Thread: What is negative interest rates?

What is negative interest rates?

I really don't understand negative interest rates and what it means to the economy.

Can someone enlighten me a little bit?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    it means you (lender) are paying the borrower to hold your money.

Quote Originally Posted by kfarnan View Post
    it means you (lender) are paying the borrower to hold your money.
    ahhh.

it works both ways though, right? I just read a couple of articles.... seems controversial, but Europe is giving it a try.

Looks like a depositor would pay the bank to hold his money, conversely a bank would pay a borrower on his loan - instead of the other way around.

Sound about right?

reading Google bomb... it seems like economists are wary of the impact, but I've read here in the forum that it is a sure sign of trouble. hmmmmmm....

Negative interest rates are what happens after you screw with the market for so long (to no avail,) that you simply lose you mind.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles...rates-work.asp
    Interest rates are generally assumed to be the price paid to borrow money. For example, an annualized 2% interest rate on a $100 loan means that the borrower must repay the initial loan amount plus an additional $2 after one full year. On the other hand, a -2% interest rate means the bank pays the borrower $2 after a year of using the $100 loan, which is a lot to wrap your head around.

While negative interest rates are a great incentive to borrow, it's hard to understand why anyone would be willing to pay to lend considering the lender is the one taking the risk of a loan default. While seemingly inconceivable, there may be times when central banks run out of policy options to stimulate the economy and turn to the desperate measure of negative interest rates.
    They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support.

Currently negative interest rates only apply to rates the banks can borrow money from their central bank at. Bank customers are not being charged negative interest rates on accounts. Due to high demand relative to supply, some bonds are also currently paying negative yields.

The goal of negative interest rates is to discourage holding onto money- in this case, to encourage the banks to loan it out.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 04-09-2016 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    I really don't understand negative interest rates and what it means to the economy.

They're essentially attempting to inflate the debt away by debasing currency.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post

It also means that all asset prices will rise in nominal terms and that savers will be ruined unless they convert fiat into hard assets.