Thread: Gas cans for short-term storage: plastic or metal jerry?

Gas cans for short-term storage: plastic or metal jerry?

I want to buy a few 5-gallon gas cans, and I'm undecided if I should buy plastic cans or metal jerry. What are your thoughts?

I just discovered Original SOE Gear:

There is also Lexington Container Company:

For stabilizer, I'm going to pick up PRI-G as recommended at:
    http://modernsurvivalblog.com/preps/...to-store-fuel/
    Sanity Check Radio Show
    http://www.SanityCheckRadioShow.com

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have a few of both , I never thought about it if one type was better than the other ....

I can't say which is better, but I've had a couple of 6 gal plastic gas cans for about 30 years now.

They are great, even though they are made in Canada.

Try and find non-Obama cans at yard sales. The CARB spouts suck and the cans are threaded so that the old style spouts won't fit.

FWIW, I've become a real fan, over time, of the red plastic heavy duty gas cans.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    Try and find non-Obama cans at yard sales. The CARB spouts suck and the cans are threaded so that the old style spouts won't fit.
    THIS^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Yeah , I keep about 30 gallon worth of those in 2 1/2 gal cans in the garage , all of which i bought at yard sales .

Yeah, no kidding! How can it possible be more environmentally-friendly to spill half of the gasoline all over the ground, your hands, and whatever machinery you are gassing up?!

Must be a regulation thought up by Exxon to get people to use twice as much gas.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    kind of off subject but I installed two eye bolts in the back deck of my car behind the seats/ above the trunk... and it makes it much easier to bring fuel home without risk of trunk spill.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

TIPS:

The stuff goes stale, it does not keep forever (to work well in engines)

Summer blend is a warm weather designer fluid, similar to gasoline.

Don't try to store in a Styrofoam container unless making DIY napalm for self-immolation.