Thread: All-Season Chicken coop building steps

Lightbulb All-Season Chicken coop building steps

Hello friends,

For extreme climate in my area, I built this four seasons chicken coop.

Building steps: My chicken coop

Comments?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by gardenerking View Post
    Hello friends,

Building steps:

Comments?
    Post more than a link and you might get more input.

I'm not clicking and I build "steps" professionally.

some tips for small flock; 10-60 birds, cold climate layers

stick with rose comb birds to prevent frost bite
    keep water heated to 70'F
    One square foot per bird in the roosting space, that space should be open to the dirt below for rake out,
    cleanable insulated walls to the ground,
    8' tall, 4' wide, as long as necessary like a hallway; maximizing height and volume vs squarefeet is key to maintaining passive body heat
    Two air vents on opposite sides half way up, completely sealed from there up with zero draft.
    3 roost height options with the highest bird height from ceiling and lowest at vent height.
    Make lower roosts removeable so you can walk in like a closet.
    South (wide) facing side mostly glass or clear plastic
    Door on short side and weather sealed.
    Keep the birds out of their poop with a removable panel of hog wire, just above the ground.
    In the coldest of the cold close one vent and the birds will roost at the peak. In the heat of the summer they'll roost at vent hight if its too warm.
    Provide 1-2 hours of 60w light per 30sqft 3-4 hours before dawn; see keyword: cornell photostimulation laying hens
    wind break 4sqft per bird of screened enclosure on two sides and roof; the more outside space the merrier and the less you'll feed.
    best to automate your entry to the roost space with a timer and actuator, when its bitter cold you're not getting up to let your birds out at daybreak.
    keep nest boxes accessible from roost space but low to the ground.
    Cull 1/3 flock every 3 years.
    replace 1/3 every spring when the feed store has chicks
    in case of frostbite, or injury cull and eat
    in case of sickness, cull and burn
    Lime or ash wash roost space seasonally
    pvc or wood, never metal for roosting

provide constant choice:
    ash and diatom dusting space
    oyster shell
    corn
    sunflower seeds
    table scraps
    commercial layer ration

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by gardenerking View Post
    Hello friends,

Building steps: My chicken coop

Comments?
    1: Nice coop.

2: doesn't need to be either insulated or heated. Chickens bear cold very well. It does, however, need to provide a strong break for winds. Wind is what kills chickens. Three winters ago we had -10*F for about 6 weeks straight. It was brutal. Two winters ago we were at -20 for about a week. All our birds weathered it fine because our coop keeps the breezes to a minimum. It is 10' square, dirt floor, about 9' ceiling up front and perhaps 7' at the rear. There is air flow, but no large openings to allow stiff wind entry.

Insulation is OK, but not needed. Heat in completely extraneous, though it too will not hurt anything. The birds will appreciate it, don't get me wrong, but they will be find without it. More important they have food and water available to them at all times. Keeping them fat keeps them warm.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

one other thing... keyword "car antenna chicken door"

materials needed:

one used electronic automatic car antenna ($30 online new) junkyard?
    2 AC/DC 1amp transformers ($10 new) goodwill?
    1 120v timer ($10 new) goodwill?
    2 ball bearing drawer slides ($10 new) salvage?

potentially all salvage from around the farm

one 12v transformer on the 120v timer,
    the other 12v transformer plugged in straight to 120v power
    twist your 12v blacks together to the 12v black on antenna...
    then one 12v red to red on antenna
    the other 12v red to green on antenna.
    antenna moves in and out when timer switches on and off...
    moving small plywood panel on ball bearing slides

Sure beats $250 store bought auto chicken door
    Last edited by presence; 03-27-2016 at 07:29 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Was thinking about getting back into keeping chickens, but just can't justify the cost and effort.

Unless they free ranged all summer and I slaughtered them off in the fall.

Was thinking about getting back into keeping chickens, but just can't justify the cost and effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

If you are raising them just for the meat, instead of egg producers that's the way to go in the great white north. Here, in God's waiting room (Florida) they could free range year round. For egg production, they need more than a couple month long summer to start laying.

I prefer ducks.. much more fun than chickens.. but a natural water body is pretty much mandatory. Digging and maintaining a small pond is a big PITA
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    If you are raising them just for the meat, instead of egg producers that's the way to go in the great white north. Here, in God's waiting room (Florida) they could free range year round. For egg production, they need more than a couple month long summer to start laying.

I prefer ducks.. much more fun than chickens.. but a natural water body is pretty much mandatory. Digging and maintaining a small pond is a big PITA
    It was more for eggs than anything else, a free range meat bird will be pretty lean.

Cleaning the $#@! in the winter was a huge PITA.

There are people all around me selling eggs, let them deal with it.

It was more for eggs than anything else, a free range meat bird will be pretty lean.

Cleaning the $#@! in the winter was a huge PITA.

There are people all around me selling eggs, let them deal with it.
    They are the best pest control though. Tick season is going to be a BIGGER PITA.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    They are the best pest control though. Tick season is going to be a BIGGER PITA.
    Get some guinea hens then.

They roost in trees, do not need regular maintenance or a man made coop and they slaughter ticks.

They free-range and will naturally roost in trees if left without a shelter to sleep in. They are also tick-eating machines.
    http://modernfarmer.com/2014/10/get-watch-bird/

guineas.. lotsa noise.. lotsa bug eating.. small-ish hard to crack eggs and not a pretty bird
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    guineas.. lotsa noise.. lotsa bug eating.. small-ish hard to crack eggs and not a pretty bird
    I like the noise they make . Makes me laugh . I need to get a few as it would irritate the Ol' Battle Axe

I don't kill my birds. Bad juju for me. We take the eggs. We get about a dozen per day with the 18 birds we have. We used to have about 140 but it was too much. The bastard golden eagle took care of about 90 of them. Still wish I could have shot the bastard that one day when I caught it atop one of my roosters.

Our geese are pains in the ass, though. We only have 9, but it seems we have at least two on nests and if they produce 10 each, we are going to be drowning in geese and goose poo, of which we have plenty as it is. At this point I'd as soon stick with the orchard and forget the rest.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I like the noise they make . Makes me laugh . I need to get a few as it would irritate the Ol' Battle Axe
    We have a bunch extra.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    We have a bunch extra.
    There was an ad in the paper this week for some pullets free , but they were gone when I called . I could just let them roost in the woods.
    Last edited by oyarde; 04-06-2016 at 08:08 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    I don't kill my birds. Bad juju for me. We take the eggs. We get about a dozen per day with the 18 birds we have. We used to have about 140 but it was too much. The bastard golden eagle took care of about 90 of them. Still wish I could have shot the bastard that one day when I caught it atop one of my roosters.

Our geese are pains in the ass, though. We only have 9, but it seems we have at least two on nests and if they produce 10 each, we are going to be drowning in geese and goose poo, of which we have plenty as it is. At this point I'd as soon stick with the orchard and forget the rest.
    I always keep laying hens too . My goal ea yr is to make 100 FRN's monthly more than feed cost off egg sales . Pays the electric bill and I do not have to buy eggs.

Hunting Guinea in my own woods be a lot cheaper than going back to Africa bird hunting .

I want one of those dinosaur chickens it would give the coyotes something to think about.

Last edited by Working Poor; 04-07-2016 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I always keep laying hens too . My goal ea yr is to make 100 FRN's monthly more than feed cost off egg sales . Pays the electric bill and I do not have to buy eggs.
    We've not bought eggs in over 8 years. Store-bought eggs have no flavor. Same with apples. I warn people prior to them biting one of ours that they will never be able to eat store-bought again. They laugh, as if I were joking or exaggerating. They rapidly discover that I was not.

Today, I set a new Red Delicious in the orchard and an Indian Blood Peach. Oh, and our Bing cherry has four babies coming up at its base. Those will be replanted. I also want to get at least one Ranier cherry and a white cherry. Discovered a volunteer apply tree, about 4' high on the edge of the driveway yesterday (!!!). The 12 acres we just bought for $4K that was once part of our property, has dozens of cherries growing up which I shall ball and replant, as well as a huge apple tree and possibly a bunch of its babies. My goals are modest - 100 trees before I am done. At about 40 now. It will be enough for our purposes and if the economy goes to crap in truth, food will be good barter items. Now all we need is a cow and bull. NOT.

I hate guineas. One of the few domestic animals that I can't stand. Loud, obnoxious. But brave.

Get some guinea hens then.

They roost in trees, do not need regular maintenance or a man made coop and they slaughter ticks.

http://modernfarmer.com/2014/10/get-watch-bird/

We had warmth, which hatched out the bugs, and then a cold snap which killed them.

That usually helps control the bugs.

Thank you for your comments!

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    8 feet of snow now.... how to open chicken coop door.... lolll

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic