Thread: Iowa Governor Signs Suppressor Legislation Into Law

Iowa Governor Signs Suppressor Legislation Into Law

Posted by Jenn Jacques on March 31, 2016 at 4:48 pm

It’s official! Iowa Governor Terry Branstad has signed a bill that legalizes the sale, use and possession of technology that will protect gun owners’ hearing.

“The good people of Iowa were not misled by the lies out-of-state gun control groups were spreading in Iowa,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director of the National Rifle Association’s Institute for Legislative Action. “This law will make it easier for Iowa’s gun owners to protect their hearing with the proven technology of firearm suppressors. Suppressors also reduce noise complaints at ranges. People in the shooting sports take safety seriously and want to be good neighbors.”

When the bill was passed in the House and Senate, the Governor hinted at his support, saying it “will not only save people from hearing loss, but also could create some jobs in Iowa.”

“Time and again we’ve seen the Bloomberg-funded gun control groups try to push their extreme political agenda on America’s law-abiding gun owners,” concluded Cox. “But, they have neither the facts nor the American people on their side.”

continued..http://bearingarms.com/iowa-governor...gislation-law/
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

A surprise, considering the left lean of Missouri's hat.

This was a measure to attempt to appease Iowa Gun Owners since they keep constant pressure on the politicians there. Their goal is Constitutional Carry.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

So before this suppressors were banned in Iowa?

What good is it if federal law trumps it?

I see no way that the $200 tax stamp can be avoided or the requirement of a fed background check.

What have I missed?
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

That's an interesting way to word that.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 07-28-2016 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post

I see no way that the $200 tax stamp can be avoided or the requirement of a fed background check.

What have I missed?
    correct.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    So before this suppressors were banned in Iowa?
    According to this older article, yes.
    http://www.thegazette.com/subject/ne...costs-20160408
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

What have I missed?
    Federal law doesn't trump it. But apparently, before this, suppressors were banned in Iowa, and having a $200 tax stamp with the federal government's OK wasn't good enough.

Federal law doesn't trump it.
    Good point.

Federal law doesn't trump it. But apparently, before this, suppressors were banned in Iowa, and having a $200 tax stamp with the federal government's OK wasn't good enough.
    Do you mean to say that I can now acquire a suppressor in IA without going through the fedgov hoops and taxes?

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Do you mean to say that I can now acquire a suppressor in IA without going through the fedgov hoops and taxes?
    No. I'm saying that now you can acquire a suppressor in IA as long as you go through the fedgov hoops and taxes.

But that's better than what it was before, when you couldn't legally acquire one at all there.

No. I'm saying that now you can acquire a suppressor in IA as long as you go through the fedgov hoops and taxes.
    Phew, for a second there I thought you were implying gun owners could go around buying silencers all just willy-nilly-like.

I'm glad theres still some order in place.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

But that's better than what it was before, when you couldn't legally acquire one at all there.
    Ah, OK, so I pretty well misinterpreted the nature of the IA law. Well, an improvement of sorts, yes, but it leaves me thinking "meh..."

Suppressors need to be removed from NFA. Of course, NFA needs to be removed, but I'm not holding my breath.