Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the War on Drugs Unconstitutional?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
    I'm not saying stop loving him.

I'm just saying quit trying to save him, quit rescuing him, quit trying to fix him.

"Let go with love."

Letting go with love can be healthy advice for some situations, but it doesn't seem to fit this particular one.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by PursuePeace View Post
    Letting go with love can be healthy advice for some situations, but it doesn't seem to fit this particular one.
    It fits it perfectly. It was *made* for this kind of situation, actually lol

Look, I'm not making light of the guy's situation. I'm 20 years sober, and I've lost 3 of 6 family members to this disease we call addiction.

Let him go, Working Poor. And it sounds to me like you need to give Al-Anon another try. Get a sponsor and work the steps this time.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    It absolutely is unconstitutional. Remember that we had to amend the constitution to federally ban alcohol? So why are drugs different? Well...in our court state on insanity the federal government could ban alcohol without a constitutional amendment. You see, the reason they needed a constitutional amendment the first time is because back then everyone knew the federal government had no jurisdiction over commerce unless it was interstate commerce. But thanks to a series of horrible SCOTUS rulings, the federal government sticks its nose everywhere it doesn't belong.

As to this actually helping your family member? Well...it won't. It would be like arguing "I shouldn't be charged with tax evasion because the income tax is unconstitutional." No judge will even allow it as a defense and it won't go anywhere on appeal. That said....nothing wrong with arguing it as an "educational experience" for the jury. (His attorney could include it in his closing arguments and possibly get away with it.) Also most drug cases are prosecuted in state court under state laws. If he's being prosecuted in state court for a drug law violation then there really isn't a plausible constitutional claim that I can see. While the federal government shouldn't be able to ban drugs, it's not like drug use is a fundamental right that states can't ban. Then...on the other hand...it makes more sense to say "I have a right to my own body so I should be able to smoke weed" than it does to say "I have a right to my own body so I should be able to murder my unborn child."
    this sounds suspiciously like you support restoring the CONstitution... or would that be a bad idea at this point?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Of course it is constitutional.

Just ask the government judges.

They'll be sure to tell you.

WP, I wish there was more I could do or say.

With millions of people in the US gulags, it's a daunting task to help anybody.
    not only is it "CONstitutional" it was the CONstitutions plan from the beginning! right AF?

clearly the CONstitution authorized this. or it would NOT be happening. right AF?

with over 65000 posts in 9 years... your points seem to be lost on them....
    Last edited by HVACTech; 03-30-2016 at 08:44 PM.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

It fits it perfectly. It was *made* for this kind of situation, actually lol.

Not while they're in prison.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it is.

Doesn't sound like this is his first rodeo... "he's spent many years in prison" ... "he's in jail again looking at 7 years" ... "his partner has almost as many drug charges as he does"

Life has consequences.

Do you (Working Poor) think you're the first person to consider challenging the "constitutionality" of the drug laws?

Let him go. And find some peace.
    I have been searching for a case that has challenged the constitutionality of the drug war and won. Believe me there is nothing you can tell me about being co-dependent that I do not know. I still go to alanon just not every day. I still have a sponsor that I talk to when I need to.

I know I can't "save" my brother. There are other people to consider not just my brother. My mother is freaking about it. She feels so guilty. I have given her the good ole "let go and let God" talk until I am blue in the face ya know. I actually feel more sorry for her than my brother. My mother is very old and also sick as hell. I have been through quite and ordeal with her for the past several months. She was in the hospital for almost 2 months. My brother being in jail after all the health challenges she has been through is more stress than she needs. I have promised her that I would try to find something that might help him. I just wondered if the constitution protects his rights or if anyone knew of someone who used this defense. Looks like death will be his only release.

Good luck even using the words "constitutional right" as a defense in a state criminal court without the judge smacking you down and striking it from the record. :/

His best option is to plea to the judge for help, that he is an addict and needs help, that he was not in control of his actions because of his addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    not only is it "CONstitutional" it was the CONstitutions plan from the beginning! right AF?

clearly the CONstitution authorized this. or it would NOT be happening. right AF?

with over 65000 posts in 9 years... your points seem to be lost on them....
    Glad to see you got my point.

Do you have anything helpful to offer Working Poor?

Drug laws like minimum wage laws, laws against prostitution and sodomy, union privileges, etc all violate the freedom of contract which is implicit in the 14th Amendment.

Rand Paul talks about the Lochner Case frequently. That was the precedent case for the freedom to contract which got overturned during the Progressive Era. So yes, drug laws violate the 14th Amendment and are thus unconstitutional.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_contract

//

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Glad to see you got my point.

Do you have anything helpful to offer Working Poor?
    so, this guy is lying? or, is he just an idiot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0WZO3M3X84

(13 second video)
    Last edited by HVACTech; 03-31-2016 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugminator2 View Post
    Drug laws like minimum wage laws, laws against prostitution and sodomy, union privileges, etc all violate the freedom of contract which is implicit in the 14th Amendment.

Rand Paul talks about the Lochner Case frequently. That was the precedent case for the freedom to contract which got overturned during the Progressive Era. So yes, drug laws violate the 14th Amendment and are thus unconstitutional.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_contract
    Tacit contracts aren't valid according to SCOTUS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    That is true. Most conservative and liberal judges don't even believe the right to contract is a basic right. That doesn't mean it is the correct view. If you have a willing buyer and seller trading goods and services that is a contractual arrangement.

There is a strong push to change the legal thinking on this. It won't be easy, but the Texas Supreme Court Chief Justice Don Willett, George Will, Rand Paul, Judge Napolitano, and a lot of libertarian law professors are making a strong case.

That is true. Most conservative and liberal judges don't even believe the right to contract is a basic right. That doesn't mean it is the correct view. If you have a willing buyer and seller trading goods and services that is a contractual arrangement. There is a strong push to change the legal thinking on this. It won't be easy, but the Texas Supreme Court Chief Justice Don Willett, George Will, Rand Paul, Judge Napolitano, and a lot of libertarian law professors are making a strong case.
    No, but in this case it is correct. Tacit contract is made up out of whole cloth-it has nothing to do with Natural Law or any other non-arbitrary system.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

the original CONstitution (1787) did not have anything to do with "Rights". HB34.

the concept of "Rights" was not introduced until late 1791.

one should NOT confuse the "Bill of Rights" with the CONstituion.

(you are making us look stupid sir)
    Last edited by HVACTech; 03-31-2016 at 08:07 PM.

No, but in this case it is correct. Tacit contract is made up out of whole cloth-it has nothing to do with Natural Law or any other non-arbitrary system.
    What I stated about the drug war and contracts in my original post is the thinking of pretty much every libertarian law professor that I have ever heard weigh in on this. My background is in engineering not law or philosophy, but drug laws do violate the ideas of "life, liberty, and property." That phrase was even used in the language of the Lochner Case.

What I stated about the drug war and contracts in my original post is the thinking of pretty much every libertarian law professor that I have ever heard weigh in on this. My background is in engineering not law or philosophy, but drug laws do violate the ideas of "life, liberty, and property." That phrase was even used in the language of the Lochner Case.
    Disappointing to find "libertarians" make such a claim. Sounds like LINOism.

Disappointing to find "libertarians" make such a claim. Sounds like LINOism.

LINOs like Judge Napolitano?

Here is an excerpt from a book written by the Judge. He spells out that freedom of contract is part of natural law and repeats just what I said. First two paragraphs.

https://books.google.com/books?id=zU...ochner&f=false

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    whats are the charges ?
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

Here is an excerpt from a book written by the Judge. He spells out that freedom of contract is part of natural law and repeats just what I said. First two paragraphs.
    HB34 is an anarchist. and if you press him on the issue.
    you will find that he considers not only judge Nap, but also Ron Paul to be "statists"

I used to play on the Linoleum when I was a kid. Got pretty good at it, but still people couldn't hum the tune when I got done.

https://books.google.com/books?id=zU...ochner&f=false

That excerpt has nothing to do with tacit contract. What he says there is correct. Even if he were wrong, the CONstitution is NOT based on Natural Law. No (well-known) Federalist ever made such a claim. (the DoI is, however)
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 03-31-2016 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsat_98 View Post
    whats are the charges ?
    Possession of crack cocaine (3grams) with intent to distribute (but I am sure he intended to do it all) and paraphernalia. He did not force anyone to buy or use it with him. He did not sell any to anyone but it is the amount that determines the intent.

I don't understand why some lawyer hasn't filed a class action suit against the government over the unconstitutional war on drugs. WHY ????

Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I don't understand why some lawyer hasn't filed a class action suit against the government over the unconstitutional war on drugs. WHY ????
    Because under applicable Supreme Court precedent going back over 100 years, it's patently obvious that it's constitutional.
    Last edited by Sonny Tufts; 04-01-2016 at 01:26 PM.

I am trying to help a close family member they are an addict and they have spent many years in prison because of it. He is in jail again looking at 7 years. He is unable to pay for a lawyer and nobody in the family is able to help hire one. A public defender has been appointed. I have been thinking about what if his rights have been grossly violated?

Does anyone know of someone fighting a drug charge questioning the constitutionality of the drug war? My relative has nothing to loose in fighting it this way but I would like to try to give him some insight on how he may be able to fight this. He has been in jail for 4 months the person who he was busted with got out with time served and has almost as many past drug charges as he does. We think this person may have traded evidence to get out with time served after one month in jail. I think about how sick my relative has been over the years and how being thrown in prison has done nothing to help him address the real problem. I hate that he has never been free in his adult life. I want to try one more time to help him defend his freedom.
    I know of lawyers that have argued it, but its an unwinnable argument. I think I know one judge that would even look twice at it.
    Carthago Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by ArrestPoliticians View Post
    I know of lawyers that have argued it, but its an unwinnable argument. I think I know one judge that would even look twice at it.
    If a class action suit were filed would that force the issue to be heard?

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If a class action suit were filed would that force the issue to be heard?
    I think you'd be better off with an isolated judge in an empty courtroom than a class action with high stakes and lots of pressure and attention.

The best argument is that restraints on liberty should be classified as heightened scrutiny, and that criminalizing drug use is a restraint of liberty that is not the least restrictive means available.
    Carthago Delenda Est

it is the amount that determines the intent.
    Don't talk yourself into a hole. He may have been charged with intent because of an amount but that does not mean it was intent due to the amount kept for personal consumption.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

I am trying to help a close family member they are an addict and they have spent many years in prison because of it. He is in jail again looking at 7 years. He is unable to pay for a lawyer and nobody in the family is able to help hire one. A public defender has been appointed. I have been thinking about what if his rights have been grossly violated?

Does anyone know of someone fighting a drug charge questioning the constitutionality of the drug war? My relative has nothing to loose in fighting it this way but I would like to try to give him some insight on how he may be able to fight this. He has been in jail for 4 months the person who he was busted with got out with time served and has almost as many past drug charges as he does. We think this person may have traded evidence to get out with time served after one month in jail. I think about how sick my relative has been over the years and how being thrown in prison has done nothing to help him address the real problem. I hate that he has never been free in his adult life. I want to try one more time to help him defend his freedom.
    Possession of crack cocaine (3grams) with intent to distribute (but I am sure he intended to do it all) and paraphernalia. He did not force anyone to buy or use it with him. He did not sell any to anyone but it is the amount that determines the intent.

How did he get caught ?
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

The "war" portion of the war on drugs is a headline, it's not a real war.

As for the federal government's involvement in legalizing and illegalizing drugs, that's a state issue and not federal. So there is no constitutional authority for the federal government to be involved in drugs directly. But you'd need a team of high priced lawyers and years of battles and have to get lucky enough for the case to climb high in the courts to hope you can get a judge to offer an opinion of unconstitutionality. That's not likely.
    The federal government has overstepped on many more blatant constitutional issues and those aren't being overturned so I'm not sure how The war on drugs will be sited as unconstitutional. I wish you luck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast