiming Gore would have been better and Congress shares the blame as well)

    Popular vote count:
    Bush: 50,456,002
    Gore: 50,999,897

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...election,_2000
    It seems your issue is more with the Electoral College than GW Bush. Do you favor direct election of POTUS over the existing system?
    ďI donít think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,Ē he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. Heís the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

  23. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Can you make the argument that Cruz and not Trump should be the nominee since Trump has the most delegates and the largest portion of the popular vote? Should the prize go to the #2 finisher?
    I think the logic is that Trump has had enough chances to win the required delegates, that if he doesn't then he did not earn the nomination and a lot of arguments could be made on why there would be a legitimate reason to contest the convention and the first being is that he is unelectable, and the second being that more people have voted against Trump then for Trump.

    That being said though, Trump is not a real candidate though so this is a rhetorical argument. He is just a character he is playing on tv. Years from now people will say; that wasn't the Donald, that was president Trump a character he was playing on tv like hulk hogan..

  24. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    It seems your issue is more with the Electoral College than GW Bush. Do you favor direct election of POTUS over the existing system?
    Yes.
    "The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." - William Gibson

    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to. This post may include statements I don't personally agree with.

  25. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    And see how that turned out? Two major wars, the Great Recession? Exploding government spending and debt- going from nearly balanced budget to $trillion deficits? (not claiming Gore would have been better and Congress shares the blame as well)

    Popular vote count:
    Bush: 50,456,002
    Gore: 50,999,897

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...election,_2000
    http://www.craigsteiner.us/articles/16

    "The government can have a surplus even if it has trillions in debt, but it cannot have a surplus if that debt increased every year. This article is about surplus/deficit, not the debt. However, it analyzes the debt to prove there wasn't a surplus under Clinton."

    "When Clinton handed over the reins to Bush, there was a Republican Congress, not a Democratic one. In fact, it wasn't even a close call: For the last six years of Clinton's term, the GOP had been in control of both the House and the Senate"
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    You do know that you are a moron right?

    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Just for the record, 99% of the time I say "In my country........" I am actually messing with you people because I know you guys have absolutely no idea what happens in my country.

    Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!


    Short Income Tax Video

    The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

    The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

    Except as to the rule of apportionment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

  26. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Yes.
    So as a democrat, you favor the Tyranny of the majority.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    You do know that you are a moron right?

    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Just for the record, 99% of the time I say "In my country........" I am actually messing with you people because I know you guys have absolutely no idea what happens in my country.

    Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!


    Short Income Tax Video

    The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

    The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

    Except as to the rule of apportionment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

  27. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Yes.
    How would you deal with the issue of 3 or more candidates in the race where none of them win a majority?
    ďI donít think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,Ē he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. Heís the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

  28. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Yes.
    Should we get rid of the senate and the house as well. Same system. Should we have national referendums to pass all our laws?
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

  29. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    You do know that you are a moron right?

    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Just for the record, 99% of the time I say "In my country........" I am actually messing with you people because I know you guys have absolutely no idea what happens in my country.

    Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!


    Short Income Tax Video

    The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

    The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

    Except as to the rule of apportionment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

  30. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    In popular vote totals, Trump has collected almost two million more than Cruz- 8 million to six million. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...ote_count.html That means he has one third more of the popular vote so far than Cruz.

    Can you make the argument that Cruz and not Trump should be the nominee since Trump has the most delegates and the largest portion of the popular vote? Should the prize go to the #2 finisher?
    No. I can't because if nobody has a majority it is up to the elected delegates to decide. Not me or you.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

  31. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    How would you deal with the issue of 3 or more candidates in the race where none of them win a majority?
    Most votes wins. Simple. Would you prefer a run-off for the Top Two? Or have the entire country keep voting until somebody has 50%?
    "The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." - William Gibson

    I am Zippy and I approve of this post. But you don't have to. This post may include statements I don't personally agree with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast





Select a tag for more discussion on that topic

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •