Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Libertarian Gary Johnson in double digits in race against Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump: poll

Libertarian Gary Johnson in double digits in race against Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump: poll

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...s-race-agains/

"Libertarian Gary Johnson in double digits in race against Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump: poll

"Libertarian presidential hopeful Gary Johnson, possibly benefitting from dissatisfaction with the two major parties’ front-runners, is in double digits in a potential three-way race, according to a poll released Thursday.

"In a three-way contest, Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton was at 42 percent, GOP front-runner Donald Trump was at 34 percent, and Mr. Johnson, who is seeking the Libertarian Party’s nomination, was at 11 percent, according to the Monmouth University poll."

{CONTINUED}

http://www.monmouth.edu/assets/0/322...2a6e5f8e61.pdf

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wonder if he'll be included in the debates?

So you're saying there's a chance? /Lloyd Christmas

Fantastic!

I was trying to find a point of reference from 2012 (to see how the final result compared to the polls), to no avail.

Anyone know of any national polls Johnson v Romney v Obama from 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Anyone know of any national polls Johnson v Romney v Obama from 2012?
    http://wwwww.realclearpolitics.com/e...nson-3269.html

Thanks

So, last cycle, the best Johnson did in any three-way poll was 6%, with the average being 3.6%.

...which makes 11% pretty impressive.

I doubt there's much hope that TPTB will allow a 3 person debate with a LP candidate, but I guess a ruckus could be raised if he were to continue polling highly

It's a shame the open borders lunatics have taken over the Libertarian Party. Even if he won he'd make sure that he'd be the last non-Democrat in the White House.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by misterx View Post
    It's a shame the open borders lunatics have taken over the Libertarian Party.
    Free immigration is and has always been the libertarian position.

Free immigration is and has always been the libertarian position.
    Many Libertarians would disagree.

Thanks

So, last cycle, the best Johnson did in any three-way poll was 6%, with the average being 3.6%.

...which makes 11% pretty impressive.
    But Johnson ended up with less than 1 percent.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

funny

9% have favorable opinion of Gary... 76% have never heard of him... but 11% will vote for him.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    funny

9% have favorable opinion of Gary... 76% have never heard of him... but 11% will vote for him.
    It probably has a lot more to do with distaste for the two front-runners rather than people actually wanting GJ to be president

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Right

He underperformed the polls then, and he'll probably underperform them again.

All I'm saying is that, since he's polling higher this time (about twice as high), he should do better.

He polled 6% and ended up with 1% last time; now he's polling 11%, so maybe be ends up with 2%.

This is great news. Thinking about the Gary Johnson thing, he might be the liberal appealing Libertarian we need. I was never to hot on his monatary policy knowledge or his abortion stance, but let's be pragmatic... When Hillary gets the democratic nomination there will be a lot of unhappy liberals, the kinds we had supporting Ron before. When trump wins the nomination there will be a lot of unhappy conservitives, the kind we had supporting Ron before. Gary Johnson might be able to pull together a coalition from these folks. Worst case scenario Hillary wins like she was going to against trump. Best case Gary Johnson pulls out an upset win if trump and Hillary completely self destructs. Almost best case and a huge improvement over the way things have been going, Gary gets more then 5% maybe even 15-20% and legitimizes libertarians and third party's. I'm willing to cede my purity on monatary policy understanding and abortion for a coalition that really busts up the two party system, unlike trump who is just more of the same.

Right

All I'm saying is that, since he's polling higher this time (about twice as high), he should do better.

He polled 6% and ended up with 1% last time; now he's polling 11%, so maybe be ends up with 2%.
    I would expect him to perform closer to his poll numbers the higher he polls. Once you start polling in double digits that's when people are more likely to feel like they aren't throwing their vote away by voting for you. It's one thing to tell someone on the phone that you will vote one way, but when that candidate is only polling 6% there is very little reason to actually pick him in the ballot box.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    If he's allowed on the stage in a debate with the D & R, he will have the opportunity to do much, much better.

All aboard the Gary Johnson train, Mcafee for VP! How's that for presidential security?

I would expect him to perform closer to his poll numbers the higher he polls. Once you start polling in double digits that's when people are more likely to feel like they aren't throwing their vote away by voting for you. It's one thing to tell someone on the phone that you will vote one way, but when that candidate is only polling 6% there is very little reason to actually pick him in the ballot box.
    Good point

Many Libertarians paleocons and right-wingers masquerading as "libertarians" like Lew Rockwell would disagree.
    Fixed that for you. Open borders is de facto libertarianism.

Chester Copperpot

well gary Johnson being in the race might make things interesting.. if he has a good shot of winning would be an alternative to trump

Right

Yes, exactly what I was thinking. 2-3% may be reachable for the LP. But poll numbers usually let 3rd party candidates come election day. Virgil Goode was polling around 10% in Virginia for the 2012 presidential election as the CP nominee. He did horribly on election day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    If he's allowed on the stage in a debate with the D & R, he will have the opportunity to do much, much better.
    Yes, making the debates would make a world of difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I'm voting for the Libertarian regardless of who gets the Republican or Democrat nomination.

- ML

And of course if this happens and Hillary wins the idiots in the GOP will blame the LP for their loss rather than the fact that they picked a crappy candidate.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    And of course if this happens and Hillary wins the idiots in the GOP will blame the LP for their loss rather than the fact that they picked a crappy candidate.
    That is a given, but do you care?
    "The Patriarch"

I don't believe that. Sure I think he will do the best the LP has ever done in a Trump Clinton race. I would think even 3-5 would be possible. I will probably end up voting for Johnson again unless the GOP finds a way to rob Trump and has a real nominee.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    I think Trump's likely to lose by more votes than the LP carries.

e.g.

Clinton 52%
    Trump 46%
    Johnson 2%

Gary Johnson sucks, he embodies everything that I dislike about the Libertarian Party.

Quote Originally Posted by Antischism View Post
    Fixed that for you. Open borders is de facto libertarianism.

You're only a real Libertarian if you agree with the resident communist, Antischism

You're only a real Libertarian if you agree with the resident communist, Antischism
    Restricting immigration requires aggression, hence libertarians oppose it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic