Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rand is still our best shot for 2020.

Amash and Massie seem to be more unabashedly libertarian than Rand is. They aren't afraid to say the unpopular thing if it is the truth. When I hear Amash speak, I am reminded of Ron's quote
    "Speak up, speak often
    and don't worry about those that
    at this point cannot understand,
    as they can never un-hear
    what we tell them."
    That is the kind of attitude that inspired the origination of the Liberty movement and the only thing that will rekindle it. Also, by 2020, millennials will be the majority voting block, their ideology most closely aligns with Amash/Massie and Amash can finally capitalize on his record of explaining every vote on social media etc.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    I think the biggest issue is do you want a Ron or a Rand? If you want a Rand you need to find someone who can get through the establishment spidey senses to gain the ring of power with their support! If you want Ron we need to find a really honest ballsy speaker that can motivate people.
    Definitely, based on the 2016 experience, we need a Paul-minded candidate with a William Wallace alpha vibe. Someone who will really go after getting the Tea Party, cultural right, and outsider voting blocs. I could see Rand being the VP of that successful liberty candidate.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peace&Freedom View Post
    Definitely, based on the 2016 experience, we need a Paul-minded candidate with a William Wallace alpha vibe. Someone who will really go after getting the Tea Party, cultural right, and outsider voting blocs. I could see Rand being the VP of that successful liberty candidate.
    Any ideas of who that is going to be? Rand may not be the best for that but I still think he's the best out there. Then we can get Massie in the senate, Amash as VP. Amash 2028, Massie 2036
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

Quote Originally Posted by Peace&Freedom View Post
    The 2 types don't mix; well they do, but what comes out is Ted Cruz.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Neocon View Post
    Any ideas of who that is going to be? Rand may not be the best for that but I still think he's the best out there. Then we can get Massie in the senate, Amash as VP. Amash 2028, Massie 2036
    The best national candidate (speaking without names attached) would be someone with consistently pro-liberty positions, who can and will seek out and engage reachable voting blocs beyond the liberty base. Regarding the latter, Ron and Rand did not do this. I don't see Amash or Massie doing this.

Maybe Napolitano can, Adam Kokesh more possibly can. Alex Jones could. So could the late Aaron Russo (the other guy in my avatar), but he's not among us now. Kurt Russell? I have no idea---though if he ran like one of his characters, say, Snake Pliskin, or Wyatt Earp, anything's possible. "We've had it with tyranny, the tyrants are finished! We're going to take our country back to liberty. You tell 'em we're coming. You tell 'em I'm coming! And hell's coming with me!"

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    The 2 types don't mix; well they do, but what comes out is Ted Cruz.
    It doesn't have to end up as a Ted Cruz, but the candidate has to do more than embody the liberty base. More to the point, running an education-only style candidacy does not create a winning coalition. You don't just speak core things to a core audience, you have to actively reach out to energize a mass audience, or enough segments of that audience to win.
    Last edited by Peace&Freedom; 03-24-2016 at 06:21 AM.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

Donald Trump could pick Ted Cruz
    for the same reasons why Mitt Romney
    picked Paul Ryan, or John McCain
    chose Sarah Palin. VEEPs are both very
    important and also utterly foolish
    at the same time. Lets look ahead as we
    keep our eyes on the prize. SCOTUS.

Lets forgive each other for how we vote
    or don't on the fall POTUS election. Lets
    try to back civil libertarians on the local
    level, even if its two evils we must weigh.
    if we all could agree to gather again as the
    dust clears, maybe we may find a way. a path.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Neocon View Post
    Dave Brat is probably the liberty guy with the best grasp of how to frame things in a way that appeals to the broader audience. None of the Liberty folks in the House are high profile enough to make a run yet, but under a Trump Presidency there will be plenty of opportunities for Liberty Republicans to make a name for themselves both championing (on things like immigration and foreign policy) and fighting (on Civil Rights and Civil Liberties issues) Trump policies.

the Libertarian Party is gaining converts. wonder why...

He tried to please everyone, threw the coalition his father built on the ground and tried to play nice with the left. That is why he lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Oh jeez, not this whining and bitching again.

There are just as many people, me being one, who figure we (we meaning the grassroots, loose knit coalition of Ron Paul people) were the ones who got stabbed in the back, sacrificed on the alter of political expediency, for perceived short term gain, that proved to be worthless.
    ^This. One thing to learn from Trump 2016 is if people think you stand for something, whether you actually do or not, they will stick with you. Supposedly this movement believes in free markets right? Well the market spoke. Rand's strategy didn't work. Quit blaming the customers. One thing that pisses me off more than anything is that when people talk about Ron supporters who no support Bernie Sanders we hear "Screw them! They don't understand libtard-tea!" We don't need them to think exactly like us. We need their donations and their votes! The most common complaint I heard about Rand from people who were democrats but supported Ron was "I just don't understand Rand." Who's fault is that?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    There is a shocking CBS poll out today, majority supports MAGA impeachment now. Heaven forbid if that happened, does GOP (non-Adelson wing) have a backup candidate ?
    Yeah. Pence.

Rand could take him in a primary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

If Trump loses, and I think he will, there will never be another Republican elected President. Republicans had a golden opportunity and they blew it. They didn't take the necessary steps before the mid-terms to stop the liberal agenda. They did nothing on Voter ID/voter fraud, and little on deporting illegal Democrat voters, and stopping the flow of new legal Democrat voters. They sat on their hands while tech companies ramped up their censorship of conservatives a thousand percent. Google alone cost Trump millions of votes in 2016, and the bias was just getting started. They should have been laser-focused on those three things, Voter fraud, immigration, and political bias of tech companies. Welcome to 1984.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by misterx View Post
    If Trump loses, and I think he will, there will never be another Republican elected President.

yeah, ok, right.... where did you get your polisci degree?
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Lightbulb TrExit - Trump Exit 2020

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    There is a shocking CBS poll out today, majority supports MAGA impeachment now. Heaven forbid if that happened, does GOP (non-Adelson wing) have a backup candidate ?
    Americans are clamoring for TrExit, Trump Exit 2020.

Donnell is history, the only question is who will replace him?
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

If Trump loses, and I think he will, there will never be another Republican elected President. Republicans had a golden opportunity and they blew it. They didn't take the necessary steps before the mid-terms to stop the liberal agenda. They did nothing on Voter ID/voter fraud, and little on deporting illegal Democrat voters, and stopping the flow of new legal Democrat voters. They sat on their hands while tech companies ramped up their censorship of conservatives a thousand percent. Google alone cost Trump millions of votes in 2016, and the bias was just getting started. They should have been laser-focused on those three things, Voter fraud, immigration, and political bias of tech companies. Welcome to 1984.
    If he loses.
    But he won't.
    Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Robert Heinlein

Give a man an inch and right away he thinks he's a ruler

Groucho Marx

I love mankind…it’s people I can’t stand.

Linus, from the Peanuts comic

You cannot have liberty without morality and morality without faith

Alexis de Torqueville

Those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Those who learn from the past are condemned to watch everybody else repeat it

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post

Dream on.
    And the only replacement you might get would be a communist, but you know that.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Didn't all the people with political science degrees say Hillary was going to win last time?

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If he loses.
    But he won't.
    I'm hoping for Warren to get the nomination. As creepy as Biden is I think he still stands a better than 50% chance of winning if he gets the nomination.

Quote Originally Posted by RonZeplin View Post

The way the ...exits have been going, maybe Trump will win again cos we know the Brexits, calexits, blacexit etc etc have all been duds. If you want Trump out, for your own sake, better give it a diff name
    Last edited by juleswin; 11-12-2019 at 05:26 PM.

I'm hoping for Warren to get the nomination. As creepy as Biden is I think he still stands a better than 50% chance of winning if he gets the nomination.
    Either one is toast as soon as Trump goes to his A game after they get the nomination.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Biden won't get the nomination. The senate impeachment hearings will make sure of that. For all the hue and cry over "How dare they impeach Trump" I am more and more convinced that Trump wants to be impeached for the sole purpose of destroying Biden. Why else would Trump have openly called for China to investigate Biden after the dems were already gunning for him over the Ukrainian phone call? He can't possibly think that China would actually do anything to help him (Trump). So it must have been for theatrical purposes. Pelosi didn't want to impeach Trump. She's being forced too. In the Senate the GOP is in control. They will get to set the rules, call the witnesses etc. It will all be about destroying what's left of Joe Biden's political career. Why do you think Michael Bloomberg is hinting about jumping into the race now? Just a few months ago that would have been unthinkable because Biden seemed unsinkable.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Biden won't get the nomination. The senate impeachment hearings will make sure of that. For all the hue and cry over "How dare they impeach Trump" I am more and more convinced that Trump wants to be impeached for the sole purpose of destroying Biden.
    And I think there are some Democrats who are not on team Biden who have the same agenda. Those who are on team Biden are in a pickle.

Thumbs up

Biden won't get the nomination. The senate impeachment hearings will make sure of that. For all the hue and cry over "How dare they impeach Trump" I am more and more convinced that Trump wants to be impeached for the sole purpose of destroying Biden. Why else would Trump have openly called for China to investigate Biden after the dems were already gunning for him over the Ukrainian phone call? He can't possibly think that China would actually do anything to help him (Trump). So it must have been for theatrical purposes. Pelosi didn't want to impeach Trump. She's being forced too. In the Senate the GOP is in control. They will get to set the rules, call the witnesses etc. It will all be about destroying what's left of Joe Biden's political career. Why do you think Michael Bloomberg is hinting about jumping into the race now? Just a few months ago that would have been unthinkable because Biden seemed unsinkable.

Excellent analysis!
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I agree with this, and it could very well keep Biden from getting the nomination. If that happens then hopefully it goes Warren and not Buttigieg or even Sanders. Americans have a short attention span though, and voting is still months away. If Biden does get the nomination nobody will care about this scandal by November unless someone goes to prison.

Oh goodie. Let's see how much this thread has changed since 2016. From "Go Rand!" to "Meh...Only if Trump steps down"
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Yep. Doesn't understand how politics works.

Cant' remember how many times I've heard this or that party is dead. Only to rise from the grave.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Oh goodie. Let's see how much this thread has changed since 2016. From "Go Rand!" to "Meh...Only if Trump steps down"
    Rand doesn't seem interested in going against Trump.

Robert Heinlein

Groucho Marx

Alexis de Torqueville

A Zero Hedge comment

Rand doesn't seem interested in going against Trump.
    Rand is definitely not interested in going against Trump anymore than he would have tried to run against any incumbent Republican or against his father. If Rand even considers political life after his next term, then our best shot is Trump wins 2020, and Rand runs in 2024.

Rand sold his soul.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic