Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rand is still our best shot for 2020.

Rand is still our best shot for 2020.

The Trump people really can't stand government, and they are just channeling their anger out through a counter-intuitive outlet.

Rand's Black Lives Matter campaign was a disaster but he saved face and will be a US Senator not running for re-election in 2020. If he makes the appropriate messaging adjustments, he can prove how he is the most anti-government of all the candidates and win over the Trump base of 2016.

I've been reading people suggest Amash, and while I do love the work he is doing, he hasn't shown any ability to expand outside of a libertarian base. He is no more charismatic than Rand, and Rand is still a much higher profile political figure.

To accomplish this, we should probably want Trump to lose the nomination and then obviously the GOP nominee to lose to a Democrat. That way the idea of an anti-establishment figure being the ideal nominee will still be alive and the current Trump base will still be angry and exploitable.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He has said before that he isn't running again. Who knows. I certainly hope he will. 20/20 with Rand in 2020..
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    He has said before that he isn't running again. Who knows. I certainly hope he will. 20/20 with Rand in 2020..
    Maybe we can start a Draft Rand movement. Draft Ben Carson movement scammed people out of so many million of dollars, but this would actually be a worthwhile cause.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Neocon View Post
    The Trump people really can't stand government, and they are just channeling their anger out through a counter-intuitive outlet.

Rand's Black Lives Matter campaign was a disaster but he saved face and will be a US Senator not running for re-election in 2020. If he makes the appropriate messaging adjustments, he can prove how he is the most anti-government of all the candidates and win over the Trump base of 2016.

I've been reading people suggest Amash, and while I do love the work he is doing, he hasn't shown any ability to expand outside of a libertarian base. He is no more charismatic than Rand, and Rand is still a much higher profile political figure.

To accomplish this, we should probably want Trump to lose the nomination and then obviously the GOP nominee to lose to a Democrat. That way the idea of an anti-establishment figure being the ideal nominee will still be alive and the current Trump base will still be angry and exploitable.
    Good plan, except that this scenario entails losing SCOTUS and the with it, 2nd amendment and more...

He's going to say that for probably the next year or so. I think he'll eventually take another look at it, but ultimately decide not to unless they are practically guaranteeing him the nomination.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Rand is not our best shot in 2020. He was our best shot in 2016 and performed about as poorly as he could have. It would be insane to back him again.

Not happening, give it up.

If you want to do something productive, focus on your local and state level. That stuff is easy!
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I don't doubt you, but I haven't heard him say that. I don't know if Rand has any chance, but I sure can't think of anyone else with enough connections to try running for President at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by openfire View Post
    Good plan, except that this scenario entails losing SCOTUS and the with it, 2nd amendment and more...
    Yeah, the SC was already lost when people started falling for the ruse of a carnival barker.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

I think it is hurting the movement having it become too associated with a Paul perrenial candidacy. There has to be someone else, stop thinking about the presidency and start trying to get liberty friendly people into congress and on the state & local level so somebody can rise out of that.

I think he means it. I mean he found out how all the people that should have allied and supported him were more than happy to backstab and attack him. Why on earth would he bother to give it another go? I mean the people he most aligns with worked to defeat his candidacy.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I think he means it. I mean he found out how all the people that should have allied and supported him were more than happy to backstab and attack him. Why on earth would he bother to give it another go? I mean the people he most aligns with worked to defeat his candidacy.
    Oh jeez, not this whining and bitching again.

There are just as many people, me being one, who figure we (we meaning the grassroots, loose knit coalition of Ron Paul people) were the ones who got stabbed in the back, sacrificed on the alter of political expediency, for perceived short term gain, that proved to be worthless.

If Donald Trump wins the election in November, Rand Paul could challenge him in the Republican primaries in 2020.
    Stop believing stupid things

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

There are just as many people, me being one, who figure we (we meaning the grassroots, loose knit coalition of Ron Paul people) were the ones who got stabbed in the back, sacrificed on the alter of political expediency, for perceived short term gain, that proved to be worthless.
    You never stabbed him in the back, and anyone who says you did is an idiot. However, there are people who will tell you they loved Ron Paul, disliked Rand Paul, and are supporting in some cases, and at least applauding Trump of all people. It is insane.

Did Rand's campaign screw up? Yup. But the Voters and a significant portion of the grassroots has as well.

Not all of the grassroots, not even most. But a significant portion.

Basically, lots of people suck. Hopefully someday, like a blind hog we will find the acorn of liberty. But it will take a miracle.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Exactly, my point. I don't see why he would bother trying again. It just isn't worth it since it is hopeless anyways.

Exactly, my point. I don't see why he would bother trying again. It just isn't worth it since it is hopeless anyways.
    Well, in that, we agree.

Not with this current crop of Boobus anyways.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand isn't going to happen, now, or ever. We have already seen that. He will remain in the Senate for one more term then go back to medicine. If he stays longer than two terms (or breaks whatever term limit he was advocating for) he is a hypocrite.

Quote Originally Posted by mit26chell View Post
    Rand isn't going to happen, now, or ever. We have already seen that. He will remain in the Senate for one more term then go back to medicine. If he stays longer than two terms (or breaks whatever term limit he was advocating for) he is a hypocrite.
    I disagree.. if the authoritarians in congress are allowed to stay for more than 2 terms, then the liberty minded in congress should be allowed to stay until the new terms are adopted.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

And I'm another.

It's not just Rand who is done. The movement is dead and has been for four years. Nothing and nobody is bringing it back, with one exception: the person who can figure out what it was that killed it, and who can avoid doing that thing.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

why not a rich libertarian instead? Somebody like Peter Thiel. Or Elon Musk.

Or famous, like Penn Gilette, or Drew Carey.

Quote Originally Posted by danda View Post
    why not a rich libertarian instead? Somebody like Peter Thiel. Or Elon Musk.

Or famous, like Penn Gilette, or Drew Carey.
    Stossel!

LibForestPaul

Shot for what? Presidency? Do you think it matters?

No. A quasi-libertarian as POTUS means nothing.

From reading history, it seems that peoples emotions must get riled for some libertarian issue.

My best guesses:
    51% want guns banned outright
    80% want gun laws similar to NY and NJ.

75% want Soc Sec
    80% love public schools
    90% want IRS to go after "rich" people

100% have no idea what a Fiat currency is or what the banking cartels are.
    90% have never heard of Free Masons.
    95% never heard of Bilderberg Group

95% believe in forced private integration
    99% want power over their neighbors

Again shot at what? Hamiltonians won, the Bill of Rights failed. We have a government of the moneyed interest.

Work on educating your friends and family, local issues and local power, move to Montana or New Hampshire, something of import.

I doubt it. Rand is an excellent senator, but he's was a terrible Presidential campaigner, and did absolutely everything wrong this election season. No one here or in his campaign heeded the warnings of people of like me who saw the strategy was a losing one from the beginning. It's rare that people who do poorly in a primary one election year go one to win it the next. He would have to completely reinvent himself, and, and I doubt he has it in him. He's just too thoughtful and not enough of a shark, which is why he should be President, but also why he never will.
    Last edited by ThePaleoLibertarian; 03-21-2016 at 05:47 PM.
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Chester Copperpot

Adam Kokesh 2020.. DIsband the federal govt

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I agree that Rand is the best candidate we have at this point. Though overshadowed by media, celebrity, and maybe flawed messaging this year, I can't think of anyone else who can make a stronger candidate. It's ridiculous and propaganda that the loss of one election, which almost no politician has over a 1% chance of winning, heralds the death of the liberty movement. On the contrary, the liberty movement has multiplied our representation in congress many times over - to Rand, Massie, Amash, Jones, Clawson, Blum and a handful of other allies like Lee, Brat and Sanford. A few years back, it was just Ron Paul. We have to continue to work to increase that movement and those positions, find and train up more allies, and keep the fires of liberty burning.

There are a lot of different strategies out there - for my part, I think shooting our allies or encouraging non-participation while the government steamroller runs over us is not helpful at all, and we should follow the example of Ron Paul and others, who used politics and elections to advance their principles and wake up millions of people.

Don't back down or allow ourselves to be marginalized - that's exactly what the establishment worked and paid to achieve. Not EVER going to give them what they want.
    Original supporter of Ron Paul since 2007 and lifelong supporter of liberty and the Constitution. I stand with Rand.

There's no one else in the liberty-verse with the stature to make a serious attempt in 2020.

Will he run? I don't know, I hope so.

Can he win? Yes, but much depends on events outside our control.

If 2020 is another "throw out the beaners and bomb the ragheads" type cycle, he won't win.

If it's more like 2012, focused on economic issues, he'll have an excellent chance.

Quote Originally Posted by jkob View Post
    stop thinking about the presidency and start trying to get liberty friendly people into congress and on the state & local level
    We should do both.

We're much more likely to win local and state races, but nothing brings the movement together like a POTUS run.

It's relatively hard to get people excited about state/local elections outside of their own state/locality.

Yup

I wouldn't blame him if he didn't run again, but I hope he doesn't go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Tywysog Cymru View Post
    If Donald Trump wins the election in November, Rand Paul could challenge him in the Republican primaries in 2020.
    This makes more sense than the OP. I still think Rand just doesn't have the emotional feels needed for the average voter. Rand is too intellectual and speaks way too much about things people don't understand...Trump uses feelings/emtions to get voters. Rand couldn't do that.

I wish we could put Rand's message inside of a Trump messenger!

Guys....why dont we all just run for house of representitives in the next go around....we know all of the tricks in the book. We can have the 'D' or the 'R' or whatever by our name, and we can focus onthe issue that voters care about the most (meaning showing some passion while talking to them at a second grade reading level, and trying not to get their hearts pumping too much).

Once we get in, the people are idiots, amd will re elect us again, and again, and again (see congress for evidence), and we can really stir the pot! We already have the framework and support group here.....

Go team!

TheTexan for Speaker
    RoninTruth for Chairman of the House Unamerican Activities Committee
    Last edited by Libertas Aut Mortis; 03-23-2016 at 02:06 AM.

He could be an even better Senator if he's not always positioning himself for a Presidential race.

I think the biggest issue is do you want a Ron or a Rand? If you want a Rand you need to find someone who can get through the establishment spidey senses to gain the ring of power with their support! If you want Ron we need to find a really honest ballsy speaker that can motivate people.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic